Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sounds like I should keep not knowing what OSW is

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dumb irish cunts

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Sounds like I should keep not knowing what OSW is

The good: retro wrestling review podcast but they use video and have the matches/segments they're talking about playing for reference. It's also edited really well.

The bad: everything mentioned in this thread. A lot of their humor is stuck in 2003.

It's one of the top wrestling content Patreons of I remember correctly from that list that was posted months ago.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Say what you will for the content of the post-Attitude Era AE Podcast, those dudes came from the exact same internet as OSW but have made a concerted effort over the past decade to be significantly less lovely.

bartok
May 10, 2006

shiksa posted:

slight derail but if anyone can point out what the joke in "nogger" is if it isn't just being cheeky about saying a slur id sure appreciate it

It doesn't help that they've called Mike Jones AKA Virgil/Vincent that word repeatedly because he out carnied one of those dipshits out of a very small amount of money

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

bartok posted:

It doesn't help that they've called Mike Jones AKA Virgil/Vincent that word repeatedly because he out carnied one of those dipshits out of a very small amount of money

The joke was that his red and white tights were the same as the ice cream bar packaging while, yeah, skirting close to saying the very bad word because it's 2003 Internet humour as someone said above. I don't think Virgil carnying him was a particularly sore point, more a funny story than anything - a fan even got Virgil to sign a $5 bill for them and now he has it framed in his office I think.

I feel like they've gotten slightly better over time about not being ignorant twats. I quite like it for sitting back with a beer and laughing at the old stuff, but some of the "jokes" they've told in the past have been really unpleasant, and some of their research continues to be absolute trash. I don't think they're actual horrible people - I remember when they covered the 1995 Royal Rumble they made sure to specially mention that the Harris Brothers and Dick Murdoch are/were proper shitheads so gently caress them - but a lot of Brits and Irish struggle to get over the old school Internet/pub comedy frame of mind.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Hedgehog Pie posted:

but a lot of Brits and Irish struggle to get over the old school Internet/pub comedy frame of mind.

I worked with an older Brit who regaled us with his golden age of comedy being Spike Milligan and The Goon Show, and the one sketch I saw was basically Birth Of A Nation but about Irish people, so that tracks. Lovely guy, when he came to visit us in the Boston office I recommended he not regale strangers with his stories about being a para in Belfast in the late 70’s

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

but some of the "jokes" they've told in the past have been really unpleasant

One of them, V1, will do watchalongs of old OSW episodes with his wife on Twitch, and ngl it's pretty funny to see him get in trouble with her for some of the horrible jokes they've made, especially the misogynistic ones. He has a look of horror/embarrassment from realizing he said those things, it's great.

Not to defend them or any of their past (or even current) content because some of their modern jokes + research can still be pretty bad, but in terms of just watching three friends chatting about wrestling I like them.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Vandar posted:

And Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight, and Benito Mussolini, and the Blue Meanie, and Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie...

:corsair::cheersbird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrzKT-dFUjE

stab fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 22, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1617326378130587649?s=20&t=CzIAQpB9NHsDJC5EwMUZTw

HHH is just daring Vince to take back creative at this point

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I liked that first NXT War Games where Roddy dressed like the AOP.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I love face teams showing solidarity by wearing the same colours. Give me guys in Surfer Sting face paint all day.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Going back a bit, but the way I have seen "knacker" used are:
1) tired. as in "I'm knackered after my 12 hour shift down the mines."
2)To kill a horse, and most likely turn it to glue.
and most often 3) a testicle. i.e. "I'm walking a bit gingerly because I got punched in the knackers by my 4 year old son yesterday"

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 23, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Going back a bit, but the way I have seen "knacker" used are:
1) tired. as in "I'm knackered after my 12 hour shift down the mines."
2)To kill a horse, and most likely turn it to glue.
and most often 3) a testicle. i.e. "I'm walking a bit gingerly because I got punched in the knackers by my 4 year old son yesterday"

Pretty much how it is here. Genuinely had no idea it had, uh, connotations elsewhere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

irony-free post:
in Ireland the word "knacker" can be used as a deragatory term for people of the Travelling community, who have been recognised as a distinct ethnic group by the Irish state.
so if you used it against a Traveller you would be comitting a racist crime/hate speech whatever it's called

there you go, good to know

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Look what you did you made QoP seriouspost

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Quantum of Phallus posted:

irony-free post:
in Ireland the word "knacker" can be used as a deragatory term for people of the Travelling community, who have been recognised as a distinct ethnic group by the Irish state.
so if you used it against a Traveller you would be comitting a racist crime/hate speech whatever it's called

Like the guy who helped Wesley Crusher?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Exactly like that

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

irony-free post:

Tír na nÓg rear end

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going on a trip to find out the origins of the word ****** as general and fully accepted commonwealth slang, and whether or not it actually is a slur everywhere even though it's not considered one everywhere. it appears to be initially what they would call a person whose business is the disposal of dead animals that cannot be eaten. so these days, if it's the same meaning, i imagine people who say they are '*******ed' are talking about how they're so worn out that they have to be hauled away by a *******. but was this a normal "clinical" noun at the time that it was in use, or a word that was somewhat insulting? in either case, did the word later become insulting because of the nature of the occupation? and was this definition, insulting at one point or not, eventually used in order to create the slur used toward certain people? if no one has answers to these questions it seems like there should be a moratorium on anyone saying they're *******ed, etc until i get back from my trip. I'll see you all in 2 weeks.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Travellers were typically the people who took away dead horses, the word has come to be associated and is considered a slur. Just call someone a scumbag instead, a word that has no association with a particular ethnicity.

Saying you're knackered isn't a slur, because you're not insulting anyone and you're not insulting travellers.

Tinker is another word that's been considered a slur, again because it's a traditional job associated with travellers who worked with tin. Calling them tinkers is not good, however it's being reclaimed by a few travellers still surviving in the profession.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

i'm going on a trip to find out the origins of the word ****** as general and fully accepted commonwealth slang, and whether or not it actually is a slur everywhere even though it's not considered one everywhere. it appears to be initially what they would call a person whose business is the disposal of dead animals that cannot be eaten. so these days, if it's the same meaning, i imagine people who say they are '*******ed' are talking about how they're so worn out that they have to be hauled away by a *******. but was this a normal "clinical" noun at the time that it was in use, or a word that was somewhat insulting? in either case, did the word later become insulting because of the nature of the occupation? and was this definition, insulting at one point or not, eventually used in order to create the slur used toward certain people? if no one has answers to these questions it seems like there should be a moratorium on anyone saying they're *******ed, etc until i get back from my trip. I'll see you all in 2 weeks.

take a poo poo a

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

take a poo poo a

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wasnt thinking of something like that and i don't like it.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Maxi Pad is a slur

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I've never heard of Travellers before this thread, so it was a good derail?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Looks like Kylie Rae never actually got signed

quote:

While speaking on the Going Broadway podcast, Kylie Rae revealed that WWE did not really accept her and didn’t sign her to a contract and she is doubtful about it happening right now.

Never say never, to my knowledge, not in the Rumble. As far as something long-term, at this point, I got the, ‘not right now’ deal, which is okay. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. If it’s meant to be, it would have happened. It’s more so, they’re having us still come back for extra work, I was there this past Friday and the Friday before.

Kylie Rae

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/notorious_mimi/status/1617604681253158912?s=20

Apparently Quincy Elliott did more poo poo.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1617631082408718338?s=20&t=oNgXMa9-g8R62JdEOsrB7A

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

There are rumors that The Rock might not be coming back, and we can confirm that WWE has had some plans in the event that doesn't happen, and some HUGE pitches.

Fightful Select has learned that a pitch was made internally for a "huge opponent" for Stone Cold Steve Austin, which Fightful Select was told was Roman Reigns. We're told at the very least, Austin's camp was approached with the possibility of it happening, which was said to have been for "enormous" money. In the Summer of 2022, Fightful reported that Austin was approached with a deal that wasn't as appealing from a financial standpoint. Those that we spoke to in WWE claimed they hadn't heard back on whether the more recent offer was accepted or not, and another source indicated that another "big name" was offered in the months prior.

As of early December, WrestleMania title matches (as reported by WrestlingNews.co) were slated as Drew McIntyre/Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins one night and TBD/Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns another night. We do not know how or if that has changed.

Austin finally agreed to make an in-ring return at least year's WrestleMania, where he main evented against Kevin Owens. Even up until the day, there were concerns that Austin would change his mind, and we were told they weren't sure he'd do the night 2 interactions with Vince McMahon until the day of.

Sounds boring.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
As enjoyable as the Tribal Chief character has been, maybe they wouldn't have to beg Austin or Rock or Lesner to come back as his only credible opponents if they had done anything else with the rest of the roster for the last several years

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Starting to think The Fed doesn’t have a lot of faith in the Rollercodester. Sad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hilarious that they've just ASSUMED Rock was going to come in for the Roman match for like the 3rd year running and then had their make-believe plans crumble and resort to begging Stone Cold to show up for a 5-min squash. Roman's just gonna be doublechamp for eons because they hosed up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's going to so fun when Roman is coming back for main event Mania matches in 20 years time

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dacap posted:

Looks like Kylie Rae never actually got signed

Is Cody the only only AEW original WWE has actually signed?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Someone needs to pitch John Cena vs Dave Bautista 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Wouldn't Roman have stayed doublechamp anyway? Or is the belief that they were going to have him drop the title(s) to Dwayne?