Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

happyhippy posted:

They are loving jedi. Green titty milk aint going to splash any where.

Well I mean that's the star wars problem isn't it, whether this spectacular extreme and loving dangerous environment is something that matters to the characters or not. Obviously wrt buckets this is some small ball, but my inclination is to err on the side of the location actually mattering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

henkman posted:

I'm glad we didn't have to see them jerking off a giant alien

It's X JAKK's turn to troll today

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm sorry

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You know when watching Andor i sometimes just think about the emperor screaming unlimited power and my dumb brain finds it incredibly funny that these two things exist in the same franchise.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

hemale in pain posted:

You know when watching Andor i sometimes just think about the emperor screaming unlimited power and my dumb brain finds it incredibly funny that these two things exist in the same franchise.

Just lmao if you don't think Trump screamed ultimate power multiple times in office while serious poo poo was happening

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Kingo Ligma posted:

Just lmao if you don't think Trump screamed diet coke multiple times in office while serious poo poo was happening

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

hemale in pain posted:

unironically the mark of a great setting imo is being able to run the spectrum of tone like this. The best worlds are the ones that can handle the stupidest poo poo and the most serious poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Best Buy has the Jason Statham 6-Film Collection (Blu-ray + Digital) on sale for $7.99. Shipping is free

Included Films:
Wild Card
War
The Bank Job
Transporter 3
Crank
Crank 2

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fury Road is right up there as not just a great action movie, but one of the best movies of all time, regardless of genre.

Agree, it may very well be one of the top 3 or maybe even hold the top spot for peak like, everything. It's a pinnacle of filmmaking.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

Agree, it may very well be one of the top 3 or maybe even hold the top spot for peak like, everything. It's a pinnacle of filmmaking.

Exactly, beyond the amazing visuals and stuntwork, it's just a wonderfully made film. There's zero fat or filler, everything is designed to serve the plot and keep it moving along. It's something every aspiring filmmaker should watch if they want to know how to make a truly great film.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mozi posted:

my favorite part of fury road is when mad max turns to furiosa and says 'boy, i wish i had made that turn onto happy road instead'

the joss whedon cut of fury road was unfairly maligned imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mordja posted:

Fury Road needed quips. It was soooooo self-serious.

that's bait

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Furiosa: We have to find Mad Max.
Nux: For the Fury Road.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

arsenicCatnip posted:

unironically the mark of a great setting imo is being able to run the spectrum of tone like this. The best worlds are the ones that can handle the stupidest poo poo and the most serious poo poo

Unfortunately with the way the production machine operates its less a case of letting the setting breathe and explore the spectrum and more a case of finding something that gets popular and doubling down on that. That's why Mando season 1 was good and then we got an average second season and two dumb knockoff shows with the Book of Bob and Larry Kenobi.

If Andor was a bigger hit you can be sure that Disney would be going hard on making every new star wars show dark and gritty. But apparently Andor has had lower views than any other star wars show.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mordja posted:

Fury Road needed quips. It was soooooo self-serious.

“Mad max? Seems more like you should call yourself CRAZY max!”
*pause for audience laughter before cut*

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably andor's biggest problem audience wise is andor, ie who cares about the guy andor, and why would your average person give a show about him of all things the benefit of the doubt at this late date. Being dark and gritty should barely even enter the conversation.

Not to say that the disney brain trust won't read that as the problem regardless, especially when it's already convenient for them to do so

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's a star wars thought: lots of primary protagonists of the disney era are played by hispanics. oscar isaac, pedro pascal, diego luna. I think it's cool :)

the disney films/live-action TV shows tend to be pretty diverse in terms of ethnicity and gender in general and disney doesn't seem to draw an undue amount of attention to it, at least from what I've seen. that's cool

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Disney plus, Netflix all have the same fundamental problem: a complete and total misunderstanding of where responsibility for audience lies and how audience growth works.

If the first episode of your new show isn't a slam dunk success you don't have a creative problem; you have a marketing problem. If you're haemorrhaging viewers in season 3, then you have a creative problem.

We all know that every single massively successful show in history, from the dizzying heights of star trek TNG to the consumerist trash of the office (US), would have been killed by a streaming service before it got big.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
If you think about it, the perfect movie would be some mashup of Freddy Got Fingered and Speed Racer

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hemale in pain posted:

i saw fury road twice at the cinema and i should of gone more

same. such a great film

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

kalel posted:

the joss whedon cut of fury road was unfairly maligned imo

https://i.imgur.com/TsE4RAn.mp4

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

i saw fury road twice at the cinema and i should of gone more

maybe you should have gone to English class instead

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

lmao

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kalel posted:

maybe you should of gone to English class instead

*should have

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I saw fury road in a theater with really lovely sound so it was a slightly bitter experience. I could tell how awesome it would have been but didn't get to personally experience it. Home theaters win it again, neighbors permitting

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I saw fury road twice in pretty small cineplex screens

So if I buy a 80" tv and a 4k player now, how close can I replicate the low end cinema experience?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I saw Fury Road.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

I saw Fury Road.

Congrats!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I saw the film Fury, then the film Road and it was a weird double feature

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I saw Fury Road.

gently caress you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Barudak posted:

I saw the film Fury, then the film Road and it was a weird double feature

Fury isn't a bad flick at all. It pisses off a lot of people for various reasons and makes historians pull their hair out but it's cool seeing Shermans and Tigers going at knife fighting distance and Shia Laboeuf making everyone uncomfortable in every scene.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't deny the "I also saw X" conversation is never a great one, but please take into account the alternative was continuing to talk about andor

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I haven't watched any Asian Crime Movies this weekend because I started watching some random season of Great British Bake Off instead

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I haven't watched any Asian Crime Movies this weekend because I started watching some random season of Great British Bake Off instead

Don't worry, when they get to international week you will undoubtedly see many, many Asian crimes.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im still watching drive to survive on netflix. it's absolutely reality schlock for men

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I can't deny the "I also saw X" conversation is never a great one, but please take into account the alternative was continuing to talk about andor

sounds like you hate diversity. remind me, how many of the protags of fury road aren't white? yeah, didn't think so.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went to the wrong theater and ended up seeing Furry Choad instead.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went to the wrong theater and ended up seeing Furry Choad instead.

Turn on your theater projector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

furry choad was seriously good and i dont usually like prequels