Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

JackDarko posted:

I’ve been playing Midnight Sons on the deck, and it’s been super fun. The crashes are sporadic enough that it isn’t dissuading me from playing. It only happens during cutscenes for whatever reason. Other cons are the battery life. I stopped reading Marvel comics years ago, and this has reminded me how much I miss the non-movie characterization of these heroes.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone purchase the game for the deck despite how much I’m enjoying it. There are some suggested fixes online but they’re beyond my technical knowledge, and I need to research what they do before I recommend them. I’ll report back if I implement any.

Using the deck is making it hard to go back to my OLED Switch for fire emblem.

for what it’s worth, i hit a point after act 2 where the cutscene wasn’t able to load until i installed proton ge and adjusted the deck cache settings; with those fixes though it ran well for the rest of my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Division 2 works on the deck now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anecdotally I’ve read The Division 2 is fairly crash happy on pc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anecdotally I’ve read The Division 2 is fairly crash happy on pc.

That is the price they must pay for our Deck version.

I'd only previously played it on the PC on the EGS but its a pretty good shooter and its nice that UBI actually released a deck patch for it.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

The Division 2 works on the deck now.

Do I have to use the ubisoft launcher? I hate not being able to just use the steam os.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Crusader posted:

for what it’s worth, i hit a point after act 2 where the cutscene wasn’t able to load until i installed proton ge and adjusted the deck cache settings; with those fixes though it ran well for the rest of my game.

Thank you so much for being generous with this information.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction for knowing what to adjust for the deck cache settings? I’ve installed Proton GE and forced compatibility.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Finally got a deck this week and absolutely love it so far, though I've spent far more time installing things and setting stuff up than actually playing it.

It's like everything I've ever hacked/modded my game consoles to do, Steam Deck just does out of the box. It's bonkers. Mostly been playing Vampire Survivors and Potion Craft so far. Both are great on the deck, but Potion Craft's controls are a bit annoying.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Frozen Peach posted:

Finally got a deck this week and absolutely love it so far, though I've spent far more time installing things and setting stuff up than actually playing it.

It's like everything I've ever hacked/modded my game consoles to do, Steam Deck just does out of the box. It's bonkers. Mostly been playing Vampire Survivors and Potion Craft so far. Both are great on the deck, but Potion Craft's controls are a bit annoying.

Once you get familiar, enable ssh, get emudeck and decky. and have fun :)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Barreft posted:

Once you get familiar, enable ssh, get emudeck and decky. and have fun :)

Already got Emudeck running, SSH is on my list to get setup next. I'll definitely look into decky.

I'm debating getting a dock for it. Is the Steam Dock worth it?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Frozen Peach posted:

Already got Emudeck running, SSH is on my list to get setup next. I'll definitely look into decky.

If you can afford it? yes. not only do you get firmware updates but you get a displayport which has been way better for my 1080p monitor then hdmi because I can play in 1080p144hz if i want to, hdmi has been poo poo tho i mostly play handheld, but its worth the extra few bucks for me for the extra power cable alone

e: I forgot the mouse/keyboard advantage, but thats for any dock. but seriously if you have the money just get the loving official so you dont have to worry about anything

In my experience HDMI connects to a monitor as an extension of the decks resolution at 1280x800 whereas displayport is treated as an actual whole new monitor and can do whatever resolution, refresh rate.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 23, 2023

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Frozen Peach posted:

Don't know if I'd call it essential but if you're going to be fiddling with any emulation stuff, plugins, etc it makes doing so immediately easier. I haven't tried using it to connect to a TV or anything like that yet but the reviews for that sort of capability seem fairly positive.

I'm also partial to keeping my deck docked if I'm not using it, seems preferable to leaving it in the case to charge or whatever but ymmv.

Tldr: it's worth picking up if you can swing it but it won't kill you not to have one.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The GoonDeck discord invite link doesn't work btw. I'd love an updated invite.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Frozen Peach posted:

100%, my Deck's been my daily driver ever since my main rig poo poo the bed so I spend a lot of time in Desktop Mode for work and PC stuff, it's great. Though it is having issues with some monitor panels, mine included.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a way to boot directly to desktop without having to go through gaming mode first

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

I used mine in docked mode like 75% of the time. I just basically use it like a dedicated Steam/Emulator console for the most part and I love it. Handheld is good too, but I prefer having a controller since I do most of my gaming on consoles anyway and just prefer how a controller feels vs the Deck itself. I got the Deck Dock and it's been fantastic, no issues at all with my TV either. Now I just wish I could wake the Deck when I turn on my Bluetooth controller, but I GUESS I can get off the couch like a PEASANT.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Frozen Peach posted:

The GoonDeck discord invite link doesn't work btw. I'd love an updated invite.

https://discord.gg/uPnfxTYD

It'll be good for a week.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Had a Deck for awhile now and we have it hooked up to the TV basically all the time for watching streams and playing games, replacing an old laptop that used to serve that purpose. But as of late it's all of a sudden stopped accepting input from our 8bitdo controllers even when they're showing up as connected - even launching stuff through steam in gaming mode doesn't seem to help. Today while my partner and I were trying to troubleshoot it we discovered that the controls attached to the deck were still working, which was supposed to be turned off but was apparently not anymore! I'm kind of a dunce with this stuff if anyone has a suggestion for something we could try to fix it!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I notice that there doesn't seem to be an option for Xenia/360 emulatin in Emudeck despite the Steam Rom Manager having a thing for 360 games. Is my brain smoother and smaller than even I thought, or is this a legit thing?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sigher posted:

What's the easiest way to get the Super Mario 64 decomp on Deck? I was able to find an easy guide to get the OoT port up but none of the guides I'm trying to follow seem to work for building a native Linux port. I also don't know what I'm doing when I'm trying these steps, so that probably isn't helping much.

There are multiple Mario 64 decompilations now. I have heard good things about Mario 64 plus. I suggest Mario 64 ex+. I am personally using Render 96, which replaces models and textures with something like the style of the official renders.

None of these are easy to set up afaik. There are YouTube videos with step-by-step guides you could try to follow along like this one or this one. Or even just official compilation instructions like these.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I notice that there doesn't seem to be an option for Xenia/360 emulatin in Emudeck despite the Steam Rom Manager having a thing for 360 games. Is my brain smoother and smaller than even I thought, or is this a legit thing?

Xenia is I think only in development versions since they're still trying to make it work with the Deck. So even if you click the box to install it it won't do anything.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

sigher posted:

What's the easiest way to get the Super Mario 64 decomp on Deck? I was able to find an easy guide to get the OoT port up but none of the guides I'm trying to follow seem to work for building a native Linux port. I also don't know what I'm doing when I'm trying these steps, so that probably isn't helping much.

Break into Nintendo with a crack team of Bank robbers, use a drill on the Nintendo vault door, take hostages to barter when your wheelman gets arrested. Once the vault is cracked, grab the Mario stuff, don't stop for Zelda stuff, you don't have the time. Make your getaway using a series of well timed explosions to distract the police, get shot in the gut by the big tittied goth hacker and betrayed. She pulls off the wig to reveal that she was Reggie the whole time.

If I missed anything, let me know.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Geight posted:

Had a Deck for awhile now and we have it hooked up to the TV basically all the time for watching streams and playing games, replacing an old laptop that used to serve that purpose. But as of late it's all of a sudden stopped accepting input from our 8bitdo controllers even when they're showing up as connected - even launching stuff through steam in gaming mode doesn't seem to help. Today while my partner and I were trying to troubleshoot it we discovered that the controls attached to the deck were still working, which was supposed to be turned off but was apparently not anymore! I'm kind of a dunce with this stuff if anyone has a suggestion for something we could try to fix it!
The Deck's controls are supposed to still be active, the connected controller is just supposed to be shifted into slot one. Check and make sure that the 8BitDo controller is first in the settings menu, if not you can use the select button on the Deck to re-order controllers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sigher posted:

i'd also like to know

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Frozen Peach posted:

Owning the dock has been pretty key to my experience with the Deck so far. Knowing the Deck has a "home" on my desk that I can just plonk it into to charge, and that's hooked upto a monitor and M&KB if I want to play PC-rear end PC games, is amazing. The majority of the games I have installed are games that can be played and controlled natively on the Deck, but are also natural fits for M&KB, and my playtime is probably a 50/50 split so far between handheld play and sitting at a desk with the Dock.

Honestly, the docked Deck experience is currently serving my needs so well that I've put any plans for a new PC build on ice. Until I run into something major that the Deck can't do that I need a PC for then.. I just don't see the point.

I went with the official Dock and don't regret a thing. It's pricier than other options out there, but it's been completely problem free, and as I say I'm getting enough good use out of it that the cost is just a whatever thing at this point.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Heran Bago posted:

There are multiple Mario 64 decompilations now. I have heard good things about Mario 64 plus. I suggest Mario 64 ex+. I am personally using Render 96, which replaces models and textures with something like the style of the official renders.

None of these are easy to set up afaik. There are YouTube videos with step-by-step guides you could try to follow along like this one or this one. Or even just official compilation instructions like these.

As a quick rundown, what are the differences between Plus and Ex+? And does Render96 do anything besides graphics? Like one of the nicest things about Ship of Harkinian is all the little QOL stuff. Like honestly having the free camera controlled by the right analog is such a loving amazing game-changer (hah!) I legitimately do not believe I could ever play OOT/MM again in their original form and enjoy it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that new character model in the 2nd video is gross

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m of the opinion that all attempts to do “HD” fan remakes of N64 games look like rear end. Mario 64RT especially looks terrible.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
while i can't help with the linux port cause it always refused to build for me, this works to make the windows executable that (probably) runs fine in proton:

https://sm64pc.info/sm64pcbuilder2/

idk what all the stuff does so don't ask me

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As a quick rundown, what are the differences between Plus and Ex+? And does Render96 do anything besides graphics? Like one of the nicest things about Ship of Harkinian is all the little QOL stuff. Like honestly having the free camera controlled by the right analog is such a loving amazing game-changer (hah!) I legitimately do not believe I could ever play OOT/MM again in their original form and enjoy it.

I'm not sure which differences come from what. There is an option for free camera on the right sick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Xenia doesn't work in Linux

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Xenia in general has just never worked for me, it’s supposed to create a default profile to save games under but never does, and it doesn’t work with any of the Xbox 360 profile creation tools.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I went a bit overboard last night. Looks like I am set for 2023.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
If this was all I had to play, I'd quit videogames entirely and go on to live a rich and successful life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aardvark Barber posted:

smdh at the ordering

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aardvark Barber posted:

Only a coward would skip Final Fantasy XI.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

smdh at the ordering

I don't know of any way to set a custom order!

Maybe I'll get 11 when I exhaust 14.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

some talk over the last few pages about bluetooth devices not connecting well. and what, the verdict is simply that bluetooth sucks? i've been using it docked more and i'm not happy that my switch pro controller will not stay connected. i've been waiting patiently for firmware updates and... they update some controller support but it's like valve is not even aware that bluetooth implementation is what, simply broken? i don't want to go in and forget the device and reconnect it twice a day. Once or twice it stayed paired and connected after the controller turned off. otherwise i have to connect with the deck itself, then forget and repair if that doesn't work. i just want to click the button on the controller and it turns on and it's paired

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have the 8bitdo Pro2 and it works flawlessly over BT. It's a joy

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Just get some long-rear end cables for your headphones and controllers and trip over them every time you get up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

I have two 8bitdo Pro 2 and they both stay connected without issue either.