Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ineffiable posted:

The pro move is to get the citi Costco card. It gives another 2% back on most Costco stuff and you'll get 4% on gas. I actually get a bigger refund from my credit card rewards than my Costco rewards.

This is my first year with the Citi Costco card, is the refund a check or is it voucher like the Executive reward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

david_a posted:

I use that card for all my gas & restaurant purchases, but there’s some min-max hack about using different cards at CostCo. I mean, I don’t bother and just use the Citi, but there’s a Wirecutter article about it.

I think the point of the article is that branded cards often don’t give you max rewards for that brand, since you’re already a fan and don’t need a massive incentive to buy their stuff.

I don't think there there are a lot of credit card options which give you > 2% cash back at Costco. The only > 2% options I think are like rotating category cards which are kind of annoying, and things like the Bank of America Premium Rewards card, which to get the > 2% rate require you to bank significant amounts of $$$ in Bank of America investment accounts.

IMO it's not really worth it to deal with that to chase a point in cash back rewards.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 21, 2023

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

jisforjosh posted:

This is my first year with the Citi Costco card, is the refund a check or is it voucher like the Executive reward?

In an email, you get a certificate with a barcode after your February card statement. You can redeem the certificate for cash if you give it to the person who controls access to the high ($$$/physical volume) Costco items, like Apple electronics, after the check-out lines.

I think I was told by that person that if my certificate were for more money, they could issue me a check, but because it wasn't that much, it had to be cash. I think you can also use the barcode certificate at the normal check-out line like a Costco gift card, but if you do this, you don't get the 2% cash back that you would get had you purchased with card.

edit: Whether you can get a check for the value of your cash-back instead of cash is totally at the Costco manager's discretion.

If you use the certificate like a Costco gift card in the check-out line, it doesn't hold a balance. So e.g. if your certificate is for $200 and use it to purchase $150 of Costco goods, you will receive the remaining $50 value of the certificate in cash.

This process IS less convenient than most cash-back cards. You only get the cash back once a year, and you can't get it automatically wired to your checking account. You have to come in to the Costco. They are intentionally making it harder to redeem the cash back rewards.

This inconvenience doesn't bother me too much. The annual redeeming cycle is not too big a deal to me--the cash-back money would just be sitting in a checking account anyway. I go to Costco a lot so having to go there to redeem the rewards isn't too bad. The cash thing is probably the most annoying aspect about it, but in some situations cash is more useful than card.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 21, 2023

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Johnny Truant posted:

Post the recipe!

https://www.seriouseats.com/slow-roasted-beef-tenderloin-recipe

Except I always forget to salt it the night before.

Also I coat it in crushed black pepper, and make a brandy cream sauce - after I remove the tenderloin, I add butter, a bunch of minced shallots, saute, add brandy and thyme, then finish with heavy cream.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

david_a posted:

I use that card for all my gas & restaurant purchases, but there’s some min-max hack about using different cards at CostCo. I mean, I don’t bother and just use the Citi, but there’s a Wirecutter article about it.

I think the point of the article is that branded cards often don’t give you max rewards for that brand, since you’re already a fan and don’t need a massive incentive to buy their stuff.

Normally I'd agree but the citi gives 2% at Costco (plus 4% gas, that's a real big key part) and it has no annual fee. It gives you great percentage back for no annual fee.

The way I have my credit cards are:

Citi covers my Costco and gas.

Amex blue card covered my non Costco groceries (it's 6% back)

Amex gold covers dining out and travel and anything else. (I also use $20 dining credits a month with it)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
3% travel on the Citi Costco is also pretty good for a no-fee card.

I'm not really much of a jet-setter, so I don't really see the point of getting one of those cards like the Amex Gold/Platinum/Unobtainium/whatever or the Chase Sapphire and paying the annual fee for travel perks/bonuses.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Currently eating a slice and about to blast $400 out of my wallet

Praise be

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ineffiable posted:

Normally I'd agree but the citi gives 2% at Costco (plus 4% gas, that's a real big key part) and it has no annual fee. It gives you great percentage back for no annual fee.
I don’t really like that article because they’re like “yeah this card is actually pretty good for using at CostCo, but if you have these other very specific cards you could get 2.5%!!!”

The only reason I have an Amex is that it was the previous CostCo card. At this point I only use it for groceries, but even with 6% I’m not sure I come out ahead compared to the no-fee version that gives 3%.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ask me in two weeks what exactly I planned on doing with the THREE POUND bag of tortilla chips

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Soul Dentist posted:

Ask me in two weeks what exactly I planned on doing with the THREE POUND bag of tortilla chips

Make this recipe and use the leftovers to have chilaquiles for breakfast all the days

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol I'm actually making chili verde as we speak. They and nachos are my plan but it is a lot of chips

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Those chips are pretty solid, I like how they're not overly salty. I like the Late July Multigrain ones just for snacking though

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I made a big thing of chili con carne the other week and maybe got a sixth of the way through the bag eating the tortilla chips exclusively with it

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I made a big thing of chili con carne the other week and maybe got a sixth of the way through the bag eating the tortilla chips exclusively with it

Regular spoons are for suckers when you have a bag of edible spoons

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

david_a posted:

I don’t really like that article because they’re like “yeah this card is actually pretty good for using at CostCo, but if you have these other very specific cards you could get 2.5%!!!”

They are advertising other cards because they get a commission from everyone so signs up using their link. The Costco card could be 10% back and they would still push people into getting other cards for the commission.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just destroyed a whole bag of those 4505 tajin flavored chicharrones

So good

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Sad times. Made a special trip to a distant Costco and they were wiped. Not a sea cucumber to be found. At least I got a hot dog.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is there any chance of the food court returning to its former glory some day?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

pencilhands posted:

CostCo, as much as we may be loathe to admit it, is still a capitalist company and Numbers Must Go Up. It would only be expanded if they could make enough money out of that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So good

I've been working on a bag of these for weeks

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Dick Fontaine posted:

Sad times. Made a special trip to a distant Costco and they were wiped. Not a sea cucumber to be found. At least I got a hot dog.

That's actually a win for you.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So good

Jealous AF. I haven't seen hide nor hair of any 4505 at my church in over 6 months.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

went yesterday. never go on a saturday otherwise cause I hate that it's a madhouse.

they only had 5 chickens left, but at least I got one. the baguettes were still warm. the pizza slices were super fresh. the self checkout line was short and fast. very expedient trip, felt good!

also got the boba tea mixes thanks to this thread. we tried the classic and the taro already, the taro is especially tasty. going to have to watch for when it's on sale and stock up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

Jealous AF. I haven't seen hide nor hair of any 4505 at my church in over 6 months.

Same here, they've been on the Costco shopping list since about September. I usually manage to limit myself to 1/3rd of the bag, but every now and then if I'm drinking I'll just eat the entire thing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I did it. I got the cinnamon butter loaves. I've eaten two slices already and I'm offloading one loaf to a friend. This will be eaten by Wednesday.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
the mods have been hitting the costco pharmacy coming away with pringle cans of percs and honking them down

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nom epique posted:

the mods have been hitting the costco pharmacy coming away with pringle cans of percs and honking them down

having a Biden Special $1.50 Hot Dog + Soda (With Refill) to honor OB

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Polishing off my jar of Jongga (the one with two "g"s) kimchi. Rip

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Chinatown posted:

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

canyoneer posted:

The brown sugar boba popsicles are amazing. Grab a box if you see them.

Between those and the occasional Melona, Costco's popsicle game is world class

Holy poo poo are these like the chocolate/vanilla blend bars I had as a kid like 30 years ago?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SynMoo posted:

Holy poo poo are these like the chocolate/vanilla blend bars I had as a kid like 30 years ago?

no they have boba in em

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

pencilhands posted:

God I wish, there no point to the pizza with just cheese and pepperoni options, the sausage was top tier and the vegetables were all fresh. The pepperoni is just too damned greasy for me, which is hard to do, and cheese pizza is boring, especially in pieces that big.

Don’t get me started on the loss of sauerkraut and brown mustard. Also Pepsi is quite déclassé.

Costco is maintaining prices by cutting quality, which I’m not a fan of. Hotdogs were better when they were Hebrew National too, but that was a long damned time ago.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

nom epique posted:

lol

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn you joe biden, you wont get away with this

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Went to church yesterday, I picked up a pack of those chocolate mousse jars, very much looking forward to trying one tonight!

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
Costco had white rabbit ice cream the other day and I got 2 boxes. May need to get some more, it might have been for lunar new year but I wish they stocked this permanently

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SynMoo posted:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

no they have boba in em
and no chocolate, but other than that

The good news is you can still buy the ones you want (or make them obv)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

craptown posted:

Costco had white rabbit ice cream the other day and I got 2 boxes. May need to get some more, it might have been for lunar new year but I wish they stocked this permanently

Let me guess, this was in California? I want White Rabbit ice cream, get it together east cost Costco.

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

Mons Hubris posted:

Let me guess, this was in California? I want White Rabbit ice cream, get it together east cost Costco.

Northern VA, we have a decent size Asian population here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

craptown posted:

Northern VA, we have a decent size Asian population here

I'm in Raleigh but I haven't seen those even with the CNY stuff they've had out lately. I'll keep an eye out, maybe they'll make their way down here but I think we have a bigger South Asian community than East Asian.