Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Its been the Hall of Very Good for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Glad to see two Blue Jays making the HOF now put in Stieb

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
burn the writers' guild at the stake collectively

a real big stake painted to look like a bottle of androstenedione

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Rolen meets all four of JAWS' criteria.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why did Jeter quit that ownership group anyways?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you go though and look at the history, nearly all the worst HoF inductees were thanks to the various bullshit committees over the years. Baines, Morris, Rizzuto, etc etc.

In general the writers have maintained the 60 WAR rule-of-thumb pretty well.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's just the hall of guys who were nice to sports writers

Like imagine how far up your own rear end you have to be to vote for Rolen but not Manny or Arod

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The voters are nimrods but I'm glad Rolen's in.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Choosing to be happy Rolen got in instead of upset that other more deserving candidates didn't.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Looking forward to mcmagic's take on Beltre next year not being worthy.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Huston Street and Mike Napoli each got a vote :laffo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

habeasdorkus posted:

Looking forward to mcmagic's take on Beltre next year not being worthy.

Beltre was better than Rolen. He also had 3k hits so he's automatic

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Choosing to be happy Rolen got in instead of upset that other more deserving candidates didn't.

You're not doing internet right

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1618031057500262402

vote in Billy the Kid you monsters

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is only Helton's 5th year, he should make it next year. And Wagner's got two more years, he's got a good shot too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

btw if you want to get mad at the BBWAA, get mad at the people who continue to vote for Omar Vizquel despite not being worthy on the field AND having very serious sexual assault and child abuse charges against him.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
also as an addendum to just generally hating them on principle, Billy Wagner not getting in specifically is inexcusably stupid

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Billy Wagner is HOF-worthy

Source:
Me as a child, watching his incredible flame-filled Enter Sandman entrance video on the Astrodome Jumbotron

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Rolen isn't a borderline guy and is better than a lot of guys who got in right away

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Rolen isn't a borderline guy and is better than a lot of guys who got in right away

It's about the players they *don't* put in

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

mcmagic posted:

Arod and Manny getting under 40% lol the writers are such shitheads.

I wish they would realize that probably a third of their favorite players were probably on steroids. Sometimes i want to believe it's not true but then i look up stats of players from about 1998 to 2004. Guys coming in tenth place in MVP votes would be slam dunk number 1 or 2 in a current year. I'm not trying to really stick up for the players but at some point you have to include the best of the best. That's all i really care about. Don't even get me started about how most pitchers get a pass, except Clemons.

Just to be clear i know many writers go by the criteria of the Mitchell report and any positive tests. I can look at the stat lines of my favorite team between 1998 and 2004 and tell you it was a ton of players. Full disclosure, my Favorite team has always been the Braves. Thanks TBS. I go look on baseball reference sometimes at those years and am utterly floored by the stats of guys who i just remember being just above average. This is my favorite team!

Edit. If Bonds never gets in it's ridiculous. I never rooted for him but he for sure was the best player i have ever seen live. I have watched baseball since the 70's.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 25, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I loved Blyleven's response to not getting in one year. "Life goes on. The dog still poops on the lawn."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Helton and Wagner seem like they’ll get in the next two years unless the ballots get crowded with too many “not first time ballot” guys and writers get dumber. Sheffield and Andruw Jones seem like they made good gains too? Probably too far away tp be sure but they seem in the running based on the general rate of gain stuff.

I’ve decided the steroid guys are just gonna all get thrown in at once 10-15 years from now by some “You’ve All Paid Your Public Penance So Now We’ll Lump You All Together and Throw You In There” committee.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don’t give a poo poo about the HoF. Rolen is whatever.

My hottest HoF take is that the guy who left Jeter off the ballot so he would not get an unanimous election is a national hero.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I’ve decided the steroid guys are just gonna all get thrown in at once 10-15 years from now by some “You’ve All Paid Your Public Penance So Now We’ll Lump You All Together and Throw You In There” committee.
I think it will be longer than that, we might have to wait for GenX to age out of influence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

davecrazy posted:

No idea. There have been multiple rumors but nothing solid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry for the knee jerk negative reaction to rolen. 1. He hated my home town. 2. I guess that is understandable it is a poo poo hole 3. I forgot that he was excellent into his mid 30s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I think it will be longer than that, we might have to wait for GenX to age out of influence.

Yeah there's a solid core of older voters and committee members who are never going to vote for anybody who's even tacitly connected to roids, let alone somebody who's been popped. Not that it's a strictly generational divide, but the recognition that the steroid era was more complex than the "morally bankrupt players cheated and destroyed the sanctity of the game this whole time how could MLB ever have known" narrative that was popular in the immediate fallout seems to be increasing. Gonna take a while for that to be the consensus though, let alone reach a threshold to get a guy like Bonds into the hall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

No idea. There have been multiple rumors but nothing solid.

The standing rumor is that he quit because Sherman wouldn't let him spend money.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Harold Reynolds on the MLB Network giving LaRussa credit for Rolen's success even though he put more fWAR as a Phillie (Philly?) than as a Cardinal. The collective boner the entire league still has for LaRussa is amazing.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I like Scott Rolen a lot and I’m happy he made it, but he being the only person elected this year with some of the other names on the ballot is very weird. He’s definitely not the best player on this year’s ballot, not even close.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

davecrazy posted:

My hottest HoF take is that the guy who left Jeter off the ballot so he would not get an unanimous election is a national hero.

:hellyeah:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BigDumper posted:

I like Scott Rolen a lot and I’m happy he made it, but he being the only person elected this year with some of the other names on the ballot is very weird. He’s definitely not the best player on this year’s ballot, not even close.

I mean we’ve basically established that the vote isn’t really about “the best guys on the ballot”. It’s either “first ballot” guys or guys who have to “earn” their way in by years of gradually growing support. It’s dumb but it’s what it is. It’s all silly message votes.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I mean we’ve basically established that the vote isn’t really about “the best guys on the ballot”. It’s either “first ballot” guys or guys who have to “earn” their way in by years of gradually growing support. It’s dumb but it’s what it is. It’s all silly message votes.

Let’s improve the pace of play for the HoF process and give the writers votes for each player. None of this strategic voting junk, you vote yes or no for everyone on the ballot and save everyone some time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I still have my Party At Napoli's shirt so I'm glad he got a vote because I totally would have done it too

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

davecrazy posted:

Ownership sent him a gift basket for his hard work and he got confused.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

davecrazy posted:

I don’t give a poo poo about the HoF. Rolen is whatever.

i like the theory that it was some guy that didn't realize jeter was on the ballot and submitted a blank one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYYankees/comments/s689d9/hall_of_fame_voter_nick_canepa_appears_to_be_the/

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

i like the theory that it was some guy that didn't realize jeter was on the ballot and submitted a blank one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYYankees/comments/s689d9/hall_of_fame_voter_nick_canepa_appears_to_be_the/

Canepa is a San Diego guy and a complete dinosaur idiot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'd put Helton in before Rolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'd put Helton in before Rolen.
Rolen won a shitload of Gold Gloves at a premium position