Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Bobby Abreu to me is like the quintessential edge case guy. Was really good for a decently long time, never MVP or even really top-10 level guy, fell short of most of the relevant milestones, but accumulated enough good seasons for things like WAR to make it look like he might belong.

Players like Abreu make me wonder, should voters be using modified stats for guys that played in the steroid era? Of course he didn’t have the stats of guys like Bonds, but if we’re not going to vote Bonds because he juiced then why are we using his stats and accolades to determine how valuable Abreu was?

Presumably Abreu’s WAR and OPS+ would improve a bit if you remove all the extreme outliers from his era that were on steroids. Maybe not a lot but maybe enough to bring him beyond fringe territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Bullshit posted:

They're say Croooooz and throwing beers to him to chug.

It makes me so happy that this defense actually worked.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

It's a confluence of a lot of factors, some related to sports and others just kinda related to the general economic climate. Yeah sports teams are ridiculously overvalued at this point, but also the revenue streams going forward are kinda murky. Broadcast rights have always been the golden goose but RSN's are in complete retreat right now and the future of big fat TV deals is uncertain.

This might even undersell the issue a bit, at least for broadcast rights. We’ve all been waiting around for the RSN bubble to pop, but there’s a chance it might implode and leave collateral damage. Mobile posting at the moment, but this kinda sums it up- https://seekingalpha.com/news/3918394-sinclair-broadcasts-diamond-sports-networks-potential-sale-may-fail-report

tl;dr version- What happens when your rightsholders goes into bankruptcy? MLB/NBA/NHL were negotiating to buy the company which I assume went something like “give us all of your money or we detonate the bankruptcy bomb” but talks fell through last month. Imagine a year or two where Bally’s is still showing games, but not paying as the case works its way through the courts to some unknowable outcome. Basically, the bubble already burst and we are just waiting to see the impact. Good news though! There’s still a shitton of gambling money out there just looking for more ways to escape from the commercial breaks into the broadcast itself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BigDumper posted:

Players like Abreu make me wonder, should voters be using modified stats for guys that played in the steroid era? Of course he didn’t have the stats of guys like Bonds, but if we’re not going to vote Bonds because he juiced then why are we using his stats and accolades to determine how valuable Abreu was?

Presumably Abreu’s WAR and OPS+ would improve a bit if you remove all the extreme outliers from his era that were on steroids. Maybe not a lot but maybe enough to bring him beyond fringe territory.

Thing is, everyone was doing roids.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Buxton insurance

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pungry posted:

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1617656148148224001

Wonder what this means about Ohtani's future.

GOD loving DAMNIT

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Popete posted:

Thing is, everyone was doing roids.

True, but guys who are already off the ballot for steroids shouldn’t be used as a reference point that holds back guys on the ballot now. “Bobby Abreu was never a top 10 player” doesn’t mean anything if half the guys ahead of them were disqualified from the Hall for cheating.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1617710838512500737

lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

listen I think Aaron Hicks is probably really talented as well, but just not at being a great MLB player

also I like to read "everything's there" as in like "his locker is already all set up"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“Look, it costs more than you’d think to stitch new letters and numbers onto all those jerseys”

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

live with fruit posted:

Moreno is the king of big dumb contracts so Ohtani's staying in Anaheim.

Ohtani's gonna get whatever he wants on the open market

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Agreed the Cubs will pay him a fortune and it will be worth it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

Buxton insurance

100%

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

No Safe Word posted:

also I like to read "everything's there" as in like "his locker is already all set up"

i would like to think of it as him being anatomically all in place, no pesky missing organs or appendages

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So sorry, Angels fans. That statement sure reads like Moreno didn’t get the offer he wanted.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Ohtani's gonna get whatever he wants on the open market

Everyone has their limit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol poor angels fans, what a dicktease

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

between the Arte backstab and the Bees moving to upper-middle class suburbia, it hasn't been a good week

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

the Cubs...pay....fortune

lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The last couple of years have been a psyop to not arose suspicion that the Cubs are all in on Ohtani. I have it on good authority that the deal is all but complete, the jerseys are being manufactured as we speak.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/meredithshiner/status/1617734754945859584?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jesus

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yikes

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's a cool rear end coach

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Inspector_666 posted:

It makes me so happy that this defense actually worked.

Same. That lawyer is awesome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bobby abreau was also juicing .

The “steroid era” is nonsense the writers made up to justify their hatred of Bonds and in general a way for MLB to scapegoat players. I

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t we call the 70s the meth era. It’s nonsense.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I feel like I am getting old because now it’s like hey I actually remember that player, make that guys life and put him in the hall I don’t give a gently caress.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies local tv people would talk about a Abreau juicing routinely in barely coded language like “he really hit the gym over the off-season (ha ha ha )” or “abreau is looking much bigger due to some extraordinary work outs and a new diet (ha ha ha )”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess it comes down to whether you think the HoF should be a shrine to baseball glory or a museum of baseball history. I think it should be the latter but BBWAA obviously thinks it should be the former, even though that's stupid and baseball writers are all a bunch of miserable alcoholic cynics, all of whom like smallball because it makes them think that they might've made a roster if a couple of things in their lives had broken different. Put Pete Rose in the hall, put Tommy John in there, put Jose Canseco in there in a special moron's wing. I don't want to read paeans to Nap Lajoie I wanna read about how Jason Grimsley went full die hard to steal Albert Belle's corked bat from the ump's evidence locker.

Sportswriters who cover football or basketball aren't like this, they don't instantly become 1920s era reactionaries the second they see a guy put his hand under the ball bringing it up the court.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 24, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Lee Smith didn't go in on the writers ballot. These people have no business making these decisions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let the fans vote. lets get Bobson Dugnut in there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the end result is Barry bonds on not in the hall the method is wrong and needs to be changed. It’s that simple.

The other two major sports seems
to not gently caress this up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/1617900949204512768

Brad Ausmus led the league in IBBs issued when he managed the Tigers. He was not retained.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Setup, punchline. Effective comedy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jim Crane is an utter moron, how did they get so good without him loving it up?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I guess it was the cheating.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The answer to that question is running 3rd tier Mexican club soccer teams right now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

I guess it was the cheating.

drat, that must sting even worse since Cashman and Co. couldn't get it done when also cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now now, they could only cheat when they had a man in scoring position, though the scheme did work both at home and on the road.