Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

Something I really hope they keep in future games is the unit type system, the types like Mystical or Backup or Covert. They do a really good job of giving classes strong identities and are also an elegant way to make classes like Sage stay relevant when Mage Knight or the couple flying mages you get are an option.

Sure, you could dump your infantry mages and go for mounted or flying ones, but those are Cavalry or Flying type and lose the ability to ignore the target's terrain bonuses, so it's an actual trade-off for the extra mobility. Similarly, sure you could reclass your Thieves to Wolf Knights, but then they lose the Covert typing that makes them untouchable with any sort of terrain avoid bonus--again, a trade-off that's actually worth stopping to think about. You could make all of your melee units Wyvern Knights pretty easily, but those are Flying type, not Backup type, so you lose the ability to have them do chain attacks (which it turns out can be pretty drat powerful with some skill support).

edit: now that I think about it, the pattern seems to be that infantry units have really useful type bonuses, while the type bonuses for mounted unit types are just "more mobility." That means there's actually a strong reason to use a variety of infantry classes, because as great as mobility is, those infantry type bonuses (Chain Attack, Chain Guard, covert terrain bonus, mystical terrain ignoring, immunity to break) are really good and often worth keeping.

It would be cool if we got basics of the same class but different types, like an axe fighter with covert or a soldier with chain guard or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

It would be cool if we got basics of the same class but different types, like an axe fighter with covert or a soldier with chain guard or something.

That could be cool yeah. Like a Guerrilla Fighter class that's an axe-wielding covert, or a Hoplite that's a chain guarding lancer, things like that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Amppelix posted:

that pic came from a real piece of work "anti-localisation" chud twitter account so i wouldn't trust the translation unconditionally, but given that he was trying to make the official version seem bad for removing this maybe we can lol

You'd think an anti-localization chud would write the original to look less skeevy if they were pushing an anti-localization agenda.

Harrow posted:

edit: now that I think about it, the pattern seems to be that infantry units have really useful type bonuses, while the type bonuses for mounted unit types are just "more mobility." That means there's actually a strong reason to use a variety of infantry classes, because as great as mobility is, those infantry type bonuses (Chain Attack, Chain Guard, covert terrain bonus, mystical terrain ignoring, immunity to break) are really good and often worth keeping.

I actually think it goes too far in the case of non-flying mounts. +1 movement from being on a horse or a wolf does not remotely make up for the loss of an infantry passive, at all. For the first time in an FE game, cavalry feel pretty poo poo. Maybe they need like a one-tile canter baseline?

Flyers are fine.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 23, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm at chapter 10 and the only person who's gotten above 1000 SP is Alear. Sigurd has been taped to Louis since the earliest possible opportunity and he's level 12 now, but he's still only got 889. How do y'all do it lol

I've literally never seen a single skirmish pop up though so that may be why

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Getting Canter on everyone will require significant grinding before Chapter 10. You really, really don't need to do it or worry about it. Its not even like it makes the game that much easier, its a strong tool but its not like the game is balanced around everyone having it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Amppelix posted:

that pic came from a real piece of work "anti-localisation" chud twitter account so i wouldn't trust the translation unconditionally, but given that he was trying to make the official version seem bad for removing this maybe we can lol

From what I can understand from my knowledge of Japanese the translation is sadly accurate. The only sticking point is Anna uses 大切な人 which literally means important person and can be both romantic and platonic, but Alear uses 恋人 which is explicitly romantic partner so :yikes:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Harrow posted:

Something I really hope they keep in future games is the unit type system, the types like Mystical or Backup or Covert. They do a really good job of giving classes strong identities and are also an elegant way to make classes like Sage stay relevant when Mage Knight or the couple flying mages you get are an option.

Sure, you could dump your infantry mages and go for mounted or flying ones, but those are Cavalry or Flying type and lose the ability to ignore the target's terrain bonuses, so it's an actual trade-off for the extra mobility. Similarly, sure you could reclass your Thieves to Wolf Knights, but then they lose the Covert typing that makes them untouchable with any sort of terrain avoid bonus--again, a trade-off that's actually worth stopping to think about. You could make all of your melee units Wyvern Knights pretty easily, but those are Flying type, not Backup type, so you lose the ability to have them do chain attacks (which it turns out can be pretty drat powerful with some skill support).

having backup/covert/chain guard/etc as a way to differentiate classes owns, and if this doesnt make a return i will be sad

also i love that the designated healer in this game is also the dedicated "punch the poo poo out of things" button. framme was my healer who occasionally killed people who weren't wearing armor. then i got lyn's ring and she became the world's strongest kung-fu master who will occasionally begrudgingly heals people

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
especially as that's the point in the game where every flier (and celine if she still keeps pace) can do healing as a side gig and you can just let her go ham

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Endorph posted:

the map design's way tighter and combat's way snappier but it lacks the indepth character building stuff from three houses, characters are also mostly just their bases/growths and base class rather than stuff like the unique combat arts/spell lists from 3h.

there's a decent amount of stuff you can do at base but its mostly just dicking around and very little of it is mandatory or helps you in any meaningful way. fishing is here but it gives way less benefit, that kind of thing. if you don't want to do any inbetween battles stuff you can blaze through that management in 5-10 minutes.

I'm glad about this, I'm not able to turn my brain off from "Optimal" mode at all times so even on my New Game Plus 3 Houses playthrough where I'm cruising through enemies I still had to check and make sure every unit was studying the right skills between every battle so they could maximize their development and hit the endgame classes with learned skills that I planned for them. It was fun to plan but then in execution mentally draining and turned the game into homework

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

I actually think it goes too far in the case of non-flying mounts. +1 movement from being on a horse or a wolf does not remotely make up for the loss of an infantry passive, at all. For the first time in an FE game, cavalry feel pretty poo poo. Maybe they need like a one-tile canter baseline?

Flyers are fine.

Even the normal two-tile Canter could be a good passive for Cavalry types, I think. If it's exclusive to Cavalry and can't be used by any infantry or flying units then that would do a lot to make Cavalry types more valuable and more on par with the great bonuses infantry get. I could maybe see that being too far in the other direction but I really think the Mystic, Covert, Qi Adept, and Backup bonuses are good enough that picking Canter over them is a meaningful trade that might not be worth it depending on the unit (which is how it should be).

Zore posted:

Getting Canter on everyone will require significant grinding before Chapter 10. You really, really don't need to do it or worry about it. Its not even like it makes the game that much easier, its a strong tool but its not like the game is balanced around everyone having it.

Also, (post-chapter 10 spoilers) the window of time before you get Sigurd back isn't that long, just a few chapters. You can do without Canter for a few chapters.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 23, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I did the thing

Not expecting him to contribute in combat (beyond chipping and breaking) ofc, he's now fully replacing Jean and Framme as my main healer

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

He looks like a very distinguished gentleman

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

also i love that the designated healer in this game is also the dedicated "punch the poo poo out of things" button. framme was my healer who occasionally killed people who weren't wearing armor. then i got lyn's ring and she became the world's strongest kung-fu master who will occasionally begrudgingly heals people

I wish there was an advanced class that dropped staves so Franne could embrace her identity and Reach Heaven Through Violence

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do paralogues have a set level or do they scale with story progress? I'm curious if I should always do paralogues right as they appear or if I can wait a chapter or two without accidentally outleveling them.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Ok, Tiki's engage is absurd. No one can do any damage to my Alear on maddening. Including map bosses. Including *caster* map bosses. A mighty 8 damage from the boss in chapter 9 whom I then turned around and doubled for their entire lifebar. Just absolutely ballistic, basically immortal for 3 turns, even has an AoE attack that ignores half enemy defense. Alear builds engage bar so fast that I can spend most of a map like this. I can also take a turn to barf out revival stones on my army as additional insurance.

Now, I'm sure this will taper off later in the game, but if nothing else, amassing a ton of revival stones on your units as you get through a map while having a very strong enemy phase unit who is like a knight that has a mountain of Res as well will always be incredible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol the bond conversation between Alcryst and Edelgard where she calls him out for sounding like Bernadetta

Obligatum VII posted:

Ok, Tiki's engage is absurd. No one can do any damage to my Alear on maddening. Including map bosses. Including *caster* map bosses. A mighty 8 damage from the boss in chapter 9 whom I then turned around and doubled for their entire lifebar. Just absolutely ballistic, basically immortal for 3 turns, even has an AoE attack that ignores half enemy defense. Alear builds engage bar so fast that I can spend most of a map like this. I can also take a turn to barf out revival stones on my army as additional insurance.

Now, I'm sure this will taper off later in the game, but if nothing else, amassing a ton of revival stones on your units as you get through a map while having a very strong enemy phase unit who is like a knight that has a mountain of Res as well will always be incredible.

Yeah Tiki is insanely busted, to the point that I kinda don't want to ever use Engage with whoever's wearing her bracelet. I'll take the growth bonus but there's such a thing as being so strong it kinda takes the fun out of things.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

lol the bond conversation between Alcryst and Edelgard where she calls him out for sounding like Bernadetta

Yeah Tiki is insanely busted, to the point that I kinda don't want to ever use Engage with whoever's wearing her bracelet. I'll take the growth bonus but there's such a thing as being so strong it kinda takes the fun out of things.

Edelgard is not wrong. That is a very accurate assessment.

And yeah... I feel bad about using Tiki, but being a dragon is so much fun. I just wish it didn't seem to break the game over it's knee pretty much trivially. The stat boosts should probably not have been as large as they were. Even at just +2 across the board it would have been fantastic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Do paralogues have a set level or do they scale with story progress? I'm curious if I should always do paralogues right as they appear or if I can wait a chapter or two without accidentally outleveling them.

They do give recommended levels and are usually absurdly more difficult than the story missions when they unlock after the first 2 where you get Jean/Anna.

The Engage Paralogues in particular are kinda nuts. You unlock the first one with a recommended level of 18 when the story mission you just beat had a recommended level of 12.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

They do give recommended levels and are usually absurdly more difficult than the story missions when they unlock after the first 2 where you get Jean/Anna.

The Engage Paralogues in particular are kinda nuts. You unlock the first one with a recommended level of 18 when the story mission you just beat had a recommended level of 12.

Oh cool, I'll happily wait a few chapters then :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zore posted:

I mean if that's putting it in the best light to try to make the localization look bad uh either that person has lost touch with reality by going so far down the 4chan rabbit hole they think out and out pedophilia is a good thing or its someone deliberately trying to troll.

they want to be able to marry the 11-year old girl op

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Sigurd paralogue may be the best Fire Emblem map I have ever seen, whoever was the map designer for this game cannot possibly have been paid enough.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

just being a cool guy fishing with my cool son

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

if only sommie could equip the wig and the shades at the same time...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

Flyers are fine.

+1 movement is plenty strong. Yeah, fliers also get that, but Cavalry needing to worry about a far less common effective weapon type than bows and being able to benefit from terrain is still a useful niche.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Anyone else surprised by how much of a Dork Amber is? I didn't expect that in the slightest. Also feeding Sommie a bag of flour every day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, the further I get into the game, the more I feel like the "change" to making mounted units less good and infantry better is just an artifact of the earlygame. Where I'm at (just finished chapter 16), it feels like the usual FE norms of mobility above all have reasserted themselves, and my generals are basically unusable. Promoted enemies hit hard enough that being doubled is a real downside, dying instantly to any mage is a real downside, and dual attacks doing percentage based damage means that any strategy which relies on one person taking a bunch of blows without counterkilling is doomed to be chipped down. And the real kicker is that, while armors have normal infantyr movement, generals don't get a move boost at all and are still stuck at 4.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You've gotten to a point where you can unlock the skill Pair Up, from Corrin's paralogue, which makes a unit immune to chain attacks, which is real handy. Dunno about all that other stuff, because my tank, Yunaka, is doing just fine and would be worse off on a mount.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

to be fair compared to 3h where there were like 3 viable endgame classes, 'everyone has canto' is way more forgivable (the viable endgame classes in 3h also had canto)

fwiw 3H has:

Gremory/Dark Flier/Wyvern Lord/Falcon Knight/Swordmaster/Assassin/Valkyrie/Sniper/Bow Knight all as very very strong endgame classes.

It just always gave the appearance of WL ascendancy because so many men don't have the other options.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm finally getting around to play more of Three Houses (which I've never finished), this time in 4k/60fps thanks to Yuzu (I own the game, but it's certainly much nicer with the higher framerate). I'm playing on Hard/Casual, though so far I've only had people die during an optional practice mission that was way above my level early on.

I'm guessing I should do this Cindered Shadows DLC campaign soon to unlock stuff for the main story? From what I understand it can be played whenever and doesn't spoil anything? I figure I should do it before my characters in the main story reach level 20, since (from what I understand) it unlocks new classes that you can play starting from level 20.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Warmaster is also plenty viable, in fact, there are only a handful of nonviable classes, unless we are redefining viable to mean 'the best option'. You'll be fine even on maddening unless you make every like, mortal savants and holy knights.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't have to do it all at once; the DLC has multiple chapters, and each chapter unlocks stuff in the main campaign. I think you only have to beat the first chapter to access the new side area in the monastary, which you wanna do early. The classes probably require the whole side story to be cleared, but the big money is the intermediate unlocks; recruitable characters. You wanna get them in your class before chapter 11 at the very latest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Next Jeigan should be a Robin Williams as Jack style mage that's got the body of an 88 year old man due to a curse.

And then they die six chapters in.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

War Master was probably the second best class after Wyvern Lord tbh (not counting DLCs)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like someone said someone about New Game+ is that true or just people guessing before release?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So Panette in my game got Build 3 times in a row, which is making a very strong case to be a permanent member of the team. I also just love her design.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I've been taking my time with Fire Emblem: Engage, but I'm enjoying it so far. On Hard/Casual, I started having a really good time with the tactical gameplay around chapter 5. Just finished the first paralogue and started my first skirmish, only to discover that I was probably going to have to actually think a bit about my unit placement, since I REALLY should have put a sword unit and a mage on the second placement group.

The stuff in the intro movie with evil-looking all-red-hair Alear was setting me up to think that they are going for the KOTOR twist where you were a big bad dark lord originally, and Dragon Mom was gaslighting you onto Team Hero. This was furthered by the flashback and how she could make Corrupted that were basically interchangeable with the zombie mobs. Alas, she got punked pretty early, and I suspect the writers have something a little different in mind.

Whether this turns out to be Fire Emblem Shadow The Hedgehog or not, I'm really liking the new differentiation between units. I have a lot more reason to care about my brigand and armor goons, and I think I agree with the reviews that say Engage is elevating the tactical combat. First few supports I saw were mostly boring, but Framme has gotten some excellent lines.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

War Master was probably the second best class after Wyvern Lord tbh (not counting DLCs)

War Master rules and is fun to use
Sadly there's no real reason to use Warrior over it or Wyvern Lord, even though it's a perfectly functional class with a neat shoulder spike. At least Hilda looks cool in it if you don't give her a dragon (give her a dragon, though).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

mycatscrimes posted:

Warmaster is also plenty viable, in fact, there are only a handful of nonviable classes, unless we are redefining viable to mean 'the best option'. You'll be fine even on maddening unless you make every like, mortal savants and holy knights.

Yeah it was more just listing the ones off the top of my head where they're very arguably the best option on a character. Like WM is viable but WL will do its job better on almost all the men who equip it. Whereas FK is at least arguable on the girls with lance talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panette is the real crit machine, I'm impressed by her. Hovering around 70% without supports atm.