Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just wish we could have these games on better hardware so characters wouldn't have to stand in front of low res jpgs for every cutscene/support.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ike's paralogue has a twist? Huh? I must've missed it somehow.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Got to Chapter 11.

Ch 11 spoilers going forward:

It fell pretty flat for me. I just don't care about these emblems and the game's done no work to make me care about any of them.

Like Roy and Sigurd haven't said more than two words, so who gives a poo poo if they're gone?

I suppose losing the power of the emblems is somewhat annoying but I demolished 11 on Maddening easily so I just don't think it has any real impact.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cèliene’s post kill dialogue is so condescending. She just one shot a mage with a fireball through a window.

“I want to help you.”

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Celine doesn't look like it but she's actually ice cold. Her Alear support chain is great, as is her Fogado one.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone else find Amber kind of annoying?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How do you get the gems to power up emblem weapons? I'm up to chapter 16 and I still haven't gotten a single one.

Junpei posted:

Yes which is why he is permanently benched.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you get them from the tower of trials, but those trials are insanely long

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh there you go I haven't even touched the tower out of fear it might give me the same brainworms the tower in FE8 did.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Tempest Trials give piss XP and the rewards don't seem good, I doubt it'll grab you in the same way

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ike's paralogue has a twist? Huh? I must've missed it somehow.

Well, "twist"

Him demolishing the entire fort was really good and caught me off guard extremely hard

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah I think they're just there as a sort of "just play Fire Emblem for a bit without worrying about breaking the game" mode.

RuBisCO posted:

Well, "twist"

Him demolishing the entire fort was really good and caught me off guard extremely hard

What. Man that sounds cool, didn't happen for me. Probably because I played too aggressive and actually had people nearby to fight him when he started acting.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah I think they're just there as a sort of "just play Fire Emblem for a bit without worrying about breaking the game" mode.

What. Man that sounds cool, didn't happen for me. Probably because I played too aggressive and actually had people nearby to fight him when he started acting.

Ohhh,

Yeah in all the Emblem Paralogues, they eventually start moving in on you after enough turns. Ike runs to the back of the fort and destroys the whole rear end thing.

Really funny considering the context of that map in FE9.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Junpei posted:

Every now and then I run past him or scroll past him in the inventory and get jumpscared

Ah! You're in this game?!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Also shoutout to the Byleth paralogue that

has two warp staff priests that chain warp an enemy unit a billion spaces away and to start wailing on crystals

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Campy fun is exactly what it is. And the few moments so far when the story actually tries to be serious land pretty well, though I think a lot of that is on the quality of the acting in those scenes. The acting can be kinda flat sometimes, but when things get serious, everyone steps up really well.

Sounds good. Once I recalibrated my expectations for anime the game on the stream felt a lot like Awakening, which I did enjoy, so I'll probably pick it up once I finish my current Three Hopes campaign.

I am curious how viable thief Alear will be. It's kinda been a thing for me since Awakening to make the PC for my first run a thief, and it looks like Alear can pick up the requisite proficiency from Lief or Micaiah.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think we'll view the characters more favorably as we unlock more supports. For example I just unlocked Celine/Alcryst C support and it added quite a bit more context to the Alfred and his obsession with muscles. Some of the bond conversations are just delightfully dumb and pointless. The Roy/Louis one is just Louis going "Did you notice that our names are both vowels bookended by consonants" and Roy going "Huh I never noticed that. That's cool. "

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RuBisCO posted:

has two warp staff priests that chain warp an enemy unit a billion spaces away and to start wailing on crystals

Man, I keep missing this stuff because of my incredibly aggressive playstyle. I killed one of the warp staff priests before they activated so they only got to warp one unit a moderate distance which was easy enough to deal with. Finished the map with every crystal still up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the tower of trials and engage weapon upgrade materials seem to exist mostly as a postgame endless grind type of thing, and the way you create a maximally powerful team to win outrealm trials with. the engage weapons are all decently powerful to begin with so i don't see much reason to grind it out during the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I am curious how viable thief Alear will be. It's kinda been a thing for me since Awakening to make the PC for my first run a thief, and it looks like Alear can pick up the requisite proficiency from Lief or Micaiah.

Proficiencies are trivial to gain so yeah as long as you can afford the second seals there's no reason not to experiment. Personally I love Alear in their default class because once promoted they get martial arts access and being a punchlord is a lot of fun. But Thieves are crazy strong and even in his default (promoted) class my Alear is an excellent dodge tank so I imagine you could make a great thief Alear.

Amppelix posted:

the tower of trials and engage weapon upgrade materials seem to exist mostly as a postgame endless grind type of thing, and the way you create a maximally powerful team to win outrealm trials with. the engage weapons are all decently powerful to begin with so i don't see much reason to grind it out during the game.

I'm kinda glad there's something to do "postgame" this time around. It's not something I always want but sometimes I get to the end of a Fire Emblem game and get a little sad there isn't more that I can do with my carefully-trained team of extremely efficient murderers. The idea that there are just some optional battles on the side I can go do if I want to play around with my endgame level team (when I get there) is nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Side note: as a devoted cat person, I must say that the advantages to having five dogs running around your farmyard is too good to pass up. I just came back from a battle and found three silver ingots just sitting there. A yard full of dogs = never worrying about upgrade materials again.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

RuBisCO posted:

Ok, this poo poo caught me off guard and I sort of love the game for it.

How dare you use player strategies against the player! I wanted to get perfect crystals so had to reset when I had one of the Generals suddenly teleport and destroy one of the crystals.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fire Emblem Engage: Has no Assassins.
Also Fire Emblem Engage: We have Assassin at home

I'm sure that crit rate can be further optimized. I got the lethality ring and it procs quite often.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

But if you give her the Lethality ring you can't give her Corrin's ring so she can constantly dispense fog wherever she goes!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Infinity Gaia posted:

But if you give her the Lethality ring you can't give her Corrin's ring so she can constantly dispense fog wherever she goes!

I mostly wanted to try it out to see how often it triggers with crits. Sadly no funky special animation. Also not sure how much Tiki boosts growth rates but I got my first perfect level up.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Do the terrain bonuses apply for enemy units on them too?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RuBisCO posted:

Do the terrain bonuses apply for enemy units on them too?

Yeah, it just makes actual terrain. The negative effects also apply if you have one of your units stand in fire. But Yunaka benefits way more from fog than any enemy that steps in it so its fine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FrickenMoron posted:

Fire Emblem Engage: Has no Assassins.
Also Fire Emblem Engage: We have Assassin at home

I'm sure that crit rate can be further optimized. I got the lethality ring and it procs quite often.

Yunaka is absolutely bonkers and I have no idea what IntSys thought they were doing with her. She is the per-eminent murder machine of my team and it's not even really all that close. Bonus points for re-classing her to wolf knight where she still gets to keep her insanely broken forged daggers while also getting a ton of extra move.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

God, I'm crippled with decision paralysis after chapter 8. On reclassing had no problem, just put Jean as a Lance fighter (since there's apparently no natural users of the class? wtf IS) and Anna a Mage.

But on forges and Master Seals I'm overwhelmed, I'd like to get some magic/Killer weapons but also forge a super powerful dagger or smth. And promoting at 10 means 80% of my army can promote and I'm not sure who to upgrade besides Louis and Chloe. I'm a weak being :negative:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
They thought they would give the player a cute girl that murders everything, op

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Sydin posted:

Yunaka is absolutely bonkers and I have no idea what IntSys thought they were doing with her. She is the per-eminent murder machine of my team and it's not even really all that close. Bonus points for re-classing her to wolf knight where she still gets to keep her insanely broken forged daggers while also getting a ton of extra move.

It's awesome that they made the cute thief girl OP and they should do it all the time

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Everyone is talking about how fast their crew rotates with new characters, or that the starting Firenese crew sucks, when should I start feeling comfortable using stat boosters on people I won't just abandon for later joins with better bases?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

God, I'm crippled with decision paralysis after chapter 8. On reclassing had no problem, just put Jean as a Lance fighter (since there's apparently no natural users of the class? wtf IS) and Anna a Mage.

There’s a unique lord that’s a lance footsoldier with the backup skill but no generic Lance Fighter class afaik.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At some point my entire army became cute murder girls. Alfred was literally the only dude left when Timerra showed up and at that point I figured I might as well go all in and had him hit the bench. Sorry himbo prince, you're cute, but thematically inconsistent.

E: Also I have yet to recruit a lance fighter, but I can't be the only one to notice that Mauvier has a personal skill, unlike the other hounds.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I fully intend on playing without a bench. It sounds like this is going to involve an inhuman amount of micromanaging my emblems, though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

But on forges and Master Seals I'm overwhelmed, I'd like to get some magic/Killer weapons but also forge a super powerful dagger or smth. And promoting at 10 means 80% of my army can promote and I'm not sure who to upgrade besides Louis and Chloe. I'm a weak being :negative:

It’s hosed up, Lance infantry is objectively the sickest class line in the series and I hate how rare it is

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Now I have an Anna. Ho ho ho.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sigurd's paralogue map is the best thing I have ever played, hands-down.

In the second half, like 3 dozen soldiers flood out of his castle and start marching towards yours. Except Sigurd has such bonkers movement that you can easily line up some of your defensive units and he'll charge way ahead of his gigantic army and Override right into your team. And then if you box in your units, he can't Canter back out.

I can't believe I'm about to commit a FE4 on this man again :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Syrnn posted:

Everyone is talking about how fast their crew rotates with new characters, or that the starting Firenese crew sucks, when should I start feeling comfortable using stat boosters on people I won't just abandon for later joins with better bases?

Give all of them to Alear if you have anxiety about it, having the one unit you *always* need to deploy strong is a good thing.

Also just finished Ch17. Very long map and had to play carefully and use a few rewinds on hard. Definitely a jump after the easy previous chapters.

Edit: I need to bench Diamant, he just didn't have good enough levelups to keep him around, he got outclassed by his brother of all things.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 24, 2023