Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I could never play Diablo 3 on the PC again after how well the controller support works on the consoles, but I've been maintaining three different stables of characters across the PS4, PS5 and Switch versions of D3

I even just recently completed an Immortal King set on the Switch last week and that's been a huge shot in the arm for killing speed and whatnot

I don't even play Seasons but I expect there's a lot of gameplay left to extract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

istewart posted:

I haven't been able to convince myself to adapt to the PC version and start over.

I mean, starting over isn't really a thing because seasons... but given the topic is about how there won't be seasons anymore to "force" people into D4 that probably doesn't help. :v:

I like the less-but-better loot setup on console and dodge rolling is always cool, but other than those I wouldn't give it up on PC. Inventory management really sucked on console and there were just enough issues trying to either attack or activate an object to annoy me. It's perfectly playable and I was surprised it was that good, but in the end it just wasn't as good.

quote:

Side note, I guess Diablo 4 is coming to base PS4/XB1? It's a bit shocking, but I guess they won't pass up that money no matter what, even if they don't want to attempt cramming it onto OG Switch. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a trumpeted launch title for next-gen Switch, tho.

I'd imagine the core dev work was for PS4/Xbone because this has been a dumpster fire of a generation start. You can try to push hardware sales by locking in first-party titles but everyone else wants that massive install base.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Mailer posted:

I mean, starting over isn't really a thing because seasons...

I meant in terms of unlocked cosmetics/pets. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge loss, especially since I didn't go very far in very many seasons... but it is a marker of progress in an otherwise ephemeral game. And it is rather sad to be without my little flaming skull and nightmare unicorn buddies.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I tend to ignore the cosmetic stuff beyond just tickmarks in a collection. A pet is required, but I've turned off the wings as they're distracting and I have only ever transmogged the one thing for the season goal. One of the reasons I find the character creator and cash shop cosmetics so funny is that your character is so tiny on the screen and you're surrounded by exploding death and particle effects. No one is going to see the face tattoo you spent hours carefully placing, and that's assuming there's an option to hide the helmet you're wearing. :v:

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I have a level 70 Wizard and want to gear her scoundrel buddy with dex gear. What’s the best way to do that?

Similarly, now that I have a level 70 that can farm, how can I best use that to rapidly get other classes to 70?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Grifter posted:

I have a level 70 Wizard and want to gear her scoundrel buddy with dex gear. What’s the best way to do that?

Similarly, now that I have a level 70 that can farm, how can I best use that to rapidly get other classes to 70?

I think the enchantress is considered the best buddy, so you could just switch and never worry about it. But if your married to the scoundrel (I get it. My buddy is a scoundrel) you can just take whatever gear you want to throw on him and make a character with dex strat and just magic the int to dex.(and have that character make them gear at the blacksmith)

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Grifter posted:

You can''t get dex on items with your wizard. Dex only shows up on items when playing a monk or dh. Your options are to create a monk or dh and find items on them to give the scoundrel or just ignore it because your follower doesn't do much.

The best way to get other classes to 70 is to go online and ask someone to power level your character. If you want to do it your self than the the best way is to level up the gem of ease legendary gem as high as possible than put it into a lvl 70 rare two handed weapon so then your lvl 1 can use that weapon. Then you go kill things on a high difficulty.

EDIT: In regards to followers they are important but only for their skills. They don't kill anything and their attributes don't add much to yours so you can ignore them. The only thing they really need are the "followers item" that makes them invincible.

AlbertFlasher fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 12, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You’ll eventually get Dex items for your Scoundrel, it’ll just be way slower. If you want to gear him up you can just make a level 1 DH and craft/reroll the items you find on your Wiz for Dex.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Grifter posted:

Make a Dex class alt, gamble/craft the gear you want on them. If you had the resources to burn you can convert items in the cube and they'll smartroll to the stats of the new class, which is a quick way to get rings/amulets that would be harder to get otherwise.

quote:

Go run whatever greater rifts you can at max speed. Get shards, switch to alt, gamble shards. To get an alt quickly geared up with non-ancient sets you can just gamble pants and then convert them to harder to get bits in the cube. If you don't have appropriate weapons to reroll you can craft rares and upgrade them until you score what you want. Ditto for rings/amulets, though those are always a pain unless you've been stockpiling and can reroll them for the appropriate stats.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The best way to use a farmable character to level other classes to 70 is to get a Gem of Ease up to level 25 then socket it in a level 70 legendary weapon (2-handed axe or something unless you're planning to level a DH) if you're not going to get somebody to powerlevel you.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Has there been any news about a new season? I can't even remember what the current season theme is it's been that long.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Next PTR late this month, new season sometime mid to late February.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

RodShaft posted:

I think the enchantress is considered the best buddy, so you could just switch and never worry about it. But if your married to the scoundrel (I get it. My buddy is a scoundrel) you can just take whatever gear you want to throw on him and make a character with dex strat and just magic the int to dex.(and have that character make them gear at the blacksmith)

If you find yourself waiting on crucial cooldowns a lot, the Enchantress is by far the best.
The rogues crit bonus looks nice, but I always switch back to ench for my rend barb or rathma necro.

Don't bother agonizing over tanking followers up with life and resist/armor, always use the "follower is immortal" unique relic and stack their main stat to the max.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I now have a Demon Hunter at 70 as well by using the gem of ease path. This turned out to be a good choice anyway because now I can use her for the Echoing Nightmare!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I've been surprised they've been doing new seasons for like the last five seasons.

And those comments in that thread oh my god.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that's the carefully cultivated blizzard playerbase lmao

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AlbertFlasher posted:

EDIT: In regards to followers they are important but only for their skills. They don't kill anything and their attributes don't add much to yours so you can ignore them. The only thing they really need are the "followers item" that makes them invincible.

A few updates ago, they added "Emanates" tag to a bunch of Legendary gear. That keyword indicates that the legendary effect will still work even if it's on your follower. So you can get a bunch of utility effects, like doubling Death's Breath drops and such, using Follower gear.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

AlbertFlasher posted:

Main stat for each followed makes their skills more potent so you should try to get them appropriate +str, +dex, or +int for your follower. However, I usually just end up rerolling the main stat on items for them on a character that will get the appropriate stat. The try hard version is to reroll the item in the cube on a character that gets the appropriate main stat

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

gariig posted:

Main stat for each followed makes their skills more potent so you should try to get them appropriate +str, +dex, or +int for your follower. However, I usually just end up rerolling the main stat on items for them on a character that will get the appropriate stat. The try hard version is to reroll the item in the cube on a character that gets the appropriate main stat

Main stat on followers stops affecting their skills at 25k (also, mainstat/vit on follower gear gets multiplied by 2.5 for those who haven't looked closely). So stack up to 25k on their sheet like your life depends on it, past that you'd like defensive stats like vit/resall/%life/armor (and if you can swing it with an enchantress, get str or dex rolls for 2.5x that roll in armor) and some life regen/life on hit is nice to have. Augments are another nice way to tack on mainstat or defensive stats so you can run the all-skills token instead of the can't-die. Between gear and damage reduction from level 100 Esoteric Alteration/Mutilation Guard, it's not nearly as hard as you'd think to gear a follower to tank GR150s without the can't die token.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Main stat on followers stops affecting their skills at 25k (also, mainstat/vit on follower gear gets multiplied by 2.5 for those who haven't looked closely). So stack up to 25k on their sheet like your life depends on it, past that you'd like defensive stats like vit/resall/%life/armor (and if you can swing it with an enchantress, get str or dex rolls for 2.5x that roll in armor) and some life regen/life on hit is nice to have. Augments are another nice way to tack on mainstat or defensive stats so you can run the all-skills token instead of the can't-die. Between gear and damage reduction from level 100 Esoteric Alteration/Mutilation Guard, it's not nearly as hard as you'd think to gear a follower to tank GR150s without the can't die token.

I agree with you and I have done this for followers. However, I feel that for most players getting two gems to level 100 for a follower is probably something considered a pretty significant investment of time and effort.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's probably not going to be your first priority when gearing up a character but in the second or third week of a season you can level up an EA/MG combo for your follower pretty quickly. There's also the natural satisfaction that comes from turning your Enchantress into an unkillable life regen machine.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Devor posted:

A few updates ago, they added "Emanates" tag to a bunch of Legendary gear. That keyword indicates that the legendary effect will still work even if it's on your follower. So you can get a bunch of utility effects, like doubling Death's Breath drops and such, using Follower gear.

What are considered to be the best “emanates?”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Flavor of Time and Nemesis Bracers went from potential BiS gear for certain specs into something you can always put on your Follower now. They can also wear sets like Cain's and Sage's or gear that would be impractical on a main like Homing Pads.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
By the way thank you to whoever recommended Chronicon. I played it all weekend and it's a very fun game. It will definitely hold me over until the new season of D3 comes out.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My replay of the Diablo series has me up to Act 2 in Diablo 2 as a summonmancer. This is going to sound weird, but I’m really missing a lot of the QoL stuff from Diablo 3. Only having a left click and right click for abilities and otherwise having to switch rmb via hotkey is something I had totally forgotten was a thing. It feels so limiting. For some reason I didn’t think D2 would feel this old.

It’s still fun, don’t get me wrong, but I just think I’ll be having a lot more fun in Diablo 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can set it up to have the hotbar autocast your RMB skill so that it's functionally the same as D3 at least. D2 still has its own problems like permanently having no inventory space and potion chugging, though.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

exquisite tea posted:

You can set it up to have the hotbar autocast your RMB skill so that it's functionally the same as D3 at least. D2 still has its own problems like permanently having no inventory space and potion chugging, though.

On consoles is it auto cast?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can do it with just kb+m by enabling Quick Cast skills. A controller will also let you assign abilities to a single button.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Lincoln posted:

What are considered to be the best “emanates?”

The aforementioned Flavor/Nemesis Bracers/Cain's/Sage's are all useful, Broken Crown can be useful to get you more gems when you need them, Homing Pads let you town portal at will, and Spaulders of Zakara can spare you the trouble of repairing your gear.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AlbertFlasher posted:

By the way thank you to whoever recommended Chronicon. I played it all weekend and it's a very fun game. It will definitely hold me over until the new season of D3 comes out.

One of us! New dlc comes out soon. The first one is worth it too imo.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
so good to see Diablo is coming back for a fourth movie

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if you die in an echoing nightmare in hc, does your character perma die, or does it work as some kind of challenge instance?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You die. I think only set dungeons you don't really die.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think the thing that d3 does that other ARPGs don't do is that you can change your build around as you unlock new runes and abilities, so its much easier to make each character different. Also leveling 1-70 is a VERY different experience from 70 torment 1-10, which is itself a different experience from climbing GRs. Also leveling 1-70 is completely optional (due to how easy powerleveling is, and how easy it is to find someone to help you after the first week or so of a season) so it doesn't get too old.

And the best thing is that you find a LOT of cool gear while you're working toward your perfect build, so you try out a lot of builds by necessity, but not necessarily the same builds. Like, say you're working on jade harvester set, but you don't have a good weapon or all the pieces for it yet and you get a dagger of darts. Hell yeah you're probably going to try it out until you find something that fits the build you're working towards. I think I like leveling through torment 1-10 the most for that reason.

Every other RPG is like, "you have to plan out your whole build from level 1or get punished". and "skills have levels, just because you have the skill doesn't mean you can use it, you gotta level up 5 more times before its actually good"

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

A Moose posted:

Every other RPG is like, "you have to plan out your whole build from level 1or get punished". and "skills have levels, just because you have the skill doesn't mean you can use it, you gotta level up 5 more times before its actually good"

This thing you're bringing up as a negative is literally the Diablo 2 is better because argument. It's usually framed as "investment" or "build diversity" because those sound a lot better than "you're screwed if you don't do your internet research first".

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mailer posted:

This thing you're bringing up as a negative is literally the Diablo 2 is better because argument. It's usually framed as "investment" or "build diversity" because those sound a lot better than "you're screwed if you don't do your internet research first".

Not another d2 vs d3 argument on the internet. :yikes:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Not another d2 vs d3 argument on the internet. :yikes:

Nah, now it's all about D3 vs D4 and whether or not D4 is enough like D2 to be good unlike D3. :v:

But seriously, that negative is considered a positive. I don't personally agree with it but that's why you have locked-in builds and trap choices in 2023.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I feel like a lot of the rpg fanbase has Stockholm syndrome. Holdovers from the early pc gaming era where, since it was all new, the fun thing for devs was to troll the player (I know most of the lovely doom / duke / quake maps I made were that way too).

D3 had the crazy idea of "hey what if we make it fun" and old nerds got mad. Hell I loved, and still do love, EverQuest, but that whole "oh you need to work for it" poo poo in RPGs needs to die.

The skill freedom and ability to experiment is a great thing in d3. The endgame is pretty short lived, but the itemization is the real low point to me. But even then, I still have fun playing 2-3 weeks for a season here and there. Just like I enjoy PoE for a little most seasons, but can't be arsed to grind multiple characters a season in it.

Last epoch is fun and good, and is kind of in the middle of the two extremes. The "honeycomb" skull thing in Undecember looked pretty neat but the monetization and rootkit for installation just turned me off from even trying it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
D3 has the best endgame party gameplay in the genre (& arguably casual party grinding also) and is also the most accessible. You kinda hop in and slay dudes with a good build within a few hours. The way drops/rerolling drops works encourages sharing between even random players you don't know. The lack of trading/market is a gigantic plus but progression still remains compelling.

Those are its biggest strengths to me, and I wish a competitor would come up that prioritizes those things. There are so many MMOs/ARPGs that would work better & in less anti-player ways with the self found + group donor + reroll a bad stat design. So many that would work better with time burner grinds/daily commitments removed. D3 still has carefully planned/designed grinds, but it does them in a "pure" way like older games that sold at box price and didn't care about engagement metrics/mtx.

Mailer posted:

d2 has free resets now and then easy to pay for ones after the first 3

people who make that argument about commitment are rose colored glassesing pretty hardcore for a game that hasn't existed since... ever. It has always been easy to get power leveled in d2 even in 1.01 aka release patch.

D2's current rerolls fit the game perfectly. The "best" part of the game is the journey/power spikes you face along the way. This does encourage exploring considering you can't shift points constantly, but locking people into a build in endgame would be bad design. It's a great balance of not encouraging players to tediously respec constantly while leveling to min-max & still allowing practically free endless respecs at endgame. It really fits how D2's combat is designed and plays out -- skill points are your power level until very endgame.

D3 having infinite respecs all the time fits its design. You're not going to swap between elements constantly while leveling or when certain rifts pop. In d3 you end up with a build for x,y,z and switching makes sense based on the activity. When leveling, items are your power level rather than skills in d3. So being able to swap skills to match the items you find also makes a ton of sense.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
for me, the argument over D2-style skills versus D3-style skills is less about how easy it is to swap between them (as has been mentioned, D2 is pretty liberal about that nowadays) and more about the second-order consequences of the design

basing everything off of weapon damage means there's never a "gear agnostic build" that you can use, which can matter when your gear still sucks. In a way, D3's Normal difficulty being very easy mitigates against some of that, along with the meta that barely anyone really goes through Diablo 3's leveling from absolute zero anymore, but it can still feel like a drag when your weapon is 10 levels behind and the regular drops are complete rear end