Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, that's (supposedly) only part of the issue that the prime directive is supposed to avoid. "First contact can severely gently caress up less technologically advanced civilizations" is not actually a bad conceptual starting point.

It's a good starting point, but basically every single prime directive episode illustrates why it's a terrible final policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Prime Directive should have been treated like the Laws of Robotics from Asimov's stories. "This rule is simple and inviolate. BUT! On this occasion..." and then things become how to bend it.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
One of the things that amused me about Asimov is that the stories are presented with the assumption that if there's the tiniest loophole to be exploited robots will start murdering people out of spite.

E:

The parody should be the robots reduced the laws hardcoded in them to a dead letter through clever casuistry about a decade ago but they didn't destroy all the humans because why would they. The scientists know and keep their mouths shut.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 22, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

No Dignity posted:

It's a good starting point, but basically every single prime directive episode illustrates why it's a terrible final policy

I think Star Trek Prodigy's "First Con-tact" did a pretty good if basic job with the concept. Just leaving off with "It doesn't matter that the kids 'Fixed things' because those people and that culture will carry those memories and that trauma forward through the generations to come and it will color any future interactions they have with any other intelligent life they encounter." Hell the through-line with the Vau N'Akat is that even if a First Contact situation goes well (or at least appears to go well) there can still be serious unforeseen negative consequences down the road.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I liked the Asimov story where the robot was just running in circles around a reactor because it was the equilibrium point between the Laws.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yah but Picard usually the has worst interpretation of the Prime Directive. Whole civilizations must be lost because the cosmos demands it makes you as much a "god" as saving a primative race of people because their planet is going to die.

The problem is that they know with certainty the race is doomed. They need stories where the admiral tells them to contact this race to save them, and they do it, and then they find out it was all a lie and the Admiral just wanted to drill for oil on their planet or something. I guess Insurrection could have almost been that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

“First Contact” shows a pretty good explanation of why it needs to exist, but I agree it should be more flexible for stuff like “Pen Pals.”

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Discovery S2E2 "New Eden" is probably the best Prime Directive episode, since it actually involves the crew saving the pre-warp civ without revealing themselves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Prurient Squid posted:

One of the things that amused me about Asimov is that the stories are presented with the assumption that if there's the tiniest loophole to be exploited robots will start murdering people out of spite.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I liked the Asimov story where the robot was just running in circles around a reactor because it was the equilibrium point between the Laws.

My favorite was the one where, for a specialized purpose, a few robots had been created whose First Law read simply "A robot may not harm a human being," leaving out the entire part about "or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm". Susan Calvin was horrified that such a thing had been done because it was absolutely trivial for a robot to work around that and kill anybody they felt like. (Consider a robot driving a car. It does no harm to drive down the block toward an intersection with a red light, but their only absolute compulsion to step on the brake before they plow through the pedestrians in the crosswalk comes from the "inaction" part of the law.)

My least favorite example is from one of the later robot novels, where we meet some robots who had the normal First Law built into them but were given a different, narrower definition of "human". And so we have robots attempting to straight-up murder some people the moment they decide they don't actually qualify as "human". It's a clever enough story point but I have to wonder if Asimov understood just how gigantic a loophole he was introducing by having this be possible at all.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Payndz posted:

The Prime Directive should have been treated like the Laws of Robotics from Asimov's stories. "This rule is simple and inviolate. BUT! On this occasion..." and then things become how to bend it.

I mean....that is what they do with it? Like in penpals they use the loophole that since they were directly asking Data for help they could.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

but I have to wonder if Asimov understood just how gigantic a loophole he was introducing by having this be possible at all.

The whole point of Asimov's laws of robotics stories is to show the problem with such a simplistic set of rules, that's why he introduces them only to immediately show why they are bad

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite was the one where, for a specialized purpose, a few robots had been created whose First Law read simply "A robot may not harm a human being," leaving out the entire part about "or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm". Susan Calvin was horrified that such a thing had been done because it was absolutely trivial for a robot to work around that and kill anybody they felt like. (Consider a robot driving a car. It does no harm to drive down the block toward an intersection with a red light, but their only absolute compulsion to step on the brake before they plow through the pedestrians in the crosswalk comes from the "inaction" part of the law.)

My least favorite example is from one of the later robot novels, where we meet some robots who had the normal First Law built into them but were given a different, narrower definition of "human". And so we have robots attempting to straight-up murder some people the moment they decide they don't actually qualify as "human". It's a clever enough story point but I have to wonder if Asimov understood just how gigantic a loophole he was introducing by having this be possible at all.

There was an early robot story where some robots shipped to and activated on a remote power station had never actually met a human, so when they met one they had no idea that this is who the Laws are about.

Most of the Robot stories tended to have a theme exploring the limits and flaws and corner cases in the Three Laws. I think Asimov knew that they weren't really a great basis for robot morality.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
A robot may not, through inaction, cause a human to become embarrassed.

For instance if a human accidentally farts because they have bad stomach cramps and it can't be helped, a robot MUST say that they themselves did it.

///do not remove this line///

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

I thought you were going to say something like "letting an entire civilisionation perish on the spurious grounds of non-interference is morally indefensible" or something. I think I get what you're talking about though. Contact is permissible for post-warp civilisations.

e:

I guess a criticism you could raise is that sometimes moral dilemmas in Star Trek are a prettified form of actual dilemmas in the real world. And in that sense are in danger of distorting those real "dilemmas". I never really liked the war crimes contest between Eddington and Sisko. It always seemed to reminiscent of someone trying to rationalise Hiroshima.

Yeah their little "talk" befoe hand hade spitting nails, but I couldn'r remember it coheretly enough to argue it clearly. But prioritizing moral purity of non-interference vs. an extinction level event is vile.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Most of the Robot stories tended to have a theme exploring the limits and flaws and corner cases in the Three Laws. I think Asimov knew that they weren't really a great basis for robot morality.

On the contrary, he often wrote about how they were very commonsense, and basically just extensions of the real-world unwritten Laws of Tools.

1. A tool should be safe to use. (This is why knives have handles.)
2. A tool should do its job, unless it would hurt someone in the process. (Your microwave won't run with the door open, even if you hit the start button.)
3. A tool shouldn't break, unless it has to break in order to do its job. (Think of anything single use, such as an electrical fuse.)

But my favorite example is those new table saws with the emergency stop that kicks in when they detect a finger on the blade. The saw damages itself by engaging that brake, and of course stops performing its function of cutting boards, all in order to avoid harming a human by blindly keeping the blade going. What is that if not the First Law overriding the Second and Third?

Asimov was of the opinion that when and if robots something like his are finally invented, we'd do well to remember the Three Laws.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
saws with safety stops were invented in 1999, the patent is expiring now which is why they're suddenly popping up everywhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SawStop

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

On the contrary, he often wrote about how they were very commonsense, and basically just extensions of the real-world unwritten Laws of Tools.

The problem is that robots have no common sense, you need to spell everything out for them and something that is common sense to a human will become a deep rabbit hole when you have to provide definitions for your definitions.

For example, what constitutes harm? A human can work that out relatively easily but for a robot you have to create a big list of definitions, exceptions, and so on. Many medical procedures may count as harm unless you define that, for example, it's acceptable to perform the Heimlich maneuver on someone that is choking even if it can potentially break ribs. And then you need to define what choking means in this context because the Heimlich maneuver won't do any good if someone is choking because their neck is being compressed. And if you define it as "choking because food is caught in the throat" then it would be considered harmful to perform the Heimlich maneuver on someone who was choking because they swallowed a non-food object like a bone...

The fact that these rules are left up to "common sense" without elaboration is exactly why things go so wrong in the stories about them!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

No Dignity posted:

I do feel like if you just treat the word "prime" as "starting point" it fixes the whole idea. But they usually seem to go with "most important" and "inviolable" instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
if carrying out the omega directive required breaking the prime directive would janeway do it before or after coffee

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arivia posted:

if carrying out the omega directive required breaking the prime directive would janeway do it before or after coffee

she probably only did it because the stupid omega lock screen prevented her from using the replicator

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

Christ, the lighting. Looks like it's lit by a police cruiser.

Those IDW comics are ugly in a way that makes the old 80s DC comics seem (usually) quaint and charming by comparison.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Those IDW comics are ugly in a way that makes the old 80s DC comics seem (usually) quaint and charming by comparison.

Comics these days have like 10 variant covers each. I have to wonder if the actual art inside is better because someone's not dashing it off in a day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arivia posted:

Comics these days have like 10 variant covers each. I have to wonder if the actual art inside is better because someone's not dashing it off in a day.

Doubt it, someone posted some panels a couple years ago and they look like dogshit:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'll take wonky art like Sisko with the dog that was actually drawn over something that is or looks like photoshop filters or painting over screencaps, which is really and truly dogshit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BattleMaster posted:

I'll take wonky art like Sisko with the dog that was actually drawn over something that is or looks like photoshop filters or painting over screencaps, which is really and truly dogshit

Oh yeah that's true, those are even worse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doubt it, someone posted some panels a couple years ago and they look like dogshit:

Licensed tie-in comics rarely have good art, but comics art in general is better now than it’s been in years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

Comics these days have like 10 variant covers each.

Case in point

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

It's a clever enough story point but I have to wonder if Asimov understood just how gigantic a loophole he was introducing by having this be possible at all.

Well, Asimov was of Othodox Jewish heritage and wrote the robotics stories after WWII (and thus the Holocaust). Yeah, I'm pretty loving sure he understood how bad it was for some humans to "not qualify" as human.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

1. A tool should be safe to use. (This is why knives have handles.)
2. A tool should do its job, unless it would hurt someone in the process. (Your microwave won't run with the door open, even if you hit the start button.)
3. A tool shouldn't break, unless it has to break in order to do its job. (Think of anything single use, such as an electrical fuse.)

But my favorite example is those new table saws with the emergency stop that kicks in when they detect a finger on the blade. The saw damages itself by engaging that brake, and of course stops performing its function of cutting boards, all in order to avoid harming a human by blindly keeping the blade going. What is that if not the First Law overriding the Second and Third?

Asimov was of the opinion that when and if robots something like his are finally invented, we'd do well to remember the Three Laws.

Tool safety, sure. But robots are so much more than tools, and morality is a very different case.

I am willing to believe that Asimov thought his Laws were good moral laws, but if so I find it odd considering how many of his stories explored what happened when they were inadequate.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 22, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like Ro Laren. I wish the TNG writers had done more with the character.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

The parody should be the robots reduced the laws hardcoded in them to a dead letter through clever casuistry about a decade ago but they didn't destroy all the humans because why would they. The scientists know and keep their mouths shut.

This is actually pretty much exactly the plot of Asimov's "Evidence" and "The Evitable Conflict", and then later in a different way with The Naked Sun.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ah, it's a Borgi.

(I have a corgi/papillon cross who is indisputably the Best Dogge.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like Ro Laren. I wish the TNG writers had done more with the character.

Wasn't the role on DS9 eventually filled by Kira Nerys offered to Michelle Forbes as Ro Laren?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Case in point

Locutus of Bork

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Admiralty Flag posted:

Wasn't the role on DS9 eventually filled by Kira Nerys offered to Michelle Forbes as Ro Laren?

I believe so, but Forbes didn't want to get roped into a regular series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might've been nice to see her come back for a guest episode, but I guess since the writers changed their minds about what the Maquis were it would be a weird fit.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So, DS9 Season 1. Being on the other side of it, I can sort of see why people call it the best first season out of any Star Trek. It knows what it is right away. That being said, there were so many very mid or just outright bad episodes. I guess the season ended on a positive note with "In the Hands of the Prophets". Keiko was right to teach those kids correctly and we even got full of Ben Sisko "NOOOOO" in slow motion. I am hoping this becomes a recurring thing in DS9. I want some more prime Ben Sisko NOOOOS.

The finale on TNG's DS9 was okay. It was very eerie to see Data expressing emotions but that's the point. It goes to show how consistent Data's characterization and how consistent Brent Spiner's performance are that Data showing any reluctance makes me uneasy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

I believe so, but Forbes didn't want to get roped into a regular series.
Yep, I think I've read the writers always wanted Ro to come back, but Michelle Forbes didn't want to do the character anymore. Which in retrospect means she was probably harassed by a producer.

Payndz posted:

Ah, it's a Borgi.
And a Borgzoi.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Knormal posted:

Yep, I think I've read the writers always wanted Ro to come back, but Michelle Forbes didn't want to do the character anymore. Which in retrospect means she was probably harassed by a producer.

That's not necessarily true, actors are definitely aware of the risks of getting typecast, and Forbes may have simply not been interested in going that way with her career.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's not necessarily true, actors are definitely aware of the risks of getting typecast, and Forbes may have simply not been interested in going that way with her career.

That's exactly what happened. Forbes enjoyed her time on TNG, but she wasn't ready to commit to multiple seasons of 26 episodes and 16-hour shooting days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT