Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I was going to comment "just Columbo then" but Columbo is genuinely smart.

Having said that, Gumshoe is smart enough to pretend to be dumber than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You call yourself a Mafia boss? He’s just one lousy cop and you let him push you around! Your godfather would be ashamed!

Seriously, glad Gumshoe was there to help. We still need lots of answers. Hope we get them in court.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Gumshoe with the last secon save! :suspense:

And dude must really be tougher than he looks since he can make 4 mafia hitmen back down all by himself. I guess he's like Phoenix in that sense, look like a dum dum and turn into Dirty Harry when the stakes are high

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

argosaxelcaos posted:

Gumshoe with the last secon save! :suspense:

And dude must really be tougher than he looks since he can make 4 mafia hitmen back down all by himself. I guess he's like Phoenix in that sense, look like a dum dum and turn into Dirty Harry when the stakes are high

I assume that it's not just Gumshoe there and that there are more police in the area. There's often some implication in his dialogue (one of the first investigation scenes in the law office, for instance) that there's more than one person checking out the scene and Gumshoe is the point person that we're interacting with while he leads a team of investigators.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keep in mind the reason we have the single judge and he has like three animations total is because there literally wasn't any more space left on the original GBA cart.

TWO distinct "generic policemen" sprites? Are we made of memory here?

So there's plenty of policeman around, just out of screen, laughing too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Gumshoe owns :allears:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Omobono posted:

Keep in mind the reason we have the single judge and he has like three animations total is because there literally wasn't any more space left on the original GBA cart.

TWO distinct "generic policemen" sprites? Are we made of memory here?

So there's plenty of policeman around, just out of screen, laughing too.

You have no idea how happy I would be if the "generic policeman" sprite was just a recolor of the mafia sprites.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Personally I always read this scene as the mafia just not willing to murder a cop. Disappearing a lawyer (whose only friend is a huge loser, mind) is one thing, but there's gonna be a whole lot of scrutiny if you kill a cop.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Personally I always read this scene as the mafia just not willing to murder a cop. Disappearing a lawyer (whose only friend is a huge loser, mind) is one thing, but there's gonna be a whole lot of scrutiny if you kill a cop.

that's a mean thing to call Maya :(

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fine, fine, only alive friend. I figured Maya didn't count because she was also about to be a corpse

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm wondering if her ties being called the mafia was a localization thing because I get yakuza vibes from those goons.
Then again they're pretty much one in the same I think.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

It's absolutely a localization thing. There's a reason we say these games take place in "Japanifornia".

Prowler
May 24, 2004

MR. J posted:

I'm wondering if her ties being called the mafia was a localization thing because I get yakuza vibes from those goons.
Then again they're pretty much one in the same I think.

Perhaps? In Persona 5, there's a guy who the story refers to as part of the mafia, not Yakuza, and it seems like that's something that series wouldn't get wrong in translation.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Arzaac posted:

All Maya would have to do is summon boobs Mia and everything would be okay. They'd probably turn themselves in, really.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Prowler posted:

Perhaps? In Persona 5, there's a guy who the story refers to as part of the mafia, not Yakuza, and it seems like that's something that series wouldn't get wrong in translation.

Nah, that guy is decidedly not affiliated with the Yakuza, which is mentioned elsewhere in the game. The mafia/Yakuza distinction also appears in the Japanese script, AFAIK, where "mafia" is a catch-all term for organized crime while Yakuza is, well, a specific type of crime syndicate.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nah, that guy is decidedly not affiliated with the Yakuza, which is mentioned elsewhere in the game. The mafia/Yakuza distinction also appears in the Japanese script, AFAIK, where "mafia" is a catch-all term for organized crime while Yakuza is, well, a specific type of crime syndicate.

I worded my greater point poorly, but it was that it wasn't the first time I'd seen the term in a decidedly Japanese game to mean not!Yakuza, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility despite all the jelly donuts and hamburgers here.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

I assume that it's not just Gumshoe there and that there are more police in the area. There's often some implication in his dialogue (one of the first investigation scenes in the law office, for instance) that there's more than one person checking out the scene and Gumshoe is the point person that we're interacting with while he leads a team of investigators.

This is absolutely what occurred to me as I played for the first time, yeah. Extremely messy situation to dispose of three dead bodies, one of which is a cop, in a location that was just proven to be a crime scene for a previous murder and is probably going to be under scrutiny very soon. Additionally, gumshoe has a gun. Even if you were to take him out, there's a non-zero chance he's going to shoot Dee right in the tits before he goes down.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Prowler posted:

That guy absolutely was a mafioso, not a Yakuza member. Those goons last update were far more Yakuza than mafia, they don't really have the feeling of a mafia "picciotto" (Sicilian for goon).

There's not much difference, organized crime is organized crime, but there is one.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Omobono posted:

That guy absolutely was a mafioso, not a Yakuza member. Those goons last update were far more Yakuza than mafia, they don't really have the feeling of a mafia "picciotto" (Sicilian for goon).

There's not much difference, organized crime is organized crime, but there is one.
It's basically the difference between cowboy and samurai/ronin. On paper they're much the same thing and can be used to fill the same roles, but they have distinct styles.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 68: Episode 3, Final Day, Trial: Willful Denial

It's time.

Okay, not quite dawn. Why does court start so late here? Anyway we're back at Courtroom No. 4 to nail a mafia queen.

Sound: Gallery

Are those two seats down below the judge's bench? I wonder what those are for.

Sound: Gavel

Music: Trial

Everyone's ready, let's go!

Today will be the final day of this trial.

What angle is Edgeworth going to play today?

Very well, Mr. Edgeworth. Your opening statement.

He claims that the scene of the crime was, in fact, Studio Two.

Today, I will call on people present in the Studio Two trailer that day.

From their testimonies, the truth will become clear.

You may call your first witness, Mr. Edgeworth.

Nice, straight to the main event! Any guesses at how many contradictions we'll have to find to win the case today?

Ms. Dee Vasquez is a producer who was present in the Studio Two trailer that day.

No issues with smoking in the courtroom I guess.

Will the witness state her name and occupation?

As everyone here knows, yes?
Sound: Realization

...?

I dislike needless banter.

Sound: Whoops

Poor Edgeworth. I think his only cooperative witness all game has been Gumshoe.

V-very well, Ms. Vasquez.

Music: Silence

We have Maya with us today. Will we actually win this case on our own? Or will Mia have a dramatic appearance later on again?

R-right!

...Focus, Phoenix.

Sound: Testimony 2

Music: Questioning - Moderato

I was fatigued, so I had Sal take me.

At 2:30, we took a 15-minute break in the meeting.

That's all.

Not a lot to work with there. I guess her strategy is just to ignore everything that happened yesterday and pretend the crime scene is still Studio One.

Hmm...

Whoa, the judge is getting involved early.

You were "fatigued" so you had Sal "take" you...?

The van.

Hmm?

There's a van at Studio Two.

Sound: Select Jingle

Good news - I think I've figured out how they transported Hammer over to Studio One. Too bad we never got to take a look inside that van earlier.

I... I see!

Sound: Testimony 2

Music: Questioning - Moderato

Like before, I'll start with the "end of testimony" dialogue.

I kind of wish she'd said a little more...

It's hard. I think she's pretty used to being the boss.

I entered the trailer, oh, a little before noon.

By yourself?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

The meeting began at 12:00 sharp. It ended at 4:00.

Did no one leave during the meeting?

No one.

Ms. Vasquez is going to be a bit tougher to rattle than most of the witnesses we've faced so far.

Sound: Desk Slam

The witness did not come here to engage in idle conversation!

The same could be said to you, Mr. Edgeworth.

Nevah!

Mmph!
Sound: Whoops

There was to be a rehearsal afterwards, so we went to Studio One.

And when exactly was that?

I've forgotten.

No.

Dee-va is the perfect client for an attorney. Short answers, no extra information. We're going to need to find some details here soon.

I would think it was between those times.

I was fatigued, so I had Sal take me.

Hold on!

It means what I just said.

(Oh... oh, right.)

At 2:30, we took a 15-minute break in the meeting.

And what were you doing during that time...?

Don't hit your desk.

It irritates me.

Edgeworth immediately hits his desk.

Yeah! Mr. Wright...!

Sound: Light Bulb

Sal and I ate t-bone steaks on the table in front of the trailer.

Do you have someone who can verify this?

Sal.

One person is enough.

(If she committed murder during that break...)

(She wouldn't have had time to eat a t-bone steak!)

Do we have that? We saw the plates at Studio Two were empty (no bones left behind), which I guess lines up with the steaks being disposed of rather than eaten, but we didn't capture that in the court record at all.

Well, that's the end of the cross somehow. I thought she said a lot more in the original testimony, but we only get those six lines for the cross. I think I figured this one out later, but during the recording I didn't really have a confident idea, so here's our current Court Record for you to peruse:

Attorney's Badge - No one would believe I was a defense attorney if I didn't carry this.

Jack's Autopsy Report - Time of death: 10/15 at 2:30 PM. Cause: Pierced through the chest by a spear.

Powers's(?) Photo - He's dragging one leg. [Oct 15, 2:00 PM, Photo #2]

Guidemap - Guidemap to Global Studios.

Samurai Spear - The murder weapon. A break in the shaft has been mended with duct tape.

Mr. Monkey's Head - Blocked the path to the scene of the crime between 2:15 PM and 4:00 PM.

"Path to Glory" - Contains photos of every victory scene in every battle the Steel Samurai has won.

Cody's Camera - A new digital camera. Cody always carries it, though he's still learning how to use it.

Five-Year-Old Photo - Shows an accident involving Jack Hammer.

Sleeping Pill Bottle - Found on a table in the employee area. Bears Jack Hammer's fingerprints.

Steak Plate - Found in the employee area. On it are tracing of sleeping pills and a large bone.

Van - Manella used this van to drive Vasquez to Studio One after the meeting in the trailer.

Twelve pieces of evidence, with six lines of testimony. Pressing seemed to indicate that the last statement is the one with the contradiction, but what should we present there?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
2 seats below the judge are probably for court clerk and reporter. That's my guess anyway.

It seems to be a common media stereotype for mob figures to smoke excessively. Disliking pontificating other than their own is common, too.

I thought the collapsed statue was blocking the path. I guess not for vehicles, just pedestrians.

We'll stop banging on the desk when you stop smoking, lady.

How do we know Vasquez committed the murder personally? I guess those goons of hers are just never going to come up again? Not that it matters, I guess.

As for how to proceed... try the steak plate. One plate, yet she said both she and Sal ate steaks. Where's the other plate? That's my first thought.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

achtungnight posted:

I thought the collapsed statue was blocking the path. I guess not for vehicles, just pedestrians.

The monkey head was cleared out of the way by then.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

achtungnight posted:

As for how to proceed... try the steak plate. One plate, yet she said both she and Sal ate steaks. Where's the other plate? That's my first thought.

That's WP's plate from the employee area, not either of the two plates from Studio 2. There's only one plate because it's the one that was relevant as evidence because it was drugged.

whitehelm posted:

The monkey head was cleared out of the way by then.

The monkey head wasn't cleared until after the first day of investigation, long after the murder happened.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sal said they didn't eat lunch, but the court record doesn't seem to reflect that. I guess you're supposed to present Will's plate to point that out?

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Truthkeeper posted:

The monkey head wasn't cleared until after the first day of investigation, long after the murder happened.

No, the Monkey Head was moved after 4:00. We just didn't have access to Studio 2 until then because it hadn't been relevant.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
No idea, try the Steak Plate

I mean 15 minutes is enough to eat the steak, but maybe it''ll do something? I'm at a loss here.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sal said they didn't eat lunch, but the court record doesn't seem to reflect that. I guess you're supposed to present Will's plate to point that out?

Oh poo poo, that's true!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Didn't Feenie already resolve that lie?

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

FoolyCharged posted:

Didn't Feenie already resolve that lie?

Doesn't mean the witness respects him enough to bother trotting out a new one. From a gameplay perspective it's also a good way to ease players into the day's testimony and engage them with the case again.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 69: Episode 3, Final Day, Trial: Straight to the Point

Nothing really fits, so we're going for an associated plates theory here. Use one piece of evidence to bring up something else that we don't directly have captured - namely, the empty plates at Studio Two!

Sound: Objection

I haven't shown off the full objection animation in awhile, so there you go.

You claim you ate a t-bone steak!

But I say you did not!

Look at this.

It's... a plate?

As you can see, a large bone has been left behind.

Oh, you're going to regret that one, Edgeworth.

Remember, if you will...

Ms. Vasquez and Mr. Manella ate at a table outside the trailer.

This whole sequence is kind of weird. If the lack of bones on these plates was supposed to prove something, why not have it in the Court Record directly? What is Phoenix even showing right now?

Music: Objection!

Sound: Drama Pound

Sound: Stab

Ms. Vasquez?

Tell me, how can a person eat a t-bone steak...

and not leave the bone?

Phoenix already told us where he was going with this line of thought during the press earlier, but there's no penalty here so let's explore the comedic options.

You ate the bone, too!

I mean, I love steak, but even I don't eat the bone!
Sound: Whack

Mr. Wright!

Sure, this is fun, keep going!

Elementary! You were eating a boneless steak!

What would that prove?

Nick!

Remember her testimony?

Here's a weird/typo bug. It flashes back to Ms. Vasquez, and the dialogue box has her name, but it appears to really be Maya's line.

She said "bone"!

Yeah, sure, Nick.

Okay, let's get back on track here.

You took your steak and threw it somewhere... like that incinerator!

Sound: Stab

Got her again!

I... I see!

Yes, I'm still feeling whimsical today and picking the joke option.

She was picking on Mr. Manella!

Mr. Wright...

Haha, yes, just a joke, right, where was I?

Oh...?

I would prefer it if you remained serious!

quote:

Playing it straight just skips the previous dialogue and proceeds directly into the reveal below.

Ms. Vasquez has that nonchalant lean going on.

Order!

Yes, Your Honor!

Sound: Pong

Sound: Pong

And then you did it.

That's... certainly direct?

Sound: Stab 2

We provoke another reaction out of Ms. Vasquez. Maybe this day of trial won't last as long as I thought.

Sound: Gavel x 3

M-Mr. Wright!

What kind of stunt are you trying to pull, Wright!?

Let him claim what he wants...

Yes.

Fascinating!

Very well.

(Any day, Vasquez!)

Music: Telling the Truth

I don't like where this is going.

Yes...?

A penalty on this one! I only took a quick look the first time, and couldn't figure this one out. It seems like one of those don't-matter choices where every option has the same result, yet there's a penalty involved here, so there must be a right answer. Which option should we choose?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

DKII posted:

A penalty on this one! I only took a quick look the first time, and couldn't figure this one out. It seems like one of those don't-matter choices where every option has the same result, yet there's a penalty involved here, so there must be a right answer. Which option should we choose?

That link goes directly to the poll results.

Also, where is the Attorney Badge option??

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

wologar posted:

That link goes directly to the poll results.

Also, where is the Attorney Badge option??

For some reason they auto-close if I create them too far in advance. And then sometimes I forget to re-open them. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The spear is historically often the preferred weapon of women, including petite ones. And maybe she broke it to wield it more easily. I think she could wield it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Why is that the penalty question? Two of those things are what Phoenix thinks, and the third is a question. Not one of those options are false, definitively!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
She's right. There's no way she could have used the spear to kill the Steel Samurai.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean, maybe they ate the steak and then just threw the bones into the incinerator, Nick. Or a trashcan.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GilliamYaeger posted:

She's right. There's no way she could have used the spear to kill the Steel Samurai.
Yeah. I think what actually happened is fairly clear, but that might be my experience from previous LP's butting in.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. I think what actually happened is fairly clear, but that might be my experience from previous LP's butting in.
Since it'd been years since I last played this game I'd completely forgotten everything about the case when this LP started it (I've replayed the game since so I've lost that ignorance, alas), but from the moment I saw that flashback scene with the spear being broken during practice I knew there was no way it was the murder weapon. Especially with the stuff we know now.

There's no way that spear could have gone through the Steel Samurai costume with only duct tape holding the spearhead to the shaft.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm pretty sure you could kill a man if he was charging at you and you just held it up. Especially braced against a stair or something. I'm also pretty sure that isn't what happened though. Surely the more compelling counter argument would have been "how would I have gotten it off him in the first place"? Given he, you know, arrived with it, per the cameras.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
This part of the case always seemed a bit strange to me. Why couldn't they have just eaten the steaks and tossed the bones in the incinerator? There being nothing on the plates doesn't actually prove anything.

And whether or not she could've wielded the spear, the duct tape wouldn't have held up well enough to kill a man with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm pretty sure you could kill a man if he was charging at you and you just held it up. Especially braced against a stair or something. I'm also pretty sure that isn't what happened though. Surely the more compelling counter argument would have been "how would I have gotten it off him in the first place"? Given he, you know, arrived with it, per the cameras.
Only if it hadn't been broken earlier in the day during practice. Even if he was charging and you braced it against a stair, that spearpoint would have bent the duct tape holding it together before it pierced through that thick padded tokusatsu suit, let alone human flesh.