Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Q_res posted:

Yeah your mod is loving something up. Normally they're too eager to shoot, I genuinely lost count of how many times I lost the gauss arm in my Royal Highlander to being shot in the back by friendly AI.

Get the mod that turns off damage from allies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stravag posted:

Get the mod that turns off damage from allies

It's an option in YAML, so no need if you're running that already.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Oh I know, I tell people that mod is basically mandatory

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Q_res posted:

Oh I know, I tell people that mod is basically mandatory

I didn't start using it until relatively recently because I was kinda fine with the simplified mechlab and had no idea it was packed so full of other QOL upgrades.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GD_American posted:

The guy from Unbound?

Yeah I think so

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I didn't start using it until relatively recently because I was kinda fine with the simplified mechlab and had no idea it was packed so full of other QOL upgrades.

I was actually referring to the No Friendly Fire mod Stravag mentioned. I've not really messed with YAML.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I would personally consider Advanced Zoom to be basically mandatory, because the default only going up to 2x is bullshit. This lets you go up to 8x.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Q_res posted:

I was actually referring to the No Friendly Fire mod Stravag mentioned. I've not really messed with YAML.

Oh yeah, YAML has a bunch of odd quality of life poo poo tacked on that's not telegraphed at all until you open up the mod options menus. You can set up a salvage system that rewards chunks of mech - lifted straight from HBS Battletech -, tweak the HP of vehicles (which you need to do, for some reason they defauted to something like 3x hp for everything), turn friendly fire off, and a bunch of other poo poo. It's surprisingly comprehensive.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Still haven't updated Roger Tech to the new HHR version, because I'm having too much fun with my horrifically expensive merc company mauling the poo poo out of stuff much better than their rating. :black101:

Example: finally got a second MMS (micro missile) launcher, and more ammo. Couldn't fit both into my Mad Dog "Revenant" without gutting it, so I pulled the RISC Longbow out of storage. Did a massive rebuild, lost a bunch of equipment slots because I needed weight savings, but 2x MMS30, 2 tons each of Inferno and Standard ammo, 1 ton of Tandem (does automatic internal damage per hit unless Through-Armor-Crit immune) @ 300 rounds per ton, absolutely massive ECM/EWAR packages, stealthed all to gently caress (Void armor for 80% sensor stealth, and Active Camouflage mimetic for an additional 40% negative visibility), small stack of Battler Computers to mitigate heat and add extra accuracy, plus missile accuracy in particular. (Might swap out the C3 Master unit for a Slave, so I can add AMS and more heatsinking.) All in a package that zooms along for... well, seven hexes, c'mon, it's still 85 tons. :rice: And it registers as half a green skull (difficulty 1).

So, take a 4 green skull Gladiator combat. Enemies are a PPC/MRM40 (medium-range missile, unguided rocket spam) Griffin and a Trebuchet with a bunch of Rocket Packs (even-less-guided heavy rocket spam). And they're coming after me, instead of stooging around waiting for me. :getin: Treb gets close enough that I can move into LoS, and Inferno-alpha. In Fire And Forget more, which hucks twice as many missiles. So, MMS 60 becomes 120. Using Jamie (dev pilot), who adds +1 heat per hit, so he really needs to be one something that just shits out massive firepower - RACs, those nasty pirate Pulse lasers, machine guns...

And missiles.

Trebuchet ends up about a fraction of a bar from shutdown, and glows nicely. Griffin runs off, which I'm cool with. Treb didn't shut down, but does spend the next turn cooling down to about 70% max heat.

Again, near-shutdown heat, a bit less cooldown.

Still glowing nicely, and finally shutdown, with exposed structure. Griffin has been dicking around getting into range, but is still a turn away, so I use just 30 rounds of standard ammo to blow the Trebuchet's engine right out the back of the mech.

Griffin finally jumps in! And unloads the PPC and forty rockets into my side! Chews a bunch of my armor and fucks up the paintjob, so back to Inferno.

Immediately glows and shuts down. Wrong neighborhood, mother fucker.

Ammo explosion injures the Griffin's pilot. And he takes fatal burns after I move but before I can fire, so free melty Griffin as salvage! :toot:

This is going to be hilarious.

Also sac a picture of a player airstrike by Lady Alekto (dev pilot), who has special quirks for Inferno and SRMs, and can call in 2 airstrikes per mission (for a price). Urban map, and it appears *her* airstrikes are dropping more napalm than the treeline strike in Apocalypse Now. WARCRIMING INTENSIFIES

And I finally used one of my Toad (Flamer) battlearmors in actual combat - some dumb schmuck assassination target in a Spider decided to take on Muderer's Row (Annihlator, Marauder, LRM Longbow, LRM Nova Cat and Thumper/AMS boat Corsair). Lit him up with Inferno SRMs and flamers, before running up and punching his legs off. (Don't let BA close, they hit awfully hard, for being as squishy as they are, and if they swarm (board and storm) you, it's worse.)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That sounds awesome. I just decided to try out MMS for the first time myself.

Started my new Kurita career for Season 4 and went with the Bushwacker start. Rolled the one with the MMLs which served me well for several early missions but I lucked out and got an MMS-30 with double tandem ammo as salvage on a mission.

I'm still mainly facing light mechs at this point, so when it goes off, it just deletes the mech in question.

Combine that with my scout mech tagging, narcing, and sensor locking enemy mechs and these early missions feel easy mode, despite my low pilot accuracy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I think it's due to the hardpoint system. Since your guns have a physical location on your mech, they're often shooting with an offset to the reticle. So a Marauder or Warhammer, with their big, widely spaced, low-slung arms are going to draw a very different line from weapon to target than a rifleman, with its guns mounted much higher, and both are going to look different from the torso mounted weapons on a Grasshopper.
That would make sense. Just through trial and error one of the best mechs I've found for AI is a banshee with all weapons in the torso.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I play with the extra equipment mod that has segmented (?) armor, I just put a ton more on each arm vor the AI and it works

the real bastard is that one Heroes mission where you are a lone 50t bait running into an enemy city and back again, with YAML and the other mods the vehicles tear me to shreds

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know why YAML tripled the power of vehicles. Those things are balanced around the assumption that they're just endlessly spawning cannon fodder, nothing more than distracting chaff while you go about your real business. They aren't threats because they aren't supposed to be threats, and if you triple the power without changing how they appear, everything goes to poo poo.

This is especially bad if you use the Coyote mission pack, because that sometimes spawns giant ambushes of helicopters on you. I once was doing a co-op mission where we got attacked by almost ninety of the loving things.

Speaking of the Coyote missions, I advise against using it. Its missions are either brutally unfair or a loot bonanza, and there is no in-between.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 25, 2023

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Haven't played Battletech since release and going to give the game another shot soon. Any mods y'all recommend? I'm guessing YAML is for mechwarrior and not battletech?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, YAML makes refitting a mech in Mechwarrior like it is in Battletech.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Haven't played Battletech since release and going to give the game another shot soon. Any mods y'all recommend? I'm guessing YAML is for mechwarrior and not battletech?

Your big 3 are Battletech Extended: Commander's Edition (BTX) which is basically just the game with extra stuff. Up to and including Clan Mechs. Battletech Advanced (BTA) is a little more changed from Vanilla than BTX is and comes highly recommended for people who want a new HBStech experience. Then there's Roguetech. It kind of takes the "kitchen sink" approach to mod design, which isn't a good thing or a bad thing inherently, it's a very different experience but the people who like it really like it. It makes a lot of things closer to tabletop than vanilla but also adds a bunch of stuff that doesn't even exist in TT iirc.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Amechwarrior posted:

Here's my current load list:

"AIToolkit", - You likely don't need this, diagnostic AI tools written by the guy who made the original ModTek program
"BattletechPerformanceFix", - Everyone needs this, speeds up loading times and makes the game run better
"BetterHeadlights", - Visual improvements and customizable headlight settings
"BTDebug", - You might not need this, easier access to debugging tools
"cFixes", - Fixes stock typos - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Colorful Combatants", - Makes Pirates and Hostile Marc units have a more colorful camo pallet - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"CrystalClear", - Removes grain and haze, in my opinion everyone needs this
"CT Ammo Mover", - Moves stock designs CT ammo to sides and arms to prevent easy CT cores - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments", Makes lower difficulty FPs more likely to spawn first, great for career mode - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint_Stock_Photos", Needed for my FP below. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint_The_Raid", My Flashpoint, the first user made FP built to be a bit of a brutal slog you should be able to complete on the first try. Difficulty is not quite as high post HM weaponry and Marauders. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Friendly fire", - Enables Friendly Fire
"Little Ballistics tweeX", - Small personal mod to AC visuals, makes more of a stream of bullets - Disclaimer - I haven't bothered to release this one, but let me know if you want a copy.
"MechResizer", - I scale 'Mechs down a bit to TT/Novel size instead of the MWO/HBS scale (To be honest HBS made the right choice for gameplay/UI. I lose LCTs and small units in the trees sometimes, but their scale next to buildings is too large and my grog sense must fix it)
"ModTek", - Self explanatory, the mod loading program needed to load all other mods
"QuickCam", - Cut down even further the camera delays. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"ScorchedEarth", - Keeps footprints and scorch marks on the board longer, customizable settings.
"TurretlessVehicleHits", - Removes the bug where a vehicle without a turret gets hit there and the damage goes into a black hole.
"Better AI" - Makes the AI Better, enables reserve and tries to assign better roles to the AI units - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one and I think it's one of the longest running mods in the game as I started this in beta. Might even be the longest running, but I don't know for sure.

McGavin posted:

For QoL mods, I use the following:

AA.BT.RealHitChance: Battletech does weird stuff to the actual chance to hit numbers. This undoes that.

BattletechPerformanceFix: Fixes some of the things that slow down the game.

BTMLColorLOSMod: Changes the color of the targeting lines to clearly show if you have a direct line of sight to your target.

cFixes: Various bugfixes.

Flashpoint-Spawn-Adjustments: Fixes the spawn requirements for some Flashpoints.

MechSpin: Lets you spin your mechs in the hanger.

MeleeMover: Lets you choose where you stand when you use melee like the AI does.

ModTek: The mod that manages all the other mods.

NavigationComputer: Gives you more information on the navigation map.

PilotHealthPopup: Lets you know the health of enemy pilots.

QuickCam: Makes the camera faster.

SkipIntro: Either skips the campaign intro or the game intro, I forget which.

SkipTravelCutscenes: Skips some of the travel animations, which get old real fast.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 25, 2023

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Ok so I think I narrowed down what causes the AI gently caress ups I was complaining so much about yesterday.
It's basically a problem of prioritization. They have massive issues prioritizing between different things. Ordering them to attack one thing can help, but the more targets there are on screen the worse they get.
I was able to pinpoint this problem in another one of these supposedly good but in practice dogshit dlc missions.

I was ambushed by about 20 helicopters and they just went berserk, I have Riflemen in my lance and I was seeing their turrets just flip constantly around, bobing up and down, but no shots.
At the same time, they're crack shots when there's only a small number of things to focus on, they'll snipe a scout mech at long range with a Gauss the second it comes into view.

At the advice of a goon ITT I disabled the AI mod, and sadly it doesn't help.
They seem to break down at about 8+ targets on screen.
Yesterday I thought they had tunnel vision on Raid objectives and it was messing up their behavior, but it seems to be more that the raid objectives count as targets that is messing them up.

This explains why my Catapult will rain hellfire on warzone missions and defense, where enemies spawn in small sets, but do nothing in Demolition missions or beach heads where enemies pour in constantly.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it was such a drastic change for them, as I shot down the helicopters they started shooting the rest more and more often.
At the start they were just going haywire, but by the end they were laser-ing helos at the split second they came into view.

EDIT: The AI Mod DOES have a thing that will absolutely gently caress up their behavior, WORSE. There is a command called "focus fire". If you turn it on, it will DRASTICALLY reduce their aggro, even further.
I never used it before, but tried it in my playtesting and it made them consistently worse .
If you have this mod, look out for accidentally turning this on with F7 + F1.

This is also where I'm pulling the plug on the game and uninstalling. That's too much of a game-breaking issue for me to put up with.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 25, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How on earth are you getting swarmed by 20 choppers is that a mod? I nope out of missions or areas with like a dozen enemies at once tops lmao

I think I'm glad I'm mostly vanilla in MW5 even YAML's kind of janky about things (don't give anyone XL engines if you want them to come back)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

How on earth are you getting swarmed by 20 choppers is that a mod? I nope out of missions or areas with like a dozen enemies at once tops lmao

I think I'm glad I'm mostly vanilla in MW5 even YAML's kind of janky about things (don't give anyone XL engines if you want them to come back)

Yeah, I've never seen 20 at once. Maybe 10 in a big wave that's telegraphed by that Riana saying "yo poo poo a ton of helicopters are gunning for you."

I also just shoot down helicopters myself. THey're easy to swat down with two MLs or a single LL/PPC/etc, and they're annoying fuckers that will pump 4 SRMs at a time into your back armor while you're paying attention to the Atlas that's trying to chew your face off. Just blap them down as soon as I see them and leave my lancemates to keep sanding away at the enemy mechs and ground vehicles etc.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

I kinda did that to myself.
There's a campaign mission that has a 400 ton drop limit . My first mistake was going in with 280.
The mission has me assault a base. They tell me straight-up "Don't walk through the front door, they'll ambush you , go around".
I did go around. After a long gauntlet of lights and mediums, I reach the base from the other end...........and the game unceremoniously drops a full assault lance on my head, including A Marauder 2, which is like the one I have , but way buliker.
So I get pissed and decide to go in through the front door, because how much worse could it be than a full assault lance?
It's the exact same assault lance, but with the aforementioned 20 choppers and vtols.
The choppers LITERALLY spawn on top of you. They appear out of thin air less than 300 meters away, you can see them pop in.

Also to be clear, this isn't the reason I'm quitting. The AI loving up and refusing to shoot is. I feel that there would have been a way for me to cheese that mission by having my buddies be at the end of a long corridor and having me trigger the spawns. I figured that since the choppers are faster than the assaults, I'd just kite them into my AI and let them take them out, but it didn't work because they're gently caress-ups.

Stay in one spot and shoot at stuff that enters your weapon range is pretty basic stuff for an AI to do . The small laser turrets that pop out of the ground can do that. I don't feel like I'm asking much here......

EDIT: The grand joke here is that the 20 helos are still EASIER than all the poo poo you go through, fighting 10+ lights and mediums, PPC Panthers, some of those heavy PPC tanks . The fact that they drop them literally on your head is what will get you.
This spawning is so bad that some of them will spawn in cliffs and instantly explode

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 25, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If it's not fun for you don't play, but I still think there's something really fucky with your AI. I'll be the first one to recognize the faults in this game, but looking at steam right now I'm at 182 hours, plus ~40 or so in XBGP when it first launched and I grabbed it for kinda-free, with the XBGP play being 100% vanilla, and I've never seen the AI just refuse to engage like you're describing.

gently caress, usually with objective targets I have the opposite problem, where the assholes leave it up to me to trash an entire base while I'm also trying to prioritize the more dangerous defenders.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

EDIT: The grand joke here is that the 20 helos are still EASIER than all the poo poo you go through, fighting 10+ lights and mediums, PPC Panthers, some of those heavy PPC tanks . The fact that they drop them literally on your head is what will get you.
This spawning is so bad that some of them will spawn in cliffs and instantly explode

Are you running the better spawns mod? Because yeah, the way that poo poo spawns in in vanilla is hardcore bullshit and unfun as gently caress. BetterSpawns makes most things come in via drop-ship and usually lands them far enough away from your lance that you have time to position yourself. At the very least you know the dropship is coming down on your head if that's the deal, so you have time to push 50 meters to a side and face the landing straight on so you're not getting slammed in the back by an SRM carrier spawning behind you.

I more or less rage quit my first XBGP playthrough after three campaigns got stalled on that factory assault mission (I think it's story mission 4 or 5) and the bullshit vehicle spawning behind you crap was driving me nuts. I later got it on sale on Steam when I saw that mods were a thing and BetterSpawns is one I 100% refuse to play without ever since.

Its' easily the #1 mod I will not play without ,ever.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it's not fun for you don't play, but I still think there's something really fucky with your AI. I'll be the first one to recognize the faults in this game, but looking at steam right now I'm at 182 hours, plus ~40 or so in XBGP when it first launched and I grabbed it for kinda-free, with the XBGP play being 100% vanilla, and I've never seen the AI just refuse to engage like you're describing.

gently caress, usually with objective targets I have the opposite problem, where the assholes leave it up to me to trash an entire base while I'm also trying to prioritize the more dangerous defenders.

Yeah man I literally don't know what to say. I went back and checked, and you were right that one of those AI mods has the potential to gently caress it up even worse. But I tried this same mission with the mods turned off.
I don't have mission packs, just YAML and the Biome thing with the compatibility thing.
I thought it was because I gave some of them Gauss guns they were too stingy to waste them on choppers, but no, they will absolutely shoot them down with pinpoint accuracy if there's a small number of them.
By far the most constant occurrence of this was my catapult . That thing just straight up will not shoot rockets at enemies if there's a lot of them on screen. It has no short range guns to mess up its weapon groups, just a large laser.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sample_text posted:

Yeah man I literally don't know what to say. I went back and checked, and you were right that one of those AI mods has the potential to gently caress it up even worse. But I tried this same mission with the mods turned off.
I don't have mission packs, just YAML and the Biome thing with the compatibility thing.
I thought it was because I gave some of them Gauss guns they were too stingy to waste them on choppers, but no, they will absolutely shoot them down with pinpoint accuracy if there's a small number of them.
By far the most constant occurrence of this was my catapult . That thing just straight up will not shoot rockets at enemies if there's a lot of them on screen. It has no short range guns to mess up its weapon groups, just a large laser.

My next suggestion would be to blow it all out. Delete your mod files, verify the game files on steam* and start a new campaign with it 100% bone loving stock. Go find a few missions and see if the behavior replicates.

The other thing that makes me wonder if something fucky is going on is the number of enemies you're reporting. Usually (and there's a big caveat here) you're only dealing with maybe 4-8 in sensor range at any given time, and that's including poo poo like turrets. I can think of a few individual missions with the numbers you're describing, but they tend to be campaign missions. I've also seen it happen like that a few times in base assaults where I nuke the base too hard and get the spawns that should happen at 75/50/25% etc health all happening at once. Maybe that freaks out the AI but honestly I doubt I'd know because I usually die pretty quickly to that much enemy firepower coming after my rear end at once.

*or just uninstall-reinstall and nuke everything in the install directory. Some people have lovely internet or data caps etc so do what's right for you

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sample_text posted:

I kinda did that to myself.
There's a campaign mission that has a 400 ton drop limit . My first mistake was going in with 280.
The mission has me assault a base. They tell me straight-up "Don't walk through the front door, they'll ambush you , go around".
I did go around. After a long gauntlet of lights and mediums, I reach the base from the other end...........and the game unceremoniously drops a full assault lance on my head, including A Marauder 2, which is like the one I have , but way buliker.
So I get pissed and decide to go in through the front door, because how much worse could it be than a full assault lance?
It's the exact same assault lance, but with the aforementioned 20 choppers and vtols.
The choppers LITERALLY spawn on top of you. They appear out of thin air less than 300 meters away, you can see them pop in.

Also to be clear, this isn't the reason I'm quitting. The AI loving up and refusing to shoot is. I feel that there would have been a way for me to cheese that mission by having my buddies be at the end of a long corridor and having me trigger the spawns. I figured that since the choppers are faster than the assaults, I'd just kite them into my AI and let them take them out, but it didn't work because they're gently caress-ups.

Stay in one spot and shoot at stuff that enters your weapon range is pretty basic stuff for an AI to do . The small laser turrets that pop out of the ground can do that. I don't feel like I'm asking much here......

That's one of the meatgrinder missions. It's a lot of hate in a small area, with a lot of the VTOLs directly above so you can't really shoot them.

An airstrike or two really helps on that mission to soften up the enemy lance.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've updated the mods in my MW5 install, and it seems like at least some missions throw more enemy hardware at you. It might be extra domes mod, or something else in my mod list. Not that I mind - I'm doing "Wolf's Dragoons to the max" playthrough and I gave myself a couple heavies through save editor. Also I've added a bunch of random equipment and weapons, turns out slapping Harjel and a bunch of tier 5 stuff on Marauder or Atlas makes them really really hard to take down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I just installed the latest version of battletech advanced and it's good fun, lots more stuff to find and play with, more crunchy mechanics, more poo poo to slap on your mechs, more mechs to slap poo poo onto.

I love my starting cicada, I kept it last campaign until I found a phoenix hawk LAM, even when everyone else was rocking assault mechs. The BTA changes to evasion makes mid weight fast mechs very competitive even up to the late game if you build them to max out evasion and keep them moving, they don't lose pips for being shot at so the enemy can blast away at them all day and never hit them as long as they don't get hammered with target painters, pings, or dropkicked.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 26, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
After finish both mechassault games, wow, these games kind of sucked rear end..

Way too much HP, cringe dialogue, bad missions, its very surprising to me they've got fans..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Way too much HP, cringe dialogue, bad missions, its very surprising to me they've got fans..

I thought the first one was still pretty fun and held up, but haven't been able to get MA2 to work on an emulator yet

I miss kneecapping assault mechs with a fully upgraded Uziel Belial's gauss rifles in multiplayer

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The campaign wasn't what people were that into, it was the online multiplayer at a time when consoles didn't have a lot of online multiplayer.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The campain had some cheezy, arcadey missions that were pretty fun. And the spider boss was dumb as gently caress but I vibed to it and the lovely nu-metal.

2 was overall pretty garbage compared to the first though. I hated that BA.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Don't forget there's a third Mech Assault game on the DS. It's bad, but it exists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The campain had some cheezy, arcadey missions that were pretty fun. And the spider boss was dumb as gently caress but I vibed to it and the lovely nu-metal.

Yeah I only wanted to replay 2 to see if I liked the BA any more than originally but it killed a lot of the game for me

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Cringe dialogue in a video game from 2002? Wow, who ever heard of such a thing.

I think MechAssault has fans in the "I loved that B game" way, rather than the Mechwarrior/Mercenaries "this was one of the best games of its era" way. Also it was a lot of people's first exposure to battletech. The gaming market had grown a lot, so it sold way more than Mechwarrior ever had.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's a cutscene in MechAssault 2 that is literally unfinished. When it starts up for 2-3 frames you can see a "Working copy 6/8" right at the start.

Also if you look at the bonus promo material for MechAssault 2, the advertisement cutscene contains scenes from the game that don't actually exist in the game. The intro mission was going to be very different.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Controversial opinion:

I remember the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack rocking so incredibly hard. I put it on on a lark while driving around, and it does NOT hold up IMO. I think the fact that it was mastered on the CD instead of the MIDI bleeps most games had was impressive for the time, but now it just sounds like math nerds trying to use their approach to make music as outsider art music. It's... fine but nothing I would hold up as anything more than serviceable if it was in a contemporary game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Some of the music still stands up really well, and pretty much the entirety of the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack was remixed by a creator named Timothy Seals a few years ago.

Most of the OST is only just 'ok' though, even back then. Arkham Bridge still kicks rear end though.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 26, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

Controversial opinion:

I remember the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack rocking so incredibly hard. I put it on on a lark while driving around, and it does NOT hold up IMO. I think the fact that it was mastered on the CD instead of the MIDI bleeps most games had was impressive for the time, but now it just sounds like math nerds trying to use their approach to make music as outsider art music. It's... fine but nothing I would hold up as anything more than serviceable if it was in a contemporary game.

I mean

- It rocked hard as hell for its time
- It rocks pretty well today

Klyith posted:

Cringe dialogue in a video game from 2002? Wow, who ever heard of such a thing.

I think MechAssault has fans in the "I loved that B game" way, rather than the Mechwarrior/Mercenaries "this was one of the best games of its era" way. Also it was a lot of people's first exposure to battletech. The gaming market had grown a lot, so it sold way more than Mechwarrior ever had.

I can't even find sales figures for MA2.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There was a single mission in 2 where you're working with bot tanks to take down targets which was okay. Combined arms feel.

Chainclaw posted:

The campaign wasn't what people were that into, it was the online multiplayer at a time when consoles didn't have a lot of online multiplayer.

Okay that makes sense.

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the first one was still pretty fun and held up, but haven't been able to get MA2 to work on an emulator yet

I miss kneecapping assault mechs with a fully upgraded Uziel Belial's gauss rifles in multiplayer

Oh, I just bought a refurb'd Xbox so I could play Steel Battalion on it, and I figured I'd pick up the two MA games since they cost me a few dollars. I still haven't played Steel Battalion yet. It's...daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FYI MW5 and all but one of the DLC is 50% off on Steam now.