Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah. There was some hope that it was just a matter of a separate trailer production team going for a weird tone that wouldn't necessarily be reproduced ingame, but now it sure seems like that was on purpose and the whole game is like that. :psyduck:

sounds like they forspoke too soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aside from the dialog, what I remember about Forspoken was a bit of mild confusion among the FFXIV community when it's existence was first teased. Its title came out in a leak about upcoming SE projects after Shadowbringers was released but before people knew the name of the expac that was going to follow it, so people for a while assumed that the next expac was going to be called Forspoken.

The director Yoshi-P came out and said no, that leak had nothing to do with FFXIV and Forspoken was something else. A bit later the devs revealed the expac's title was Endwalker and that was that.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Remember folks, if you don't like writing in video games or something, you're free to strip naked and live in the woods as nature and Tom Clancy intended.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I feel like this is a good reaction pic, maybe someone will like it. (Lost Judgment - 2021)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tag urself

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

tag urself

I'm this new potential gang tag:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s got kind of David Cage vibe. The slightly uncanny facial expressions and stilted speech.

David Cage wishes he sounded that natural.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Do zoomers like that type of writing maybe and all of us are just too old for it?

EDIT: I mean...someone must've thought that it was a good idea.

The writing leads on Forspoken are thoroughly gen-x Joss Whedon wannabees. The zoomers I talk about games with at work think that Forspoken looks "cringe" while my old rear end millennial brain is wondering if Buffy really didn't age well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Forspoken, more like...Poorly Spoken.

:dukedog:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Morter posted:

I'm this new potential gang tag:

While accurate, I'm not sure it's something I want to advertise - right now it's kinda on the down low. But having said that, maybe it pays to advertise?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Forjoken

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i will forgive a lot in forspoken if, at the end of the game, your character asks their love interest out or confesses their love, only for the love interest to be like sorry, i'm spoken for

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

I'm going to become the forejoker

mystes
May 31, 2006

Artelier posted:

i will forgive a lot in forspoken if, at the end of the game, your character asks their love interest out or confesses their love, only for the love interest to be like sorry, i'm spoken for
dadjoken

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm going to become the forejoker

Great, now there's four of them?!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm catching up on some Let's Game It Out, and I'm curious: How fun is WorldBox? Is it like some open sandboxes where a few fun things can happen but you realize it's quite repetitive at the end of the day, or is genuinely and consistently interesting with emergent events and progression?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Black Griffon posted:

I'm catching up on some Let's Game It Out, and I'm curious: How fun is WorldBox? Is it like some open sandboxes where a few fun things can happen but you realize it's quite repetitive at the end of the day, or is genuinely and consistently interesting with emergent events and progression?

its the former but they keep updating it which adds some freshness to it, the next update is adding a political layer with clans and bloodlines. it probably wont be very deep but its a fun enough sandbox to pop into every once in a while to gently caress around and see whats new.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

Can’t help you there but the part where everyone screams from taking hunger damage at the same time is at least in my top 3 Lets Game It Out moments.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

ShadowMar posted:

its the former but they keep updating it which adds some freshness to it, the next update is adding a political layer with clans and bloodlines. it probably wont be very deep but its a fun enough sandbox to pop into every once in a while to gently caress around and see whats new.

Yeah I gave the free phone version a try, but I'm noticing that it's something I want to have running on a desktop at the very least, so I guess I'll wait to see if it ever goes on sale.

buglord posted:

Can’t help you there but the part where everyone screams from taking hunger damage at the same time is at least in my top 3 Lets Game It Out moments.

Incredibly alarming and disturbing. So good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

The last time I checked it out (a few years ago on mobile) it didn't seem like anything really 'happened' in it. Like you could place creatures and civilizations but essentially all it was doing was making a map, little dots would run around seemingly at random and delete each other and stuff like that. I was disappointed at the time but the idea of the same thing with some actual simulation behind it sounds cool so hopefully this + other systems work out well, I love the idea of it as just like a sort of virtual ant farm.

e: This post is mostly just because I am surprised that they are expanding that side of it at all, and it sounds kinda rad.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 23, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone know what is going to happen with Marvel Avengers after they delist it?

Seems like a dumb but fun comic action game with a decent enough plot that just farted out various 'expansions' in an irregular manner.

Will the game be playable or is that gaas infrastructure going to mean it locks you out of like half of the stuff?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pentyne posted:

Seems like a dumb but fun comic action game with a decent enough plot that just farted out various 'expansions' in an irregular manner.

Will the game be playable or is that gaas infrastructure going to mean it locks you out of like half of the stuff?
The full details

All the gameplay content was free (except for Spiderman who will forever remain a Playstation exclusive). All of the cosmetic crap available in the marketplace, challenge cards and shipments will be granted to everyone for free on March 31, alongside the final content and balance update.

Single player and multiplayer will continue to be available after September 30, supposedly with some tech changes to "ensure as long a life as possible", albeit without any guarantee they'll be able to fix any issues that crop up after that date. Limited time events will continue on a fortnightly rotation.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

They've said it will continue working as a game for the foreseeable future, even multiplayer, and they're making all the previously pay-only cosmetics free.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have to wonder if they had a better license agreement than Marvel Heroes. Really was a shame when that disappeared.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

buglord posted:

I think the end of Junkyard Truck made my #1, which is surprising given how low-investment it was. It was just so genuinely and completely unexpected.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just got the Rainworld dlc and noticed a few odd things.

The dlc was part of a mod load menu and was not enabled on start up. Its been so long I don't recall if I modded the game or not. Is it supposed to be unloaded at first?

I use a DS4 and the controls are weird. Some of the buttons are swapped around and trying to select a new controller preset in the steam configurator quietly closes the configurator window. It's weird and annoying. I hope someone else has had the same and knows what might cause this.

Tried playing as Gourmond for a bit but couldn't quite understand the few hints the game gives you at the start. They're so oddly written. He can make meals or something?

He has even less guidance than baseline slug cat and a odd starting location. Not sure what they expect of me so Im just gonna roam I guess.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So Shadow of War is in the GOG sale, and there are apparently some significant downsides to playing the game without the Steamworks integration; nevermind the lack of friends list integration features, apparently there's just straight up no function to reassign your champions to move them between regions. Is that as big of a deal as it sounds like? It sounds like kind of a big deal.

Then again apparently Shadow of Mordor just retired the Nemesis Forge, Vendetta missions, and leaderboards so who knows how long SoW's Steamworks functions will be around either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Then again apparently Shadow of Mordor just retired the Nemesis Forge, Vendetta missions, and leaderboards so who knows how long SoW's Steamworks functions will be around either.

What? That’s lovely.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So Shadow of War is in the GOG sale, and there are apparently some significant downsides to playing the game without the Steamworks integration; nevermind the lack of friends list integration features, apparently there's just straight up no function to reassign your champions to move them between regions. Is that as big of a deal as it sounds like? It sounds like kind of a big deal.

Transferring captains from one region to another costs resources and is usually not even that great because new regions that you try to take over have generally higher level enemies anyway.

I've beaten the game 3 times already and I rarely used that feature. It's mostly only useful on highest difficulty to resorve massive fuckups.

It sucks that they're shutting down online features but I guess that's modern gaming for you.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I haven't played chess in years, and was feeling the urge. That's when I noticed my insanely old Chessmaster game was removed from steam.

Are there any equivalents to the old Chessmaster Grandmaster edition on steam? I tried the search and it was abysmal.

Also if there's any recommendation for a specific release of GO I'd love to hear it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The online features of SoW where the part of the product you tried to interact with the least, they added nothing but grind for most players trying to enjoy the "game proper". There's probably one guy who enjoyed crafting misery captains to annoy other players in multi, and yes for him this is a great loss. Otherwise meh.

edit: I think I transferred one captain who was a plot character to a place that had significance to him before he got lobotomized, but there was no special dialogue/cheevo, so it was all wasted effort *shakes fist*

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Demilich posted:

I haven't played chess in years, and was feeling the urge. That's when I noticed my insanely old Chessmaster game was removed from steam.

Do you mean it was removed from your account? That's very rare, iinm.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Did they replace it with Chess 2 at least?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rinkles posted:

What? That’s lovely.

I think it happened at the end of 2021, it was not a recent thing.

Serephina posted:

The online features of SoW where the part of the product you tried to interact with the least, they added nothing but grind for most players trying to enjoy the "game proper". There's probably one guy who enjoyed crafting misery captains to annoy other players in multi, and yes for him this is a great loss. Otherwise meh.

edit: I think I transferred one captain who was a plot character to a place that had significance to him before he got lobotomized, but there was no special dialogue/cheevo, so it was all wasted effort *shakes fist*

Yeah, you could transfer one buddy and one nemesis from the first game, but they were cases where because of changed models you'd wouldn't even notice them.

The leaderboards were for a couple DLC challenges. Meh, only a noteworthy loss for the handful of people at the very top, I guess?

The whole "avenge a friend" and "let your friends avenge" thing might have been relevant when the game was popular, but when I played the game in 2021 I got an avenge mission only a single time in 30+ hours of play.

It will be a far bigger deal if sequel Shadow of War ever loses its online funtionality. To think my outpost filled with orc captains with poison weapons and immunity to Last Stand would be gone :'(

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AngryBooch posted:

The writing leads on Forspoken are thoroughly gen-x Joss Whedon wannabees. The zoomers I talk about games with at work think that Forspoken looks "cringe" while my old rear end millennial brain is wondering if Buffy really didn't age well.

Buffy is mostly fine, it helps they have good characters etc. The awkward part is knowing that Joss probably murdered a kid

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Buffy is mostly fine, it helps they have good characters etc. The awkward part is knowing that Joss probably murdered a kid

i'm pretty sure he didn't acutally

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The combat in The Division is really top tier. I just had a fight I had to redo three times, but it felt well earned when I overcame it. (It was against three snipers in an area with no good cover, whilst being swarmed from different directions).

It's very good at making every little tactical decision matter, your positioning, where you set up your turret, whether you blind fire, even whether you reload mid-magazine. And you feel smart when you get it right.

And the AI is great. It's quite human both in how smart it can be, but also the mistakes it makes.

Here's an enemy patiently waiting for my turret to expire, only to expose themselves to my own fire when it does.

https://i.imgur.com/yWk5YmC.mp4

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 23, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also, Garrus is your AI Navi.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

buglord posted:

I just found out about this channel a couple days ago and it seems like it'll be illegal in 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Really hoping for a Division 3 some day (the f2p spinoff doesn't count), but I might reinstall the second one, been a few years since I've played it.