Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Duke Pukem posted:

That look interesting, but you can only watch it for a week if you buy it?

I think that's because it'll probably go up for everybody at that point

fez_machine posted:

Poster for the TJPW PPV

Cool that there's a discount if you already subscribe to wrestle universe.

The best thing about the poster is that it's is very clearly grouped by relative position in the TJPW hierarchy. Main Event in the top two rows, midcard in the next two, and then the undercard.

This is good because it is clearly indicating that Miu is going to be pushed real hard this year.

THUMBS UP FOR ENDO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Taxman posted:

I think that's because it'll probably go up for everybody at that point

That's what NJPW does but a lot of Japanese PPVs are time limited and then disappear forever except if you buy a dvd. Nomads for example were two great shows that are no legally available on the internet to stream.

Luckily it'll probably turn up in your favorite place to see wrestling unbounded by such trivialities

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fez_machine posted:

This is good because it is clearly indicating that Miu is going to be pushed real hard this year.

That is good BUT

Haruna Neko is at the bottom! THis is an outrage and will not stand!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
No Yuki Arai, Juria Nagano or... that new girl that isn't Himawari?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Penguin Patrol posted:

No Yuki Arai, Juria Nagano or... that new girl that isn't Himawari?

I guess Arai and Juria are busy that day, Uehara is also an idol iirc?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So what would be recommended TJPW shows from the past couple of years to check out? Preferably with English commentary so I can hopefully get a bit more of a feel for the wrestlers and their personalities. I watched Summer Sun Princess over the weekend, and now I'm starting Wrestle Princess III.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Wrestle Princesses, the 1.4 shows, and basically any show with a Princess label are the traditional recs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

karmicknight posted:

The Wrestle Princesses, the 1.4 shows, and basically any show with a Princess label are the traditional recs.

OK cheers. That'll keep me occupied for a while.

Also holy crap it's kind of trippy to watch this very bright and sunny interview with Yuka Sakazaki, remembering that she also does ... this.

https://i.imgur.com/jWFKPUi.mp4

The duality of Yuka.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also holy crap it's kind of trippy to watch this very bright and sunny interview with Yuka Sakazaki, remembering that she also does ... this.

The duality of Yuka.

Eventually you'll start seeing the moment Murder Yuka emerges midmatch

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The duality of Yuka.

Murder Yuka is the greatest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Not only is Ryo Mizunami too cool, she also just had a god drat banger of a match with Suzume at Wrestle Princess III. God drat.

E: Why did Hyper Misao decide to use a bunch of balloons filled with confetti, a giant squeaky hammer and a bagful of plastic monster toys in her match? Is her gimmick some kind of comedy hardcore wrestler?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 24, 2023

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hyper Misao is a superhero defending love and peace across the galaxy

But really she's just Wile E. Coyote

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hyper Misao game plans every single match in an attempt to do as little work as possible with props and concepts and poo poo, but it blows up in her face like 99% of the time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, she's a superhero who cheats an awful lot. Street wrestling brought her into the business (I believe she walked past some and thought "what's that I want to do it) and that has a lot of foreign objects. She bicycles into people a lot too.
Another thing she does a lot is immediately grab a mic and say "this is actually a [some silly stipulation] match" and I have to go searching to find out it's a trivia contest now as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I just saw a bicycle spot.

This match sure went in a direction I wasn't expecting. And holy poo poo it would suck to take bumps on those hard rubbery plastic dinosaur toys.

E: Oh no, Max the Impaler, leave Pom alone!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 24, 2023

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Misao also whips out a handgun on occasion in mid-match, so there's that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: Oh no, Max the Impaler, leave Pom alone!

Outlook not good

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

(still watching Wrestle Princess III)

Good god this Maki Itoh/Miyu Yamashita - Riho/Hikari Noa match was insane. It's so cool to see Riho really cut loose and it's also been very nice to see how much Maki Itoh has developed in under two years.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Here's a few recommendations that might not show up as TJPW involved shows

There's a lot of TJPW in the Abema Towers Rojo
https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/videos/sZmHM2pPGn92sW6h8L9e8A (English commentary)

Maki Itoh teams with Minoru Suzuki at DDT Nevermind 2021
https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/videos/8nERBsNp4oKszfW2qkHzri at ~1 hour 40 minutes in

The TJPW segment in the DDT Tokyo Dome Rojo
https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/videos/5ULbHg2Tzj4HVqkejqEedt at 22 minutes

Shunma vs. Hyper Misao (It's built a little off the Tokyo Dome Rojo so watch that before hand)
https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/videos/jbCqYHCjTWTuG7pRZovZXT

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

You should check out the complete run of "That's JPW".

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: Why did Hyper Misao decide to use a bunch of balloons filled with confetti, a giant squeaky hammer and a bagful of plastic monster toys in her match? Is her gimmick some kind of comedy hardcore wrestler?

To be fair, the monster toys have become a staple of Hyper Misao and Shoko Nakajima's annual 1/4 matches over the past few years and it was kaiju lover Shoko who started it :colbert:

Pami's (Haipaa Misao, get it?) overall story arc is, without a shred of irony, my favorite in all of professional wrestling. After graduating college she was mostly a shut-in with severe social anxiety and it was happening upon a DDT street wrestling event featuring Jun Kasai that inspired her to start wrestling - but she insisted on doing it in a mask. That plus, well, not being particularly good at the wrestling part led her to a chickenshit heel-who-may-or-may-not-know-she's-a-heel superhero character.

With time and persistence, though, she got confident enough to challenge Jun Kasai - whose wrestling literally saved her life; she has been fairly candid about attempting suicide before she started wrestling - to a match at the May 3, 2018 TJPW Korakuen show. The stipulation for this match was that they had to eat an entire bag of chocolate cream puffs before their pins would count, because that was most of what she ate when she was a shut-in. It's a very good, emotional match, and it represented a real turning point in Hyper Misao's career, where she really started stepping up her game as a wrestler.

I won't go into too many details beyond that, but since then, she's tried and failed to form a tag team with Rika Tatsumi; sacrificed her mask and pledged loyalty to the villainous Sakisama and NEO Biishiki-gun (February 23, 2019); had a run with the tag belts with the same and revealed that she's actually pretty good at wrestling now; had her soul saved and reclaimed her mask; lost her name in a stipulation match against Shoko Nakajima; forced Nakajima to become a superhero like her; spontaneously announced her retirement, had an impromptu but emotional going-away match, then announced her engagement, then announced that the retirement part was a lie but the engagement part was not; gotten legally separated from her actual age; and formed a named tag team with Nakajima even though the two of them still have annual wacky grudge matches every January 4.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 25, 2023

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Hyper Misao vs. Arisu Endo from "That's JPW" was probably my favorite match from that whole run and it really illustrated Misao's grasp of telling a pro-wrestling story. She managed to inject a lot of tension and energy into the format. Her "Random Switching Rules" match with Saki Akai at Wrestle Princess was also some genius brain stuff. I love TJPW but a lot of the matches have a very obvious winner and loser and Misao's antics are great at raising her up against a superior opponent through trickery or, when she screws up and is undone by her own schemes, making you think the underdog is going over.

It's a quite old match but another one of hers I loved was vs. Miyu Yamashita from the 2016 Princess Cup tournament. An early showing of her getting serious and working her rear end off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The duality of Yuka.

Doing stuff like this IS what makes her bright and sunny the rest of the time!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Johnny Landmine posted:

To be fair, the monster toys have become a staple of Hyper Misao and Shoko Nakajima's annual 1/4 matches over the past few years and it was kaiju lover Shoko who started it :colbert:

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to poo poo on Hyper Misao and the tone of my post was not what I intended. Rather than "why did Hyper Misao decide to use" I meant "why is Hyper Misao using", because I genuinely don't know anything about her other than "she used a small garbage can on Aja Kong in that one match".

That's definitely a very inspirational and cool backstory, thanks for sharing it. And those storylines sound wild as hell, is TJPW always like that or is it just Hyper Misao?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to poo poo on Hyper Misao and the tone of my post was not what I intended. Rather than "why did Hyper Misao decide to use" I meant "why is Hyper Misao using", because I genuinely don't know anything about her other than "she used a small garbage can on Aja Kong in that one match".

That's definitely a very inspirational and cool backstory, thanks for sharing it. And those storylines sound wild as hell, is TJPW always like that or is it just Hyper Misao?

Someone mentioned to NeoJoshiSizzle before, they're probably the best resource for roster storylines of the past (not 100% accurate though so take a pinch of salt with them). The Hyper Misao vid is very good as is the Maki Itoh one.
https://www.youtube.com/@neojoshizzle

If you like Misao's backstory check out these three vids about Lulu Pencil, a star who burned fast and bright and then disappeared from our lives (a very common story with Joshi in general)

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HveLrmFkhIA

Part 1a:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HkhHFQLDXw

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v70YCnYmpVU

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 25, 2023

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly, most of the non-Hyper Misao storylines are on a surprisingly down-to-earth, realistic "we are competitors in the same sport and we're all striving to do our best" tip. Well, surprising for a promotion whose most prominent heels are a rotating squad of aristocrats who all bear striking but mostly coincidental resemblances to, say, Saki Akai, Mei Suruga, etc. who only visit from France every now and then to terrorize the tag scene

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sounds like Takumi Iroha will be back for Marvelous 10th March

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1618217129706225666

Babe wake up its time for Miyu to murder another rookie

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Miyu is famously bad in tournaments :thunk:

Al least for me the only first round matches that aren't gimmes are Nao/Endo and Misao/Miu, but even those are stretches

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Part of me had assumed Miyu was finally gonna get it together to win the tenth anniversary Princess Cup this year but the fact that this tournament is called Princess of the Decade has me sweating. Is she gonna do it folks

e: Though the two-count fall rule has me expecting fewer sure things than I would otherwise tbh. Last time they had a two-count tournament Yuki Aino pinned Miyu Yamashita clean

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

gona lol when mahiro knocks out maki itoh

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Johnny Landmine posted:

Pami's (Haipaa Misao, get it?) overall story arc is, without a shred of irony, my favorite in all of professional wrestling. After graduating college she was mostly a shut-in with severe social anxiety and it was happening upon a DDT street wrestling event featuring Jun Kasai that inspired her to start wrestling - but she insisted on doing it in a mask. That plus, well, not being particularly good at the wrestling part led her to a chickenshit heel-who-may-or-may-not-know-she's-a-heel superhero character.

With time and persistence, though, she got confident enough to challenge Jun Kasai - whose wrestling literally saved her life; she has been fairly candid about attempting suicide before she started wrestling - to a match at the May 3, 2018 TJPW Korakuen show. The stipulation for this match was that they had to eat an entire bag of chocolate cream puffs before their pins would count, because that was most of what she ate when she was a shut-in. It's a very good, emotional match, and it represented a real turning point in Hyper Misao's career, where she really started stepping up her game as a wrestler.

I won't go into too many details beyond that, but since then, she's tried and failed to form a tag team with Rika Tatsumi; sacrificed her mask and pledged loyalty to the villainous Sakisama and NEO Biishiki-gun (February 23, 2019); had a run with the tag belts with the same and revealed that she's actually pretty good at wrestling now; had her soul saved and reclaimed her mask; lost her name in a stipulation match against Shoko Nakajima; forced Nakajima to become a superhero like her; spontaneously announced her retirement, had an impromptu but emotional going-away match, then announced her engagement, then announced that the retirement part was a lie but the engagement part was not; gotten legally separated from her actual age; and formed a named tag team with Nakajima even though the two of them still have annual wacky grudge matches every January 4.

And the best version of Misao teaming with Shoko was when Shoko lost a match and had to become superhero Shin Ultra Shoko for a month.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Johnny Landmine posted:

To be fair, the monster toys have become a staple of Hyper Misao and Shoko Nakajima's annual 1/4 matches over the past few years and it was kaiju Shoko who started it :colbert:

Fixed it for you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

gona lol when mahiro knocks out maki itoh

Maki Itoh will beat Mahiro and then Miyu and then win the cup and then look into the camera and tell me I can be a success in life too

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Itoh and Mahiro are going to go into time and Mahiro is going to apologize and I'm doing so inadvertently throw paper resulting in her beating Itoh who threw rock.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maki Itoh owns, but I'm sure that's not news to anyone here.

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1618238282827182081

Johnny Landmine posted:

heels are a rotating squad of aristocrats who all bear striking but mostly coincidental resemblances to, say, Saki Akai, Mei Suruga, etc. who only visit from France every now and then to terrorize the tag scene

God drat I love pro wrestling.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 25, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Stardom is tite.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Apparently Women of Wrestling has some connections. My mom just texted to tell me they were on Let's Make a Deal today, with two of the wrestlers and a prize of VIP tickets to one of the shows.

Edit: Mom sent a clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHI84jnjxT0

Maigius fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 25, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

yea ok posted:

Stardom is tite.

:hai:

The Triangle Derby has been excellent. I just wish they would put the points rankings up at the end of each match like they did for the 5*GP and the Tag League. I have to keep track myself and I sometimes forget and I'm not sure who is in the lead now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

Maki Itoh will beat Mahiro and then Miyu and then win the cup and then look into the camera and tell me I can be a success in life too

we're successful in life because we're here and that's all that matters.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Maki Itoh owns, but I'm sure that's not news to anyone here.

she's alright i guess