Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hackan Slash posted:

I liked the overdrive system because it encouraged you to not always do the "optima" sequence, or to plan out what you're going to do.

Or even just hot swap and then plan new poo poo. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the Overdrive system is good and the gameplay would be significantly worse without it. I do wish more bosses messed with the gauge, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
without the overdrive system there wouldn't be much point in having so many abilities.

Innocuous Owl
Apr 9, 2011

Sneaky Pig!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5bcI8qDHA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, the Overdrive system is good and the gameplay would be significantly worse without it. I do wish more bosses messed with the gauge, though.

I want this and more moves that care about where you are in the gauge or have a draw back like "this move does x and raises your heat significantly". It didn't need a lot more just a little bit more zest.

Like the randomage showed they knew they could get wild by hiding it from you, so its something they obviously thought about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I want a move that lowers the gauge but poisons me while doing a little damage and then a character whose gimmick is they get more damage per debuff.

Every character should be as weird and gimmicky as the optional members.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 22, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Beat Xenoblade 2 after having the same experience as in Xenoblade 1 where I spend a ton of time grinding up stuff in anticipation of getting ~everything~ and then just get so tired of it I go straight to the ending. I didn't even do most of the game sidequests this time either.

It's hard to really sum up my feelings about this game, someone put it best by saying it is the best 7/10 game you will ever play and that seems almost perfect aside from some terrible, terrible ideas. Let's start with the major features of the game

The Story: So XB1 is kind of a homage and/or inspired by 90s anime? I've seen that mentioned before, and XB2 is coming off as more mid 00s anime, with the usual comedic harem stuff with a completely unaware protagonist who happens to be pretty boring or unlikable yet somehow girls constantly fall in love with him.

Rex might be the dumbest, most unlikable protagonist I've seen in a long time. Whenever anything is happening in game he's almost certainly the least interesting part of the encounter. It doesn't help that his VA is just honestly terrible. It was bad, not bad enough to take me out of the experience, up until chapter 7 where from the game context there is a 'screaming to the heavens in sorrow' moment and Rex sounds like he's bummed his coffee order was incorrect, just "...noooooo...." while the animation model is head wrenched back, mouth wide, eyes closed, fists clenched.

Everyone else is generally much better, to the point that every seen where Rex is talking to someone specifically, all you are thinking is "man it would be a lot better if Poppi/Nia/party member were chiming in now too". There's a ton of possible dialogues too, with all the rare blades and various combinations that the vibe and personalities of the cast shines through pretty well. I skipped most of the blade missions, but the ones I did were pretty good, even with the weird mix of voiced and unvoiced scenes back to back.

Story overall, extremely anime and kind of dumb at points, but good enough to keep my interest to the end. It does have the problem of trying to be dark and dramatic while also trying for slice of life hijinks humor and not pulling it off that well. It just seems like too many writers working on it didn't have a clear idea of what the overall plot was supposed to be. Lots of things mentioned or referenced seemed really important and then just nothing ever comes back up, so it's part of the overall feel for the game.

Combat: Divisive as hell, but the core concept is great, almost perfect even. Literally the only problem with the combat is because they tied it into the insane gatcha rare blade system with it's too many unique weapons and abilities that are locked to specific characters. Also the AI but that's usually more hits then misses as long as you stack the options in your favor i.e all healer blades on your healer member, all tank blades on your tank.

If you want to enjoy the combat, you need a party with the tank/dps/healer set-up, that is also capable of throwing out the break/topple/launch/slam driver combo (at minimum up to launch), with a good set of elements for building up the blade combo to hit a chain attack at 50% health or when they get their enraged boost. So many things that aren't necessary to deal with combat, but it's the difference between taking 30 seconds to kill an enemy and 3-4 minutes. Quite often you will be more or less unkillable by an enemy 10 levels lower, but without hitting those 2 combos it's a slog.

By endgame, I stuck with Rex/Nia/Tora because with PoppiQTpi and even just the story plot blades you are able to easily do the full driver combo and can swap in the element blades you need. Kind of made the other 2 party members feel like extra baggage at that point as well.

Now, the biggest problem with the game,

The Rare blade system. This was done so poorly that since it is also so integral to the entire game it really drags down the rating of this game as a whole. There's a comment I saw about this game, that players can be divided into two categories, the ones that pulled Kos-Mos early on and the ones that didn't. The gatcha mechanic is so hosed that the more you pull, the smaller the chance of getting a rare gets, and so the lowest % rares get exponentially harder to pull. I lucked out pulling only on the DLC added cores, and maybe ~200 rares to get all but one blade, Newt, and decided I was done.

Then, the blade affinity tables, also something designed with the expectation that the player would just pull on crystals early on, get a good set of rares, and run with them throughout the game, swapping in and out as needed. The whole problem with this is that the driver combo abilities are only on specific weapon types, and generally 1-2 weapon types max per party member, so you're going to have to shuffle everyone every single time if you are trying to pull off consistent driver combos while also hoping the AI is doing it right.

For the main story blades, trust levels of 9-10k make sense because they will be in your party 100% of the time. For rare blades, why the gently caress are some given comparable trust requirements? It is expected they join your team and you almost never swap them out? That is counter to the entire way the combat system is set up. Also, with all of this, the rare blades are 100% luck, and if you pull 3 healers on your tank, lol.

Overall, it sounds bad, but is perfectly serviceable unless you have the absolute worst luck, and you'll go through hundreds of common blades and will probably just use them instead when needing specific element/weapons. You just don't get to enjoy using all those cool unique looking blades unless you powerlevel or dial the combat down to easy.

Shout out for some other terrible things

- Field Skills, again having to just shuffle around your blades to meet some number requirement. Just pointless busywork and worse for trying to farm for collection items because of how many different skills they have.
- The chapter 7 dungeon is basically adding a story/plot device that severely impact the game's combat to the point that anyone talking about it online has the same advice of just running past all the enemies in it.
- Merc Missions as a feature takes way too much time, it's basically an idle mobile game mechanic where people just click "send" and then let the game run for X hours until done.
- Ursula's Merc Mission, takes ~20 hours minimum, which removes her from your party the entire time, so if you aren't doing the idle game thing you lost a rare blade for ~25% of your playtime.
- The sheer volume of items, equipment, gear etc. that feels like 90% of it is worthless. Looking up some endgame stuff, it even says that most of the +stat stuff is meaningless you only want stuff that improves driver combos or blade swapping.
- Tiger Tiger. The normal version sounds insane, just completely unenjoyable. I played it a lot and still never found anything more then rank 3 stuff, even in level 5.

At launch I can only imagine how this game broke people with it's original design. Playing this years later with all the improvements and DLC, also having played the Definitive Edition of 1 really make me think that I should absolutely wait for XB3 to get its full DLC and updates before playing because the launch version of the first 2 were terrible.

On an unrelated note, there were several weird things throughout the game I couldn't tell if it was just unfinished content or maybe censored or something? This is the only one that really stuck in my mind but the entire scene and context was so weird I couldn't help but think I was missing something.

Amalthus seeing his mom after she was killed, the scene focuses on the plates and glasses of the sleeping bandits, was it implying they ate parts of her or something? There's the one off mention the Indoline people are very long lived when you first meet him, I thought it could've been like how Albinos have been killed in the past because their body parts are perceived to have magical powers

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

it's been years and I still have a healthy dose of extremely rational and justified rage at Tiger Tiger

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Xenoblade 3 has no real flaws
Play it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah xenoblade 3 isnt really getting patches to 'fix' it or anything its just, a finished game. xb2 was a jank-rear end mess because half the dev team got pulled off it to help nintendo with breath of the wild, and xb1 was jank because it was made on a shoestring budget. xb3 had no such complications, it was coming off a very successful game and they had a solid like 4 years to make it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly the reality of what happened to the dev team is more insane than half of them getting pulled off. all of xenoblade 2 was made through contract work because monolith only got to keep their r&d staff. it's insane the game even runs

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
Shadows over Loathing was not as bean-heavy as West of Loathing, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Diofield Chronicles is a plot 100% made for me and thats lovely. It aint told right and could, in my opinion, use a little bit more flourish, but Im here for it. Probably would have sold better if its gimmick to the story was upfront, but part of why its so enjoyable is that lack of upfrontness.

Shame the game proper is so competent but empty of depth or interest or anything that its firmly in mediocrity and slipping into bad or I'd recommend someone else play it.

Edit: It is so committed to its bit the character dossiers and notes all update after you beat the game and have to load an otherwise meaningless clear file to see everything

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 22, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got kind of fatigued by the end of XBC3 and also did not like the equipment system but other than that it was pretty drat good.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Crystal Project is very good. Really like the progression and fights. I had 2 boss fights back to back where only my Hunter was alive (barely) but their final attack and the DOTs on the boss finished them before the party wipe. Now I've got a two handed blood sword and the Reaper job which goes from 115 health the 1st turn to almost 800 if I do enough damage. It rocks.

2022 was a good loving year for RPGs or at least the kind I like. Xenoblade 3, Chained Echoes, and Crystal Project. I wouldn't even have known about the last 2 if not for this thread.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
been playing armored core 3. just found out that there's an armored core novel with a female protag called brave new world and honestly her design kinda rocks. wanna read this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I got kind of fatigued by the end of XBC3 and also did not like the equipment system but other than that it was pretty drat good.

I think playing it back to back with XBC2 is burning me out because I am totally getting exhausted, I might switch to something else

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think playing it back to back with XBC2 is burning me out because I am totally getting exhausted, I might switch to something else

Cannot wrap my head around doing that, especially since they're doing like 2 batches of DLC and nowadays I don't really play games more then once.

Gonna take some time away from 2, then come back and get the last rare blade, play new game+ on easy with the Japanese VA.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i need 2 splat3 again....

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Something that occurred to me, aside from 1-2 crashes, XB2 is one of the most stable, bug free massive open world games I've played.

How was it at launch? Literally every ubisoft open world like AssCreed launches in a hilarious state of bugs and problems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

Something that occurred to me, aside from 1-2 crashes, XB2 is one of the most stable, bug free massive open world games I've played.

How was it at launch? Literally every ubisoft open world like AssCreed launches in a hilarious state of bugs and problems.

I fell through the floor one or two times, I think there was one quest that was bugged, a few misplaced markers or whatever but it worked fine iirc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah it had massive jank but that was design level jank, the actual game itself ran totally fine

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The most performance jank XB2 has is how hilariously low the dynamic res will go undocked.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Motto posted:

The most performance jank XB2 has is how hilariously low the dynamic res will go undocked.

It wouldn't have been too bad if it had a bit of a sharpening filter like 3 does but uh, yeah instead you got Vita soup graphics

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It will always be some kind of cosmic joke how Monolith's blueprint for the Xenoblade series involves some of the biggest and most ambitious sweeping open area design in any JRPG and a tremendous amount of time and effort spent on visuals, but the entire series is localized on a group of relatively underpowered Nintendo consoles so to achieve their design goals they're forced to literally invent new graphical techniques and heavily modify existing ones in order to achieve playability.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 23, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i spent over 130 hours in XB2 without a single crash or bug. might be a personal record?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kanos posted:

It will always be some kind of cosmic joke how Monolith's blueprint for the Xenoblade series involves some of the biggest and most ambitious sweeping open area design in any JRPG and a tremendous amount of time and effort spent on visuals, but the entire series is localized on a group of relatively underpowered Nintendo consoles so to achieve their design goals they're forced to literally invent new graphical techniques and heavily modify existing ones in order to achieve playability.

Games run and look fine OP

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, how many references to other Xeno games are in XB2? It felt like literally everything chapter 8 and on is referencing stuff all the way back to the original Xenogears.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Games run and look fine OP

I enjoy both XB2 and XB3 a lot, it's just funny as hell that Monolith had to invent brand new adaptive resolution mechanisms to stop the games either grinding down to 2 fps or exploding the switch into shrapnel fragments.

It's like a company pushing the boundaries of complex 3D visuals primarily developing their games for the Game Boy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Nintendo would just be cool and release their games on PlayStation as well or something. So many of these Switch exclusives deserve better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

I wish Nintendo would just be cool and release their games on PlayStation as well or something. So many of these Switch exclusives deserve better.

Works on my machine OP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanos posted:

I enjoy both XB2 and XB3 a lot, it's just funny as hell that Monolith had to invent brand new adaptive resolution mechanisms to stop the games either grinding down to 2 fps or exploding the switch into shrapnel fragments.

It's like a company pushing the boundaries of complex 3D visuals primarily developing their games for the Game Boy.

I might be getting whooshed but isnt that literally the origin story of Star Fox?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

So, how many references to other Xeno games are in XB2? It felt like literally everything chapter 8 and on is referencing stuff all the way back to the original Xenogears.
that stuff's mostly referencing the ending of Xenoblade 1. There's a few small callbacks to Xenogears/Saga but its much more subtle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DioField Chronicles problem, mechanically, is it is 99% the chaff encounters in any given RTwP game. It is constituted mechanically of all the stuff people want to remove from classic RTwP. It sort of leans into it a little by trying to make itself a time attack game, with each stage having a sub 6 minute or very very rarely a sub 8 minute reward. You will without difficulty be screaming past those timers doing donuts on their lawn by end of chapter 1 and the game never ever really gets harder.

There are a couple of nods to this idea, with the occasional "a team member must go out of the way to get this optional objective" but by the end they gave up and those optional objectives are on the critical path. There are 0 unique encounters in the entire game, the final boss is merely a souped up regular foe. There are maybe two encounters that have any kind of gimmick to them and one feels accidental. Its like they realized what they should be doing more of way too late into development and shoved the half cooked thing out.

It also doesn't help that long, long before the end game you will run out of mechanical progression too. The last set of new items is introduced at the start of chapter 5 of 7. Weapon equipment determines what skills your characters have and from the start of chapter 2 to the end of the game you can see what the best in slot weapons will provide with skills and they never change so leveling any other skills is just for fun.

Conversely, the ability system is so slow and for many characters inconsequential that I think I looked at it maybe once a chapter. In a game where max level is 50, and you get one point per level up, having skills cost 10 points sure is fun. Its also, you know, not really balanced so on some characters I couldn't possibly have enough and on others I was like sure whatever good enough.

I could go into more of the mechanical nitty gritty of fighting but nobody is gonna read that. Its missing the finesse to do interesting things and the automation to make that more fun.

Story Alert: I finally got the SRPG story I wanted, devoid of stuff I can't stand. Theres no ancient magical mcguffin, no god battling, just humans doing poo poo and technological progress* A sequel would probably ruin that but it'll never get one so Im safe. It did irk my "how the hell is anybody getting logistical deliveries" sensibilities but look I got my biggest asks so its hard to complain too much. Rias is my new favorite SRPG character and the way the game breadcrumbs stuff to you in a way most people are sort of conditioned to ignore is great and makes the game extremely satisfying narratively. Whats really great is it makes each and every one of your companions little interactions just a tinge dark and made them feel purposeful and interesting in a way something like Fire Emblem just loses me on.

*Theres a dumb as gently caress too advanced tech thing visible in the background of the final battle Im ignoring cause the plot sure did and would not function if such a thing was in the game and I dont even think anyone mentions it so Im gonna pretend its not there.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 23, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i hope nintendo's next console is also the size of a small paperback

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, question for people:

Does Shulk from XBC1 read as autistic to you? I've seen it come up more than once and I wanted to see what people thought of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Barudak posted:

I might be getting whooshed but isnt that literally the origin story of Star Fox?

Pretty close, though in Star Fox's case there weren't really any mass market video game consoles available at the time that could do what they were trying to do with Star Fox substantially easier.

Monolith has basically decided to be world champion sprinters that compete in every competition while wearing Goku's training weights from DBZ.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

So, question for people:

Does Shulk from XBC1 read as autistic to you? I've seen it come up more than once and I wanted to see what people thought of it.

What do you think about it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Junpei posted:

So, question for people:

He reads as boring to me fursonally OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shulk is cool