Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It gets really bad in dark age when it swaps between being able to do hand stands and wrestling moves in a pack hunter and it taking a week to just reprogram a nuero helmet to just be able to move a (armed 20 year old) museum piece centurion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know I remember one scene of them bugging out from a bad raid or something and using hands to grab some blown off limbs as quick salvage),

That might have been Double Blind - there's a scene where one of the stranded mercs yanks the arm off of a downed 'mech and the pilot chides herself for "being a good Angel" while everything is going to Hell.

Battletech has always had some inconsistencies when it comes to space magic. A HUGE plot point in the Warrior trilogy is Justin Allard's loss of his hand and if he will ever be able to pilot a mech again. However, TRO 3025 lists several notable pilots who have prosthetic limbs. Same thing with the Snord's Irregulars campaign. Even Kelly Yukinov and Minobu Tetsahura continued to pilot 'mechs after getting prosthetics in Wolves on the Border.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PhotoKirk posted:

That might have been Double Blind - there's a scene where one of the stranded mercs yanks the arm off of a downed 'mech and the pilot chides herself for "being a good Angel" while everything is going to Hell.

Bingo, yep, looked it up and I remember that book cover with the white/gold cataphract.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is one of those things that bounces back and forth in the lore depending on who is writing it that day.

It does, and most authors gloss it over because they don't want to peg themselves into a hole that may look anachronistic in a few years. Since Stackpole writes cockpit perspectives most of the time, he glosses over the actual controls with generalities and things cribbed from jet fighters. The earliest descriptions of control waldos felt really dated with the speed at which computer technology advanced in the 90s, so I really don't blame any author for not getting into the specifics of how a magic future space UI works.

'Mech hands can be gentle enough to pick up a person without injuring them but are also strong enough to peel open a 'Mech cockpit like an orange (Minobu Tetsuhara and Maeve Wolf both do so, Minobu to save Jaime Wolf from dying in Lava and Maeve to kill his dumb idiot grandson during the Dragoon Civil War). Loren Jaffray used a Hussar's hands to skip a dummy (representing a VIP) across a lake during a training mission and it was noted that he did so with enough control and delicacy that the VIP probably would've survived with only a few broken bones. A 'mech's hand can do pretty much anything a human's can, they just can't be controlled without a neurohelmet. If they couldn't 'Mechs would just have solid lump battering rams or claws. Hand control is a sign of pilot skill, so notable given-to-the-idiot-sons-of-notable-samurai-families 'Mech the Dragon has a claw instead of a hand to make it harder to tell how good the Mechwarrior actually is.

That said, 'Mechs aren't driven solely by mind-machine interfaces unless you bring in the Word of Blake's Machina Domini. They do have usable physical controls and you do not need a neurohelmet to move one around. 'Mechs have a set of crosshairs for each weapon (or weapon group) but only have two (or sometimes even only one!) joysticks. We know how pilots assign weapon groups to fire, but we don't know how the 'Mech knows which weapon group to aim. You don't even really need a neurohelmet to make a 'Mech walk. Technicians do it all the time, and Cassie Southorn made a BattleMaster take a few steps in combat without the aid of a neurohelmet--but when she did it was very obvious to the 'Mech's Blakist lancemates that the 'Mech wasn't moving right. The only reason she survived is because they had an important assassination to finish and just assumed the BattleMaster's mechwarrior was badly injured rather than taking a look at who was in the cockpit.

Locusts and other light 'mechs are capable of jumping. They can get themselves off the ground with raw mechanical power, they just can't jump more than 30 meters; and most 'mechs are able to get both their legs off the ground at the same time when they move at a run. Most of the reverse-joint 'Mechs are actually notorious for this which is why humanoid 'Mechs tend to be more common. 'Mechs with retrograde legs they tend to bounce when they run and it's seen as a mark of skill if a Mechwarrior piloting one can keep the torso steady while moving quickly.

The TLDR is: 'Mechs are both big and clumsy and not as flexible as people but also a lot faster and more agile than they're usually represented in video games. If it takes half a second to look over your own shoulder, it might take a 'Mech 2-3 seconds. But that Wasp or Wolfhound or Panther can absolutely turn their heads and shoulders far enough to emulate the motion.

PhotoKirk posted:

Battletech has always had some inconsistencies when it comes to space magic. A HUGE plot point in the Warrior trilogy is Justin Allard's loss of his hand and if he will ever be able to pilot a mech again. However, TRO 3025 lists several notable pilots who have prosthetic limbs. Same thing with the Snord's Irregulars campaign. Even Kelly Yukinov and Minobu Tetsahura continued to pilot 'mechs after getting prosthetics in Wolves on the Border.

In his defense, I think this was supposedly because of nerve damage due to the fire he got trapped in and not the loss of the limb itself. It was also made to seem like a bigger deal than it actually was to give the Federated Suns a back-up excuse to kick Justin Allard out of the military if, for some reason, Duke Hasek's sham trial fell through. Hanse Davion was counting on Justin being able to pilot a 'Mech again without issue and their entire spy games plot would've fallen apart if Justin couldn't manage it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

After the last few pages, I have a dumb question - Why isn't there a MW5 thread?

I watched a video from Splattercat that has me kind of interested in buying and playing this one, but was sort of hoping it would go on sale first so I could pick up the game and all the DLC for a bit cheaper.

Would be nice to have an easy to find reference point for things like what mods to install and how to set them up for an enjoyable experience.

I sometimes have trouble in this thread figuring out if the discussion on certain things is for BT or MW5.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Between being made by pgi, them announcing egs exclusive for a year after taking presales for steam, and the initial release state of the game noone really gave a gently caress enough to get it its own thread

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

The Locator posted:

After the last few pages, I have a dumb question - Why isn't there a MW5 thread?

I watched a video from Splattercat that has me kind of interested in buying and playing this one, but was sort of hoping it would go on sale first so I could pick up the game and all the DLC for a bit cheaper.

Would be nice to have an easy to find reference point for things like what mods to install and how to set them up for an enjoyable experience.

I sometimes have trouble in this thread figuring out if the discussion on certain things is for BT or MW5.

Because as I mentioned before , the game is bad.
But not a "ha ha let's laugh at the circus freak" kind of bad, just kinda dull and uninteresting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Locator posted:

I'd expect a sale for the base game and the older DLCs of MW5 once the new DLC drops on Thursday, that's usually how it goes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

Because as I mentioned before , the game is bad.
But not a "ha ha let's laugh at the circus freak" kind of bad, just kinda dull and uninteresting.

At launch?

Yes.

After 3 expansions and a poo poo load of mods?

No.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I still like MWO and sometimes, for a laugh, I'll get on VOIP and only speak in comlang for no reason

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Cyrano4747 posted:

At launch?

Yes.

After 3 expansions and a poo poo load of mods?

No.

Nah it's still pretty bad.
It went from like a 4/10 to a 6.5/10.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I still like MWO and sometimes, for a laugh, I'll get on VOIP and only speak in comlang for no reason

SQUAWK or nothing :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sorry, it's just that literally nobody cares quite enough about MW5 to make a thread about it, everybody who would play it probably plays this game Battletech too and knows the source material to varying degrees. That and that HBS BT is pretty much "done" as far as development is concerned so chatter about BT proper is sporadic and half the time will be about mods, anyway.

Before people started taking a second look at MW5, years after its EGS exclusivity ended, this thread was pretty much kept alive by Roguetech because not much else is going on outside of the modding scene.

E:

Sample_text posted:

Nah it's still pretty bad.
It went from like a 4/10 to a 6.5/10.

ngl that's a pretty fair assessment if we're not taking rating inflation into account. Modded up, MW5 feels like a pretty decent 3 out of 5 game to burn a couple dozen hours with.

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 24, 2023

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Runa posted:

Sorry, it's just that literally nobody cares quite enough about MW5 to make a thread about it, everybody who would play it probably plays this game Battletech too and knows the source material to varying degrees. That and that HBS BT is pretty much "done" as far as development is concerned so chatter about BT proper is sporadic and half the time will be about mods, anyway.

Before people started taking a second look at MW5, years after its EGS exclusivity ended, this thread was pretty much kept alive by Roguetech because not much else is going on outside of the modding scene.

E:

ngl that's a pretty fair assessment if we're not taking rating inflation into account. Modded up, MW5 feels like a pretty decent 3 out of 5 game to burn a couple dozen hours with.

I've been playing for about a week now, and while it has some good moments the game is REALLY loving raw. Not in a cute slav-jank kinda way, in a frustrating way.
Ironically the closes thing that it reminds me of is not Mech Warrior 4 Mercs, but rather Destiny 2. Same tedious repetitive grind, same tiny incremental power progress, same frustrating micromanaging of your inventory, same frustrating difficulty curve where you're carving through endlessly respawning fodder one moment and have an elite squad drop literally on top of you the next.
I played a bit of MWO years ago and found it one of those scummy f2p games, that stonewalls your progress unless you spend days grinding or pony up, and a small part of me wonders if MW5 wasn't supposed to be some co-op live service type crap, which they rolled back at the last moment when the likes of Anthem went tits up, because it absolutely feels like it is tuned for that kind of experience.

I've played through some of the DLC missions, they're a bit poo poo. One that I remember is where I'm going through a canyon trying to reach a base and there's nothing but LRM boats and AC5 snipers on the other side of the canyon. I had to save scum because I loaded up on a brawl mech and the game just went NOPE. You'll cover-snipe or die.

I mean, MW Vengence had some bullshit moments with its "boss fights" where full hp mechs spawn on top of you during cutscenes (and if I remember it's actually possible to die in a cutscene if you are at the wrong place and the wrong time since the boss activates on you during the cutscene and can shoot you while you can't control your mech), but those were like... 2 if I remember correctly?

IMHO Mech Commander 1 & 2 were this series high points (with 2 needing a mod, and OF COURSE the thing that it fixes is the ever present dumbass AI).

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It does, and most authors gloss it over because they don't want to peg themselves into a hole that may look anachronistic in a few years. Since Stackpole writes cockpit perspectives most of the time, he glosses over the actual controls with generalities and things cribbed from jet fighters. The earliest descriptions of control waldos felt really dated with the speed at which computer technology advanced in the 90s, so I really don't blame any author for not getting into the specifics of how a magic future space UI works.

'Mech hands can be gentle enough to pick up a person without injuring them but are also strong enough to peel open a 'Mech cockpit like an orange (Minobu Tetsuhara and Maeve Wolf both do so, Minobu to save Jaime Wolf from dying in Lava and Maeve to kill his dumb idiot grandson during the Dragoon Civil War). Loren Jaffray used a Hussar's hands to skip a dummy (representing a VIP) across a lake during a training mission and it was noted that he did so with enough control and delicacy that the VIP probably would've survived with only a few broken bones. A 'mech's hand can do pretty much anything a human's can, they just can't be controlled without a neurohelmet. If they couldn't 'Mechs would just have solid lump battering rams or claws. Hand control is a sign of pilot skill, so notable given-to-the-idiot-sons-of-notable-samurai-families 'Mech the Dragon has a claw instead of a hand to make it harder to tell how good the Mechwarrior actually is.

That said, 'Mechs aren't driven solely by mind-machine interfaces unless you bring in the Word of Blake's Machina Domini. They do have usable physical controls and you do not need a neurohelmet to move one around. 'Mechs have a set of crosshairs for each weapon (or weapon group) but only have two (or sometimes even only one!) joysticks. We know how pilots assign weapon groups to fire, but we don't know how the 'Mech knows which weapon group to aim. You don't even really need a neurohelmet to make a 'Mech walk. Technicians do it all the time, and Cassie Southorn made a BattleMaster take a few steps in combat without the aid of a neurohelmet--but when she did it was very obvious to the 'Mech's Blakist lancemates that the 'Mech wasn't moving right. The only reason she survived is because they had an important assassination to finish and just assumed the BattleMaster's mechwarrior was badly injured rather than taking a look at who was in the cockpit.

Locusts and other light 'mechs are capable of jumping. They can get themselves off the ground with raw mechanical power, they just can't jump more than 30 meters; and most 'mechs are able to get both their legs off the ground at the same time when they move at a run. Most of the reverse-joint 'Mechs are actually notorious for this which is why humanoid 'Mechs tend to be more common. 'Mechs with retrograde legs they tend to bounce when they run and it's seen as a mark of skill if a Mechwarrior piloting one can keep the torso steady while moving quickly.

The TLDR is: 'Mechs are both big and clumsy and not as flexible as people but also a lot faster and more agile than they're usually represented in video games. If it takes half a second to look over your own shoulder, it might take a 'Mech 2-3 seconds. But that Wasp or Wolfhound or Panther can absolutely turn their heads and shoulders far enough to emulate the motion.

In his defense, I think this was supposedly because of nerve damage due to the fire he got trapped in and not the loss of the limb itself. It was also made to seem like a bigger deal than it actually was to give the Federated Suns a back-up excuse to kick Justin Allard out of the military if, for some reason, Duke Hasek's sham trial fell through. Hanse Davion was counting on Justin being able to pilot a 'Mech again without issue and their entire spy games plot would've fallen apart if Justin couldn't manage it.

In short, Mech Piloting is something that has a very high skill ceiling. Your average graduate fresh from a Mechwarrior school probably wouldn't be able to do much more than the stuff you see depicted in the games (Trundle forward, shoot guns, occasionally flail with giant metal fists), but pilots who are experienced and have practiced the motions can get a lot more finesse out of their rides since they know how to coordinate their giant robot's body into complex, human-like motion.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wanting to mix up bedtime reading for my son I read some of the novellas they put in the TTG boxed sets to him. There's a scene where the mercenary officer has one of his men ferry him back to their forward base by climbing into the hands of his commando and being gently nestled in one hand and sheltered from the planet's biting winds like King Kong and Fay Wray with the other.

Battletech mechs are definitely more stompy and industrial than most anime mecha, but it's easy to overstate the "refridgerators with legs" trope about them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looking around on the wiki there's at least one mech and interface a weirdo scientist made that moved too much like a human with small movements and tics and the like and it weirded everyone out

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

the big benefit of Mechwarrior 5 now, as opposed to launch, is it's on game pass so if you already have that you don't have to pay anything extra to play it.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Ok I take back what I said about it being a 6.5 with mods.
It's still trash.

Went into a fairly straightforward raid mission. All my teammates are mounting Gauss rifles.
We reach a long flat plain before the objective. Enemy lance is right there in the open. I expect them to get wrecked by my squad.
They don't shoot.

They simply refuse to shoot.

I spam attack commands, they just shuffle in place.
I form them on me, they just walk around.

I order them to move forward, they just move and refuse to shoot their loving weapons.

I exit the map and check to see if they have ammo , they do.

I try again from a different angle, still nothing.

They're well within range, I can literally stand behind one of the guys and look down the barrel of his gun, he has CLEAR line of sight. He . simply. doesn't . shoot.

This is WITH the AI mod.

They're hopeless idiots.

This game is still bad .

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

It's still trash.

Went into a fairly straightforward raid mission. All my teammates are mounting Gauss rifles.
We reach a long flat plain before the objective. Enemy lance is right there in the open. I expect them to get wrecked by my squad.
They don't shoot.

I order them to move forward, they just move and refuse to shoot their loving weapons.

They're well within range, I can literally stand behind one of the guys and look down the barrel of his gun, he has CLEAR line of sight. He . simply. doesn't . shoot.

This is WITH the AI mod.

They're hopeless idiots.

This game is still bad .

I don't have any issues like that but I'm just using the YAML mod (only thing I see is sometimes the game forgets chassis names and the aforementioned dogshit defaults). I think your modset's busted something

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sample_text posted:

It's still trash.

They don't shoot.

This is WITH the AI mod.

They're hopeless idiots.

This game is still bad .

See this is why I keep pushing coop. If those were 3 other players in a voice call with you in coop, you'd be coordinating and just stomping through this mission. The AI is unworkably bad, but playing MW5 singleplayer would be like playing Left 4 Dead singleplayer.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Chainclaw posted:

See this is why I keep pushing coop. If those were 3 other players in a voice call with you in coop, you'd be coordinating and just stomping through this mission. The AI is unworkably bad, but playing MW5 singleplayer would be like playing Left 4 Dead singleplayer.

I honestly don't know 3 IRL people that would waste their time with this.
Playing with randos is not my style.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Chainclaw posted:

I save my limited social interaction budget for good games.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

It's still trash.

They don't shoot.

This is WITH the AI mod.

They're hopeless idiots.

This game is still bad .

Yeah this isn't normal behavior.

You've got something hosed.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Look at Mr Popular there, with 3 friends available that play MW..
I still like MW5, it might be nostalgia from old MW3 and 4 Mercs time, so when I hear

quote:

Reactor online
Sensors online
Weapons online
All systems nominal

I get my endorphins.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah this isn't normal behavior.

You've got something hosed.

Yeah your mod is loving something up. Normally they're too eager to shoot, I genuinely lost count of how many times I lost the gauss arm in my Royal Highlander to being shot in the back by friendly AI.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Yeah no I figured out what it was.

The clueless idiots 's behavior got hosed by the Raid Objectives being in range, and their attack aggro constantly toggled between the objectives and the mechs.

I tried rushing the objective down and making a run for it, and as soon as that final fuel tank went pop, it's like a switch in their tiny heads turned back on and they starting shooting again.

Thanks to all the fanboys in the thread blaming me for "breaking the game" tho.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

look it's on game pass, tons of people have game pass so you don't even have to convince 3 other people to buy the game. Also, if you really want the DLC, only the host needs the DLC. I'm surprised to see people complaining about finding groups for MW5 here considering how easy it was to find big groups of goons to play MWO with when that was popular. I think MWO was the only game I played with goons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

The clueless idiots 's behavior got hosed by the Raid Objectives being in range, and their attack aggro constantly toggled between the objectives and the mechs.

I tried rushing the objective down and making a run for it, and as soon as that final fuel tank went pop, it's like a switch in their tiny heads turned back on and they starting shooting again.

Simmer down lol, we're trying to help you - that's also not normal behavior, you should toggle that ai mod and check things

Q_res posted:

Yeah your mod is loving something up. Normally they're too eager to shoot, I genuinely lost count of how many times I lost the gauss arm in my Royal Highlander to being shot in the back by friendly AI.

I didn't think there was friendly fire lol, I've just been blasting around my lance. Sorry guys

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Simmer down lol, we're trying to help you - that's also not normal behavior, you should toggle that ai mod and check things

Sorry, that was just a really tilting moment for me.

The AI mod I have, I was told it's "more or less mandatory" , since without it they'd somehow be even dumber.

The whole reason I was so mad to begin with, that canyon mission I talked about , where I had to spend 15 mintues peaking around corners for LRM boats, the reward was a Hero Rifleman with dual wield Gauss arms.
THIS was the first mission I took him on, and he utterly squandered it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

Sorry, that was just a really tilting moment for me.

The AI mod I have, I was told it's "more or less mandatory" , since without it they'd somehow be even dumber.

The whole reason I was so mad to begin with, that canyon mission I talked about , where I had to spend 15 mintues peaking around corners for LRM boats, the reward was a Hero Rifleman with dual wield Gauss arms.
THIS was the first mission I took him on, and he utterly squandered it.

No worries, I get it's frustrating when poo poo breaks. The AI's not very good agreed, but I haven't really needed to do anything modwise yet to get them to do basic tasks like that. Any map that's a huge canyon you're expected to zigzag through for twenty minutes sucks incredibly badly

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

That's not normal behavior either. There's something really wonky going on with the AI that you're describing that I genuinely haven't encountered in ~200 hours of play time, with at least 30 of that being unmodded.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

Three questions:

1) which AI mod

2) you're using the correct version for the version of the game you have, right?

3) They just released a big assed patch. Have you frozen your install at the correct version number?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't think there was friendly fire lol, I've just been blasting around my lance. Sorry guys

There's an option in, I think, YAML to just turn off friendly fire. Frankly I don't think it's cheating or game breaking to turn it off.

It also turns off friendly fire for the opposing team, which makes it pretty clear how often the enemy mechs were also clipping elbows.

Honestly I think it's due to the hardpoint system. Since your guns have a physical location on your mech, they're often shooting with an offset to the reticle. So a Marauder or Warhammer, with their big, widely spaced, low-slung arms are going to draw a very different line from weapon to target than a rifleman, with its guns mounted much higher, and both are going to look different from the torso mounted weapons on a Grasshopper.

I suspect that the AI is fine at not pulling the trigger if a friendly mech is between it and the enemy, but that it can't figure out when a friendly is outside what it's aiming at, but still intersecting the line between the gun and the enemy. I mean, I have to get to know a specific chassis pretty well to understand when I can shoot around a team mate, and frankly I mostly just hold off for that extra second to clear them out of the way first.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Is there a basic mod collection which anybody recommends? Or is it basically a texture mod, warFX, that biomes one, YAML and an AI mod?
Also is the DLC required for the mods to work (or work well)?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Fake Name posted:

Is there a basic mod collection which anybody recommends? Or is it basically a texture mod, warFX, that biomes one, YAML and an AI mod?
Also is the DLC required for the mods to work (or work well)?

Skip jumpship travel cutscenes: https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/100
Once you're installing mods, you are probably sick of waiting on this long cutscene, so nuke it.

Co-op unlock tabs: https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/706
By default in co-op, only the host can do certain things, which is boring for other players. This gives everyone more complete access to editing mechs, painting mechs, shopping, etc. Without this, the other players in coop are going to be very bored waiting on the host to outfit every mech for the next mission, with this it lets everyone feel ownership over their own mech.

Last time we played those were the only two mods we had and it was good enough for us.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Looking at my list I'd say the really useful ones are:

MechAttributeViewer
PilotOverhaul
TTRulez_AIMod (there are a few sub-mods for this, read the mod page)
BetterSpawns
YAML

required to make stuff above work:
Mod Options
MW 5 Compatibility Pack

Some nice QOL stuff:
BetterSalvageShares
PurchaseSalvage
ReputationLossCap
MechDelivery

Then on top of that I've got a ton of HD packs, shaders, improvements to the visuals and weather effects, etc. Just sort by most popular in Nexus and you'll find most of those.

VonBiomes is also really good for improving map diversity.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Cyrano4747 posted:

Three questions:

1) which AI mod

2) you're using the correct version for the version of the game you have, right?

3) They just released a big assed patch. Have you frozen your install at the correct version number?

TRulez_AIMod2_with_LancemateOrderz_v_6_2-269-6-2

Comments of mod mention the version I have.

I disconnected the game to prevent it from breaking YAML, which I value more than whatever patch changes they might have.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RBA Starblade posted:

Looking around on the wiki there's at least one mech and interface a weirdo scientist made that moved too much like a human with small movements and tics and the like and it weirded everyone out

The guy from Unbound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

TRulez_AIMod2_with_LancemateOrderz_v_6_2-269-6-2

Comments of mod mention the version I have.

I disconnected the game to prevent it from breaking YAML, which I value more than whatever patch changes they might have.

Hrm. Ok, I'll play around later today to see if I can replicate what you've got happening.

Something you might want to do as an aside is also install TTRules_AIMod_EasyAIM and let it have precedence over AIMod2. AIMod also buffs the enemy accuracy, but EasyAIM puts that back to vanilla, which frankly I think it needs because the enemy composition is balanced around that.

edit: you're installing both mods from that pack, right? It's two mods in one zip looking at Nexus.