Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mellonbread posted:

The thing that should have been a shoe-in was "ration healing, spells, special abilities and non regenerating consumables as you traverse dangerous areas between safe zones where you can rest to restore your resources." That's something Dark Souls has in common with all editions of D&D. But they couldn't even get that right
I would add an element of Mouse Guard nature but instead of becoming a feral mouse you risk becoming Hollow.

Edit: And the Town phase should make everyone sad somehow

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Xiahou Dun posted:

Here’s where someone suggested playing A Quiet Year with Dark Souls theming. A couple of people say that sounds fun (because they’re a very natural tonal pair) and then it turns into a giant argument. The beginning of the conversation is a page or so before that but interleaved with other discussion if you want extra context.
Hell yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goons: "How can we make this game about fighting your way through skeleton-infested ruins of a bygone age, measured against a limited attrition-based healing system, in order to fight a big monster at the end in a climactic boss battle, thereby gaining both treasure and an abstract magical currency that increases your personal power, into a TTRPG? Truly, it is an insoluble, unprecedented problem. Oh well, better go with a rules-light meditation on loneliness!"
Like two peas in a pod.

Coming at it from the opposite angle, I have also encountered people who viewed any attempt to redirect them toward better games as gatekeeping. They didn't want to play some rinky dink indie product, they wanted to play The World's Most Popular Role Playing Game. Anyone recommending anything else was trying to exclude them from the big leagues.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

mellonbread posted:

Hell yeah.

Like two peas in a pod.

Coming at it from the opposite angle, I have also encountered people who viewed any attempt to redirect them toward better games as gatekeeping. They didn't want to play some rinky dink indie product, they wanted to play The World's Most Popular Role Playing Game. Anyone recommending anything else was trying to exclude them from the big leagues.

Ah, the WWE fandom.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

The Bee posted:

Ah, the WWE fandom.

its a very similar mentality lol, even has the whole "people call the hobby The One Thing"

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

mellonbread posted:

Sure, link it.

The thing that should have been a shoe-in was "ration healing, spells, special abilities and non regenerating consumables as you traverse dangerous areas between safe zones where you can rest to restore your resources." That's something Dark Souls has in common with all editions of D&D. But they couldn't even get that right

It's not surprising, Steamforged made exactly one good game and has been making pure shovelware since.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mellonbread posted:

Hell yeah.

Like two peas in a pod.

I've seen stupid people on the internet who've said stuff like that but getting extremely smug about the superiority of your specific narrative-first game about a very specific thing is exactly why that joke was funny as poo poo. I don't really think games work on that 'objectively superior' basis that's implied in this kind of statement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That one twitter comment was right, it's basically the 'my gender is attack helicopter' of RPG 'jokes'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I maintain that a Runequest hack is the ebst fit for Dark Souls.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That one twitter comment was right, it's basically the 'my gender is attack helicopter' of RPG 'jokes'

Are you comparing fishblade to transphobia?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wow that Tuxedo Catfish meltdown is hilarious.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I maintain that a Runequest hack is the ebst fit for Dark Souls.

Honestly, I could see it. You could even make interesting covenants by grouping the runes together. What is a warrior of sunlight but someone with talent in the fire, sky, and air runes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

I'd do it [Dark Souls] in gurps for maximum tactical realism, 150 point characters, go.

one of my most memorable GURPS encounters was utilizing blocks, dodges, parries, and spending Stamina points to cleanly avoid as many as six attacks per round from a multi-armed Medusa so I approve of this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If I'm explicitly looking for a D&D replacement rather than just "An RPG to play" then I'm looking for something with involved character creation where I lego-brick character options together into a rough approximation of the magical pseudo-middle ages character concept I have in my head, wargame-inspired combat with defined abilities and turn orders and I know things are going poorly when my side's arbitrary health metric is depleting too fast, and a dice rolling mechanic where rolling the good numbers for important things is inarguably better than rolling the bad numbers.

The last one is what a lot of people trying pitch PbTA/FitD hacks fail at understanding what a lot of existing D&D players want out of an alternative. PbtA/FitD are crunchy systems, but both the people pitching it and the system itself are very heavy on "rolling bad can be good actually!", when really we just want "Oh I rolled good! That's good!"

Like there can be multiple channels of "success" and mechanics where you can voluntarily fail to succeed more later/get compensated for failure with a few succeed better later chits, and you can have a failure still be a success at the task but with consequences, and so on and so forth, like I'm not saying it has to be "1d20 + mods binary success". I'm saying that in a mechanically D&D-esque system if you're rolling dice you're doing it because you, the player, want to roll the good numbers, so you're always going to try to pick your best numbers to roll for the highest overall chance of achieving the best in-character version of your goal in the situation, and (in a better system than D&D) the designers understood this and built the system around it.

Because I know what other games are out there and what they bring to the table, if I want to play D&D but good I don't want to play a "good fantasy RPG", I want to play a fantasy RPG that evokes the mechanics of D&D, but good.

I'm not sure who this is in reply to tbh but it's been knocking around my head since yesterday so it's yer problem now.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 23, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When I ran Call of Cthulhu I would get some similar cheers for clutch low numbers. One of my favorite gaming memories was making two 12% shots (01 and 03!) in a Twilight 2000 campaign, though that one was socially mediated.

So yeah, the dopamine hit of 'good number' is real imo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

gradenko_2000 posted:

one of my most memorable GURPS encounters was utilizing blocks, dodges, parries, and spending Stamina points to cleanly avoid as many as six attacks per round from a multi-armed Medusa so I approve of this

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I imagine from a Dark Souls game. Especially if this frees you (or an ally) up to then capitalize, instead of nothing happening when the enemy misses a la D&D.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow that Tuxedo Catfish meltdown is hilarious.

More like Tuxedo Bladefish

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Tuxedo Catfish was right. Insofar as a basic D&D-type shell isn't appropriate for a Souls-like game it's only because the basic turn-based combat doesn't do a good job of modeling committing to attacks and spells with variable usage times and either getting away with it or being interrupted/evaded and punished, but that problem's solvable a number of ways.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Tuxedo Catfish was right. Insofar as a basic D&D-type shell isn't appropriate for a Souls-like game it's only because the basic turn-based combat doesn't do a good job of modeling committing to attacks and spells with variable usage times and either getting away with it or being interrupted/evaded and punished, but that problem's solvable a number of ways.

From what I've heard, the Dark Souls rpg that only ever got released in Japan does a decent sort of job of simulating the push and pull of Dark Souls combat. You roll a pool of d6s and have to decide which ones you wanna commit to performing certain actions (with some moves requiring a minimum total number, and some demanding a specific number on the die) and how much you wanna keep in reserve to block stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ferrinus posted:

Actual question and not a dig: can you articulate a couple examples? I'd love to get away from round-based initiative-order combat, but barring throwing in an interrupt system, hell if I know how to make it work at a table with a bunch of humans all talking over each other.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

grassy gnoll posted:

Actual question and not a dig: can you articulate a couple examples? I'd love to get away from round-based initiative-order combat, but barring throwing in an interrupt system, hell if I know how to make it work at a table with a bunch of humans all talking over each other.

The game mechanic Asterite just mentioned is one way to do it, but you could also use an Exalted 2E-like tick system or make some combination of defenses and actual turn order vary dynamically and respond to who hit whom how hard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Asterite34 posted:

From what I've heard, the Dark Souls rpg that only ever got released in Japan does a decent sort of job of simulating the push and pull of Dark Souls combat. You roll a pool of d6s and have to decide which ones you wanna commit to performing certain actions (with some moves requiring a minimum total number, and some demanding a specific number on the die) and how much you wanna keep in reserve to block stuff.

This actually sounds pretty interesting. Has it been translated?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

No. All we have are a couple of posts from people who read/played it in Japanese:

https://blogofarcanesecrets.wordpress.com/2018/09/29/my-experience-with-the-dark-souls-tabletop-rpg/

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/let%E2%80%99s-read-the-official-dark-souls-trpg.857739/

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 23, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

A fan translation allegedly exists somewhere, but I certainly can't find it via google. No way in hell it'll ever be officially translated though, that IP license threw in its lot with the D20 OGL over here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ferrinus posted:

Nah, I was reacting to something nobody at that time actually said, in terms of actually disparaging mechanical emulation relative to narrative emulation. That's on me.

It remains the case that "but I'm right to recommend Fishblade!", even when it's absolutely true, is kind of a funny sentiment.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Nah because of the garbage dnd knockoff one, thats basically never happening. It was genuinely full of clever ideas to emulate the dark souls experience. My favourite were the rules were you couldn't communicate verbally with the other characters in certain situations and could only pass on instructions using expressions, hand movements and body language.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kingcom posted:

Nah because of the garbage dnd knockoff one, thats basically never happening. It was genuinely full of clever ideas to emulate the dark souls experience. My favourite were the rules were you couldn't communicate verbally with the other characters in certain situations and could only pass on instructions using expressions, hand movements and body language.

It sounds amazing, I love the stamina mechanic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kingcom posted:

That absolutely rules.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Ferrinus posted:

The game mechanic Asterite just mentioned is one way to do it, but you could also use an Exalted 2E-like tick system or make some combination of defenses and actual turn order vary dynamically and respond to who hit whom how hard.

For a long time I was working on a dark-souls inspired minitures game that used a token system where you had tokens 1-6 in 3 suits in rock-paper scissors order and played tokens were visible so you could theoreticly guess what opoonents had and played next, though I never got past the problem of players just randomly playing tokens.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

quote:

Taking Action

If you’re an avid game player, chances are you’re used to choosing an action or actions on your “turn” - probably from a list of allowable actions or categories of actions. This method works great for outdated games with boards and certain inferior (I hate to even credit them with the term “role-playing”) games that have to hem in players because they either prefer simple games or plainly lack the genius to play the Greatest Game Known to Man.

In contrast, much like in real life, your HackMaster character can attempt any action he wants at any time. For instance, in real life, to walk across the room you think about doing so, start moving and after a certain number of seconds you accomplish the task. Likewise, in HackMaster, if your character wants to take an action (such as crossing the tavern floor), you simply declare his intent and after a certain amount of time (if there are no unexpected obstacles) he completes his action.

Thus, HackMaster has no artificial time segmentation such as “turns,” “rounds,” “segments” or “phases.” In HackMaster, your character’s actions are measured in seconds, by time and time alone. I know this concept can seem difficult after a life of being restrained by unnecessary rules, but I promise that after a session or two, keeping track of actions (using actual time like your ancestors intended) will come naturally for you.

For instance, let’s say Kerak the dwarf fighter attacks on Initiative 4 with his battle axe (Weapon Speed 12). He and the defender make their attack and defense rolls to determine how successful the attack was. Kerak can again attack with his battle axe when the GM’s Count Up reaches 16 (4+12=16).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
this is violence

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

It sounds amazing, I love the stamina mechanic.

I believe Kamigakari has something similar, in that you have a "spirit pool" of a few d6s you roll periodically that you can make little Yahtzee hands to use your special moves, like two odd numbers or a matching pair or whatever and you spend those to fire a magic hadouken.

You can also substitute them into 2d6 skill checks pretty much whenever. Like if you're trying to hack a computer or something and roll two 6s but you only need to get seven or higher to succeed, you can take a low lovely number from your spirit pool and swap it with the 6, which you now have in your back pocket to use later to boost up some later skill check or use for a cool combat move.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Asterite34 posted:

I believe Kamigakari has something similar, in that you have a "spirit pool" of a few d6s you roll periodically that you can make little Yahtzee hands to use your special moves, like two odd numbers or a matching pair or whatever and you spend those to fire a magic hadouken.

You can also substitute them into 2d6 skill checks pretty much whenever. Like if you're trying to hack a computer or something and roll two 6s but you only need to get seven or higher to succeed, you can take a low lovely number from your spirit pool and swap it with the 6, which you now have in your back pocket to use later to boost up some later skill check or use for a cool combat move.

Oh, that sounds awesome.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I would unironically contribute to funding a fan translation of the Japanese Dark Souls RPG, and I don't even like Dark Souls.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I did look at the original once and learned that the Japanese kindle app is a blooming nightmare.

The people who played it didn’t seem to play it again so it may have had issues in practice.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Panzeh posted:

I've seen stupid people on the internet who've said stuff like that but getting extremely smug about the superiority of your specific narrative-first game about a very specific thing is exactly why that joke was funny as poo poo. I don't really think games work on that 'objectively superior' basis that's implied in this kind of statement.

People get extremely smug about all sorts of crap TTRPGs and board games they've made. They just find different ways to be smug about it. "My game is the best because it's light and artful and progressive." "My game is the best because it's a brutal ~realistic~ depiction of medieval warfare against the unwashed Saracen hordes!" "My game is the best because it's about being a Kobold and Kobolds are the best!"

Objectively, only the last one is the best, but that doesn't mean the other types don't invest way too much personal worth in why they're smarter than everyone else.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hyphz posted:

The people who played it didn’t seem to play it again so it may have had issues in practice.

Entirely possible, yes, but it's also a quirk of the tabletop hobby over there that stuff is generally more geared toward oneshots you can fit into any random get-together rather than long campaigns you have to schedule around, so not a lot of repeat games might not be a strong indicator of level of quality.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Also I should note that Riddle of Steel also has a detailed combat system with dice pool assignment and is a lot more accessible in English!

I do recall it also showed a problem with dice pool assignment, in that dice don't know why they're being rolled. Allowing for defense to hedge against a bad roll arguably doesn't make sense, because the bad roll will just happen on the defense dice instead.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I'm reminded of the Fat Han build from the old X Wing game. You can get an extra success if you correctly guess how many successes you roll. So you always guess zero, guaranteeing at least one success.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I do genuinely think GURPS would be suitable for Dark Souls- the limitations of low tech in the awkwardness of weapons like bows, crossbows, etc don't really matter so much and the feeling of attack and defense works pretty well for it. It's not going to simulate fat rolling persay but the defensive mechanics do allow a retreating defense.

mellonbread posted:

I'm reminded of the Fat Han build from the old X Wing game. You can get an extra success if you correctly guess how many successes you roll. So you always guess zero, guaranteeing at least one success.

I used to play Fat Han all the time- it was great dropping the damage coming in- just crazy annoying to try to take down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Asterite34 posted:

Very cool.