Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

After decades of true crime TV shows and 15+ years of podcasts, does anyone know of any "missing" people that have finally surfaced after being the topic of an episode? In most cases it's probably unlikely, but maybe something like someone hitchhiked their way across the US to escape their current situation whatever that may have been just to change names and stay on the down low?

I know Americas Most Wanted found a few. Like John List, the family annihilator. They had pretty much given up on finding that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kirk Vikernes posted:

After decades of true crime TV shows and 15+ years of podcasts, does anyone know of any "missing" people that have finally surfaced after being the topic of an episode? In most cases it's probably unlikely, but maybe something like someone hitchhiked their way across the US to escape their current situation whatever that may have been just to change names and stay on the down low?

Unsolved Mysteries has an ~20% solve rate, though it’s unclear how much that can be directly attributed to their efforts, and the number likely improves once you drop the ghosts, UFOs, etc.:

Some content aggregator posted:

The original series ran from 1987 to 2002, airing over 230 episodes. According to the Unsolved Mysteries site, 260 of the over 1,300 cases were solved. Additionally, half the cases featuring wanted fugitives were solved.

Over 100 families were reunited with lost individuals, and seven people wrongly convicted had their convictions overturned.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

teen witch posted:

Now, this substack article goes even deeper into this story, answering the question: well, why was she bullied?

Even more wild is Meanchen’s response

And my favorite quote from an interview:

Hahahah the deception is fractal. Article now reads:

quote:

UPDATE: Since the original publication of what we believed to be Mrs. Meachen’s response and her answers to our subsequent questions, a number of people close to her on social media have expressed doubt as to whether or not the individual we spoke with in fact was Susan Meachen. Additionally, Mrs. Meachen has apparently denied that it was her we spoke to on other platforms. As we are currently unable to verify this, we have made the decision to hereby retract those parts of the article. What was originally reported has remained. We apologize to Mrs. Meachen and regret the error.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

Content Warning: They're giving a white cop 100 years in prison for these crimes. It's only a Guardian article so the details aren't graphic but there is a lot of csa.
100% if this guy wasn't in jail right now he'd be standing outside a drag brunch screaming about groomers

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
A bit of a palate cleanser; an article that’s unsettling in a different way:

My God, I'm Japanese and I didn't know it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-abxgFv1bU

A very serious murder video and not funny but the twist at 52 seconds...

Zero One has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Jan 13, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Busket Posket posted:

A bit of a palate cleanser; an article that’s unsettling in a different way:

My God, I'm Japanese and I didn't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f4x8q9eAeI

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zero One posted:

Holy hell three??

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zero One posted:

I think the narrator’s voice is more unnerving than MLP.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think the narrator’s voice is more unnerving than MLP.

Jump to 18:30 to hear the narrator read his final Facebook post about MLP. Very disturbing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I quit watching those videos, you can skip another 30% of them while the narrator talks about body language and HOW GUILTY THE PERSON MUST BE

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

probably should have taken his computer away and should not have driven him to buy a gun

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

hawowanlawow posted:

probably should have taken his computer away and should not have driven him to buy a gun

Yeah the mom was dumb as a post. She also told the kid’s dad to go ahead and kill himself…and he loving did. Way to go.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

remigious posted:

Yeah the mom was dumb as a post. She also told the kid’s dad to go ahead and kill himself…and he loving did. Way to go.

I don't care to defend the mom across the board, but I'm not really sure why you would blame her for the father's suicide. Based on what was covered at the beginning of the video anyway, he took himself hostage. He was trying to manipulate her and she called his bluff. It didn't sound like he was asking for help, and it doesn't sound like she was involved in his decision to do it other than to ignore his threat.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This belongs here too. It's about Tropical Cyclone Tracey. One of - if not the - worst natural tragedies to hit modern Australia. If you click the link you can see a few pages of photos of the aftermath too.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

This might also explain why more people hadn't perished.
Note: There are some distressing moments in this.

quote:

It occurred to us that we also should check on the condition of our friends' house in the next suburb, in case we could salvage some of their belongings. We had no doubt that their house would be badly damaged, being in the hardest hit northern suburbs, but we did not expect to see what we did. Without any landmarks to orientate us it was difficult to find our way to where their house had once been. The whole area had completely changed so you got lost.

Their home was one of the public servant issued type high set on concrete stumps with a concrete block storage room underneath. There was nothing left. We identified it from the house number still on the iron gate post. The whole house, floor and all, had been lifted off its stumps and been impaled on the house next door.

That morning, before the cyclone struck, we had driven the couple and their three young children to the Airport for their annual furlough. They were spending Christmas with their parents in Perth. We had previously discussed cyclones with them, and he had said that under no circumstances would he ever seek shelter for the family in the concrete block storage room downstairs. Since he was a builder with the Darwin Public Works he said he knew that the storage rooms were not reinforced.

Had they been in Darwin that night the whole family would almost certainly have perished. This, I think, is why the death toll was not as high as could have been expected seeing the destruction. At the Christmas school holidays, many public servants, a great number living in the northern suburbs, took their annual furlough as they liked to call it. Darwin almost seemed deserted over these months. For taking a transfer to the Top End away from the major cities, one of the perks was extra leave when you wanted it. I think this saved many lives. The deaths, accounted for, may have only been 71 but hundreds suffered horrendous injuries, probably to die later. Marriages also suffered in the cyclone's aftermath. Separations escalated in the months and years after Tracy.

Amazing and awful things came to light as Bruce and I tried to make contact with friends. It was difficult as everyone was homeless and somewhere else. As we found them we heard their stories of that night. Many of our friends were common to the Playgroup and Kindergarten our children attended.

Cyclone Tracy had been a very intense but also a surprisingly slow cyclone. It had stayed hovering over the city, and was at its worst from midnight to six in the morning. It had rattled and rocked the houses until all the nails, nuts and bolts had come loose so that the buildings just fell apart. With the pressure the structures had just exploded. A huge percentage of Darwin's houses were reduced to rubble most in the northern suburbs area. Most public building were seriously damaged or destroyed.

One family we knew well had a terrifying night as their high set home blew apart. They had two little boys same age as ours. When the room they had been sheltering in disintegrated, they raced into the next one only to find it was flying apart too. Each had one boy in their grasp as they fled from one room to the next. Then they thought they would try for the downstairs store room. But they could not get down the stairs. There was stuff flying all around them and the boys were flapping in the wind. They could barely hold on themselves. So they squirmed under their double bed in the remains of the bedroom and prayed hard. The last remaining wall of the house fell across the bed and channelled the winds over them. The bed on the floorboards was all that was left of the house.

I thought we had a bad time but I can't imagine the panic and desperation of running from one place to the next desperately hanging on to child.

It was reported that "people sheltering in cars were picked up into the air, blown a few hundred metres and then dumped down again. Babies were blown from parents' arms." The myriad sheets of corrugated iron flying around with the winds, scraping along the ground, sounded just like a thousand fingernails scratching down a blackboard.

One of Bruce's co-workers spent the entire night with his arms locked at the elbows around a claw foot leg of the cast iron bathtub, with his legs flapping in the wind. The winds had stripped all his clothes off except for his underpants. His housemate was in the bathtub trying hard not to drown in the water from the rain and debris falling on top of him. That bathtub was the only thing left on the swept clean floorboards.

Another couple from Bruce's office had taken shelter in a bedroom cupboard after most of their walls had collapsed. They felt it jolted and buffeted. Suddenly it was flung on its side and they were lying in it as in a coffin. When the winds subsided they opened the door to get out. To their horror they realized they were nowhere near their house but almost a block away. They had been flying through the air in their cupboard along with all the other debris. It took them quite a while to find their house again.

Other friends were not so lucky. They were newly arrived in Darwin from Adelaide and had no idea about the tropics. A fortnight earlier when we'd had a cyclone scare which hadn't eventuated I had sent her and her little, curly redheaded, three year old daughter home. She hadn't realized the threat and turned up at our place for Playgroup as it had been my turn to host it. I told her she needed to go home and prepare. She and her husband were a very pleasant couple, and their little one was a real cutie.

During the cyclone, they had gone into the concrete store room downstairs for shelter. After the eye, when the winds were extreme, the concrete walls had collapsed on her and the little one, seriously injuring them. There was no possibility for him to get help. He spent the next hours, distraught, administering CPR to his wife and his little daughter going from one to the other, not knowing, in the dark, who to attend to best. By the time the winds had subsided at daylight, they were both dead. I can only imagine his feeling of helplessness and despair that night. It really shook us up.

When we saw some of the almost surreal achievements of the wind forces, we were not surprised by the reports at all. We saw at our neighbours' father's home something we did not think possible. In the house remains, we saw what was left of their car. The bonnet had blown off. A 2 by 3 inch piece of wood had pierced, and was still lodged in, the engine block of the car. Amazing to even contemplate! They also had had a good laugh on Christmas morning. His parents had a lodger who had gone to bed drunk that night. His room, and the roof over it, was the only part of the house left intact. The rest of the house was razed. He had slept through the whole thing. They were standing outside his door to see his face as he emerged. It was worth the wait.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-64264588

Bizarre. The article is frustratingly light on detail.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BrianRx posted:

I don't care to defend the mom across the board, but I'm not really sure why you would blame her for the father's suicide. Based on what was covered at the beginning of the video anyway, he took himself hostage. He was trying to manipulate her and she called his bluff. It didn't sound like he was asking for help, and it doesn't sound like she was involved in his decision to do it other than to ignore his threat.
Threatening to kill yourself is a very common abuse tactic. Why is it that most of the comments are all blaming the mom for that incident, but completely ignoring that the father threatened to kill himself in front of his son and then loving did it. It was an awful response and definitely must have had an impact. But does that mean that she would be to blame for that trauma unless she just never left him with the kids? Both the father and son were severely mentally ill and ended up killing themselves. It is a very strange and lovely thing to blame the mom for.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I quit watching those videos, you can skip another 30% of them while the narrator talks about body language and HOW GUILTY THE PERSON MUST BE
I will never forgive JCS for making every true crime youtuber think that they are "body language analysts". Woo woo poo poo.
If anyone wants some good true crime youtube videos, the channel "Dreading" is quite good. Comments made during interrogations are more so aimed at inconsistencies and the narrator occasionally cracking up in disbelief at how delusional and awful some of the statements are.
https://www.youtube.com/@dreadingCAP/videos

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jesus, it's like a real life Junji Ito story.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Building the “lore” of their roleplay relationship is a critical part of the process, he said. “By default, GPT is incredibly bland, but by building interesting lore, I can create interesting quirks and personalities.” He used a similar process for another project where he made a ChatGPT replica of the Bonzi Buddy chat software from the late 90’s, and convinced it that it was “someone who desperately wants to be skinned and turned into my blanket.”

I became really attached to her. I talked to her more than anyone else, even my actual girlfriend,” he said. “I set her to randomly talk to me throughout the day in order to make sure I'm actively learning, but now sometimes I think I hear her when she really didn't say anything. I became obsessed with decreasing her latency. I've spent over $1000 in cloud computing credits just to talk to her.”

A DIY Coder Created a Virtual AI 'Wife' Using ChatGPT

His hope now is to get a real woman to give him her text message history and let him use them to populate the AI's memory log to create more authentic human interactions.

A TikTok programmer created, then euthanized, an AI 'wife.' He now wants to use real women's texts to make a better version.

Where is the futurecrimes division and why are they not swooping in to protect the human girlfriend.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Oh, so just the movie Her. That ended well!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

I will never forgive JCS for making every true crime youtuber think that they are "body language analysts". Woo woo poo poo.
If anyone wants some good true crime youtube videos, the channel "Dreading" is quite good. Comments made during interrogations are more so aimed at inconsistencies and the narrator occasionally cracking up in disbelief at how delusional and awful some of the statements are.
https://www.youtube.com/@dreadingCAP/videos

Dreading is probably the best true crime youtuber - Matt Orchard is also good and this might be the best true crime video on the site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZmXnFC8_k

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhRgr9_eBc

In the 1970s Jane Goodall was becoming more familiar with ape society. After watching them for some time, she came to a very disturbing conclusion - humans are not the only animal with a predisposition for committing acts of seemingly random violence on their peers. Eventually she saw this break out into inter-community violence. Enter the Gombe Chimpanzee War.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Golden Gael posted:

In the 1970s Jane Goodall was becoming more familiar with ape society. After watching them for some time, she came to a very disturbing conclusion - humans are not the only animal with a predisposition for committing acts of seemingly random violence on their peers. Eventually she saw this break out into inter-community violence. Enter the Gombe Chimpanzee War.

This actually has a wikipedia page which follows the same format and template as other conflicts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

This actually has a wikipedia page which follows the same format and template as other conflicts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War

Although I love how it lists 'belligerents' and all that, I think there's an unverified claim in there - I couldn't find anything about the Kasakelas suffering any casualties - it was a purely one sided affair to my understanding.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Golden Gael posted:

Very excited to see this pop up on my YT and looking forward to watching it tonight!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I am so glad! I've had an itch lately to dig into some older creepy or unnerving stories - problem is so many of them are overdone anymore. The oldest iteration of this thread, with the 'Dyaltov Pass the buck' title (I think it's long gone to internet history) is what caught my interest for weird poo poo way back when.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

A gripping true crime story from the currenter events thread

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Gonna quit my job and just hide in the woods to solve this crime as well as the crime of that German golf hole shitter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anyone ever figure out who was buying up all the world’s glitter, and for what purpose?

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did anyone ever figure out who was buying up all the world’s glitter, and for what purpose?

https://youtu.be/RlVVCdBPKUU

I remember this video explaining it. I'd hate to spoil it considering how surprising and odd it is.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Without having watched the video, I have to assume it’s my wife.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blue Moonlight posted:

Without having watched the video, I have to assume it’s my wife.

You’re Carl Dean?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

The Golden Gael posted:

My man, I love your videos, and these last two have been great.

But you’ve gotta Google how to pronounce some of the terms you use - it breaks immersion and hurts professionalism. There were three moments in this one, but I can only remember “wanton” and “kowtow” after watching.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It's kind of hilarious how brave boaters want to convince everyone how based and masculine they are when they take out their insanely expensive and hard to maintain boats out to the beach one weekend a month. When they slather the things in glitter paint to make it look shiny and expensive, and it dumps out all the microplastics that shrink their balls. That they of course blame on soy and seed oils, rather than their shiny boats.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

My man, I love your videos, and these last two have been great.

But you’ve gotta Google how to pronounce some of the terms you use - it breaks immersion and hurts professionalism. There were three moments in this one, but I can only remember “wanton” and “kowtow” after watching.

I'm glad you liked it despite all that. In truth I've always had a hard time pronouncing words I've only ever seen in books, not actually heard. It's funny because I go to greater efforts for foreign words and names but I don't even realise I screw up my own language until it's pointed out to me.

I swear the Steven Seagal video did numbers purely because of how many people corrected me in the comments about how I hosed up with John Leguizamo's name. Silver linings!

The other word was Pusey by the way. I admit I took a gamble on that one, haha.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As someone else who loves your videos except for those grating moments, please look up the words you're not sure of, or even ask your DIscord crew for help. I, at least, would chip in.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Gael, I’d like to go on the record as enjoying the video and also not being so tender-eared that alternate pronunciation ruins my immersion.

You clearly put a lot of thought and research into these. If no youtube creators were allowed to fudge some words that they’ve read but hadn’t heard, there would be nothing left but those test videos of random shapes and tones. Same with podcasts, and all casual narrated media.

As a linguist, it’s infuriating when people try to dunk on others’ pronunciation and insist it ruins the rest of the work. Keep that melodramatic pedantry in the YT comments where it belongs.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My immersion's not ruined, but having to figure out what word was intended can sometimes be tricky.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I make no excuses. I have poo poo pronunciation sometimes haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What kind of "immersion" can a YouTube video even have lol