Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
DMC3 is as close to a perfect action game as I think I've ever seen. The blob boss was stupid and if you play as Vergil you don't fight Dante at the end, and I think those are literally the only complaints I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Every time I play a new action game I keep hoping it will be as fun and satisfyingly challenging as DMC3 and it never is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vic posted:

Amiga was amazing for strategy games, adventure games and simulators. Basically the better PC for gaming before Windows 95.

I actually think the PC rushed past the Amiga once the 486s hit it big which is a few years before Win95. The Amiga was hot poo poo in terms of tech in 1988 but it stagnated there.

Of course, in terms of games the Amiga was damned by being linked to European game designers in their isolated Galopagos, evolving into strange forms that could only survive in their tiny ecological niche. A stange realm where pressing up to jump was acceptable and where if you couldn't make a good game you made five lovely games and linked them together with some pretty screens.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Random Stranger posted:

You can also get carts that let you run disk images right from the Saturn's expansion slot or play games you imported. There's a lot of cool Saturn stuff that didn't get a US release that's perfectly playable without knowing Japanese...

I got a premodded system with the MODE & a 1 TB HDD, but the poo poo is hard mounted and I don't know how to interface with it. It's really cool to have all the games but I wanted to play some translated games & have no idea how i'm 'sposed to add them.

Can you please recommend a cart that does what you say & what kinda price I should be looking for?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
so happy to hear so many positive comments about the devil may cry series in this thread

so gutted that i've broken my 24 day streak of not smoking weed and am now just gonna get mashed up and play league of legends all week

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should play a good game instead

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Blazing Dragons is a funny game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jokes posted:

You should play a good game instead

bro it was either league or dmc 2 i was losing no matter what

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shartle May Fart

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kntfkr posted:

Blazing Dragons is a funny game.

blazing dragons is a funny game but it has kind of a stupid puzzle with some pixel hunting at the end

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I only play Catechumen, the Christian FPS game where you shoot light beams from a cross-like sword at Romans and they fall to their knees converted as a "HALLELUJAH" sound byte plays

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I made none of that up btw

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm glad you clarified, as it did sound like hyperbole.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Timestamped for ur enjoyment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo6yhzNCwqo&t=129s

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
lol that to heal you need to eat scrolls that put bible quote popups on your screen

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
That bit in a crpg where you get a house and then must make a sequence of challenging decisions like ‘do you want to make it lovely for 50 gold or really good for 15000 gold’ is extremely good and any game that doesn’t include it is an automatic 1/5

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've played DMC4 + 5 a lot, as well as Bayonetta 1+2. I've never got into DMC3 because I'm so, so used to how stuff works in the more recent games. I can't style switch! What the hell!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lol that to heal you need to eat scrolls that put bible quote popups on your screen

Lol yeah. Whats extra funny is that's the same hallelujah soundbyte they used in Worms with holy hand grenade, it's just not as sped up

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Virtual Pinball sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7P1rMIgCI

I prefer getting physical with the machine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

well why not posted:

I've played DMC4 + 5 a lot, as well as Bayonetta 1+2. I've never got into DMC3 because I'm so, so used to how stuff works in the more recent games. I can't style switch! What the hell!

they added style switching for the switch port of DMC3, and there's a mod for the PC version that hacks it in

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Why does dmc2 suck? I never played one or two so I have no frame of reference beyond the third one. But the core gameplay seems like it was pretty great already

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Why does dmc2 suck? I never played one or two so I have no frame of reference beyond the third one. But the core gameplay seems like it was pretty great already

All I remember from DMC2 was one level that took place on an oil rig out in the ocean. Then once Dante finishes the stage he just jumps onto a motor cycle and drives off screen. After that the next level starts at like an office building in the middle of a big city with no further explanation.

The whole game was filled with disjointed stuff like that which was a huge downgrade for me at least compared the single castle location of the first game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

The thing that gets me with assassins creed is that they picked that for the name, built a bunch of stealth mechanics into their game, and then fell in love with their incredibly lovely combat system. The final boss of the first game was a giant combat gauntlet with zero of the stealth stuff and not, i dunno hear me out here, a dude that its really hard to sneak to and assassinate. It only got more prominent from there and the open combat in those games was so, so bad.

This is a time honored tradition of AAA "stealth" games. Like even if you're playing a perfect stealth game in MGS3 you're still going to wind up standing in the back of a technical shooting a machine gun

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

QuarkJets posted:

This is a time honored tradition of AAA "stealth" games. Like even if you're playing a perfect stealth game in MGS3 you're still going to wind up standing in the back of a technical shooting a machine gun

The Dishonored games did stealth very well, and are really good and everyone should play them

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The most intense stealth game ever made was FFXI

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Increasing the level cap as a paladin means I never need to play another stealth game as long as I live

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vakal posted:

All I remember from DMC2 was one level that took place on an oil rig out in the ocean. Then once Dante finishes the stage he just jumps onto a motor cycle and drives off screen. After that the next level starts at like an office building in the middle of a big city with no further explanation.

The whole game was filled with disjointed stuff like that which was a huge downgrade for me at least compared the single castle location of the first game.

The biggest complaint I've heard is they really toned down the difficulty of the first game. I mean, I kind of get it because DMC1's difficulty was a big draw. But at the same time, it attracted a lot of those "the game has to be hard or it's for bitches" types who scream "git gud" at people. These are the same people who overreact over vidya games and can be found on IGN's Facebook page in their natural environment. DMC2 isn't a broken and lovely game just a creative misdirection that gets way more hate than it should but it's the Great Satan to that crowd.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nom epique posted:

Good news. You can still play 20 year old games on Xbox series x. In fact that’s all you can play. This is haled as a victory by the Xbox thread

I got a Series X basically specifically for playing old games (because it can fit all I have). It's p great. If I want to play a new game I use my PS5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DMC2 has lots of broken and lovely stuff though. Theres a boss whose AI just turns off, enemies who lack any attack tells, combat design that rewards holding the shoot button over interacting with any other mechanic. Its got interesting stuff about it but it is very obviously a game that was salvaged in the 8(?) month design sprint to shove it out the door when the new producer got hired.

Im glad it exists though, cause getting it out the door is why Phoenix Wright got to exist.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

The biggest complaint I've heard is they really toned down the difficulty of the first game. I mean, I kind of get it because DMC1's difficulty was a big draw. But at the same time, it attracted a lot of those "the game has to be hard or it's for bitches" types who scream "git gud" at people. These are the same people who overreact over vidya games and can be found on IGN's Facebook page in their natural environment. DMC2 isn't a broken and lovely game just a creative misdirection that gets way more hate than it should but it's the Great Satan to that crowd.

Lmao it's 100% a broken and lovely game. You can go through the whole thing just with pistol spam, the visuals are significantly worse than DMC1, the progression is completely linear, the story/setting make zero sense, and an average first playthrough clocks in at about 5 hours. Have you actually played this game, or are you just trying to paint the criticism as gamer elitism because it feels like an enlightened opinion?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dr.Smasher posted:

Thief and Thief 2 did stealth extremely well, and are really good and everyone should play them

FTFY

e:Dishonored is pretty good but almost unplayable without Blink; it's not really a stealth game like Thief was.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 25, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

The stealth section was having to not let anyone irl find out that you play it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The stealth section was having to not let anyone irl find out that you play it

Lol are you kidding, playing FFXI is ultimate nerd cred. Catgirls want me, catboys want to be me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The thing with thief though, is that it was from the quick save era. You could have a ponderous sprawling stealth game like that, and it was fine because you only went as far back as necessary on failure. I found dishonoured 2 pretty exhausting in that regard. But then again, I was playing on console, I bet you actually CAN quick save on pc?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Devils Affricate posted:

Lol are you kidding, playing FFXI is ultimate nerd cred. Catgirls want me, catboys want to be me.

"hey bby i grinded my goldsmithing proficiency back in the days when basic crafting components were a 1/64 drop"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

DMC2 has lots of broken and lovely stuff though. Theres a boss whose AI just turns off, enemies who lack any attack tells, combat design that rewards holding the shoot button over interacting with any other mechanic. Its got interesting stuff about it but it is very obviously a game that was salvaged in the 8(?) month design sprint to shove it out the door when the new producer got hired.

Im glad it exists though, cause getting it out the door is why Phoenix Wright got to exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34JMNANd_8M

This is a good video from AccountNightmare's DMC2 LP that explains why DMC2 is such a bad game.

The reason it turned out like that is because Capcom greenlit the game before DMC1 released without Kamiya even knowing about it, so it was made by a completely different team. The game was still missing some of Dante's basic moves just a few months before release. Itsuno was brought in as director to make it actually shippable and the original director is still unknown outside of Capcom to this day.

The fact that the same team went on to make DMC3 shows how important a good director is.

I haven't heard about how it ties into Phoenix Wright though. Do you have an article about it?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tango alpha delta posted:

FTFY

e:Dishonored is pretty good but almost unplayable without Blink; it's not really a stealth game like Thief was.

Dishonored is basically a thief sequel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It's very brown and boring. Like a lot of the game is just running down brown corridors, much like my posting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I haven't heard about how it ties into Phoenix Wright though. Do you have an article about it?

My bad, it was Capcoms hosed up handling of RE2 in a similar way that led to Phoenix Wright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

!Klams posted:

The thing with thief though, is that it was from the quick save era. You could have a ponderous sprawling stealth game like that, and it was fine because you only went as far back as necessary on failure. I found dishonoured 2 pretty exhausting in that regard. But then again, I was playing on console, I bet you actually CAN quick save on pc?

If I remember right you can quicksave in Dishonored and D2 on PC and I totally get why you'd be frustrated on console. A stealth game that doesn't allow you to save quickly and anywhere is rear end because a big part of stealth gameplay is experimentation and you've gotta be able to make mistakes to learn what you can and can't get away with.

Dishonored also differs from Thief because Corvo and Emily are killbots, Garret was kind of fragile and not a swordsman.