Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nucks blog posters were saying they’re gonna do the “Bruce, there it is” every time they get scored on from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Nucks blog posters were saying they’re gonna do the “Bruce, there it is” every time they get scored on from here on out.

bruce boudreau replacing mark messier as the spectre haunting the nucks organization is truly the best future we can get from here

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I am not a sports team owner but going from a beloved player coach to a notorious hard-rear end guaranteed to be less successful on a team full of already disgruntled players seems like it's not going to be a wise move

but I am interested to see how it plays out

I remember fans celebrating Benning being fired thinking brighter days were ahead, meanwhile he seems more competent than Rutherford by the day

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

I remember fans celebrating Benning being fired thinking brighter days were ahead, meanwhile he seems more competent than Rutherford by the day

It just proves that as always I am the greatest fool

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/samanthacp_/status/1617082585590681603

everyone is sad

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
someone help me understand

the canucks season is lost, they arent making the playoffs. the best case for them is essentially the best bedard ticket they can get. bruce was losing games and taking the heat for that. Why not just keep him and fire him in the off season?

Instead you turned Bruce into a martyr of sorts, all while destroying even further your relationship with the fanbase and your reputation with the rest of the league. All so you can hire rich tochett, who despite being a thoroughly mediocre to bad coach, might activate the "new coach" bounce for a bit, making your lottery odds worse.

i dont understand

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I mean one plus side to all this is a much wider range of people are finally calling out how awful this organization is but on the other side that’s a really really low plus side.

Sports are supposed to be fun.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Here’s all you need to understand: Francesco Aquillini is a loving idiot. The team has changed players, coaches, management and nothing has gotten meaningfully better. The only constant is the owner and he will never admit he’s loving it all up

The Canucks will never get better until they are sold to someone else

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

the canucks season is lost, they arent making the playoffs. the best case for them is essentially the best bedard ticket they can get. bruce was losing games and taking the heat for that. Why not just keep him and fire him in the off season?

Instead you turned Bruce into a martyr of sorts, all while destroying even further your relationship with the fanbase and your reputation with the rest of the league. All so you can hire rich tochett, who despite being a thoroughly mediocre to bad coach, might activate the "new coach" bounce for a bit, making your lottery odds worse.

i dont understand

JR wanted to fire bruce boudreau since the preseason, iirc speculation was Aquilini wouldnt allow it because they're already paying Travis Green to have been fired, Bruce would be a second, and then you still gotta pay a third coach. JR and Aqua both seem to believe the Canucks can make the playoffs, get that sweet revenue bump, maybe make some noise and Compete. guessing JR and the team performance finally wore Aqua down on pulling the trigger on the act itself, and the rest you can attribute to them both being loving morons

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Genuinely amazing how cold and incompetent the Canucks front office has been through this entire debacle. It would have been nothing if they'd just fired him and done a "search," but nah, gotta embarrass yourself so much that literally everyone is rooting for the coach of a team that's in the lottery.

Congratulations on uniting the entire league around hating you second only to the front office that facilitated sexual assault.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Why the hell is Bruce There It Is not the thread title yet

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because the thread title had to give a 4 week notice of quitting to the previous thread it was supporting.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

More like Bruce there it isn't in Vancouver anymore.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
"veteran Canuck Curtis Lazar" says a lot

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

i dont understand

Because tanking is not acceptable to this ownership financially. They spent a decade preaching about how they need to do that to avoid a losing culture and in taking steps to do so established the deepest losing culture in the league. They want a new coach bump so they can sell optimism to STHs next year. They're bleeding renewals and are having trouble selling out the Habs on a Saturday night. Ownership is in dire straits financially and the Canucks need to be profitable somehow. You can sell a rebuild to a fanbase, but people don't show up to the first couple years and the Aquillinis simply can't afford that. So you gotta keep selling promise. So they're banking on Tocchet winning them 20 games down the stretch so they can say "see it wasn't the team we just need a few easy changes and we'll be back in the mix next year!" It's what they do every single summer despite it never working, but it's the only button they can press. Its mostly worked so far as they haven't seen half empty arenas but this is probably the last time they can do it thanks to the original Boudreau bump still giving some hope. If it doesn't work again next year (and it won't) they'll probably finally commit to a rebuild (at least verbally if not in practice). As always, it's a day late and a dollar short to do so as Bedard will go to Chicago and they'll pick 8th.

When you think of every action the Canucks take with regards to ensuring season ticket renewals remain at 80% or above year after year, it all makes a lot more sense.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Number19 posted:

Here’s all you need to understand: Francesco Aquillini is a loving idiot. The team has changed players, coaches, management and nothing has gotten meaningfully better. The only constant is the owner and he will never admit he’s loving it all up

The Canucks will never get better until they are sold to someone else

Nah, this one is on JR. He wanted Bruce gone from day one.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
nothing is on JR there. and this is with the aquilini's dad still in the picture and sort of keeping peace b/w the brothers. it's going to get even worse and it rules

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

mennoknight posted:

"veteran Canuck Curtis Lazar" says a lot

I’ve come to begrudgingly respect forwards like Lazar that provide no offense at all, are nothing special defensively but can win 53% of their faceoffs so every coach he plays for has a bottom-6 centre role for him. Objectively the team would probably be better playing an AHLer in his spot but there he is night after bight, logging minutes

Ottawa has Dylan Gambrell who scored on his first shift of the season and hasn’t had a point in the 27 games since. Not fast, can’t handle the puck and doesn’t play an overly physical game, must be good in the locker room?

https://twitter.com/shackts/status/1616962841684348929?s=46&t=CUja5h2ioWcpRRaXHQU21g

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

eXXon posted:

More like Bruce there it isn't in Vancouver anymore.

Bruce There He Goes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

i made the thread, i can CLOSE the thread, but i cannot change the title of the thread after posting it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zach Hyman passed his career high for points last night. Oilers have 34 games left.

A good signing!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1617191803983384578?t=n2iHUJZEm5Bo2_NnTCwXUQ&s=19

Wow! Any guesses as to what it's about?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

he's gettin cake

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Nah, this one is on JR. He wanted Bruce gone from day one.

JR still answers to ownership who as posted above refuses to actually take some down years and rebuild the team properly. The entire organization is a mess from ownership on down and the problems start at the very top

The Bruins completely destroyed the Canucks as an organization in 2011. The owners looked at the cup loss and said “we need to get tougher” and proceeded to completely gently caress up a team that was at the beginning of its contention window. The damage is still continuing a decade later

It won’t change until ownership changes

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm not going to lie. I'm finding all the wailing and gnashing of the teeth for legendary Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau pretty hilarious.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

Simplex posted:

I'm not going to lie. I'm finding all the wailing and gnashing of the teeth for legendary Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau pretty hilarious.

I don’t think there’s a single person who is mad about the firing being Bruce specifically other than him seeming like a good guy and not being the actual problem. If they wanted to fire Bruce you let him go, thank him for his service and hire whoever. I actually think had they done that fans wouldn’t have had much of a reaction at all especially with how the teams been so bad. I mean he was hired as an interim with no real management in place plus every new GM inevitably wants to hire their own guy.

The real issue is how this whole organization is run and hanging a guy out to dry while everyone knows he’s being replaced and also saying absolutely nothing is definitely a good reason to get frustrated especially after the last decade and how emblematic it is of this whole stupid team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://youtu.be/S0w_dcKi348

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The Bruce drama is a pretty funny footnote to however this season turns out. I wish I knew who Rickard Tokket was though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Congratulations on uniting the entire league around hating you second only to the front office that facilitated sexual assault.

Now Pens fans can correct me if Im wrong here but wasnt the whole reason Tocchet and JR were forced out of the Pens because they both ignored a credible sexual assault claim by one of the assistant coaches?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Furnaceface posted:

Now Pens fans can correct me if Im wrong here but wasnt the whole reason Tocchet and JR were forced out of the Pens because they both ignored a credible sexual assault claim by one of the assistant coaches?

Tochett was assistant on both back to back Pens teams and was offered a head coaching job in Arizona which he took. AFAIK he wasn't involved in the sexual assault.

GM JR was forced out/fired, allegedly, for trying to trade Letang and also being a raging rear end in a top hat that ownership or Mario directly finally had had enough of. I am of the opinion that they're using some of that as also a cover to be rid of him for the covering up of the sexual assault. Which was overseen by a different Penguins person who then got a job with the Minnesota Wild in Bill Guerin.

Also not lost in all this is that Mike Yeo is already in Vancouver and he is exceedingly very bad at coaching imo.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1617214293245673472

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bruce is a big giant cuddly coach that all the players seem to genuinely love. Is he top tier? Maybe not, but he’s definitely in the good to great tier of coaches. His replacement is a downgrade no matter how you look at it. If it was a huge upgrade, I think the fans would care a lot less but he’s not.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Well the Canucks are certainly winning the cup now

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Sergei Gonchar? Huh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is the turn around the Canucks need. Now to go undefeated for the rest of the season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sergei Gonchar? Huh.

He rebuilt Justin Schultz so... He might actually know what he's doing

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It’s far less about Boudreau and far more about how this has been handled. Leaving everyone twisting in the wind has been awful to watch. They did one of the worst things they could do: they left their paying customers twisting in the wind too and the fans saw it. The overall lack of respect for everyone shown has been galling to nearly everyone. We even have people who hate the Canucks rolling up in here saying “whoa wtf”

I’ve mostly tuned the Canucks out but I keep in touch with a bunch of active fans. For them this is it. They’re canceling/selling whatever tickets they have and taking a break. The whole organization needs to be rebuilt and they aren’t fooled by this poo poo. It’s the same story every year and changing coaches again isn’t going to help.

Aquallini had better get used to empty stadiums for a while

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bruce had the Canucks at a 100 pt pace or whatever last year after he tookover

RIP, hopefully he'll get one last job somewhere

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's incredible that JR somehow had the midas touch for two years, fell rear end backwards into a couple cups, then proceeded to poo poo all over the Pens until he quit, and is now doing the same to the Canucks. Those two cups pretty much guaranteed him getting another job and when he did he was sure to wreak havoc wherever he went.

I am sorry that the Pens spawned this monster CAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
A disgrace of an organisation, I hope aquilini goes bankrupt and ends up panhandling on the streets. Although I can already hear the monkey paw curling and we'll somehow end up with someone worse.

Will be interesting to see how many seats the "but ya gotta sUpPoRt Da TeAm!!!!!" types can fill night after night. Hopefully not very many.