Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Harrow posted:

What's the earliest you can get a second seal? Anna seems like she'd very much prefer to be a Mage with those growths.

After chapter 8, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Protip for anyone unaware: if you scan a fire emblem amiibo*, you don't get that character's outfit, you instead get a daily ticket that can be used to purchase any of the past lords outfits, as well as one for songs. Lord outfits can only be worn by the Royal Characters™ but you only need to buy them once.

"...Well, ONE of us is going to have to change."

*or, you know, a spoofed NFC tag because amiibo prices are annoying at the best of times

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

What's the earliest you can get a second seal? Anna seems like she'd very much prefer to be a Mage with those growths.
i think the first one you get is after the battle on the bridge in chapter 8 or so. it shows up in the item shop at base

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Only chapter 8 so far but re: skills, unless I get a better plan, I plan on having everyone inherit canter

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i already liked framme so the fact that she's determined to apparently get almost every stat up across the board nearly every level-up is making her a fantastic character
edit:

Hellioning posted:

On one hand, a lot of the Alear worship is annoying

On the other hand I love Clanne and Framme being the founders, co-presidents, and only members of the Alear fan club. That is funny.
i thought you were joking but then i got their C-support and oh no, i love them??

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 22, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay I dunno which Emblem is the best for Alear, but the silliest is definitely Corrin.

One of its synch abilities is Dragon Vein, which lets you create terrain effects based on class. They only last a turn, but you can use it every turn. Except if equipped to a dragon, you can freely choose from any effect, so you can set a group of enemies on fire one turn, then put up a wall of ice to block their advance the next. Or, my favorite, surround Alear with fog, which grants 30 avoid to any unit in it. I've made a death squad of Alear, Framme and Yunaka who are just completely unhittable as long as the fog machine is lit. I'm never giving them another ring.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ChrisBTY posted:

I know I'm pretty early on but every companion is so boring I don't even want to pair them off.

Good news, you can't.

People are back to having small and limited support lists and barely interact with each other like in the older games.

I'm not complaining by the by, I understand why as there's way too many characters to write interesting lines for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

People are back to having small and limited support lists and barely interact with each other like in the older games.
That isn't true, support lists are about the same size as three houses/awakening/fates and the supports are about as long.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

holy brocc-oly, yunaka is great

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know I do sorta want to make Anna a mage, but also I already have Céline and Citrinne right here doing that just fine (and Clanne, though he refused to gain Mag for a while so has been warming the bench) so it's probably not worth the seal.

It is sorta hard to justify using units you have to train when the game hands you competent units and prepromotes at what seems to be a pretty steady rate. Which is cool, it's fun having people rotate in and out, and I guess that's where the replay value's going to come in (what if I commit to using all the Firenese units for the whole game? how busted can I make Framme and Clanne? what about if I don't use prepromotes? could an Iron Man work? etc.)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

people are mostly complaining because its not like the versions of fe4 and 3h they made up in their heads after playing them once years ago and forgetting most of the details

Is it so wrong to dream for the ideal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Is it so wrong to dream for the ideal
tbh the version of fe4 people make up in their heads after reading its wiki page is way less funny and charming than the jank-rear end game that actually exists

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

On the other hand i dont hold the series to the standard of the self imagined version of fe4, i hold it to the self imagined version of fe9

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Etie somehow managed to not beat Alcryst in any of the stats by level 10, i guess its a coinflip who I will promote now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like fe9 a lot but it feels like a vague outline of a plot and then an ending pops out. frankly feel like its the fe most deserving of a remake because it wouldnt require as much of a radical redesign as 4 but still has a lot of room for improvement. 6/7 are relatively complete and 8 doesn't really have much to expand on.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

i like fe9 a lot but it feels like a vague outline of a plot and then an ending pops out. frankly feel like its the fe most deserving of a remake because it wouldnt require as much of a radical redesign as 4 but still has a lot of room for improvement. 6/7 are relatively complete and 8 doesn't really have much to expand on.

The outlined plot, to me, is just better than 99% of what else fe that ive played has on offer, because i played it when i was 12 years old

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love the jank-rear end game that exists, though.

oh here comes the entire Thrud royal guard, 30 barons all lined up nice and orderly

and opposing them is one 13-year old scion, soon to be the last of her line because oops the entire army just died and now she's killing the duke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i made this joke already but fe4 is a gripping war drama told through the medium of a reused sprite summoning two dozen wyvern riders for no particular reason

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Y'know I do sorta want to make Anna a mage, but also I already have Céline and Citrinne right here doing that just fine (and Clanne, though he refused to gain Mag for a while so has been warming the bench) so it's probably not worth the seal.

It is sorta hard to justify using units you have to train when the game hands you competent units and prepromotes at what seems to be a pretty steady rate. Which is cool, it's fun having people rotate in and out, and I guess that's where the replay value's going to come in (what if I commit to using all the Firenese units for the whole game? how busted can I make Framme and Clanne? what about if I don't use prepromotes? could an Iron Man work? etc.)

I feel the same way except for Jean who I’ve been bringing on a lark for 10 deploy maps and the guy just keeps getting 5+ stat level ups. His personal just seems too good to pass up. But I guess that’s his unit archetype after all

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

i made this joke already but fe4 is a gripping war drama told through the medium of a reused sprite summoning two dozen wyvern riders for no particular reason

I know, it rules.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea I replayed 3H this summer and the storytelling is really dire, some lines/conversations are very good or goofy (in a good way) but a lot of it is just redundant or goofy (in a bad way) poo poo and major important events are just skipped entirely or skimmed over. It was really grating and I ended up just dropping it with a few chapters left because I was so disappointed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wasn't ready for Tiki to be so aggressively british.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
lmao this story is so dumb. (Ch. 11)

I swiped your rings while you weren't looking. Fooled you!

It knows the plot beats that it wants to get to but it has absolutely zero interest in earning them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

heres a list of every time someone mutters someones name at the end of a scene in the golden deer + abyss dlc alone. i have randomized the order they are in. please feel free to speculate at which point in the plot each of these happens.

Lmao this website can be funny at times

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You people weren’t kidding about Louis/Sigurd.

https://twitter.com/tomenheimer/status/1616998595600986115?s=46&t=98pJsG4PoNpgM9Q94_WnwA

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just bought this game last night, haven’t played a fire emblem game since the old GBA titles but I’m having a lot of fun here.

Louis is a god of war given physical form. This man has hit more crits at 2% chance than anyone else on my team and he does it all with his eyes loving closed

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TIL Emblems can appear on standard Arena. Cue Edelgard beating up a kid for 1.5x their HP with an axe :v:

At least Jean got an almost perfect level out of it, after a few almost empty levels. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing Fixed mode because my dudes will have 1-2 bad levels and then a great one. Except everyone gets Speed and nobody gets Str/Mag which is slightly annoying me.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

FrickenMoron posted:

Etie somehow managed to not beat Alcryst in any of the stats by level 10, i guess its a coinflip who I will promote now.

Alcryst's personal skill stacks activations if that helps your decision. Man doesn't need stats, just watching his allies get beat up.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo the writing is a throwback to the GBA era of FE, which was fine because it wasn’t as frilled up with some of the stuff we’ve gotten in the 3DS/Switch era. Not all writing has to be this thought provoking stuff. This does what it wants to do well, which is totally okay.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Obligatum VII posted:

Alcryst's personal skill stacks activations if that helps your decision. Man doesn't need stats, just watching his allies get beat up.

What :psyduck:

I already thought it was one of the better personal skills even if activates only once per turn, that's nuts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I've heard there's no real downside to promoting ASAP this time around because it doesn't really affect your EXP gain that much and you can always second seal if you cap out your advanced class early.

The second seal part is obvious, but what about the EXP gain part? Is that true? I'm sitting on a handful of master seals I've been hesitant to use in case I accidentally slow my own growth down with them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endorph posted:

I feel like the fact that they clearly got greenlit to make a sequel midway through Path's development screwed it's plot. So much poo poo is introduced and then ignored as obvious GO OVER IN THE NEXT GAME things.

This isn't even getting into Radiant Dawn's bizarre plot points.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh hey, i knew Anna's VA sounded familiar!

(she's also in a fuckload of other stuff, but that's the only one i've watched the english dub of)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reclassing in this is kind of interesting. I assumed when I saw how it worked that it'd be something that takes extra investment to do, but it really doesn't. Getting the required proficiencies is trivial, it just costs a handful of bond fragments and a few seconds in the arena.

But what makes it work is the relative lack of reason to class hop. You're not unlocking a bunch of different skills by hopping classes like in Fates or 3H. The real reason to change someone's class this time is if you want them to actually be a different class. I like that a lot--it allows for customization without much difficulty, but also doesn't have any real pressure to change classes if you don't feel like it.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I've gotten lucky with Celine's level ups consistently hitting speed so she just does not get hit by anything (and enough def that when she does get hit by something, it barely grazes her). I kept Celica on her for a long time just for the fact I can drop her into a group of like 6 enemies, have her destroy everything and walk out without a scratch. She's not a glass cannon, she is a regular cannon.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Huh, true. I guess 3H is really good at letting you project into it and fill the gaps, such as how the game has enough worldbuilding to help you develop more the countries in your mind.

Actually it's pretty terrible at it, at least for Byleth purposes. While silent protagonists are intended to let you project on to them, Byleth has an odd tendency to go out of it's way to comment that no, your protagonist is just a weird silent emotionless doll.

Which is funny, granted, but immersion ruining.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

Reclassing in this is kind of interesting. I assumed when I saw how it worked that it'd be something that takes extra investment to do, but it really doesn't. Getting the required proficiencies is trivial, it just costs a handful of bond fragments and a few seconds in the arena.

But what makes it work is the relative lack of reason to class hop. You're not unlocking a bunch of different skills by hopping classes like in Fates or 3H. The real reason to change someone's class this time is if you want them to actually be a different class. I like that a lot--it allows for customization without much difficulty, but also doesn't have any real pressure to change classes if you don't feel like it.

That's nice to hear, I like broad customization but the downside is that I spend 95% of the game with characters in "transition" classes so I can assemble their toolkits and I only use them in the roles I WANTED for a small portion of the game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
stat gains are so middling that I think it's expected you replace everyone as you go along. on the flipside, louis and chloe both have pretty good stat gains and explicitly don't have any replacements for their niche, so I think that might have actually been all intentional.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

mabels big day posted:

On the other hand i dont hold the series to the standard of the self imagined version of fe4, i hold it to the self imagined version of fe9
:hai:

Still waiting for my Ike Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
has anyone else been checking out the skirmish fights because jesus christ some of these maps are absolutely brutal and way harder than the storyline maps; I've gone into and bailed on several because I couldn't make it to turn three without someone dying.

Just rolled the one for chapter 11 and it is a fog of war map with your units spread across the entire middle section of the map from north to south lmfao i have to attempt it