Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

This little gremlin will go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Fire Emblem Engage is a big sandwich and I'm enjoying every moment. Hard is really solid at the moment, though I think Sigurd + Louis makes things a little too easy when any problem can be solved by launching him across the map like a ground-to-ground missile. Only post-Chapter 8 though, so I'm sure it'll continue to pick up.

As someone who only really remembers the post-Path of Radiance games it's funny the first three emblems you get are "Guy, Girl, and That Guy From Super Smash Brothers".

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It also can't be understated how good having no weapon levels is

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wanted to try the relay thing but it couldn't find me one to continue so I started one. I made it public but here's the code anyway in case anyone wants to continue my mess.

6RRPFGH

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think promoting sets the stats to a minimum, so it still saves a few units you were unlucky on outside of maddening

That was the way 3 Houses worked. Engage is back to every class having base stats, but the difference between base and advanced class totals is super low.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

:yeah:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Harrow posted:

They will eventually, but it takes... a while.

That map took me 45 turns lmao

37 turns, I managed to rush down tiki and ignore the last waves of 3 dragons coming in. What a slog of a map this was, jesus. Also very sneaky silver card.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Carlosologist posted:

Removing weapon levels + weapon durability seems like a complete improvement. Wonder what other traditions are best removed.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm starting to get into the meat of the game and I'm feeling overwhelmed by the sheet number of units and promotion paths I could start leading them down. I assume it's time to lock in my core cadre and focus on them?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How much does Tiki actually boost growth rates? I'm a bit scared of using her as an emblem but I do want Alear to turn into a dragon early.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Clanne/Framme are somehow supposed to be 16. I thought they were like 8

buff archer lady owns

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Why is Jean from a Prof. Layton game?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the emblem bond conversations are so half-assed I don’t know why they even bothered lol

“I’m glad to have you fighting by my side, Micaiah!”
“I’m proud of how far you’ve come, Yunaka”
BOND LEVEL UP!

“I feel like I’ve gotten stronger, Marth”
“With the power of friendship, anything is possible, Alear.”
BOND LEVEL UP!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Augus posted:

“If the pegasus is in flight, set it alight!”
BOND LEVEL UP!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

... Why is Jean from a Prof. Layton game?

Jean himself isn't sure.

"Are you sure I'm supposed to be here?" he asks, shortly before being cut in half by Emblem Marth

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

they knew

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Augus posted:

BOND LEVEL UP!
to be fair this one is accurate to the source material

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok it’s not immediately obvious. Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Augus posted:

the emblem bond conversations are so half-assed I don’t know why they even bothered lol

BOND LEVEL UP!

“I feel like I’ve gotten stronger, Marth”
“With the power of friendship, anything is possible, Alear.”
BOND LEVEL UP!

They blow really hard, they should have used that time instead to come up with paired endings

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think anything got cut for the Emblem dialogue

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapter 8 is a real drat good defense map

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Deltasquid posted:

They blow really hard, they should have used that time instead to come up with more ways to play with Sommie

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is very impressive that there are single support conversations that are longer than bond conversations from c-a for any particular pairing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean they're only like 8 lines of dialogue, but every single character/emblem combination has unique lines

that's 30-something characters, 14 emblems (counting the DLC ones), so like 3-4000 lines of dialogue

probably took at least a little time to write and also voice act

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you think Chloé's better off going Griffin or Wyvern on promotion? I can't decide if I want staff access or a second weapon type on her more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Do you think Chloé's better off going Griffin or Wyvern on promotion? I can't decide if I want staff access or a second weapon type on her more.

I went Wyvern. I'd invested a fair amount in her combat potential already (energy drop, dracoshield, seraph robe) plus you get other flying units with staff access.

For LTC stuff more staves are of course always good, plus staves are free exp when the character has no enemy in sight. Either is good.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I put staffs on my Chloe and haven't regretted it; there are so many great staffs in the game. Staffing also gives her something to do when there's too many archers about and she needs to hide a bit. Plus, she hasn't fallen off physically - I'm a fair way through now and her and Louis are the only pair from the early crew still fighting strong.

I've also kept Framme on my team - because having someone with an inventory full of staffs is appreciated - and Etie because I like her. But I really need to ditch Etie, her complete lack of defence is causing too many rewinds and I have better options sitting on the bench. Just can't bring myself to let her go yet!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Alcrysts passive is so absurd. When you have 3-4 enemies attack you he suddenly has +12 str for the next turn.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sigurd to Jean: "Should one as young as you be exposed to war?"

Also Sigurd: leaves Seliph with Oifey and uh the rest of Gen 1 happens

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Noonsaliwah posted:

I've also kept Framme on my team - because having someone with an inventory full of staffs is appreciated

same but not for the staves,

but because she's a kung fu master

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Some serious decision paralysis here with all the class/Ring options and characters. So many systems too, feels like I'm jumping into FE:Heroes after a year or two away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spoilery question for mid-game ish (Chapter 11):

I know you lose access to your emblem rings for a while. I assume you can't inherit skills from the rings until you get them back? If so, should I try to dump SP to inherit things I want, or will the rings (or at least most of them) come back reasonably soon?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I know you lose access to your emblem rings for a while. I assume you can't inherit skills from the rings until you get them back? If so, should I try to dump SP to inherit things I want, or will the rings (or at least most of them) come back reasonably soon?

You are correct. the rings you lose do not appear at all in any menus. You can't do ring room stuff with them or engrave them on weapons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Terper posted:

same but not for the staves,

but because she's a kung fu master

My framme is trash, she kept gaining bad level ups from like level 1-9 and only recently gained some good ones.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Harrow posted:

(progression spoiler)
You lose access to them for most of the game. You can't train or learn any skills with the old emblems until you get them back. The rest of the game is you getting new emblems from other regions or happenstance.

yeah it sucks

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Harrow posted:

Yes do some inheriting now especially if you want weapon proficiencies - I’m just starting chapter 15 now and still no sign of them. There’s been a couple of paralogues too so a decent chunk of time has passed. I wished I’d done a bit of inheriting before!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

lmao this story is so dumb. (Ch. 11)

I swiped your rings while you weren't looking. Fooled you!

It knows the plot beats that it wants to get to but it has absolutely zero interest in earning them.
unlike previous fire emblem games, where this would have been represented by her sprite going across the screen, a fade to black, or a character mentioning it happening offscreen in the past tense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gyoru posted:

(progression spoiler)
You lose access to them for most of the game. You can't train or learn any skills with the old emblems until you get them back. The rest of the game is you getting new emblems from other regions or happenstance.

yeah it sucks

Lol poo poo, guess I'm going to be kicking myself for not scrounging up enough SP to get Canter permanently on Louis and/or Chloé, but oh well. Not gonna go grind for it.