Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

My framme is trash, she kept gaining bad level ups from like level 1-9 and only recently gained some good ones.

Should I have invested all those resources in her forges into 1-2 range weapons for other characters? Probably!! But it's so much fun I don't care. No stat boosters, she's just gotten two perfect level ups (discounting build)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

acumen posted:

Some serious decision paralysis here with all the class/Ring options and characters. So many systems too, feels like I'm jumping into FE:Heroes after a year or two away.

Yeah I'm at this at chapter 18. I have so many options i dunno what to do lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
apparently, fist arts in this game calculate damage off the average of a character's str and mag

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My Anna is so bad. Gonna have to bench her cause in 7 level-ups she got 0 mag growth.

Thankfully Celine exists and Citrinne is like a light version of Constance

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have picked my units and I will drag them to the end game no matter how many bad levels they get. :colbert:

Also dear god this game just dumps so many units on your head so fast. Do later maps increase the deployment limit or is the highest I'm ever going to see 10?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
How many units is it feasible to use in this game without much extra grinding? I like being able to swap around my guys but I worry about not getting enough exp when I do.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

had anyone gotten any action on relay trials? i'm thinking that the matchmaking must be currently bugged in some way because i can never find any matches when searching (and i've tried on multiple days already) and nobody has touched my relay that's been open for a while now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the max deployment slots in this game are 14 in the endgame, you usually see 12ish around chapter 15 or so.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So for Chapter 1-5 the difficulty curve on hard was great. 6-7 was easier and 8-10 was a breeze so far. I haven't done any skirmishes but done every paralogue.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it bounces back to being somewhat difficult, but yea you're in the fire emblem curve of having a lot of tools available to you and, more importantly, the ability to timewarp to tidy up small mistakes instead of "having" to hard reset because axe dipshit missed a hit and then got crit, again

stop trying to make me use axes intsys they're all bad

also the emblem paralogues are hell and it owns

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

skirmishes and paralogues are way harder then the story quests

e: I'm at chap 18 and Framme is my main healer as a Martial Master lol, I feel I messed that up but it works. Her brother has been banished however

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 23, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is there any difference between blue proficiencies and non-blue proficiencies?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

jimmydalad posted:

Is there any difference between blue proficiencies and non-blue proficiencies?

Blue proficiencies are your unit’s base proficiencies and hence are one rank higher

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm sure it's also the only way to get S rank on multi weapon classes, like Swordmaster and Sage have natural S Ranks but Paladins have A unless it's your base one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What are the ??? weapons at the very bottom of refinement options?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tae posted:

It lets you upgrade the weapon to the next tier (Like training/Iron/Steel)

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Gods, chapter 13 is a nightmare. It's probably a perfectly fine map without fog of war but with it, enemies keep coming out of nowhere and killing my units.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tae posted:

click them and find out

its stuff like Killer Weapons, Levin Sword, one rank higher weapon, etc. You just have to look at the stats/sillouette and be able to tell

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Geez you get a lot of units so fast and they are all so likeable

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ya know, it's funny how the game has made cavalry look unappealing by giving them no unique bonus besides 1 extra move. Like why would I promote a mage to Mage Knight instead of keeping the ignore terrain bonus (which is important given +30 avoid is the minimum)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Morphogenic96 posted:

Gods, chapter 13 is a nightmare. It's probably a perfectly fine map without fog of war but with it, enemies keep coming out of nowhere and killing my units.

That's what the torches and Illumes are for! I had a great time with that map.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've run Alear/Kagetsu/Pandreo/Framme/Fogado/Diamant/Yunaka/Ivy as my main 8. But there's so many good chars I keep switching around

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
fun fact about Normal, because I'm the only person stupid enough to play it: it has a hidden 20 point hit/avoid penalty for enemies

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

the max deployment slots in this game are 14 in the endgame, you usually see 12ish around chapter 15 or so.

Cool, thanks.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Terper posted:

That's what the torches and Illumes are for! I had a great time with that map.

Between the fliers from the side and the 6 move wolf riders coming from the front it's easy to miss a spot or move a unit into a position where they're probably dead right before seeing the enemies.. Though granted, I made it to the village well ahead of the bandit so maybe I was moving too fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1617186338587000833

No idea why people still give that much about boxed copies sales only. How many people here bought it digital, cause I sure did.

Because those are the numbers we actually get in real time, rather than having to wait until the companies give out official information.

People could also buy digital just as easily for Three Houses, so it's a decent like-to-like comparison. It's possible that the pandemic shifted people's buying habits enough to account for the gap, but until Nintendo gives out some official numbers, we can't know anything there.

Incomplete information has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still better than blind guessing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh god are you going to do your Sales Expert shtick in every thread

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

I'd rather see everyone's current party members then dumb capitalism :(

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Sounds like 13-14 is a good number of units to use then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blaziken386 posted:

click them and find out

its stuff like Killer Weapons, Levin Sword, one rank higher weapon, etc. You just have to look at the stats/sillouette and be able to tell

Please tell me which one upgrades to levin, I hate swords so much since they took away range weapons again and Alear has fist for some reason as secondary weapon

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

Sounds like 13-14 is a good number of units to use then?

I'd keep a top 8 or so, with some variety to fit in. A bunch of the late skirmishes and emblem paralogues limit you to 8 people

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's the one sword with 1-2 range, it really isn't hard to find

i think it's from steel

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You know, I thought my Yunaka was freakishly blessed on Strength and Defense for a Thief, sitting at 14 and 13 at level 16, but Zelkov is level 17 with 15/14. I guess they're just like that in this game!

Tae posted:

Please tell me which one upgrades to levin, I hate swords so much since they took away range weapons again and Alear has fist for some reason as secondary weapon

Steel. It's Steel for Swords and Lances to get their magical weapons, and Silver for Axes and Bows. Sadly, the Levin Sword and Radiant Bow are good and the other two are strictly worse; the Hurricane Axe in particular is pretty garbage, being range 1 locked and a Heavy weapon, so it can't double and it goes second.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Einander posted:

You know, I thought my Yunaka was freakishly blessed on Strength and Defense for a Thief, sitting at 14 and 13 at level 16, but Zelkov is level 17 with 15/14. I guess they're just like that in this game!

I've gotten pretty unlucky with Yunaka, she's at 11 Strength at level 15. I'm not gonna replace her 'cause she's great, but it stinks!!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Barreft posted:

I'd keep a top 8 or so, with some variety to fit in. A bunch of the late skirmishes and emblem paralogues limit you to 8 people

Sounds good, ty. I'll feel it out but I'll probably go with 8 mains and 4-5 B teamers for variety.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
my alear has gotten two points of strength in 12 levels, send help

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Ya know, it's funny how the game has made cavalry look unappealing by giving them no unique bonus besides 1 extra move. Like why would I promote a mage to Mage Knight instead of keeping the ignore terrain bonus (which is important given +30 avoid is the minimum)
because the horsey gets a little wizard hat of their own and if you don't think thats rad as hell you're wrong

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

Sounds good, ty. I'll feel it out but I'll probably go with 8 mains and 4-5 B teamers for variety.

10 would be safest, but I've found more often than not I'm depending on 8 people in random skirmishes that show up so I've just gravitated towards 8 mains. chapter 18 im doing now for example has 12 people, but it's way easier then the skirmishes around me which are mostly 8 people.

Hope that makes sense? I'm playing and typing

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blaziken386 posted:

because the horsey gets a little wizard hat of their own and if you don't think thats rad as hell you're wrong

I never saw the models so I retract myself, Mage Knight is the only valid promotion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I hope not. But if other people insist on bringing up numbers, then I assume that they care about them, and if people ask questions, then I try to give an answer unless they're obviously rhetorical.

Anyway, a bigger thing than digital versus physical is just sales for games being down in the UK in general right now, outside of a handful of big releases. Engage had crazy good preorders in Japan, so I can't imagine there's anything to worry about. It's just Fire Emblem not being huge enough to ignore wider economic trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I never saw the models so I retract myself, Mage Knight is the only valid promotion.

Mage Knight gets imho the better skill of the two and I guess theoretically they're the best users of magic weapons? I made my Anna into a Mage Knight as a concession to her initial interest in axes before learning how absolutely awful the magic axe is in her incredibly frail hands. Man who the hell would even want to use this thing? I guess it's for memes where you second seal a mage into an armor knight or something.