Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

The writing is fun and I'm feasting on all the whining of the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

The game is written like IS looked at the competent writing that was 3 Houses and said 'never again'.

ChrisBTY posted:

I played through all 3 paths of FATES FFS.

you seem to like Bad Writing, this is Good and Fun writing, so i can see where the issue comes from

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have 7 promoted units by chapter 12 since internal exp doesnt rise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

B: respond to a dramatic scene by muttering somebody's name ever again
this happens at the end of literally every scene in three houses

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Endorph...

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was less sick of it in 2019 so I don't remember as well.
And I called the writing competent, not amazing.
It is a blanket statement that applies to all games. It was Xenoblade 3 that pushed me over the edge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres a list of every time someone mutters someones name at the end of a scene in the golden deer + abyss dlc alone. i have randomized the order they are in. please feel free to speculate at which point in the plot each of these happens.

quote:

Claude: Edelgard...

quote:

Claude: Nemesis...

quote:

Claude: The progenitor god...

quote:

Thales: Sothis...

quote:

Aelfric: Sitri...

quote:

Nemesis: Seiros...

quote:

quote:

Seteth: Seiros...

quote:

Claude: Lysithea...

quote:

Claude: Dedue...

quote:

Odesse: Thales...

quote:

Leonie: Hubert...

quote:

Seteth: Rhea...

quote:

Byleth: Aelfric...

quote:

Dimitri: Claude...

quote:

Claude: Dimitri...

quote:

quote:

Dimitri: Claude...

quote:

quote:

Alois: Captain...

quote:

Soldier: Edelgard...

quote:

Aelfric: Jeralt...

quote:

Rhea: Aelfric...

quote:

Ingrid: Your highness...

quote:

Hapi: Yuri-bird...

quote:

Seteth: Rhea…

quote:

Claude: Lysithea...

quote:

Flame Emperor: You...

quote:

Byleth: Yuri...

quote:

Marianne: Lorenz...

quote:

quote:

Ignatz: Solon...

quote:

Leonie: Captain Jeralt..

quote:

Sylvain: Professor...

quote:

quote:

Byleth: The Death Knight...

quote:

Byleth: The Flame Emperor...

quote:

quote:

Flayn: Rhea...

quote:

Rhea: Yuri...

quote:

Byleth: My mother...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tag yourself im how many times aelfric mutters 'sitri...'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What i'm learning is people should play other jrpgs.

From all the complaints I was expecting something truly heinous but its actually just real solid if a little goofy.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
xenoblade 3 ruled and so does fire emblem engage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

From all the complaints I was expecting something truly heinous but its actually just real solid if a little goofy.
people are mostly complaining because its not like the versions of fe4 and 3h they made up in their heads after playing them once years ago and forgetting most of the details

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh dearest me, the tone of the game has changed from the rough and cool for adults Metroid to the childish and purile tones of a Sonic game, how am I to play such drivel in good conscience?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A solid plan. I would recommend Tactics Ogre: Reborn or NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

You can do a war crime in the first one! How rare is that?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

people are mostly complaining because its not like the versions of fe4 and 3h they made up in their heads after playing them once years ago and forgetting most of the details

i do wonder how people would react to playing binding blade again in this age

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I would say most FE are on the bland and lighthearted end of the scale to begin with anyway.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

I'm wondering how many of the people complaining about Alear being constantly worshipped remember 3H, the game where you are a descentdant/reincarnation/avatar of God, every student fawns over you to the point most of them will betray their country to join your house, Edelgard and Rhea specifically are unhealthyly obsessed with you even not in their route and the only people not fawning over you are Seteth (initially), Hubert (already has Edelgard for that) and the mole people who are caricature villains.

Like really, if Kris in FE12 is avatar worshuo Byleth is much worse on every level, thinking about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mostly byleth being silent allows people to project a personality they can deal with onto them. i like byleth way more than kris, robin, or corrin for basically that exact reason.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm going to keep Anna as an axe murderer and hope this game has a bolt axe.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

mostly byleth being silent allows people to project a personality they can deal with onto them. i like byleth way more than kris, robin, or corrin for basically that exact reason.

Huh, true. I guess 3H is really good at letting you project into it and fill the gaps, such as how the game has enough worldbuilding to help you develop more the countries in your mind.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm wondering how many of the people complaining about Alear being constantly worshipped remember 3H, the game where you are a descentdant/reincarnation/avatar of God, every student fawns over you to the point most of them will betray their country to join your house, Edelgard and Rhea specifically are unhealthyly obsessed with you even not in their route and the only people not fawning over you are Seteth (initially), Hubert (already has Edelgard for that) and the mole people who are caricature villains.

Like really, if Kris in FE12 is avatar worshuo Byleth is much worse on every level, thinking about it.

to be fair no one's really as silly about it in three houses as a lot of the early game cast of engage are

i do get why people overestimate three houses' writing in their memories because the supports are very good for the most part, and the broad outline of the main plot is pretty good with lots of compelling parts. just the actual execution of that plot is where it's all a mess clearly suffering from a lack of resources, and not very much happens for large stretches, so it's easy to gloss over the stuff that doesn't work in your recollection.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Miftan posted:

I'm going to keep Anna as an axe murderer and hope this game has a bolt axe.

Unfortunately she starts with like 2 MAG so to really get her in a useable magic user state you kinda need to second seal into a mage anyway

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So I think my plan for Alear is to promo him into Griffin Knight for Clear the Way (unit's space and adjacent spaces only count as 1 tile for ally movement) and give him Canter, so I can set up the positioning for his personal skill more easily. Feels like I'm constantly a few points of damage short in Maddening.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Alfred has only been getting 2 stat levelups every level... gonna have to bench him. Not like youre lacking lance users even by ch7. Also that chapter was super easy? I guess it will get worse again soon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It feels like they purposefully made Alfred and his retainers mediocre tbh so you don't feel bad replacing them with the new people coming in. Their base stats are weirdly low and their growths aren't even that great

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I beat chapter 11 and this is actually Fire Emblem Gokaiger. I hope there's a full morphing sequence before the final battle!

People mad at the writing in this should watch more tokusatsu imo

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Talking about promotions my Louis is already level 11 so I was thinking of promoting him with Anna's paralogue's Master Seal. But I'm wondering if to go General or Great Knight. General gives him a wooping 3 STR, but Great Knight has the extra move and the 3 damage reduction skill if you're sandwhiched between an ally and enemy...

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

generals are armored so can't be broken by an opposing weapon type

great knights can be broken also you get a great knight prepromote later

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you make him a great knight he takes enemy breaks again. thats the big downside to it. only armor knight and general, which are armored *type*, are immune to breaks. great knight has the armor icon so it takes extra damage from armorslayers, but its cavalry type, not armor type. yes they could have called 'armor' type 'unbreakable' or something instead and saved us all confusion.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ooh shoot I forgot about that. Yeah general 100% then, not gonna lose my only monster.

That said, promotion bonuses seem to be 1-3 stats across the boards, so I'm not sure if to wait 1 or 2 more levels for some extra Def and HP, even if internal level means there's 0 penalty for promoting now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ooh shoot I forgot about that. Yeah general 100% then, not gonna lose my only monster.

That said, promotion bonuses seem to be 1-3 stats across the boards, so I'm not sure if to wait 1 or 2 more levels for some extra Def and HP, even if internal level means there's 0 penalty for promoting now.

I mean he’s going to get better growths from promotion so if you want more stats, just promote.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean he’s going to get better growths from promotion so if you want more stats, just promote.

I think I might have been scarred by all those NEVER PROMOTE UNTIL 20!!! from decades ago.

But if I could get over using Jeigans I can get over early promotions, specialky if I can make Louis even more broken than he already is.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The combat animations are so good now. I just had Chloe dodge an axe swing only to counter with a double stab, followed up by a crit.
Now when I think back to those wooden arm swings in FE9... anyone got a gif of those?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think I might have been scarred by all those NEVER PROMOTE UNTIL 20!!! from decades ago.

But if I could get over using Jeigans I can get over early promotions, specialky if I can make Louis even more broken than he already is.

That's definitely what I've got in mind. So currently promoted units have better growths so it's worth promoting asap? And then if you hit the level cap just second seal into another/the same class again?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

*STR starved Alear gains one point in HP and RES*

Boucheron: “I was almost moved to tears to see you grow like that.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of the prepromotes, they mostly seem varying levels of 'really good' in this game. Except Fogato's boys, who both seem kinda rear end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sleng Teng posted:

*STR starved Alear gains one point in HP and RES*

Boucheron: “I was almost moved to tears to see you grow like that.”

He cries easily

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Bunet does look rear end but Pandreo's stats look pretty in-line with the other prepromotes (that aren't named Kagetsu)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Speaking of the prepromotes, they mostly seem varying levels of 'really good' in this game. Except Fogato's boys, who both seem kinda rear end.

It's almost kind of unfair how much better the units the game hands to you are than what you've been able to make yourself of the early joiners, with a few exceptions. They come in at or way above the average level for your group and with stats to show for it.

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 22, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I came across Jade and decided to reclass her into Axe Flyer because I already had Louis for a General and her growths are pretty accommodating. Having done so, I have zero regrets and she’s now a Wyvern flying agent of death whose only “problem” is that her speed isn’t the greatest so I chucked the speed wing on her, gave her Killer Lance and Axe and let her go to town and it’s beautiful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

It's almost kind of unfair how much better the units the game hands to you are than what you've been able to make yourself of the early joiners, with a few exceptions. They come in at or way above the average level for your group and with stats to show for it.

see, this really is just like classic fire emblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the earliest you can get a second seal? Anna seems like she'd very much prefer to be a Mage with those growths.