Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the thread keeps talking about reclassing anna into mage because of her ridiculous growth rate, so i just have to ask

can you get a second seal earlier than chapter 13? because that seems like. a long time to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yeah you find a few, mostly in chests

actually given that they're in chests you probably get one in anna's recruitment chapter, I remember getting one super early.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They show up in the item shop after chapter 8.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah you find a few, mostly in chests

actually given that they're in chests you probably get one in anna's recruitment chapter, I remember getting one super early.

cleared it just a second ago and its a master seal in her chapter

Which is still welcome as I've started hitting level 10

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’m having a hard time shaking the instinct to level to 20 before promoting even though I’ve heard that’s the wrong move this time. There’s a tiny voice like “it’s gonna gently caress up your EXP gains, look at Vander” but apparently that’s not true?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
A fire emblem without an avatar would be great. They're either pointless (GBA games) or aggressively bad (byeleth)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blaziken386 posted:

the thread keeps talking about reclassing anna into mage because of her ridiculous growth rate, so i just have to ask

can you get a second seal earlier than chapter 13? because that seems like. a long time to wait.

The shop sold 3 after I finished ch8.

Edit: Do skirmishes scale? I was thinking about leveling the Bench crew with skirmishes but it's not looking good, theyre all level 12-13 when main mission is level 10 required.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dpulex posted:

A fire emblem without an avatar would be great. They're either pointless (GBA games) or aggressively bad (byeleth)
What makes a character an "avatar" as opposed to their own character that the player happens to pick the gender of

like, literally any of the past games' lords fill the same role as alear does, how are they legally distinct

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just cleared chapter 7 and lmao Hortensia, you could have murdered Louis with a Fire spell but you had to go for show with the Engage attack dealing like 10 damage tops lmao. I feel this is where the early game hell starts tampering down. Still refreshing to be pushed into Player Phase instead of letting enemies die to a murder unit.

Also I'm crushed into Decision paralysis, not sure if to promote Chloe into Gryphon for S Lances, Wyvern to patch up attack, Celine/Alcryst/his retainers for fun, or Framme for that sweet +3 to STR and BLD (even if the gains suck otherwise).

I'm also wondering if future base class recruits will come with extra proficiencies cause otherwise you'd need prepromote Heroes and Mage Knights and etc to have those classes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

The shop sold 3 after I finished ch8.

Edit: Do skirmishes scale? I was thinking about leveling the Bench crew with skirmishes but it's not looking good, theyre all level 12-13 when main mission is level 10 required.

they aggressively scale with story progression

there is also training skirmishes, which give a blanket additional xp to everyone involved after it's done and explicitly don't kill anyone, and the trial maps you unlock after chapter 10 which do the same

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Harrow posted:

I’m having a hard time shaking the instinct to level to 20 before promoting even though I’ve heard that’s the wrong move this time. There’s a tiny voice like “it’s gonna gently caress up your EXP gains, look at Vander” but apparently that’s not true?

It seems exp scales off of an internal level count. Promoting, unlike past games (?), doesn't add to that level count this time around so the exp scaling remains unchanged. This means you should promto asap to take advantage of the higher class growths they all get.

Vander probably has a high internal level count.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's pretty silly that if I want Jade to be a Warrior and she has the proper proficiencies I have to promote her into a General and then second seal into Warrior, because promoting straight into Warrior requires 10 levels in Axe Fighter specifically, for some reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gamerofthegame posted:

there is also training skirmishes, which give a blanket additional xp to everyone involved after it's done and explicitly don't kill anyone

wait what the gently caress

does the game ever tell you this?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

wait what the gently caress

does the game ever tell you this?

After ch6 it says "tower of trials opened" at Somniel, but you cant do offline skirmishes until clearing ch11, only online ones.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

See this is the version of fe4 I make up in my head

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

It seems exp scales off of an internal level count. Promoting, unlike past games (?), doesn't add to that level count this time around so the exp scaling remains unchanged. This means you should promto asap to take advantage of the higher class growths they all get.

Vander probably has a high internal level count.

Yeah I read somewhere that Vander's internal level is 15 at the start, which is why he gets such low EXP growth, and it has nothing to do with him being promoted.

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna rip the bandaid off and use these three master seals on my level 11-12 characters.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hot drat Tikis Paralogue is a slog, this is more enemies than most chapters combined.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, I promoted Alear and Etie and the gains have been extremely helpful. My biggest question is when do you gain an Axe emblem? I want to make someone a Hero and I’ve already got enough Lance users

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I don't know if I trust that promoting early won't screw my exp gains but I might not have a choice, I really need that extra point of movement for chapter 11

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah, I promoted Alear and Etie and the gains have been extremely helpful. My biggest question is when do you gain an Axe emblem? I want to make someone a Hero and I’ve already got enough Lance users

Leif at level 2 gives you axe proficiency and you get him around chapter.. 8 or so?

Harrow posted:

Yeah I read somewhere that Vander's internal level is 15 at the start, which is why he gets such low EXP growth, and it has nothing to do with him being promoted.

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna rip the bandaid off and use these three master seals on my level 11-12 characters.

I'm in the same boat as you, there just aren't enough master seals early and I'm afraid I'll want to replace my promoted units with new guys, but hopefully they'll be prepromotes, I guess!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t know why people are agonizing over exp gains so much? If promoting lets you hit some kind of benchmark on the map you’re on (surviving another round of combat, killing in one round) it’s probably a good idea to promote.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t know why people are agonizing over exp gains so much? If promoting lets you hit some kind of benchmark on the map you’re on (surviving another round of combat, killing in one round) it’s probably a good idea to promote.

It used to be a real bad idea in the old game for a variety of reasons that don't seem to apply this time around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Promoting also gives way fewer gains in this game, you're looking at 0-2 stats across the board

Generals specifically get kinda screwed because they don't even gain move on promotion.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Zore posted:

Promoting also gives way fewer gains in this game, you're looking at 0-2 stats across the board

Generals specifically get kinda screwed because they don't even gain move on promotion.

I thought promoted classes had better growths than the base classes?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t know why people are agonizing over exp gains so much?

We all have our own kind of brain rot when it comes to FE :v: I don't care too much about exp gains or whatever, but it feels wrong to promote early when the characters are still inexperienced in the story, so I only promote after climactic story events for first time playthroughs (so after chapter 11 in this game, beating Gangrel in Awakening, etc.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Miftan posted:

It used to be a real bad idea in the old game for a variety of reasons that don't seem to apply this time around.
i liked waiting to promote as long as possible in ye olden games because hitting stat caps was always very satisfying.

Yes, nephenee, make all of your numbers green. all of them.

its no longer relevant but the habit is omnipresent

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah honestly between second seals and internal levels (assuming you all are right about that!) it feels like the only thing stopping you from promoting once someone dings 10 is lack of master seals/funds to buy them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1617186338587000833

No idea why people still give that much about boxed copies sales only. How many people here bought it digital, cause I sure did.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Miftan posted:

Tbh it was usually a good idea in the old games too, the information was just conveyed poorly so you’d assume you hosed up when your guy promotes and has 12/25 strength in the stat screen and you see how much you could have gotten instead of realizing your promotion gains/future levels still make you Good Enough. Early promotion wasn’t the mistake, making all stats not cap at 20 like FE5 was :twisted:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's basically a question of short-long term benefits that depends on the game. Things like promotion gains, available exp, caps, etc. Games like FE6 you wanted to promote earlier since the gains were busted.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i liked waiting to promote as long as possible in ye olden games because hitting stat caps was always very satisfying.

Yes, nephenee, make all of your numbers green. all of them.

its no longer relevant but the habit is omnipresent

sorry Engage... you're at the bottom!!

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 22, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Help the reinforcements dont stop on this Tiki paralogue.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ROFL Octopus posted:

See this is the version of fe4 I make up in my head

"Sigurd = Death" isn't made up from FE4, it's just fact.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Miftan posted:

I thought promoted classes had better growths than the base classes?

In general they do but thats a long term thing because its like 5-10% better growth total in most classes. You get very little in immediate power from promoting outside of move which is different than past games which tended to give more significant stat bonuses on promotion

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think promoting sets the stats to a minimum, so it still saves a few units you were unlucky on outside of maddening

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The stat bonuses are smaller but Engage also seems to be built around lower unit stats all around, so they're still significant. You still want to promote asap anyway for the new weapon access and/or extra move. I agree that General specifically doesn't care if they're promoted early or not though

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think promoting sets the stats to a minimum, so it still saves a few units you were unlucky on outside of maddening

It's not 100% that, Framme loses Res when promoting to Master Monk according to my game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Terper posted:

sorry Engage... you're at the bottom!!
three houses unfortunately loses points because the stat caps are so loving bonkers high that you'd never hit them unless you used free missions to grind one character to like level 90.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Generals don’t need move when they’ve got Sigurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Help the reinforcements dont stop on this Tiki paralogue.

They will eventually, but it takes... a while.

That map took me 45 turns lmao