Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love Ivy. Post over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

None of the defeats in the first couple chapters are permanent anyway so Lumera jetting across the map to murder someone is cool and good

Yeah it owns.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Love that the King of Brodia looks like a brooding guy in prerelease and he turns out to be an Embarassing Dad

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Mid late game and drat, even as a casual player on normal/casual, game keeps finding ways to kick my poo poo in every once in a while, or...

Infinity Gaia posted:

Every turn was an exercise in "how the gently caress do I get myself out of the mess I caused last turn?"

...this. Like I don't think i've had to use time stone this much in normal/casual playthroughs of the last two games.

This isn't a complaint though. It is making every chapter an hours long affair, but it's fun puzzling out how not get dunked on by things constantly and funny when the enemy makes elaborate personal gently caress you plays like utilising a warp staff in the first turn to move an enemy into the middle of my army and lance the poo poo out of my sage because I forgot to check the inventory and range of everything on the map before hand.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
FE is certainly a series that benefits from timewarp, cuz you can walk into a situation and completely faceplant only to time warp the same turn, take a few different steps and absolutely nail it.

puzzling out how to wipe all the mini-bosses in chapter fourteen in a single turn cuz they rushed was fun.

that feeling is somewhat rare in my game tho because louis, chloe, ivy, and yunaka can each singlehandedly solo half a map on hard and there's not actually enough halves of the map

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Infinity Gaia posted:

God, Chapter 17 was a tremendous clusterfuck and I'm only on Hard! I have no idea how the gently caress this map is doable on Maddening, it took me like 2 hours and nearly all of my Time Crystal charges. Every turn was an exercise in "how the gently caress do I get myself out of the mess I caused last turn?"

It's so great. By the equivalent point in 3H Hard I was sleepwalking through every stage.

Yeah that one was a doozy. I made the mistake of starting with the dude in the top right and then moving left through the flames to the center of the map, which apparently aggroes every boss and makes them move to your location. I had to somehow navigate having two bosses on my rear end every turn and taking them out before any more showed up while also keeping all my squishy units out of their attack range. The first time Zephia joined the fray she mowed right through my defensive formation with override and killed three units with one attack, and I only kept Veyle from flanking me dead by constantly throwing up ice walls.

I think it's the most tactical fight I've ever faced in a fire emblem game. It's good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I love Ivy. Post over.

Ivy is interesting because she's basically a more serious spin on Tharja that jettisons most of her comedic bits with hexes in favor of actually playing up the whole 'betraying your country/family' thing.

The support even has her stalking and worshipping Alear because she can tell they're the god she worships but won't tell them until the plot gets to it. Which is exactly the same deal as Tharja had :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Engage really does a unique thing of making me regret putting resources and time into a unit. I thought my Yunaka was doing great after a couple strength drops, but Merrin joins in a better class, way more speed AND strength.

Also I feel like they're massively trolling putting Timerra with Ike, who literally doesn't work with a lance user.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

merrin's class has slightly better stats/more move but it doesnt get the double avoid from terrain

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't think Wolf Rider is exactly a better class than Thief. For one thing, it's Cavalry rather than Covert, and losing that double terrain bonus feature makes them *significantly* worse at dodge tanking.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

merrin's class has slightly better stats/more move but it doesnt get the double avoid from terrain

I keep thinking about changing classes and then I remember the character will lose their secondary class if I do it and that changes my mind. It's a good bit of balance, stopped me from making Louis into a great knight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It feels like they course corrected too hard on cav, where I am right now I'll always just take the infantry variant over the mounted.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, fliers still have a purpose but ground cavalry is really kinda whatever. Wolf Riders are cool tho.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Plus Yunaka gets even more out of terrain from her personal still. I have her set up with a knife engraved for crit and as long as I can find her some trees or a pillar to camp on she can hold a chunk of map against pretty much anything but mages alone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well regardless of class, Merrin starting at like 21 str is already absurd of a difference. Like I understand idiot-proofing your game, but Kagetsu waltzing in with 17 str/23 spd when most of the army won't remotely reach that without heavy grinding and good luck is kinda wild.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I just made Yunaka into a Wolf Rider because I like them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Well regardless of class, Merrin starting at like 21 str is already absurd of a difference. Like I understand idiot-proofing your game, but Kagetsu waltzing in with 17 str/23 spd when most of the army won't remotely reach that without heavy grinding and good luck is kinda wild.

Growths do feel painful if you just want to keep your favs. My Alear is dodgy and anything she doubles is dead, but she keeps whiffing str gains. :negative:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

yeah horses are worthless

merrin is good because she comes in with the usual high stats with daggers, and daggers are just really good

but she is worse then the two actual thieves unless you had a really, really bad time with stats

all the fliers so far tho are just gods, archer weakness doesn't matter if they can out range them and, even then, you can just... dodge, with all that dex.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Some of the pre-promotes feel weirdly tuned. Like Kagetsu is just miles better than anyone other sword wielder when you get him, his bases are just absurd compared to the averages for Alear/Diamant/Lapis at that point and I have no idea why he's so dominant?

Meanwhile while Ivy is good her stats will come at least comparable to your mages and she has some tradeoffs where she's significantly slower than Clanne or with less magic than Citrinne will probably have.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Engage is forcing people to recognise that prepromotes are good and i've gotta respect it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Kagetsu waltzing in with 17 str/23 spd when most of the army won't remotely reach that without heavy grinding and good luck is kinda wild.
fe9 had this man join at an equivalent point

i think people have just forgotten what prepromotes used to be like in the Before Times

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unless i'm missing something about how Kagetsu is recruited Stefan is a whole other type of recruit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

kagetesu is your myrmidon in the one game where dodge/crits are weirdly reliable and prevalent from your thieves and pegasi anyway and, if they ever totally flub it, you can just timewarp instead of restarting the entire map

three houses had time warp ofc but it didn't have any particularly reliable, from-the-word-go dex/luck fiends whereas engage just kind of gives your chloe, kagetesu, and every character who innately uses daggers

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Stefan's basically a secret character you probably won't even get without a guide, though. Kagetsu is handed to you with no effort required.

Though I guess that's got precedent too, since it's at a fairly similar point Birthright just hands you Ryoma.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

does it matter how you get stefan? its not like you have to give anything up to get him, and its not like his stats are out of whack with other prepromotes in the series.

like percival in fe6 is also an early midgame prepromote and is basically a freebie and he looks like this

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I simply use my faves regardless

edit: also I got an S rank Olwen ring really early on and that makes thunder tomes brave which has been insanely good. 3 range brave tome... Thank you Olwen for existing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And don't forget this selfless little Paladin either

New, more powerful characters exist because remember, this is a permadeath game and anyone doing an Ironman run of this would like to have more than 5 characters to use on a map. It's not as big a deal with the turnwheel now though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Seth remains the true god of war because he doesn't fear mages, but Louis is doing a strong impression of him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean also, if prepromotes werent stronger, nobody would use them. if they were just as strong as the units youd been using why would they even exist. theyre immediate power now for less power later. sometimes the balance is off but thats always been the idea with them since fe6.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean also, if prepromotes werent stronger, nobody would use them. if they were just as strong as the units youd been using why would they even exist. theyre immediate power now for less power later. sometimes the balance is off but thats always been the idea with them since fe6.

Most of them in Engage have growths in line with or better than the earlier characters though and usually fairly similar internal levels.

In terms of growths compared to him she's -5 Hp, -5 Str, +5 Mag, -15 Dex. +5 Spd, -5 Def, +5 Res, -15 Luk, -5 Bld. Additionally his base stats are better than hers at 20/5 (she joins at level 10) and you get them 4 chapters apart.

Its kind of nuts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you get stefan 4 chapters after zihark

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New interesting ideas for future Fire Emblem games:

Later Prepromotes with demonstrably worse stats than anyone in your army. 2 move general with 7 defense. Pegasus Knight with 3 atk. The enemy has a gun and just shoots four of your characters dead in a cutscene. Randomly. He just shows up like the mysterious stranger and executes your characters while you're playing the game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Okay wow, chapter 19 is just rude as gently caress then.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lapis is also mostly worse than diamant, who you get in the next chapter after her. it's really weird because her personal skill is loving bonkers (three noteworthy beneficial effects for positioning correctly anyway) but her bases, starting gear and class seem calculatedly designed to make her bad (and she didn't need the help, considering that she's a sword-locked foot unit).

then you get jade who's mostly slightly worse than louis but not by enough to make her bad or anything, just not great if you wanted to use louis anyway

and then you get 2 level 17 units while the rest of your squad is level 13 as well as kagetsu. getting diet camilla, ryoma AND jaffar all at once at this point is kind of ridiculous

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lapis mostly just seems to have the common female myrmidon trait of being a bit bad

RareAcumen posted:

Later Prepromotes with demonstrably worse stats than anyone in your army.

fe10

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also experience growth feels low in this game overall, but maybe the curve's just balanced around promoting everyone at 10 since internal levels are weird and second seals are back to working like awakening??

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ungulateman posted:

also experience growth feels low in this game overall, but maybe the curve's just balanced around promoting everyone at 10 since internal levels are weird and second seals are back to working like awakening??

There's also no bonus EXP for bosses which I think throws off some expectations too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not using any prepromotes, and it's not for any ideological reasons; I just like the early characters better even if they're objectively worse.

though I'll probably bring in Hortensia's retainers if I ever come across any maps with a higher unit limit, they're both hell of cute

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know why Fiona and Astrid are how they are either.

But it's tough to beat Haar, Gatrie or any of the Laguz royals though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
General or Great Knight? General is still typed as Armored, which gives break resistance, while Great Knight is typed as Calvary, which I guess does nothing other than provide a move bonus. The stat difference between the two seems much smaller than previous games, and it seems like it comes down to trading break and horseplayer resistance for two move. The 4 move for general seems difficult to work around without locking Sigurd onto your general

I haven't seen a rescue or warp staff yet, but I assume, like in most games, they'll be a limited-use resource that you wouldn't want to use for routine positioning of your tank