Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Snowy posted:

I was so disappointed with Wolverine Blues when it came out that I never listened to it a second time. I had been interning at/stealing from Earache NY and got so psyched they had something new getting released but I probably just wanted more Left Hand Path.

Time for a relisten I guess, I’m much less of a harsh judge these days

In the metal circles I was in, everyone hated Wolverine Blues and it was just accepted that Left Hand Path and Clandestine were the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: I'm sorry to say that your metal circles were composed of tasteless philistines.

Snowy posted:

I was so disappointed with Wolverine Blues when it came out that I never listened to it a second time. I had been interning at/stealing from Earache NY and got so psyched they had something new getting released but I probably just wanted more Left Hand Path.

Time for a relisten I guess, I’m much less of a harsh judge these days

Wolverine Blues rules so hard, you should give it a spin.

It's the rowdiest death'n'roll album ever.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 23, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Death ‘n’ roll largely sucks but Wolverine Blues is really good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Local DM band gets some love.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Late to the party here, but holy poo poo these guys fuckin get it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

I've been off death metal for a little bit, but this kicks rear end!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

E: I'm sorry to say that your metal circles were composed of tasteless philistines.

Wolverine Blues rules so hard, you should give it a spin.

It's the rowdiest original death'n'roll album ever.

Just a quick fix there :P

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, yeah :)

Also, the drums are so drat good. Single kick drum, no problem.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Wolverine blues is definitely divisive and I feel like it's had a modern reappraisal. I used to hear people compare it derisively to pantera pretty often.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, yeah :)

Also, the drums are so drat good. Single kick drum, no problem.

Btw reportedly, so many metalheads despise the creative liberty Entombed had throughout their career. The notion that "left hand path and clandestine are the only real entombed albums" is far too common, I've heard it so many times and I'm like... wow. Metalheads can be complete bozos at times.

I am a fan of the band and I admit I like every album by entombed, even "To ride..." I just love a band who are creative and not just a fan service. I mean, I cant be the only one who enjoyed the Ten Amendments album. OK it might be musically sub par to some of their other work but drat. Its atmosphere and presentation is just phenomenal. Its one of my favorited by entombed because of the gritty lyrics and the hellish ambience.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wolverine Blues kicks rear end.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

New stuff Friday:
Katatonia, gothic prog
I'm enjoying the new Katatonia album. It feels like a continuation of Night Is the New Day.
The early track releases and first album listen didn't sit well and I was initially disappointed. Gave it another go and it clicked becoming something I look forward to listening to on repeat.

They're my favorite band so I'm a bit biased, but appreciate that they've kept at it all these years to make the music they want to make. If anything, it's a really good production and Jonas's vocals keep getting better as the years go on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I think the self-production on the last two albums has been great, and I'm really glad to have Jens Bogren out of the way, but I do think he did a better job producing Jonas's vocals than the band has been able to capture independently on the past couple of releases. It's not just lacking dynamics in some key spots, but it's EQed wrong to the point of sounding scratchy in places.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Left Hand Path still hasn't left the record player. It's just so loving good. They do a lot of cool melo moments throughout and the vocals are great. Of all the older stuff I've been exposed to lately, this one might be inching it's way to the top for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

Btw reportedly, so many metalheads despise the creative liberty Entombed had throughout their career. The notion that "left hand path and clandestine are the only real entombed albums" is far too common, I've heard it so many times and I'm like... wow. Metalheads can be complete bozos at times.

Trve kvlt fans would tell you only the Nihilist demos are real.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you could just run a sine wave thru an HM-2 and call it an album and id listen to it tbh

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kvlt! posted:

you could just run a sine wave thru an HM-2 and call it an album and id listen to it tbh

mildly tempted to try this now

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's basically what Mick Gordon did for the doom2016 soundtrack

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

mildly tempted to try this now

People have spent more to get a square wave I guess.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

xzzy posted:

People have spent more to get a square wave I guess.

already have the hm2, I'd mostly be curious (knowing little about practical synthesis but enough to know a sine wave is the most basic/standard waveform that follows a sine equation) if you can hear the hm2's sonic quirks through a synth

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Welp

https://consequence.net/2023/01/pantera-removed-german-festivals/

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I saw Entombed AD a couple of years ago and it was honestly one of the most boring sets I've ever seen. The only good song they played was Left Hand Path and it loving ripped. Everything else was a snooze.

That's my Entombed story.

New Katatonia is weird and I don't know if I like it yet, but I've said that about literally every album they've put out since "Night is the New Day" so I figure after a couple listens it'll click.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

already have the hm2, I'd mostly be curious (knowing little about practical synthesis but enough to know a sine wave is the most basic/standard waveform that follows a sine equation) if you can hear the hm2's sonic quirks through a synth

I don't have an hm2 so can't comment on that pedal in specific but I have put lots of basic waves through lots of distortions. You can definitely see unique behaviors of a filter as you crank up the saturation in an oscilloscope.. the curve of the sine wave gets flatter as it clips and eventually looks like a square wave. But there will be a "wiggle" in the line where it shifts from the slope to the clipped portion and I assume the specifics of that artifact will be unique to the design of the circuit.

Can a human hear it? I have my doubts but my ears are garbage so maybe a trained sound engineer could tell the difference.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Entombed AD were cool but I don't remember much. Just banging my head till it hurt. That was back in 2016. My buddy who was loading the show got me the setlist which was written on a paper towel from the washroom. :lol: Need to get that in a frame.

Enjoy my iPhone 5 blurry poo poo photos.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

xzzy posted:

I don't have an hm2 so can't comment on that pedal in specific but I have put lots of basic waves through lots of distortions. You can definitely see unique behaviors of a filter as you crank up the saturation in an oscilloscope.. the curve of the sine wave gets flatter as it clips and eventually looks like a square wave. But there will be a "wiggle" in the line where it shifts from the slope to the clipped portion and I assume the specifics of that artifact will be unique to the design of the circuit.

Can a human hear it? I have my doubts but my ears are garbage so maybe a trained sound engineer could tell the difference.

interesting. There's a blog post by a person that analyzed the HM2 and ran a 200hz sine wave through it while posting various curves, which I remember because I came across it trying to get HM2-esque sounds out of an AxeFX FM3. You get pretty close with an SD1 model as a boost and a comically exaggerated parametric EQ with spikes at 88hz and 1080hz, but the real deal definitely has a different character. I'll take your word for it that it wouldn't be as obvious with a sine wave.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 24, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I'm far from an expert and every effect will be different because they're all designed to mangle waves in new and unique ways.

But generally speaking, saturating a pure sine wave is not super interesting. If you get something to add harmonics or otherwise mangle the signal it starts to get cool (and thus heavy metal was born).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phil.txt

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

The only good song they played was Left Hand Path and it loving ripped. Everything else was a snooze.

This is my opinion of Entombed's entire disocgraphy, honestly.

Apparently Nathan Gray from boysetsfire and Iron Roses complained to the festival until they pulled Pantera. They makes cool music and they also saved an entire festival from having to endure Pantera's music. What a hero.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 25, 2023

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Late to the party here, but holy poo poo these guys fuckin get it.

:hmmyes:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dimebags Brain posted:

Apparently Nathan Gray from boysetsfire and Iron Roses complained to the festival until they pulled Pantera. They makes cool music and they also saved an entire festival from having to endure Pantera's music. What a hero.

you can't possibly think iron roses or boysetsfire is making good music can you

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
antimatter is stupid and dumb for the attoseconds that it exists, but it's cool when it annihilates matter

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Antimatter is a good band, though

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2k4duorvZ5lTq33ljpT0sc?si=860afb622f8c42b6

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

to add a bit more content—

these guys definitely have riffs, but those vocals are loving killer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The local dm band Vermillion just posted they made these slick hats. Gunna meet the dude at a Dennys soon.

Their cd lives in my car's cd player cuz it's the only cd player I own.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 26, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Obituary just announced their NA tour supporting their new album (which is GOOD). They're touring with Immolation, Blood Incantation, and Ingrown. They're skipping WI for some reason, so I'll be seeing them in Chicago. (The Metro is the best)

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Metal bands hate Detroit.

Makes me sad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Malaria posted:

Metal bands hate Detroit.

Makes me sad.

its never recoverd from 08 and harpos dying sealed the deal

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Laughs in tours never going south of atlanta

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, midwest seems pretty barren on that list. Detroit is 4-5 hrs from Chicago and Toronto which sucks. They have the 8th open between both of those shows so maybe they'll add it, since it's right on the way to Chicago from Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have not bothered with a new Obituary album in the year 2023 but they are fun live and Immolation/Blood Incantation is a spectacular bill on its own.