Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also maybe I just overlooked the explanation but all the skills / stat boosts you unlock from Engage rings that you can buy as passives later... do you just get them? Are they only active if you engage with the ring or are they always on? Or do you need to buy them to work at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the worst part about the spoiled stuff is unless you go pretty far out of you way and/or grind, chances are you won't have gotten Canter on anyone that you have spent SP on anything else for. You have to recognize that Canter is by far the most important skill to grab and make sure you get it before anything else or you probably won't have enough SP. It feels like a trap and one that I definitely fell for. A smarter player probably would have recognized that Canter is easily the best skill any of the Emblem rings are offering right off the bat and would've focused on getting that on anyone, but instead I'm the idiot who's like, "oh sure Avoid +10 seems nice, yeah lemme just pick up a couple skills here and there" and then doesn't have enough SP to get Canter before I lose access for most of the rest of the game.

It also doesn't help that Canter is just... wildly good. You don't even have to be a mounted unit to get Canto anymore, you just need the player not to be an idiot.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

FrickenMoron posted:

Also maybe I just overlooked the explanation but all the skills / stat boosts you unlock from Engage rings that you can buy as passives later... do you just get them? Are they only active if you engage with the ring or are they always on? Or do you need to buy them to work at all?

You get them as long as you wear the ring (I noticed this when Celica started draining 1 HP off Celine every attack). You can buy them to use them later without wearing the ring.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Endorph posted:

panette's personal skill gives her +10 crit and timerra is a crit-type support. forge a killer axe for her and give it a +crit engraving and she can reach 80-90% crit rates and oneshot people.

Oh I have no problem reaching 70% crit or higher. My issue is landing those blows. Panette's HP is so high that she can trigger vantage at 30 or so HP, so I rely on forged hand axes to oneshot mages until I see that every drat mage lategame is packing Thoron.

E: If you buy Canter, do you get a discount on Canter+? The game lets you buy things like Speed+4 outright but if you by Speed+2 first then Speed+4 costs less SP.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 23, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Imo for the current chapter 10-11 discussion, Canter is really good yes, and getting it on Alear early via Micaiah healing is a priority due to her personal skill, but for those who won't have time to get it I think getting Build+3 from Leif is way more important. It's affordable and gives you a lot more options as far as weapons go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

as you bond level with the rings, you unlock three types of skills. sync skills, which are active when the ring is equipped, engage skills, which are active when the ring is engaged, and inheritable skills, which you can buy with sp. some skills are both inheritable and sync. for instance, leif's build +3 is a sync skill, so its active when you equip the ring, but you can also buy it as an inheritable skill.

when you inherit a skill, you can then equip it. when the skill is equipped, it's always active, even if you switch rings or dont have a ring equipped. skills that are both inheritable and sync dont stack if you inherit the skill and equip it and then also equip the ring that has that skill. so you can't get build +6 by both buying the build +3 skill and equipping leif as your ring.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I really gotta get to chapter 11 so I can read the CIA documents. But I also wanna do Tiki's paralogue first since I do know what happens there mechanically and I absolutely don't wanna do it with just 2 Emblems.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Everyone keeps mentioning Tiki's paralogue, and I haven't seen it. Is that a dlc thing?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

inthesto posted:

Everyone keeps mentioning Tiki's paralogue, and I haven't seen it. Is that a dlc thing?

DLC yes.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

inthesto posted:

Yeah, the first part of the DLC is Tiki's paralogue, the Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri Emblem, and a free set of stat boosters.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The main thing I liked about three houses was that because of the way the routes worked all the characters had at least some part in the story, or at the very least they would say things in cutscenes. Now that we’re back to the old way I know that once a character gets their lines in their intro chapter and they aren’t a lord then they will never speak again except for supports. It’s a shame.

Also if I’m on normal do I gotta worry about growths and whatnot? I wanna use who I like in the jobs I want them in, like how I want Anna to keep using axes because it’s funny. Put her in the giant armor.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Overbite posted:

The main thing I liked about three houses was that because of the way the routes worked all the characters had at least some part in the story, or at the very least they would say things in cutscenes. Now that we’re back to the old way I know that once a character gets their lines in their intro chapter and they aren’t a lord then they will never speak again except for supports. It’s a shame.

Also if I’m on normal do I gotta worry about growths and whatnot? I wanna use who I like in the jobs I want them in, like how I want Anna to keep using axes because it’s funny. Put her in the giant armor.

I have not played normal but from all reports I have heard you should be fine to do basically whatever you want

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I'm going to be critical for a moment, I think the Arena is probably this game's single biggest error when it comes to balance--and specifically, the ability to spend a handful of bond fragments to instantly gain bond levels with any Emblem you have. It sort of makes the whole weapon proficiency thing meaningless when you can get any proficiency you want on anyone you want instantly with just a relatively low bond fragment price. They don't even cost SP. They might as well have made reclassing free and open to everyone with no prerequisites because every class prerequisite really just boils down to "got 400 or so bond fragments? ok cool, you pass."

Meanwhile it also makes it feel more like you have no reason not to put the most optimal skills you can on everyone you have, because again, you can unlock the ability to inherit those skills just by spending some bond fragments. Most skills aren't worth inheriting so you can just save up everyone's SP for a couple of really great skills, then just spend bond fragments to unlock the ability to inherit them whenever you have the SP for it. It feels like things were balanced around the idea that you had to actually wear Emblem rings in combat to level up your bond, but then they added the Arena later on and short-circuited the whole thing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Harrow posted:

If I'm going to be critical for a moment, I think the Arena is probably this game's single biggest error when it comes to balance--and specifically, the ability to spend a handful of bond fragments to instantly gain bond levels with any Emblem you have. It sort of makes the whole weapon proficiency thing meaningless when you can get any proficiency you want on anyone you want instantly with just a relatively low bond fragment price. They don't even cost SP. They might as well have made reclassing free and open to everyone with no prerequisites because every class prerequisite really just boils down to "got 400 or so bond fragments? ok cool, you pass."

Meanwhile it also makes it feel more like you have no reason not to put the most optimal skills you can on everyone you have, because again, you can unlock the ability to inherit those skills just by spending some bond fragments. Most skills aren't worth inheriting so you can just save up everyone's SP for a couple of really great skills, then just spend bond fragments to unlock the ability to inherit them whenever you have the SP for it. It feels like things were balanced around the idea that you had to actually wear Emblem rings in combat to level up your bond, but then they added the Arena later on and short-circuited the whole thing.

Bond levels via the Arena do feel *way* too cheap when you consider that making a random emblem ring into S rank costs 10k bond fragments.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

FrickenMoron posted:

Bond levels via the Arena do feel *way* too cheap when you consider that making a random emblem ring into S rank costs 10k bond fragments.
speaking of the S-rank bond rings, has anyone found any interesting ones? My first S-rank was Alm, and he gave the windsweep ability in addition to stats. It's not a great skill by any means, but it's the only skill I've found on a ring.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think they have to be cheap so training up new guys doesn't become impossible. If anything it's the bond rings that are way too expensive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair i also get that they didnt want to force you to grind out a ton of combat or make it feel like sticking an emblem ring on someone was a huge commitment.

frankly i would have just made canto not an inheritable skill and thatd solve most of the issues. reclassing being relatively open isnt really a big deal when you dont actually get any skills you can transfer across classes, unlike fates, so its just a thing you can do if you want.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What I liked most about 3H was Hilda

What I liked most about Fates was Charlotte

What I like most about Engage so far is Jade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

to be fair i also get that they didnt want to force you to grind out a ton of combat or make it feel like sticking an emblem ring on someone was a huge commitment.

frankly i would have just made canto not an inheritable skill and thatd solve most of the issues. reclassing being relatively open isnt really a big deal when you dont actually get any skills you can transfer across classes, unlike fates, so its just a thing you can do if you want.

It'd also be fine if it was a late-game inherit, like you couldn't inherit it until a bond level over 10 so that it's not something you can do in the early game at all. As it is, it sorta warps the skill inheritance game around its existence.

I don't want all my units to be able to have Canto and while sure, I can just not give them Canto, I usually prefer there to be a more solid reason than "I'm intentionally handicapping myself" when it comes to game balance stuff :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair they also, presumably, did not balance the game around everyone immediately gaming the system to give every single unit the best skill before chapter 11 where sigurd leaves for most of the game

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'd rather have Tiki's growth rate boost than canto tbh.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blaziken386 posted:

speaking of the S-rank bond rings, has anyone found any interesting ones? My first S-rank was Alm, and he gave the windsweep ability in addition to stats. It's not a great skill by any means, but it's the only skill I've found on a ring.

There's generally 2 per game. Except 3 houses which gets 3 (one per house head)

Claude's gives +1 range with bows at 100% health, and Wind Adept/Dire Thunder (Soren/Olwen) give you double attack with the appropriate tome type.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mia gives shove

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

to be fair they also, presumably, did not balance the game around everyone immediately gaming the system to give every single unit the best skill before chapter 11 where sigurd leaves for most of the game

Oh sure, but even by like endgame I don't really like the idea that I have no reason beyond intentionally self-handicapping to not eventually put Canto on everyone. Though to be fair I'm also assuming I'm not going to encounter at least two more skills I might want on any given unit more than Canto. If there are enough Canto-level skills on later Emblems that there are some units I'd rather use their two slots for things other than Canto with then it's not so bad.

I suppose I'm also assuming I'll get Sigurd back eventually but that one seems like a really safe assumption.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 23, 2023

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Shame Boy posted:

Anybody had success using the Greatswords/lances/axes as of yet? I wasen't super impressed with them in their introductory chapter and it just kinda feels like if i wanted to break the enemy i would just use a regular weapon to cancel out out taking any damage at all instead of having to eat a hit.

I plan to put the smash lance to use on Louis, given he's never fighting anything that deals appreciable damage to him anyways and the weight doesn't matter since his speed is non-existent. Should be good for a laugh from time to time. Outside of extremely tanky units like Generals or someone with decent defense naturally who is presently engaged to Tiki (who conveniently provides her own unique smash type weapon), I can't imagine much use for them.

Speaking of Tiki, her engage ability is incredibly funny and I am here for being able to fart out a million one-ups onto my army via Alear's already very fast engage building. Tiki definitely combos well on Alear simply because you want to be engaging constantly in her case and those revival stones have no expiration date as far as I can tell.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
how does this game hold up mechanically in comparison to three houses? and how much non-combat stuff is there in comparison also? thank you

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Harrow posted:

Oh sure, but even by like endgame I don't really like the idea that I have no reason beyond intentionally self-handicapping to eventually put Canto on everyone. Though to be fair I'm also assuming I'm not going to encounter at least two more skills I might want on any given unit more than Canto. If there are enough Canto-level skills on later Emblems that there are some units I'd rather use their two slots for things other than Canto with then it's not so bad.

I suppose I'm also assuming I'll get Sigurd back eventually but that one seems like a really safe assumption.

Tiki's "extra stat growths" skill is ostensibly something you'd like on everyone and costs a whopping 1.5k SP. It has ground my plants to throw Canter on everyone to a halt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

how does this game hold up mechanically in comparison to three houses? and how much non-combat stuff is there in comparison also? thank you
the map design's way tighter and combat's way snappier but it lacks the indepth character building stuff from three houses, characters are also mostly just their bases/growths and base class rather than stuff like the unique combat arts/spell lists from 3h.

there's a decent amount of stuff you can do at base but its mostly just dicking around and very little of it is mandatory or helps you in any meaningful way. fishing is here but it gives way less benefit, that kind of thing. if you don't want to do any inbetween battles stuff you can blaze through that management in 5-10 minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Oh sure, but even by like endgame I don't really like the idea that I have no reason beyond intentionally self-handicapping to eventually put Canto on everyone.
to be fair compared to 3h where there were like 3 viable endgame classes, 'everyone has canto' is way more forgivable (the viable endgame classes in 3h also had canto)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

One of Leif's rings at S rank turns thunder into a brave weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

to be fair compared to 3h where there were like 3 viable endgame classes, 'everyone has canto' is way more forgivable (the viable endgame classes in 3h also had canto)

Yeah it's a step up for sure, I just wish it was more steps up I guess.

I do think that my second playthrough is going to be a no Arena run, even if no other restrictions. I'm curious how this will feel if I can only increase bond rank by actually wearing the rings in combat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chapter 13 and 14 is really showing how bad the cutscene directing is. A lot of standing around with talking direct in front of a threat.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tae posted:

Chapter 13 and 14 is really showing how bad the cutscene directing is. A lot of standing around with talking direct in front of a threat.

Yeah nothing has changed in this regard unfortunately.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's not like it's easy to get Canto on everyone early on without abusing Micaiah's multi targeting for faster SP per second.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and its not like canto is literally the only good skill. you can get resolve/wrath going off of ike, and byleth's divine pulse is cheap, early, and good - it's a 30+luck% chance to turn a miss into a hit. it basically supplants any need for dex. the only real disadvantage to it ive seen is i think it just goes 'oh, you missed, here's a hit,' so you cant crit.

and corrin's draconic hex is -4 to all stats of an enemy you attack, so its basically just a free boss killer.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Endorph posted:

the map design's way tighter and combat's way snappier but it lacks the indepth character building stuff from three houses, characters are also mostly just their bases/growths and base class rather than stuff like the unique combat arts/spell lists from 3h.

there's a decent amount of stuff you can do at base but its mostly just dicking around and very little of it is mandatory or helps you in any meaningful way. fishing is here but it gives way less benefit, that kind of thing. if you don't want to do any inbetween battles stuff you can blaze through that management in 5-10 minutes.

sounds like an improvement all around :cheers:

e: actually i will probably miss the unique spells and combat arts. but everything else can go.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah I haven't done the canter relay because 1. lazy, 2. I want to experiment on my first run, 3. I'm playing hard so it doesn't matter too terribly much still, and 4. coming off of 3 straight 3H runs I am desperately craving class + skill variety

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

sounds like an improvement all around :cheers:

yeah i enjoy the gameplay much more. the worldbuilding and stuff isnt as interesting but its a competent enough adventure story once it gets going and even 3h's writing, its best quality, had its own issues.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

So far I haven't met a character whose C (and many B) supports save for one are all screaming and sobbing at someone doing a normal thing so in that respect Engage is winning at the moment

(Bernie still owns, however)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
no robin engage :smith: