Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

lapis mostly just seems to have the common female myrmidon trait of being a bit bad

I love her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Engage is forcing people to recognise that prepromotes are good and i've gotta respect it

unfortunately, goldmary and rosado seem extremely bad

can't win em all I guess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

littleorv posted:

I love her

same

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I promoted Lapis to Hero asap since a fast axe is useful and she was better at it than Boucheran while retaining swords.

Are Rosado's base stats horrible? I looked at his growths, 75% hp/45% str/45% spd is like the highest average I've seen.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I feel like the later characters being better statistically is mostly counterbalanced by (Chapter 10-11) the fact that none of them are going to have Canter for a long, long time. Even if Kagetsu has better stats than Diamant, Canter makes Diamante better for every map where Sigurd still isn't available. RIP everyone who didn't get the 1000 SP before that chapter, though, and since characters get way more SP with Engage Rings than Bond Rings it's pretty easy to fall short if you aren't spreading them around.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh he might be an est I guess

both of them have almost unusable bases

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the difficulty where I'm at is a really weird balance where the actual story is a cakewalk I could do in my sleep but every paralogue is insane

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This game has some really weird throwbacks. Like Lyn's paralogue isn't a map reference to FE7, it's a reference to... The Bow of the Winds, a gaiden chapter from FE6. Which I mean, yeah it does take place in Sacae, but still.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Everything about Lyn is Intsys tripping themselves over a suddenly popular character from 6 years ago because of the west, and then proceed to never let her touch a sword again since her debut unit in FEH

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'You mean the face of the game when FE made its international debut ended up being extremely popular?!' says the shocked pikachu

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Rosado's fine, he wasn't an instant all star in his joining map but he's been a solid contributor since and ended up the low key MVP of 17.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

'You mean the face of the game when FE made its international debut ended up being extremely popular?!' says the shocked pikachu

They probably expected Hector/Eliwood. Just a shame that part of the reason why people loved Lyn is forever banished forever apparently and she's just a bow user.

edit: Lucina also being a bow lord is weird, because she doesn't even use bows in her advance class, she uses lances. And we have a huge dearth of lance lords otherwise, it's so bizarre.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tae posted:

Everything about Lyn is Intsys tripping themselves over a suddenly popular character from 6 years ago because of the west, and then proceed to never let her touch a sword again since her debut unit in FEH

Yeah it's extremely funny that IntSys was just completely blindsided that the cute girl who fawns over the player self insert in the first game in the series to hit the international market is mega popular.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

As someone who stopped playing FEH after year 1 all that means is she's using a bow instead for this one game. Which is fine I suppose, there's no primary bow lord otherwise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, back on the topic of Lapis, I think that myrmidon-type units are completely fine in this game. Dodge tanking is perhaps the best it's ever been--the math is a little less friendly than it was in the GBA days, but having rewinds means that it's much more acceptable to take a like 10% chance of failure on a big enemy phase than it was back then. A high speed unit with a marth-engraved weapon (or micaiah, but -3 mt is rough) and avoid +10 from marth is routinely face sub-30 hit rates even from the most accurate weapons, and get less accurate weapons all the way down to zero. As long as your strength isn't abysmal, you can patch up iffy strength with a +3 forge pretty easily, which isn't particularly expensive. And tbh I feel like against promoted enemies, everybody has issues one-rounding, and at least the speedster can reliably double and fish for a crit with a killer weapon. It's a good game for myrmidons, imo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I liked Lapis' design and decided sure I'm going to user her, and then like a chapter after she showed up the game dropped Diamant in my lap who was also a sword user but better across the board. This made me actually mad gently caress you game I do what I want so Diamant is permanently benched and I am dragging Lapis to endgame. Funnily enough she was pretty weak until level ~15 or so when suddenly she got back to back to back to back to back level ups that included STR and SPD, and now after promotion she's skyrocketed to one of my absolute best units.

Also Yunaka was my first unit to hit level 20 and this is how I found out thieves work off PoR rules and cannot promote, although at least they can go past level 20 here. She's still an absolute beast and daggers are low key the best weapon type to forge because the stats go nuts, so I'm actually fine with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Only at chapter 8 but Lapis could double a decent amount of units in her first map so that puts her ahead of a good amount of people in my army.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also most of the supports in this game are phoned in filler garbage but I am really enjoying Lapis' gimmick of being Fire Emblem MacGyve with the ability to build Etie a total body workout machine from discarded driftwood and twine.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody had success using the Greatswords/lances/axes as of yet? I wasen't super impressed with them in their introductory chapter and it just kinda feels like if i wanted to break the enemy i would just use a regular weapon to cancel out out taking any damage at all instead of having to eat a hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goldmary's pretty good for me. her str is a bit low but she has 20 base defense and decent speed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

Anybody had success using the Greatswords/lances/axes as of yet? I wasen't super impressed with them in their introductory chapter and it just kinda feels like if i wanted to break the enemy i would just use a regular weapon to cancel out out taking any damage at all instead of having to eat a hit.
a good use for them is pushing the enemy off terrain, like if you wanna gang up on a boss thats on an avoid tile. or later on theres a couple maps with gimmick terrain that gives a +20 def/res boost and shoving people off that is extremely good

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

In regards to General movement... I just gave Louis the first pair of Boots I found and 5 move is good enough, especially since I also gave him Advance and Canter so he can better reposition even without Sigurd.

And Smash weapons are for Generals too. Louis ain't doubling poo poo anyways and nothing non magical can hurt him, so might as well give him the biggest single hit possible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Smash can break armored units, if you ever need to disarm one. It's also good for bullying bow units, and the higher tier versions do pretty stupid damage to compensate for the drawback.

I haven't found much use for them but I'm sure it's there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Infinity Gaia posted:

And Smash weapons are for Generals too. Louis ain't doubling poo poo anyways and nothing non magical can hurt him, so might as well give him the biggest single hit possible.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like that people on reddit make threads about "3 Houses or Engage, which do you prefer" 3 days after the game launches and most people won't have even finished it once.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Smashing is useful for letting you actually take damage, which lets your healers but especially Micaiah level up faster. It also did save my butt in chapter 10 where Hortensia attacked from an awkward position on the two tile wide flier zone so only one physical attack could reach her. Chloe managed to fly behind her and push her over.

That still wasn't enough to prevent Louis from dying, but I had Boucheron on the opposite end of the map use Great Sacrifice for the first time, letting Framme Guard him. Hooray! Game fun

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clones from lyn can avoid and still do full damage back. Huh, should i put lyn on yukana for maxium dodge?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Infinity Gaia posted:

In regards to General movement... I just gave Louis the first pair of Boots I found and 5 move is good enough, especially since I also gave him Advance and Canter so he can better reposition even without Sigurd.

Boucheron of all people haas been blessed with great level ups across the board so I can often get him to use a great iron axe and he takes 0 damage off the enemy’s attacks and then whacks them dead in 1 hit.

“Almost moves me to tears!” Indeed

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Hear me out guys.

Kagetsu. General Kagetsu. I've been wanting a second general and alear already does the fast swordsman shtick much better than anyone else can, but a general with good speed and res? I think I will.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like the idea of a trinity of Generals, one for each weapon type.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Lumera with Sigurd was definitely a "gotcha"

that was insanely funny

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Tae posted:

Are Rosado's base stats horrible? I looked at his growths, 75% hp/45% str/45% spd is like the highest average I've seen.

15 base STR and 8 bld is a little low for a wyvern knight. Rest of his stats are fine. Str will catch up but his good speed is negated by all the heavy axes and spears. I got lucky and managed to get 3 bld ups in 5 levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Einander posted:

I feel like the later characters being better statistically is mostly counterbalanced by (Chapter 10-11) the fact that none of them are going to have Canter for a long, long time. Even if Kagetsu has better stats than Diamant, Canter makes Diamante better for every map where Sigurd still isn't available. RIP everyone who didn't get the 1000 SP before that chapter, though, and since characters get way more SP with Engage Rings than Bond Rings it's pretty easy to fall short if you aren't spreading them around.

It’s me, I’m the guy who didn’t get Canter on a single unit before Chapter 10. It feels bad enough that I’ve considered restarting but I probably won’t.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The animations in this game are insane

https://streamable.com/xs8nb2

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Harrow posted:

It’s me, I’m the guy who didn’t get Canter on a single unit before Chapter 10. It feels bad enough that I’ve considered restarting but I probably won’t.

Same, I didn't see it coming. I'll truck on.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Harrow posted:

I didn't get canter on Louis, because he would always have Sigurd, do he didn't need it. RIP

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's the above spoilers about...? Do you loose your rings at some point? Is this like a one chapter gimmick or just going without engages for the rest of the game?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Stat caps make me realize that Berserkers are terrible. Terrible dex/spd/def/res while they can get well over 80 HP. Shame because I like the punk gothic look of Panette but any reclass option she loses her outfit. Three Houses lets you keep default outfits on infantry that came with a patch update and I hope Engage gets one as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avalerion posted:

What's the above spoilers about...? Do you loose your rings at some point? Is this like a one chapter gimmick or just going without engages for the rest of the game?

spoilers for chapter 10-11 or so: you lose the 6 engages you have and get the 6 other ones over the next 7 or so chapters, then you start getting back the old ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

Stat caps make me realize that Berserkers are terrible. Terrible dex/spd/def/res while they can get well over 80 HP. Shame because I like the punk gothic look of Panette but any reclass option she loses her outfit. Three Houses lets you keep default outfits on infantry that came with a patch update and I hope Engage gets one as well.

panette's personal skill gives her +10 crit and timerra is a crit-type support. forge a killer axe for her and give it a +crit engraving and she can reach 80-90% crit rates and oneshot people.