Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

There was a sale not long ago so I doubt it. It's what made me take the plunge to buy it.

I bought it a couple years ago and got intimidated and basically didn't play. I'm trying again but the stash, secure container, traders rep... Everything is poo poo tier.

I feel like I'm the only Standard Edition player around. My survival rate is very low, even against scavs and I only managed to kill one PMC so far (pistol duel, we both were at the start of a naked pistol run since it's basically the only thing I can afford) but every time I died to a player, it's an orange name with the king's crown icon. That means the Edge of Darkness edition, right? The one that would cost me 117$us to upgrade my Standard Edition? 6$us fees and 16$us taxes are brutal on top of that 95$us and then converting all of that in $Cad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it sucks to say but if you plan to play EFT for any considerable length of time, EOD is worth it

if you're at all on the fence about sticking with the game, don't do it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

also run your scav every chance you get, that's how you make money and get gear in this game early on

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Considering that EFT is my first >500hr game I'd say the money is well spent, but cheating and technical jank is so bad this wipe that two of my friends quit it for Star Citizen.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I suck poo poo at PvP games in general, and especially at this game. But I still love it and EOD was absolutely worth it. The trader rep bonus and upgraded stash are the perfect crutches for lovely players like you and me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I have the Prepare to Escape edition and it's good enough. The initial standing is enough of a boost to get lvl2 traders without worrying about rep (especially negative one from Skier), only cash and levels.
But I did two wipes as Standard and it's doable, you just really need those scav runs to secure items for Stash upgrades. Alpha container sucks and I never upgraded it, but I don't feel like that is the thing that slowed me down. Especially this wipe, good poo poo is everywhere, you just need to pick it up.

I don't treat this like much of a PvP game, more of a survival. Combat is an unplesant neccesity, not the main draw. The main draw for me is doing quests and building my hideout and stash. I play like a loving rat, scurrying from place to place, the main objective is to live rather than to kill.
However, there's Stirrup to be done so soon I'll engage in Factory Deathmatch :v:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Hemish posted:

I bought it a couple years ago and got intimidated and basically didn't play. I'm trying again but the stash, secure container, traders rep... Everything is poo poo tier.

I feel like I'm the only Standard Edition player around. My survival rate is very low, even against scavs and I only managed to kill one PMC so far (pistol duel, we both were at the start of a naked pistol run since it's basically the only thing I can afford) but every time I died to a player, it's an orange name with the king's crown icon. That means the Edge of Darkness edition, right? The one that would cost me 117$us to upgrade my Standard Edition? 6$us fees and 16$us taxes are brutal on top of that 95$us and then converting all of that in $Cad.

I see plenty of people who are not EOD players as I die a hell of a lot. However, I did get EOD myself and I just paid for the game with BTC as I had some laying around.

Maybe watch some YouTube videos, there's several people who do series called "rags to riches" and they often delete their secure containers and all their gear. I personally find it very interesting but they're all much better than I am at PVP and have much better map knowledge.
But we all start somewhere, right? It's tough but solo is fun. I've put over 200h into this game since Xmas all solo.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Completed friend from the West at lvl 24 lol.

Killed about 15 bears while i had the quest, and about 8 of them were while on 6/7 usec kills.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The best way to approach Tarkov is to kiss your gear goodbye as soon as you hit deploy. Embrace Death. :black101:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like I'm seeing a lot more Bears this wipe than usual. I haven't finished friend the west yet either and I just hit level 15.

I kinda wish the pvp quests were separate chains. I'm getting old and slow and my eyesight and is not great so I tend to lose most of the pvp I get into. Which I don't mind really, except when a pvp quest is keeping me from progressing down pve tasks.

I did finish Tarkov Shooter Part 3 earlier today though, so that's one pain in the rear end I don't have to worry about until next summer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Completed friend from the West at lvl 24 lol.

Killed about 15 bears while i had the quest, and about 8 of them were while on 6/7 usec kills.
What region do you play in? That’s a whacked USEC/BEAR ratio.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Bears have more drip than usual now with the new clothes and the english voice so it's understandable.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

What region do you play in? That’s a whacked USEC/BEAR ratio.

OCE. I think anyone who's been playing a while now in aus is a bear. Fresh players pick usec.

Think it was just my luck though. My squad killed plenty off usecs in that time period.

It got to the point yesterday where I was dropping dudes, and exclaiming "he was a loving bear" in frustration because I wasn't getting the task compete pop up.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
All right I am sure the Airdrop rates are really cranked up. I see them every 3 raids, and I keep getting lucky. Finally got my TNT from one, so Security 2 is making itself. I've went through my stash and boy I did have a lot of random poo poo laying around :v: Bubex, Pipe Wrenches, Rachets, all that poo poo is 60k+ and my stash was full to the brim. Still, two full junkboxes and over 2 mil roubles in the wallets, I feel very safe this wipe. Especially since It'll be a long way until I upgrade my Stash and that used to take a lot of money.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait, what?

This is a thing now? Quests for scavs?

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 23, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah it's cool but last I knew he would occasionally task you with killing scavs which seems super counter-productive

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah it's cool but last I knew he would occasionally task you with killing scavs which seems super counter-productive

I've yet to see him do that, although he does task you with killing PMCs sometimes

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Shoreline quests are the most excruciating part of this game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hello internet posted:

Shoreline quests are the most excruciating part of this game.
The threat gradients on that map for both time and space are extremely sharp. I think the chillest fight I’ve had was spotting Sanitar on the pier.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Shoreline is the worst map in the game by a pretty good margin and it absolutely needs a rework/expansion so there's actually something to see besides the resort

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

The threat gradients on that map for both time and space are extremely sharp. I think the chillest fight I’ve had was spotting Sanitar on the pier.

Now that you mention it, yeah. Pier Sanitar gave me all the time and space in the world to take it slow, reposition, and take him and his crew out one by one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
There needs to be another passage between the gas station and water treatment and boom, Shoreline fixed.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Whats a decent budget silenced gun for scav hunting?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gornostay has weaver rails and a cheap-ish suppressor. that's probably the easiest to acquire

call me crazy but i also really like tricking out a pp-19 with AK attachments. obviously you're not gonna be great at pvp, but scavs are breezy with that setup and it's an absolute laser. as a bonus it makes barely any noise even among the suppressed guns. STM-9 is similar but takes AR attachments and is only single fire. Generally more expensive than the pp-19 i believe, but has more flexibility with attachments

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Hooplah posted:

gornostay has weaver rails and a cheap-ish suppressor. that's probably the easiest to acquire

call me crazy but i also really like tricking out a pp-19 with AK attachments. obviously you're not gonna be great at pvp, but scavs are breezy with that setup and it's an absolute laser. as a bonus it makes barely any noise even among the suppressed guns. STM-9 is similar but takes AR attachments and is only single fire. Generally more expensive than the pp-19 i believe, but has more flexibility with attachments

STM is definitely one of my favorite guns. It may only be single shot but it is so easy to put that one shot exactly where you want it.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Hooplah posted:

I had a few raids where I was absolutely wrecking scavs with the pp-19.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thank you for the suggestions. Is there any reason not to use 9x19 pst gzh? I cant really shoot legs because of muscle memory.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm very serious when I say change your muscle memory. Legs are the great equalizer in Tarkov.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

poe meater posted:

Thank you for the suggestions. Is there any reason not to use 9x19 pst gzh? I cant really shoot legs because of muscle memory.

No, it's the best 9x19 you have available until you can get AP 6.3 through the workbench 2 craft. for the record quakemaker and RIP are only good if you can break that muscle memory. they can barely make it through a paca, but do absolutely massive flesh damage

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The PP-19 with Quake was my early scav murdering gun for a long time. It really is fantastic for the price.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm glad i've awoken all you 9x19 rifle freaks

i remember getting a weekly quest a couple wipes ago that was to kill a boatload of scavs with an STM-9 and it was an absolute blast. been addicted to it ever since

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
In level 25, and still run the pp19 with a dong handgaurd, butt pad and dovetail okp7.

Its fine for pvp if you fish for headshots. The recoil is so manageable, you just dump the whole mag towards their face. Accuracy by volume.

9mm struggles aiming centre mass with so many scavs wearing lvl 3 and 4 armor.

So if you can't break the habit and go for legs, the pp is a pretty great headshot hunter.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gonna get shitfaced and try to finish stirrup and secured perimeter, WISH ME LUCK I AM BAD AT VIDEO GAMES

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm always torn between bare minimum gear and trying to chad up when I do these

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I shouldn't do things

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

done! haha woo!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What was the winning kit?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

MVP kit was naked with a 5-7 and R37.F, loving up kneecaps all the way. Tried a couple shotguns and ran once with a p90 with armor and a faceshield, but predictably only got one kill with that kit before some wiener nailed me

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Buying marked keys owns. I was always afraid of losing the loot but I just bought an RB-BK for ~500k and on the first attempt I got out with an injector case :hellyeah: 9 more attempts available and it has already more than double paid for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rahu posted:

Buying marked keys owns. I was always afraid of losing the loot but I just bought an RB-BK for ~500k and on the first attempt I got out with an injector case :hellyeah: 9 more attempts available and it has already more than double paid for itself.

Last wipe I got the RB BK key, got some really hot poo poo on my first run and absolute crap for the remaining 9 so