Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got my revenge on Ike just now. I baited him into attacking Kagetsu who is a general with the hammer and he got doubled and double crit in return and died before he could do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Do you really need the Nintendo premium online to use the online features in this game? I definitely have the base online sub but it won't let me connect and sends me to the eshop.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've got the one thats 3.99 per month, and I think thats the base one? You don't miss out much, the most fun feature, relays, is broken currently and only works via code and not randomly.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

So I'm on chapter 13 and my Anna, Chloe and Lapis have all rolled 7 Def, my Etie has rolled 5 Def and my Citrinne has rolled 3 Def - they are basically all getting one shot by most enemies now. They are around the level 12-13 mark (so according to the mission guidance, like 2 levels underleveled) and I've been trying to cycle the weaker units into battle however they're basically getting no exp any more because I need to set up turns for them to even start getting exp. I kinda hate benching characters, but is there any way to salvage them?

they give you better etie and (two) better lapises, one of which is also a better anna (diamant). chloe isn't replaceable in the same way but a pegasus knight having 7 def isn't a death sentence because you have so much more tactical flexibility with their positioning.

also just as a reminder - one that a lot of people are going to need - promote at level 10 in this game. the way experience is tracked doesn't penalize you for promoting, so it's always correct to promote as soon as possible unless you are so hard up on money that the extra seals you'll need twenty chapters from now are an issue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ungulateman posted:

they give you better etie and (two) better lapises, one of which is also a better anna (diamant). chloe isn't replaceable in the same way but a pegasus knight having 7 def isn't a death sentence because you have so much more tactical flexibility with their positioning.

Also Chloe can dodge tank no problem

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If i had to pick one thing, only one, that I want them to bring into future games, it'd be the Obstruct staff. I love it so much.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like the break system to come back too. The break staff saved my attempt on chapter 17 by letting me break Zephia without having an appropiate weapon nearby.

Edit: Panette continues being really good.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 25, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want the Break system and the class types to stick around. They're both great additions to game that enhance mechanics that were already there in cool and fun ways.

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

So I'm on chapter 13 and my Anna, Chloe and Lapis have all rolled 7 Def, my Etie has rolled 5 Def and my Citrinne has rolled 3 Def - they are basically all getting one shot by most enemies now. They are around the level 12-13 mark (so according to the mission guidance, like 2 levels underleveled) and I've been trying to cycle the weaker units into battle however they're basically getting no exp any more because I need to set up turns for them to even start getting exp. I kinda hate benching characters, but is there any way to salvage them?

If you want to keep using Anna, try making her a Mage. She has garbage Str growth but the highest natural Mag growth in the game. Plus it lets her fight at range much more consistently. Then promote her to Mage Knight and stick a Levin Sword in her hand.

That said you're at a point where you're probably better off benching some people, since you're being given strong units like every other chapter right now. I found it hard to keep using Etie after getting Alcryst and Fogado, and hard to use Lapis after I got Diamant and Kagetsu. I could do extra skirmishes to grind them up but without that they just kinda naturally fell behind, unfortunate as that is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m getting the sense that hard is tuned for you to use new recruits over older units, as the stat creep is getting to be a lot for units with prior investment who haven’t hit good levels consistently.

That means Run 2 is going to be on Normal to try a bunch of weird poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really the only earlier game units who feel fundamentally doomed to warm the bench are Boucheron and Lapis. Everyone else has a pretty strong chance to keep up if you keep using them. Boucheron just kinda gets outclassed early on, and Lapis has the unfortunate fate of being introduced precisely one chapter before a royal who does everything she does much better right off the bat. That's not to say Boucheron and Lapis are unusable, even on Maddening, just that using them is likely to be a conscious choice and not because they turned out so strong that they feel too valuable to replace.

Etie's around the same level, too, just because she has such a hard time getting Speed and Alcryst shows up with such good stats. Not sure if she's quite as doomed as Lapis but she does seem destined to be outclassed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair not all of the prepromotes are good. i dont know what's going on with bunet, and rosado almost seems est-adjacent with his fairly mediocre bases but good growths. i guess that'd make him a less extreme version of fe9 shinon.

but seriously, look at bunet's stats when you second seal him. what.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Beat chapter 11 last night

lol that Alear’s reaction was the same as mine. “Hey my rings! Give ‘em back! My cheat crystal! Give that back!”

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of mid-game recruits: Hortensia. I took one look at her stats, with her high Speed and Dex but pretty low Str and Mag for her level, and decided I'd rather use Ivy and Chloe as my fliers, but am I missing out? Does she have a niche I didn't notice right away? It's only been a handful of chapters so she's not so far behind that she couldn't catch up if I start using her. Maybe she's meant to be your dodge tank flier if Chloe didn't turn out?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
my chloé has gently caress all strength, is that standard or was I unlucky? figured maybe she wouldn't get much because pegs tend to be fast rather than strong but everyone raves that she's incredible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Speaking of mid-game recruits: Hortensia. I took one look at her stats, with her high Speed and Dex but pretty low Str and Mag for her level, and decided I'd rather use Ivy and Chloe as my fliers, but am I missing out? Does she have a niche I didn't notice right away? It's only been a handful of chapters so she's not so far behind that she couldn't catch up if I start using her. Maybe she's meant to be your dodge tank flier if Chloe didn't turn out?
shes a flying staffbot. her personal skill gives her heal staves +1 range, and her promoted class has a dex% chance to not use up a staff charge when she uses it. her dex is really good, so on average she can extract 2-3 more uses out of things like warp. she combos really well with micaiah, since by the time you have hortensia and micaiah you don't really need to make yunaka or whoever a healer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

shes a flying staffbot. her personal skill gives her heal staves +1 range, and her promoted class has a dex% chance to not use up a staff charge when she uses it. her dex is really good, so on average she can extract 2-3 more uses out of things like warp.

:stare:

Okay yeah that's what I was missing

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm in chapter 16 and I just had one of my units (Vander) die for the first time. Is that worth repeating the whole battle over or will I be fine?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

You'll be fine if you don't, redo it if you like him. Personally speaking I wouldn't do poo poo for vander lol.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Spermando posted:

I'm in chapter 16 and I just had one of my units (Vander) die for the first time. Is that worth repeating the whole battle over or will I be fine?

You've had a time rewind crystal for 13 chapters now.

Edit: Vander doesn't even die for real, right? since he has a speaking role in some cutscenes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

In addition, you don't really need a lot of magic. Like yeah she's a slightly less offense oriented Ivy but that's still enough to kill a lot of enemies. Flying magic is really really good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really like to grind in Fire Emblem games but I'm glad skirmishes exist in this one because there are so many characters I want to use and I can't deploy them all in story battles and paralogues. I've only done a couple skirmishes but so far I'm using them to get a bit of extra EXP on units I haven't used in a couple chapters so that I could deploy them in a story/paralogue battle if I want to. It's kinda nice having a deep bench.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hortensia has S rank staves so she's a flying healer, pretty useful.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My Etie is just ludicrously strong. Sure she can't really double, but she does her job of one tapping fliers at 100% accuracy and has 30% crit rate with a longbow for everyone else. That consistently is very meaningful when Alcryst had to double to do that and he likes getting hit even less than her and Fogado did not impress at all, so I haven't bothered using a master seal to try and promote him. Also the real Lapis killer is just Kagetsu whose bases feel broken as hell.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
is it just me or are tempest trials concentrated rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim posted:

is it just me or are tempest trials concentrated rear end
they take approximately 10000 years

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

I don't really like to grind in Fire Emblem games but I'm glad skirmishes exist in this one because there are so many characters I want to use and I can't deploy them all in story battles and paralogues. I've only done a couple skirmishes but so far I'm using them to get a bit of extra EXP on units I haven't used in a couple chapters so that I could deploy them in a story/paralogue battle if I want to. It's kinda nice having a deep bench.

I'm really frustrated by Maddening because of this. There's just not enough experience in the story chapters to maintain a squad of early characters and you've got skirmishes turned off, so no catchup there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

Really the only earlier game units who feel fundamentally doomed to warm the bench are Boucheron and Lapis. Everyone else has a pretty strong chance to keep up if you keep using them. Boucheron just kinda gets outclassed early on, and Lapis has the unfortunate fate of being introduced precisely one chapter before a royal who does everything she does much better right off the bat. That's not to say Boucheron and Lapis are unusable, even on Maddening, just that using them is likely to be a conscious choice and not because they turned out so strong that they feel too valuable to replace.

Etie's around the same level, too, just because she has such a hard time getting Speed and Alcryst shows up with such good stats. Not sure if she's quite as doomed as Lapis but she does seem destined to be outclassed.

I found a good niche for Lapis by making her a griffon knight, but then I eventually realized that griffon knight just has insanely good base stats for some reason. Like well ahead of any other promoted class.

You could probably put anyone short of Vander on a lion bird if you really want to use them, and they'll do just fine.

E: Well, unless they really want to use bows or tomes; I got non-garbage speed on Etie but I had to bench her because 35/12/8 defenses at level 25 are just unforgivable.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 25, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I found a good niche for Lapis by making her a griffon knight, but then I eventually realized that griffon knight just has insanely good base stats for some reason. Like well ahead of any other promoted class.
the single weapon type classes have higher bases to compensate for only having a single weapon type, and i guess since they arent really part of the break triangle, daggers/staves also get counted. because wolf knight also has pretty wild bases.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As I go into the midgame, the number one thing I miss is Byleth's iron stomach because I desperately want more support points but the arena is too random (and you only get three attempts per map) and you can only get one meal per map.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but Griffon Knight has significantly higher bases than even those, and is in particular better than swordmaster in every stat, except speed and defense, which is equal, and build, where swordmaster wins by a single point.

Like yeah swordmaster gets backup, but it's also significantly worse than hero for that and does not get a cool skill or good stats to compensate.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Eimi posted:

As I go into the midgame, the number one thing I miss is Byleth's iron stomach because I desperately want more support points but the arena is too random (and you only get three attempts per map) and you can only get one meal per map.

If you enter a tempest trial at Somniel and get wiped it counts as a battle passed and you can eat /arena again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of single weapon type classes, does Paladin have anything to recommend it this time around? Its growths aren't bad but other than that I have a hard time figuring out why I'd go Paladin over Wolf Knight for an offensive mounted unit, or Great Knight for a tankier one. Even just having access to a second weapon type seems really valuable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh hey whats up with these random mages having 3 / 2 extra life bars? Oh my god it hurts, help.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Funky Valentine posted:

Holy poo poo I'm tearing my hair out at Chapter 5 on hard, there's three more archers than there really needs to be and everyone except for Louis is made of loving tissue paper.

Alright I solved my conundrum with excessive use of the Obstruct staff and having Vander and Boucheron Benny Hill the axe dudes and Riderslayer armor guy around down south.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

FrickenMoron posted:

Oh hey whats up with these random mages having 3 / 2 extra life bars? Oh my god it hurts, help.

If that's the paralogue I think it is then those guys are there to gently caress up people who clear the entire map and nothing else.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They're also a reference to something that happens in the map the paralogue is based on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FrickenMoron posted:

It's a reference to an event on the original map, where two of the final bosses would decide to show up early, kill one of your units, and peace out. They'd also leave if you took one of them down to half health, but that's easier said than done. It's a good callback.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I beat them but it took a few rewinds to set up a good kill on one of them before dismantling the other.

Also whoever came up with the bait override and trap Sigurd in a single empty square thing, good thinking.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I don't know if it's my Lapis or what but she is easily one of my most reliable units on Hard. Promoted her into Swordmaster, dodge engraved a forged Killing Edge, stuck, Lyn to her and she consistently faces 0% hit rate enemies. She's one of like three of my units that can consistently chokepoint enemies without dying.

Though, I do really like how you have to be super aware of enemy Backup types, since chain attacks ignore both defence and avoid. Really makes Corrin's Pair Up skill very useful for tanking once they just pile enemies onto you. My poor Jade has gotten dogpiled to death by enemy Heroes before I realized this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Late-game spoiler question with Emblems:

When do I get my beginning emblems back? I just beat chapter 16.