Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mooseontheloose posted:

girl...pick up the grenade so there isn't any doubt instead of that poo poo lighter.

A frag grenade wouldn't light gas on fire reliably. A lighter would be better, unless your fingers are spasming because you're minutes away from turning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Miching Mallecho posted:

:lol:
Ellie has an awesome sammich

And Joel has...beef jerky? :lol:

Yes... 'beef'.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There would definitely have been lots of cows roaming around post-apocalyptic Boston.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The clickers' voice sound design is great, it's like the most wretched vocal fry ever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

They do nail the feel of Boston but as a Bostonian the geography all feels a little off to me. Nitpickiest thing for me, for sure other than Anna Trove, girl...pick up the grenade so there isn't any doubt instead of that poo poo lighter.

They filmed the majority of the city scenes in downtown Calgary, so that's probably why things feel a bit "off". They did a LOT of digital set extensions and skyline replacements but looking at certain scenes, I could just feel bits of Calgary peeking through. Like how it was kinda rough to watch the Arrowverse shows because they just went "gently caress it" at some point and stopped even trying to pretend it wasn't all just downtown Vancouver.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
You think zippo is pissed off because like 90% of the time their poo poo is used on screen it is failing for dramatic tension?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

You think zippo is pissed off because like 90% of the time their poo poo is used on screen it is failing for dramatic tension?

Yeah, I kept thinking "just bend down and use the sparks to ignite the gas if it ain't lighting!". Great episode otherwise.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

apatheticman posted:

IME it's pretty accurate, they dry out pretty quickly. They mostly just look cool and are fun to use. A Bic is better in every possible situation, except it's not refillable.

Rageaholic posted:

This Indonesia scene is neat. There was nothing like this in the game. New territory!

Oh, that's cool. I haven't played the games and thought that whole scene was great. Good indication that they're taking the source material in a good direction. Really enjoying the show so far.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 23, 2023

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It’s been a really long time since I’ve seen someone use a Zippo in real life. I used to love them but they would always slide right out on my pockets and be lost whenever I wore anything that wasn’t jeans.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A zippo works fine if you use it several times per day to light all of your cigarettes. If you just spark it 2-4 times per year while trying to look cool then it is a highly unreliable source of fire.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

withak posted:

There would definitely have been lots of cows turkeys roaming around post-apocalyptic Boston.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I loved every bit of that episode. I am fully bought in now.

Lol at the point goons draw the line for unrealistic is the mushroom zombies having echolocation.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

D-Pad posted:

Lol at the point goons draw the line for unrealistic is the mushroom zombies having echolocation.

I'm getting really annoyed at Reddit comments saying that the science is "realistic". There are no fungi that change human behaviour, while there are several viruses that do (although none of them make people zombies). Making the zombie apocalypse caused by fungus is creepy and effective, but it's certainly not more realistic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

They filmed the majority of the city scenes in downtown Calgary, so that's probably why things feel a bit "off". They did a LOT of digital set extensions and skyline replacements but looking at certain scenes, I could just feel bits of Calgary peeking through. Like how it was kinda rough to watch the Arrowverse shows because they just went "gently caress it" at some point and stopped even trying to pretend it wasn't all just downtown Vancouver.

Calgary and Edmonton. Shared cinematic universe with iron blooded orphans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liked the little frog playing piano... :shobon:

Also yeah the opening scene was great and I dug that they flipped around the usual dynamic you'd expect between the seen-it-all soldier and the brilliant but naive professor by having her straight up jump to,"Bomb the city immediately," and his horrified reaction.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
old lady had loving ice water in her veins. shame tess died, anyone who mixes diesel fuel and hand grenades knows how to party.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
One thing I like as opposed to a show like The Walking Dead is that the "zombies" are a threat. It took a hell of alot just to take down two of them, and even though they won, the entire battle was one of desperation. That shows how dangerous the world is. If you are alone and bump into 2+ of the infected, you are dead. Much different than The Walking Dead where zombies just become fodder with heads made of paper mache that can be taken out dozens at a time.

It adds immense amounts of suspense to any encounter. It also shows why people would be reluctant to even attempt to retake anything overrun by the fungi. Even a well organized team of people would probably take heavy losses or be wiped out by a small group of infected.

Hopefully their power levels don't fluctuate throughout the show. I'm almost hoping that encounters with the infected aren't too frequent, and that anytime there is an encounter it is a desperate battle for survival.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I'd argue they didn't even win. Two seasoned pros vs two of them and only one of them makes it out. I'd argue it highlights how hosed it is because Ellie is gotten again, so if she wasn't super-immune it would have been just Joel left.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Justin Credible posted:

I'd argue they didn't even win. Two seasoned pros vs two of them and only one of them makes it out. I'd argue it highlights how hosed it is because Ellie is gotten again, so if she wasn't super-immune it would have been just Joel left.

That's true. I think I worded that a bit incorrectly. Your point does a better job getting across what I wanted to express.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

One thing the game was always really, really good at if you set it up to be was how loving terrifying through actual literal gameplay the game was. For those of you who haven’t played TLOU, the difficulty changes not only how strong the enemies are and how hard they hit, but adjusts how many there are per encounter, how aggressive they are, how much and how often you find ammo, how often you find materials which you make improvised weapons out of, material costs to build improvised weapons, and enemy intelligence in general.

Most combat encounters can be avoided outright if you sneak through them effectively, and on the highest difficulty when you start all the zombies are basically these near-unkillable two-shotting geniuses with unpredictable movement patterns, and you’re basically constantly running on complete empty with virtually no ammo or weapons or items and every improvised item you do make costs nearly all your resources. It both makes the game really satisfyingly hard but every time you go into a zombie room like in the episode this overwhelming dread just hits you because you’re always playing at a severe disadvantage. Even when you win, sometimes you’ll go into a combat encounter with maybe a lot of pistol ammo or something and the encounter goes slightly wrong and now all your ammo is gone and you’re at absurdly low health and this absurd level of just fatalist despair hits you because of just how thoroughly you’ve hosed yourself for future encounters. It’s insane how impressive of a game TLOU is at imparting a mood even through gameplay, and I was delighted to see they transferred that over to the tv show as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

99grind posted:

I realize opinions like “The game is so much better” are pretty low effort

[…]

The young girl is way too witty for my taste as well - Her constant sarcastic one liners kinda pull me out of the tense atmosphere they’re trying to build sometimes.

That’s a cornerstone of the game though.

Jerusalem posted:

I liked the little frog playing piano... :shobon:

Wish they made cars as tough as that piano.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

DaiJiaTeng posted:

One thing I like as opposed to a show like The Walking Dead is that the "zombies" are a threat. It took a hell of alot just to take down two of them, and even though they won, the entire battle was one of desperation. That shows how dangerous the world is. If you are alone and bump into 2+ of the infected, you are dead. Much different than The Walking Dead where zombies just become fodder with heads made of paper mache that can be taken out dozens at a time.

It adds immense amounts of suspense to any encounter. It also shows why people would be reluctant to even attempt to retake anything overrun by the fungi. Even a well organized team of people would probably take heavy losses or be wiped out by a small group of infected.

Hopefully their power levels don't fluctuate throughout the show. I'm almost hoping that encounters with the infected aren't too frequent, and that anytime there is an encounter it is a desperate battle for survival.

Basically, they get stronger as the fungus takes over and they become less human. So your stage 1 "Runner" is like being attacked by a regular dude on PCP, but after enough years they mature into a stage 2 "Clicker" and hit like a blind gorilla. Like Joel said, a few have been around for two decades so it gets gnarly. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the games contain boss fights.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

NieR Occomata posted:

One thing the game was always really, really good at if you set it up to be was how loving terrifying through actual literal gameplay the game was. For those of you who haven’t played TLOU, the difficulty changes not only how strong the enemies are and how hard they hit, but adjusts how many there are per encounter, how aggressive they are, how much and how often you find ammo, how often you find materials which you make improvised weapons out of, material costs to build improvised weapons, and enemy intelligence in general.

Yeah TLOU is really good at creating the "holy poo poo I survived just by the skin of my teeth" vibe where it doesn't feel frustratingly insurmountable but it's always tense. Some of that is picking the right difficulty but a lot of it is just really smart design at any difficulty.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Joel having to reload mid-fight and basically emptying the gun of all ammo again to put the clicker down definitely brought back some memories of encounters in the early-game, yep! :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This show is still not doing anything new or interesting. When does it supposedly get good?

blue squares posted:

Oh, well my bad! Sorry for being a dickhead
Despite what any external material may say, they clearly don't have echolocation (or any kind of senses that work in an explicable way) in the show or they wouldn't need to wait for the humans to make a sound to track them. They've somehow got the ability to see inanimate objects so they can avoid them, but can't see people and have to wait for them to make a sound. They can't hear very well though, because otherwise they'd be able to hear footsteps, etc. It's very video-gamey - walk slowly and the enemies won't hear you; don't run though because that'll alert them instantly.

frogbs posted:

A Bic is better in every possible situation, except it's not refillable.
A regular disposable lighter won't stay lit if you drop it, which is the one thing people need them to do in these kinds of scenes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just kinda chucking a half eaten chicken sandwich into a backpack with my dirty jacket and other survival tools. :gonk:

Liked the various scenes of frogs and other animals doing just fine its just you humans that are hosed.

Anna Torv was a great Tess wish she had another episode or two.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tiggum posted:

This show is still not doing anything new or interesting. When does it supposedly get good?

Your posting is still not doing anything new or interesting, when does it supposedly get good?

This ep solved all the problems the last one had, great tension and pacing with some really memorable imagery -- that mycelial kiss of death :barf:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McSpanky posted:

Your posting is still not doing anything new or interesting, when does it supposedly get good?
No one ever claimed it would.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tiggum posted:

Despite what any external material may say, they clearly don't have echolocation (or any kind of senses that work in an explicable way) in the show or they wouldn't need to wait for the humans to make a sound to track them. They've somehow got the ability to see inanimate objects so they can avoid them, but can't see people and have to wait for them to make a sound. They can't hear very well though, because otherwise they'd be able to hear footsteps, etc. It's very video-gamey - walk slowly and the enemies won't hear you; don't run though because that'll alert them instantly.

My guess was that the clickers DO use echolocation, but also that their hearing isn't particularly good. I've never played the games but checking the wiki seems to confirm that this is how it works in the game, at least - that their echolocation skills are at best on par with human level echolocation, and that its a compensation for their lack of better senses rather than any sort of superhuman ability.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 23, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

In the game clickers explicitly have echolocation, but they can’t see you unless you move. So, their echolocation is good enough to see obstacles, but it’s not refined enough to tell a human from a bush unless less it starts walking around like a bush wouldn’t.

Presumably it’s the same in the show.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Tiggum posted:

Yea this episode was less interesting than the previous. FWiW pretty much all early reviewers said the next episode is a big departure from the game and maybe the best in the series.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
as i kind of expected, the vfx isn't really there on the infected, and they basically keep using steadycams and hard focus to compensate for it, which is a little dizzying. the comping of the main characters against the greenscreen is particularly bad, and the proportions/perspective seem completely off most of the time. i can only assume vfx had to crunch as hard as a naughty dog employee, so obviously i'm not going to lay any blame there. it's just very jarring

i do wonder whether it's just a nerd/gamer thing where you notice these things that most people don't, like the people complaining about the variable refresh rate in avatar 2

remember that the second podcast episode is out too btw

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 23, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

I'm getting really annoyed at Reddit comments saying that the science is "realistic". There are no fungi that change human behaviour, while there are several viruses that do (although none of them make people zombies). Making the zombie apocalypse caused by fungus is creepy and effective, but it's certainly not more realistic.

Covidyceps is real!

99grind
Jan 19, 2023

Techno

kliras posted:

i do wonder whether it's just a nerd/gamer thing where you notice these things that most people don't, like the people complaining about the variable refresh rate in avatar 2

I would say yes. That’s why I try not to learn too much about the fine details of graphics and A/V. Ignorance is bliss haha

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

99grind posted:

I would say yes. That’s why I try not to learn too much about the fine details of graphics and A/V. Ignorance is bliss haha
probably the same way it took americans to tell me about the mangled accents on the show

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yeah I mean the zombie genre is a bit overdone but so far the show has good acting, good levels of tension, competent directing and writing, and good pacing. My wife and I have really enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Overall much better episode than the first. Show has legs if it can keep this level of tension up as we go.

The indonesia scene was cool, but I do hope they don't go the route of overexplaining the fantasy mechanics of fungus spread. They've already given too much on this front and I don't want to be scoffing at anymore unrealistic/stupid "science."

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I have seen that particular criticism come up and I don't think the point of the fungus-expert scenes are there to try and lend scientific credibility to it. Those scenes are about the impending doom and fall of everything, where the people most understanding of what's coming are just 'we are hosed it's all over', along with giving the basic ruleset of how it all works.

... which is something you need for proper tension in a horror/supernatural type setting. That's what makes it scary, when you get how xyz works on some basic level, and you understand the threat towards the characters in various situations once you know those rules. They have spent very little screen time on it if you think about it - a couple intros. And the tone of those isn't 'trust us guys, this is SCIENCE', it's, 'these are the basics you need to know and just how hosed everything is going to be'. Creating legit feelings of impending apocalypse that people can see coming and are trying everything to stop, but are ultimately powerless to do so.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that cold openings consisting of a bunch of The Stand-esque vignettes about how randos experienced the apocalypse would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Moltke posted:

Overall much better episode than the first. Show has legs if it can keep this level of tension up as we go.

The indonesia scene was cool, but I do hope they don't go the route of overexplaining the fantasy mechanics of fungus spread. They've already given too much on this front and I don't want to be scoffing at anymore unrealistic/stupid "science."

I like the pre-outbreak scenes but also I agree in a way. I hope they focus less on “here is how the fungus outbreak happened “ and more “this is how society collapsed, the QZ’s formed, how people in other countries handled it, etc”