Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Tiny Timbs posted:

Forget production values and get 10 years of Robert Stack in you

lol

it's just so bad. and the information was often wrong or embellished. a lot of those cases were probably solved or simply suicides anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Aight, so I watched all of Mindhunter on this thread's recommendation.

i watched season 1 and enjoyed it quite a bit. but then i jumped into sesson 2 and still have like half the season to go. this was months ago. idk if it just started to feel stale or what. i should jump back in and just get it over with

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

ShoogaSlim posted:

i watched season 1 and enjoyed it quite a bit. but then i jumped into sesson 2 and still have like half the season to go. this was months ago. idk if it just started to feel stale or what. i should jump back in and just get it over with

Second part of season 2 is incredible

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Also didn't someone mention Tokyo Vice? I like the actors in it.
Tokyo Vice is decent although it definitely left some stuff unfinished for its second season. The bevy of excellent actors is definitely the highlight.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just discovered Tacoma FD and it’s fantastic. Jokes come thick and fast, great stuff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's one really good, creepy, and disturbing episode of Junji Ito Maniac and it's the third one with the balloons. The rest are okay at best, annoying at worst. Definitely skip the first episode, it's nothing but anime characters whining and screeching. I also recommend skipping both episodes with the kid that always has nails in his mouth.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

toggle posted:

I’ve just discovered Tacoma FD and it’s fantastic. Jokes come thick and fast, great stuff.

whoa, never heard of this. definitely gonna check it out

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

toggle posted:

The elevator episode had me rolling

“I gotta fart”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anything ever actually get answered in Servant? Are any of the mysteries satisfactorily resolved? I tapped out 2/3 of the way thru season 2 because it just seemed like it was spinning its wheels

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
For those who don't know, Tacoma FD is a very casual comedy spearheaded by half of the Super Troopers guys. It's fun. Sirens is similar, so if you've seen one of those try the other.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anything ever actually get answered in Servant? Are any of the mysteries satisfactorily resolved? I tapped out 2/3 of the way thru season 2 because it just seemed like it was spinning its wheels

They just stop mentioning some of them and move on to new ones, so, kind of.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Hell yeah there’s a junji ito anime series on Netflix

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

LifeLynx posted:

There's one really good, creepy, and disturbing episode of Junji Ito Maniac and it's the third one with the balloons. The rest are okay at best, annoying at worst. Definitely skip the first episode, it's nothing but anime characters whining and screeching. I also recommend skipping both episodes with the kid that always has nails in his mouth.

That's a bummer I finished the first episode and was wondering if they'd get better.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Adult Swim's Uzumaki adaption is supposedly coming out this year, so there's other Ito stuff to look forward to.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inspector Hound posted:

They just stop mentioning some of them and move on to new ones, so, kind of.

That sounds annoying

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

(Mindhunter)

ShoogaSlim posted:

Same here, not sure why I lost interest.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

precision posted:

Oh no, that 90s show exists now

I don't completely hate it!

Main reason I want it to be renewed for at least 4 seasons is to see Eric's reaction to The Phantom Menace.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Main reason I want it to be renewed for at least 4 seasons is to see Eric's reaction to The Phantom Menace.

Nerd out and re-edit it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mirror123 posted:

That's a bummer I finished the first episode and was wondering if they'd get better.

Yeah, it's just kind of lukewarm. I'm not really sure of the point? I mean Ito's stories are pretty much 'I drew these crazy panels, better think of a few lines of story to connect them.' But then they toned down the graphic nature of the art. All the stories are as deep as an elevator pitch.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't think all art has to have a deeper meaning and "one time something spooky happened and everyone died, the end" can be enough for 22 minutes. They're just neat little short stories.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
for short scary stories, i enjoyed yamishibai which is probably streaming on Crunchyroll. love japanese ghost stories which are just like "you gotta be polite to this ghost or else" or "gachapon machine that makes you old"

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

smackfu posted:

(Mindhunter)

Same here, not sure why I lost interest.

Personally it seemed to be spinning it's wheels a bit and never really got to what I assumed was the point, being they keep showing BTK a lot and they were probably going to, eventually in like season 5 or whatever they were planning, deal with the fallout that the FBIs profile of BTK was wildly incorrect and call into question the point of all this research into serial killers, like how in season two the guy they got in Atlanta (like in real life), probably didn't do all those murders.

So we just watch Holden and crew fumble around a lot, never really digging into if what they are doing helps at all or is just misleading, after all, they only talk to serial killers that get caught and profiling is bullshit (imo, but it is).

They had neither poo poo nor got off the pot yet and the show got cancelled.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm generally not an anime liker fwiw, but I do think Junji Ito's art is pretty cool. From the little I watched of that show it seems like total rear end though. The animation sucks and does no justice to his illustrations, the theme song is literally one of the worst things I have ever heard and the vibe is right in line with the thing that generally makes me hate most anime, which is feeling like it's something made for small children except edgy. I couldn't even stomach 15 minutes of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Paul T. Goldman final episode was pretty much everything one might've hoped for. Revelations, crazy spinoff poo poo, and meditation on fact and fiction and the meaning of life and why we do what we do. Really excellent series.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm generally not an anime liker fwiw, but I do think Junji Ito's art is pretty cool. From the little I watched of that show it seems like total rear end though. The animation sucks and does no justice to his illustrations, the theme song is literally one of the worst things I have ever heard and the vibe is right in line with the thing that generally makes me hate most anime, which is feeling like it's something made for small children except edgy. I couldn't even stomach 15 minutes of it.

The first episode really kinda sucked and it felt like a weird choice to begin the show with. It improved after that (I've only gotten through 3 eps though), so if you're an Ito fan I'd say try again at ep 2.

Definitely agree on the OP/ED songs.

I had no idea this series was coming out until someone made a post about it. I had been looking forward to the Uzumaki anime which I've learned has been delayed for a third time and currently has no release date. There's about 15 seconds of footage buried in the middle of this update video, but it looks absolutely killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQOO8Y1Ck0

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The dichotomy with Ito has always been that he's an amazing artist but his stories are usually kinda thin and weak, so I'm not surprised with regards to the quality of that Netflix adaptation. Uzumaki was one of those few exceptions of his where all the elements came together.
Well, other than the brilliance that is Junji Ito's Cat Diary.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The dichotomy with Ito has always been that he's an amazing artist but his stories are usually kinda thin and weak, so I'm not surprised with regards to the quality of that Netflix adaptation. Uzumaki was one of those few exceptions of his where all the elements came together.
Well, other than the brilliance that is Junji Ito's Cat Diary.

Dude's like sketch comedy where there's more misses than hits, but the hits are really good and memorable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

That 70s show famously never set a year that it took place in, and would just grab random pop culture from throughout the decade. They'll probably do the same thing with this show

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mystes posted:

Are you quite sure about that?

Whoopsy my bad. The menu is HBOmax. And it is good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nihonniboku posted:

That 70s show famously never set a year that it took place in, and would just grab random pop culture from throughout the decade. They'll probably do the same thing with this show

Pretty sure there was an episode(s?) where Eric and his friends freak out over Star Wars? :confused: Or did you mean something else?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

teagone posted:

Pretty sure there was an episode(s?) where Eric and his friends freak out over Star Wars? :confused: Or did you mean something else?

In the first season nonetheless.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

teagone posted:

Yes, you're right. I think you're misunderstanding me. I was trying to say that we won't necessarily have to wait 4 years for them to do a Phantom Menace episode, because the show is not necessarily adhering to a specific timeline.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sirotan posted:

The first episode really kinda sucked and it felt like a weird choice to begin the show with. It improved after that (I've only gotten through 3 eps though), so if you're an Ito fan I'd say try again at ep 2.

Definitely agree on the OP/ED songs.

I had no idea this series was coming out until someone made a post about it. I had been looking forward to the Uzumaki anime which I've learned has been delayed for a third time and currently has no release date. There's about 15 seconds of footage buried in the middle of this update video, but it looks absolutely killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQOO8Y1Ck0

Yeah this like night and day in terms of quality. That, I will watch if it ever comes out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes, you're right. I think you're misunderstanding me. I was trying to say that we won't necessarily have to wait 4 years for them to do a Phantom Menace episode, because the show is not necessarily adhering to a specific timeline.

Ahh. Got it. But the opening sequence does show each year on the license plate. Does that count as setting a specific-enough timeline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1z51vDQPo

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the current year of That 70s show is visible on the license plate at the end of the opening credits. the entire show takes place from '76-'80 iirc

efb

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

teagone posted:

Ahh. Got it. But the opening sequence does show each year on the license plate. Does that count as setting a specific-enough timeline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1z51vDQPo

Hmm, I remember it how I said it from way back in the day, but maybe I heard wrong!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

God Hole posted:

the current year of That 70s show is visible on the license plate at the end of the opening credits. the entire show takes place from '76-'80 iirc

efb

Refer to my 4 hour video essay

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lol

it's just so bad. and the information was often wrong or embellished. a lot of those cases were probably solved or simply suicides anyway.

It's a pretty good nostalgia hit and now you have the added benefit of seeing if they ever got the people in question. Then out of nowhere, an occasional X-Files episode.

I think the only similar show to rival it in any way are the 35,000 episodes of Forensic Files.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

JUNG_E was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I watched Paul T Goldman on Peacock. I was okay with it when they started and they were just doing the reenactments about his life. But as the series went on, he continued to admit that he made more and more of it up. And then the show kind of lost me as they started filming sequels to his life story, that were no longer based in reality at all, and he was trying to build his own cinematic universe starring him and his clearly uninterested son in their efforts to take down an international human trafficking scheme run by his ex-wife. At first I was optimistic that he was in on the joke, but he only thinks he's in on the joke. The man is truly delusional.

I also watched season 1 of American Auto, which is competent, but not particularly funny.