Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

The other two major sports seems
to not gently caress this up.

Nobody particularly gives a poo poo about the other HoFs either, though.

But also the hall of plaques is the least interesting part of the Hall of Fame anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’ve flip flopped on it a couple times over the years, but the capital ‘h’ Hall should enshrine glory. Everything else is for the museum that the hall itself sits in. The writers can largely be assholes, but that also gives the Baseball Hall of Fame it’s credibility. No one cares about the HOF for the other sports. They let everyone in.

And yes Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens, et al should be in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

The Phillies local tv people would talk about a Abreau juicing routinely in barely coded language like “he really hit the gym over the off-season (ha ha ha )” or “abreau is looking much bigger due to some extraordinary work outs and a new diet (ha ha ha )”

He uh used creatine, actually, sir: https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2005-04-12-3611058-story.html

quote:

Phillies right fielder Bobby Abreu admitted on Monday he once used creatine, a body-building supplement.

"I tried creatine," Abreu said. "It worked. It builds your powers and gives you power. It worked very good for me."

Abreu said he never took the next steps to Andro, which was legal at the time but has since been banned, or other steroids.

"I didn't consider Andro because the creatine was working," Abreu said. "I stopped in 1998 or 1999 because you have to drink a lot of water and sometimes you'd get cramps."

He was tempted to try steroids.

"Like everybody else," Abreu said. "Sometimes it crossed my mind, but I said, "That's OK, I'll stay with creatine.' The creatine worked very good for me so why force something stronger? I want to go to GNC and take stuff that will build my muscles that is safe."

Abreu wanted to go on record in light of recent comments made by former Phillies first baseman Rico Brogna at a symposium on baseball and steroids at the University of New Haven last week and in several newspapers.

The Waterbury (Conn.) Republican-American reported Brogna said: "I remember when I was with the Phillies, we were on the road, at our hotel, when a pitcher asked me to inject him with steroids. I don't know, I guess he couldn't stick a needle in himself.

"I told him no, that I didn't think that I could stick a needle in someone either, but also, I said no because I didn't believe it was right."

Brogna, who played with Philadelphia from 1997-2000, told the Philadelphia Daily News he thought three or four of his teammates "experimented" with steroids and that "I think I was a little naive. I think it might have been a bigger problem than I thought at the time."

Brogna never felt guilty about purchasing a product that he could buy at the grocery store "right next to the Oreos."

"Andro, for me, was amazing," Brogna said. "It gave me better results than anything I'd taken in my career. The gains I got were incredible. I did it during the offseason and it was like my body kept telling me to work out more.

"I had more energy. I could do more sets, more reps. I wanted to get down and work out the next day. It was like I had to feed my body by working out."

Abreu, Brogna's teammate for three seasons, didn't see anyone on the club trying anything illegal.

"Not really," Abreu said. "I didn't see it. I was pretty much in the corner locker at the old Vet Stadium. People used creatine to build muscles, but I never saw anyone using steroids."

Abreu uses NO2 products now and makes sure they get clearance from the team's trainers.

Player of the week: Pat Burrell was the first winner of the National League Player of the Week Award after hitting .480 with three homers and a major league-leading 15 RBIs. Burrell also led the majors in hits (12), total bases (24), slugging percentage (.960).

Extra innnigs: Vicente Padilla hopes to get in 80-85 pitches in his rehab start for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre against Richmond tonight. Pitching coach Rich Dubee said he'd want Padilla to throw a few side sessions before making an evaluation on whether Padilla would need another minor league tune-up before re-joining the rotation. … Kenny Lofton reported his strained right hamstring felt much better. He was available, if needed. … Philadelphia's 43 runs scored tops the majors and is the most the team has scored in the first six games since 1976, when they scored 46 going 3-3.

Edit: There were some Phillies on those teams that were obviously just jacked, including Abreu. Lieberthal was pretty big at one point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Creatine isn't even banned by the MLB, I don't understand why people make a big deal about it. It's perfectly fine to use.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's because that's what everyone was saying McGwire was using so I think it's just the association. That's the first time I ever heard about it anyway, was during that HR chase.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

drat, that must sting even worse since Cashman and Co. couldn't get it done when also cheating

The "nah nah the yankees cheated too" thing is the most tiresome meme ever. That is why the Yankees had multiple picks stripped, millions of dollars in fines and guys lose their careers over. Because they cheated too lol

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
and couldn't even get a ring in the process when the astros did smdh

edit: personally I think cheating has a place in baseball as one of it's oldest and most consistent traditions

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teams have to cheat to offset MLB's cheating.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The "nah nah the yankees cheated too" thing is the most tiresome meme ever. That is why the Yankees had multiple picks stripped, millions of dollars in fines and guys lose their careers over. Because they cheated too lol

Just because Manfred let them off doesn't mean they weren't cheating (he let them off cause a lot of teams were probably doing it and he didn't want another scandal).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Let the fans vote. lets get Bobson Dugnut in there

Hitty McHitFace

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1617932239223898112

Oh look here's the guy who is going to sit behind IKF for 119 games this season

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1617937409483866112?s=20&t=OHld9a81Tn0L3YmlgIAhhg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1617932239223898112

Oh look here's the guy who is going to sit behind IKF for 119 games this season

lol you think you're joking

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Arte Moreno continues to forge bold new paths in team ownership failures

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1617940908670058496

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress you Arte!!!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red Sox are sending back LHP Josh Taylor, and are also getting a PTBNL. Sure, fine, whatever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Arte Moreno continues to forge bold new paths in team ownership failures

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1617940908670058496

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1617941112135782400

Oh man

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"A crown jewel? Maybe I should keep it then."

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Lmao a crown jewel? Lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I guess I'll just post the rest of the thread

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1617941724185391104

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1617942173005287425

They're right that the Angels ought to be a very attractive asset to prospective owners. Their financial situation is strong, despite Arte's incompetence and the lawsuit with the city of Anaheim.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
when you're about to sell a thing for 2.5 billion (with a B) dollars that you only paid 180 million (with an M) for, sometimes you just have to take a step back and consider if you're making the right move

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arte Moreno making the right move, you say?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I don't think Moreno's shenanigans are really going to deter future buyers. There's only 30 teams and one only becomes available every couple of years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He'll probably just sell it next off season after the Angels finish 75-87 and Ohtani is a free agent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dinosaurs! posted:

Lmao a crown jewel? Lol

Sounds like the Saudis were trying to buy the team to me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh god they would've taken a hacksaw to that roster

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I guess it was the cheating.

Nah I think it was the consistent embarrassment they gave the Yankees in the playoffs.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Red Sox are sending back LHP Josh Taylor, and are also getting a PTBNL. Sure, fine, whatever.

Given the Royals luck Mondesi will finally put it all together and be a 40-40 guy or something.

Although with the way his career has been going Mondesi might just spontaneously combust two games into the season.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's not good
https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/status/1617967592957960193

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

If the end result is Barry bonds on not in the hall the method is wrong and needs to be changed. It’s that simple.

The other two major sports seems
to not gently caress this up.

100% agree, I don’t think steroid use should disqualify someone from the HoF. At least not players that were doing it before they started testing for it.

And even then it’s not cut and dry, I don’t think we need to be going after guys that used HGH to rehab injuries. Bonds being excluded from the Hall is insane, he’s arguably the best player of all time.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am shocked that one of Trevor Bauer's best friends also sucks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kirios posted:

Nah I think it was the consistent embarrassment they gave the Yankees in the playoffs.

Because they cheated.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

He allegedly threw used chewing tobacco at a kid? MLB really needs a zero tolerance policy for these scumbags.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Because they cheated.

And the Yankees get embarrassed year after year? Sounds like a win-win situation for all the fans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1617968455776436230

I demand that the Orioles clubhouse stop endearing itself to me by liking shows I watch and trading their most upstanding players of character to us for one season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

Olivia Finestead, the 24-year-old mother of Clevinger’s child, told The Athletic on Tuesday that she has been in contact with individuals from MLB’s Department of Investigations since this summer. According to Finestead, she has detailed to those investigators incidents of physical, verbal and emotional abuse, including an incident from last June in which Finestead said Clevinger choked her, and another about two weeks later when she said Clevinger slapped her in a hotel room when the team was playing the Dodgers and threw used chewing tobacco on their child.

Finestead, who agreed to be named in this story, first publicly disclosed the allegations in an Instagram story early Tuesday.

“I hope the @MLB does what they should and puts him in required therapy maybe even a small suspensions (sic) so he can take time out to really think about why he abuses his kids and their mothers,” the story post said.

The White Sox said they were not aware of these allegations when they signed Clevinger.

Lovely. Hopefully at least with the victim cooperating with the league so readily they'll be able to nail his rear end to a lengthy suspension sooner rather than later.

These loving shitstains make my blood boil.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I am very curious as to how the White Sox didn't know about this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would not be surprised if the league's first response to any allegations against any players is to immediately silo it and keep it to just a few people while they look into it. I think this because this is how every organization in America reacts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
god I hate the White Sox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Really like this for the Twins. Trading lottery tickets to fill your depth holes is the right move at this stage of contention, and no team has ever needed a 4th outfielder more.

Makes sense on the Royals side too. Both have a reasonable floor of taxi squad bullpen guys (Sisk probably the more likely of the two to not flop entirely) with the opportunity to anchor the back end of a great bullpen with a few lucky breaks.