Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

goferchan posted:

I would shoot to unlock all runes, Repentance switched things up so it's no longer a good idea to game the unlocks and just get the good ones. Now there are "rune shards" that can drop in place of locked runes which are basically shittier unlabeled versions of any given rune. Unlocking all of them makes the shards stop showing up

oh is that how that works. gently caress. I need to unlock all the runes then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I'm not sure if it's as simple as "whenever a locked rune would drop, a rune shard drops instead" I just know they stop showing up when you unlock them all

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

goferchan posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if it's as simple as "whenever a locked rune would drop, a rune shard drops instead" I just know they stop showing up when you unlock them all

given it was a nerf to "only unlock 1 or two runes, get showered in hyper common jera, perthro and algiz runes", I imagine rune drop rate is consistent throughout the game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

egg tats posted:

given it was a nerf to "only unlock 1 or two runes, get showered in hyper common jera, perthro and algiz runes", I imagine rune drop rate is consistent throughout the game

:rip: a great way to cheese Greed mode

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
repentance is so much better than ab+ its not even funny

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Rune shard stops showing up when you have at least 6 runes, including soul stones, unlocked. You don't need all of them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i still cant unlock birthright!

friggin dual character that doesnt even work in the friggin game properly!!!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
umnmmm you tried not losing??

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ArfJason posted:

umnmmm you tried not losing??

actually I was only playing it in a dream so yeah I need to try your idea

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I think I've been playing this game wrong. Each of my runs begins with me constantly rerolling the first floor item room until I get something fun like laser tears or the one where you can walk into blocks to destroy them. My runs all look the same. I think I need to lookup how to unlock more items. I can get by the Isaac or Satan boss doing this but not much further.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Books On Tape posted:

I think I've been playing this game wrong. Each of my runs begins with me constantly rerolling the first floor item room until I get something fun like laser tears or the one where you can walk into blocks to destroy them. My runs all look the same. I think I need to lookup how to unlock more items. I can get by the Isaac or Satan boss doing this but not much further.

Improving at the game means, in part, learning how to make lemons out of lemonade. You can make an amazing run out of not-amazing items, but if you only ever restart until you get an amazing item and lean on that the whole run, you’ll never learn how.

Personally I never restart a run immediately unless the first item is, like, the Data Miner or the Clicker or something truly unusable like that, and there are very few items that bad. Even then, there might be something else about the first floor which makes up for the terrible item, like maybe it has a sacrifice room and a lot of red hearts dropped.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

Do challenges, especially the first 20-ish and the challenges added by repentance. Unlocks a shitload of good new items and pickups

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Ariong posted:

Improving at the game means, in part, learning how to make lemons out of lemonade. You can make an amazing run out of not-amazing items, but if you only ever restart until you get an amazing item and lean on that the whole run, you’ll never learn how.

Personally I never restart a run immediately unless the first item is, like, the Data Miner or the Clicker or something truly unusable like that, and there are very few items that bad. Even then, there might be something else about the first floor which makes up for the terrible item, like maybe it has a sacrifice room and a lot of red hearts dropped.

You might also just get a game breaking item later, it's never too late to win.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just used Plan C as The Lost during Hush' second phase.

He started his death animation but I died immediately and didn't get the unlock. Now I have double and triple checked this, the game allows you to use plan C with both Lost characters except against Ultra Greedier. So my very calm and reasonable question is: what in the loving goddamn flying gently caress happened?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kawabata posted:

Just used Plan C as The Lost during Hush' second phase.

He started his death animation but I died immediately and didn't get the unlock. Now I have double and triple checked this, the game allows you to use plan C with both Lost characters except against Ultra Greedier. So my very calm and reasonable question is: what in the loving goddamn flying gently caress happened?

You just fell for the trap

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I never use Plan C unless I have a same room revival method, too easy for poo poo to go sideways

I finally beat the Bloody Mary challenge after many many attempts, and only because I had Placenta and a very lucky Sacred Heart granted from an angel room. gently caress that challenge, took me 95 minutes but it is done

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hush takes too long to die for plan c to work on it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Relyssa posted:

Hush takes too long to die for plan c to work on it

Nah, it works, although with the caveat that IIRC some of it's animations block the death animation from starting until they finish, which CAN set up a scenario where you die before the death registers due to the delay.

Plan C is still an item I'm very hesitant to take without some form of extra lives though, for exactly this reason. Dumb finicky game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ariong posted:

Yeah. Any random economic advantage like a bag can add up if you get it early. Even deeply unexciting resource items like "+5 bombs" can allow you to extract value from the first few floors you otherwise wouldn't (eg secret rooms and tinted rocks), and therefore amount to an "OK" pickup.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

Nah, it works, although with the caveat that IIRC some of it's animations block the death animation from starting until they finish, which CAN set up a scenario where you die before the death registers due to the delay.

Plan C is still an item I'm very hesitant to take without some form of extra lives though, for exactly this reason. Dumb finicky game.

It does need to be on phase 2 to work though, if you try it on phase 1 it just kills you and moves it to phase 2.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I picked up the game after a long time away (hadn't played since Rebirth came out) and have been playing off-and-on when I get the urge. I think Repentance is great, but I have hit a wall with progression. I'm stuck in trying to get to / beat Mother right now. I do okay with other boss paths (???/Lamb with every character I have, Mega Satan with most of them, Hush with a few, Delirium with one so far, and Ultra Greed with a few), but I usually die on my way to Mother when I attempt that path.

I don't know if I need to be better at knowing pickups, if I'm missing out on an ideal path to follow (e.g. should I not go to Downpour until Basement 2), or if I just need to be better at video games. Any tips on improvements I could make?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

It's a harder path in general so some of it is just developing the muscle memory, but one thing to keep in mind if you're not already doing it is that when you go through the mirror in Downpour 2 you can always fight the boss again and get another boss room item. I also think it's worth just doing the full alt path to get a choice in the treasure rooms and get more familiar with the enemies.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I usually don't do the alt floors unless I'm going for mother, playing j+e for double items, or got a really nice item like magic mushroom or 20/20 floor 1 and feel confident I can do well*

*note: will not actually do well

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The item room choice on its own isn't worth much but the floors do each offer another benefit.

- Downpour: you get another boss item, and a whole extra floor worth of pickups in the mirror world, although this means you have to do the same level twice
- Mines: you can complete the Knife familiar for some extra damage, although this requires you to do the most tedious segment in the entire game
- Mausoleum: you get an entire extra item room/shop because Mausoleum 2 replaces Womb 1. Big upside but the entry cost is painful and you have to do both levels rather than just the second. Plus I find Mausoleum is the only one of the three that is actually significantly harder than what it replaces.

e:

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I don't know if I need to be better at knowing pickups, if I'm missing out on an ideal path to follow (e.g. should I not go to Downpour until Basement 2), or if I just need to be better at video games. Any tips on improvements I could make?
To be specific - yeah it's fine to enter Downpour on Basement 2 and Mines on Caves 2, you still get most of the benefit.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I'm kind of surprised that R Key still works with ? Card. It totally breaks the game. I'm on my 3rd reset and still have the R Key and a ? Card. I have Restock and Keeper's Head so it seems like with decent luck I could keep farming ? Cards from shops for quite awhile before breaking the streak.

Just wait until you get Wild Card with Diplopia!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I will go through downpour on just about every run, provided I have an extra key

Mines I will absolutely stay the gently caress away from unless I'm doing Mother because gently caress the mines.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks all for the tips. I think it was just a case of getting a good loadout + learning the floors better. Beat Mother for the first time with Isaac tonight (using a Chaos Card, so kinda cheap, but I'll take it!). The Mines suck, and the chase sequence is annoying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Got Marked again today and I am once again reminded how insane that item is if you've enabled Mouse control. I will just put down my controller and switch to keyboard for that, Ludevico and Epic Fetus specifically

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That item definitely feels like it was built for mouse controls. It's so unweldy with the keyboard or a gamepad.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Thanks all for the tips. I think it was just a case of getting a good loadout + learning the floors better. Beat Mother for the first time with Isaac tonight (using a Chaos Card, so kinda cheap, but I'll take it!). The Mines suck, and the chase sequence is annoying.

If you are on PC, I would just mod it out. The first handful of times is interesting, fun and slightly stressful. The next dozen as you struggle with some of the harder characters turns over to tedious and unfun. The Alt path is stressful enough imo.

If you aren't, well dang.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

If you are on PC, I would just mod it out.

I am. I didn't even think to look for a mod to remove that chase. Doing so immediately.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As soon as you hear the windup the spirit is committed to their charge and stepping even a single tile out of the way means you're safe. It's extremely easy to dodge once you know how it works as long as you're patient. That does make the segment even more boring though, you should really have to do it only once per character at most.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Yeah. The first few times, I was twitchy and nervous about it and died. But once I saw that she won't hit you during the slow walkup and dodging is dead simple, it became more tedious and not actually fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

As soon as you hear the windup the spirit is committed to their charge and stepping even a single tile out of the way means you're safe. It's extremely easy to dodge once you know how it works as long as you're patient. That does make the segment even more boring though, you should really have to do it only once per character at most.

Yeah, it's extraordinarily boring once you figure out how to reliably dodge her. Definitely not cheating to just mod it out.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Main reason is practice for Tainted Jacob.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I exclusively play t lost and always have to go to at least the second floor of each alt path because of the extra boss challenge room

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Whenever I start a new save on this game after a year or 2 of not playing, I always have the same sentiment; the early game has terrible balancing issues. Stuff on early floors takes way too many hits, spawns too much stuff on death, etc. After a while, I can usually get to the point where it doesn't really matter, and I blaze through early floors hitless in a couple of minutes, but trying to grind Greedier mode clears on every character is really re-echoing this problem with the game. Yeah, I understand that the mode is supposed to be more challenging than Greed, but it seems to be straight up impossible unless you keep restarting and get OP or find a break early on. There are too many factors that multiply the difficulty stacked on top of each other. The RNG is also too wide of a range. There is a pretty big difference between a wave being 4 flies or 6 troll bombs and a wave being 7 enemies that all take like 5+ shots to kill + 1 champion enemy that takes 10 shots and deals double damage. It feels like it gets to the point where if you had a cheat active that made it so all of your shots instantly hit the closest enemy to you, you still wouldn't be able to out-damage the spawn timer for new waves in some cases, and if you get bad RNG you just lose.

How has this not been balanced better after a decade of the game and several expansions? Maybe there should be 3 Greed modes, with the middle one being slightly easier and the Greediest mode being just for dumb challenge.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah greedier has been a trash pile since forever. And id argue normal greed suffers from the same mechanics in a different way, by which i mean in either mode theres never a reason to not do all waves in one run instead of using the button. In normal greed its cause its generally not a challenge so why wouldnt you, so its not that much of a glaring issue. But in greedier you HAVE to because you barely make enough to buy one item and a key (hell i cant remember if you can even afford both), and if youre behind the power curve the wave timer is so short youre basically gonna do it whether you like it or not. And the fact that you gotta and you still get jackshit makes greedier feel much worse.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

the "best" part of Greedier mode with an underpowered character is all the ways the game loves to just gently caress with you:

-Free item and/or locked item room? Abel or Dataminer or some other suckass item
-Shop sucks? No reroll machine
-Doing through the 11th wave to open the Devil Room? Red chests with nothing but troll bombs
-Skipping the Devil Room to get an Angel Room on the next floor instead? Two eternal chests that both have nothing in them, or you have no keys
-beating Greedier mode by the skin of your teeth? Donation machine jams after 2c

I've done a lot in this game but Greedier mode will probably be the very last thing I finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

bucksmash posted:

I've done a lot in this game but Greedier mode will probably be the very last thing I finish

It was the first thing I finished because of these reasons. I wanted that mode dead. Also I went a bit crazy when I realized Greedier wins with the tainted characters unlock new card variants. I'm a sucker for new consumables being added to this game.

...I'm trying to tell myself that since I got the tainted lost win on Greedier the rest of that character should be within the realm of possible. But :fireman: