Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Silksong is going to be epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tried the SteamWorld Build demo. Never played any of the other SteamWorld games although I understand that like every single one is a different genre.

I guess then I shouldn't have been surprised when halfway through the demo the game went "Oh by the way this game isn't just Anno, it's also loving Dungeon Keeper".

Anyway, good demo much hype.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXudgEHF78M

Sakurai's new video is about how the Smash Bros DLC development was impacted by the pandemic and the challenges they faced adopting remote work, and it's an interesting watch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

The only time a silent protagonist (that's not just silent because there's nothing to say) has ever been good is when their speech is implied rather than them being literally just mute for some reason, which only works for a very specific kind of game.

Good: "What's that Link? You say you Princess Zelda sent you? Okay then, you can pass."

Bad: "This man was at the crime scene next to the body, he must be guilty! Take him away!" *says nothing and gets thrown in the dungeon with absolutely no protest whatsoever*

Yeah in DS1 it got a little too Gordon Freeman where everyone was just talking around Isaac and he never said a word even when it would make perfect sense for him to chime in

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what if they put isaac from the binding of isaac into dead space and made it a roguelike instead

Isaac Clarke already has to fight horrible mutated babies so they've been basically the same game all along

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 25, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Love finding stuff to get mad over

Waffleman got you covered

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Deadspaceman Isaac: "It looks like I have to cut off the limbs?"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Did you know: "Isaac Clarke" is actually a reference to two famous science fiction authors.

Yes yes Oscar Issac and Emilia Clarke we all know

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Booker deClarke - wait a minute, those limbs...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Booker deClarke - wait a minute, those limbs...

*necromorph jumps out of vent*

"Hmm... oh, right, the postcard"

*flips over postcard and sees "cut off their limbs"*

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Silent protags suck because they cannot have agency and unintentially make the player (me) feel trapped and powerless

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I did roll my eyes a little in the preview where Isaac said “looks like you really went out on a LIMB here!” as he sliced off a necromorph’s arm.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so Hogwarts Legacy apparently lets you kill people with impunity?

https://www.gamesradar.com/hogwarts-legacy-preview/

quote:

"It was important for us to give players who sought out to be a Dark Witch or Wizard an opportunity to do so," says lead designer, Kelly Murphy. "This is the ultimate embodiment of role-playing; allowing the player to be evil. Additionally, this was important because it comes from a place of non-judgement by the game creators. If you want to be evil, be evil."

As someone who has always feared getting told off at school, the idea of willingly wielding Unforgivable Curses gives me serious anxiety. I'm the Hermione who's never had detention, so I doubt I'll be the kind of witch to sign up to seriously breaking the rules. But, it's an option and an interesting one at that when you look at it in the context of the lore. "The [Unforgivable Curses] are not learned in school, and the player very specifically chooses whether or not to learn them. Even if the player learns them, they don't have to use them," adds Squier, "And the world does react to their use."

"Characters will react visually and audibly to seeing the player cast an Unforgivable, but we don’t have a morality system that punishes them for doing so – this would be too judgemental on the game maker’s part. But, should the player continue these actions, the world will reflect back knowledge of them," adds Murphy.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So it’s a Red Dead?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat first cool thing I've heard about that game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Worse yet are silent protags who get told by npcs "there's something special about you... for some reason I feel comfortable around you. Like no matter what, you'll always have my back, that I can count on you at any time. Thank you. For everything."

nod

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Worse yet are silent protags who get told by npcs "there's something special about you... for some reason I feel comfortable around you. Like no matter what, you'll always have my back, that I can count on you at any time. Thank you. For everything."

nod

This is the speech people give to me when they're talking poo poo about our coworkers because I don't get involved in drama and keep my mouth shut.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

nod

If someone DMs you this report them immediately.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Barry Convex posted:

gotta hand it to them, not many games let you play as a homicidal schoolchild

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all those peevish blokes with their muggle jokes
you better run, better run, outrun my wand
all those silly slags with their magic bags
you better run, better run faster than my curses

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’ll probably just be the other two, cowards

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

idk what the Wizarding World is like in the 1800s but things must be bad if they're not arresting people who use mind-control, leg-crushing torture, and murder spells

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

galenanorth posted:

idk what the Wizarding World is like in the 1800s but things must be bad if they're not arresting people who use mind-control, leg-crushing torture, and murder spells

It sounds bad rear end

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Barry Convex posted:

As someone who has always feared getting told off at school, the idea of willingly wielding Unforgivable Curses gives me serious anxiety

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Volte posted:

The only time a silent protagonist (that's not just silent because there's nothing to say) has ever been good is when their speech is implied rather than them being literally just mute for some reason, which only works for a very specific kind of game.

Good: "What's that Link? You say you Princess Zelda sent you? Okay then, you can pass."

Bad: "This man was at the crime scene next to the body, he must be guilty! Take him away!" *says nothing and gets thrown in the dungeon with absolutely no protest whatsoever*

You can read Zelda's diary in BotW to find out the secret of quiet Link

zelda posted:

Bit by bit, I've gotten Link to open up to me. It turns out he's quite a glutton. He can't resist a delicious meal!

When I finally got around to asking why he's so quiet all the time, I could tell it was difficult for him to say. But he did.

With so much at stake, and so many eyes upon him, he feels it necessary to stay strong and to silently bear any burden.

A feeling I know all too well... For him, it has caused him to stop outwardly expressing his thoughts and feelings.

I always believed him to be simply a gifted person who had never faced a day of hardship. How wrong I was...

Everyone has struggles that go unseen by the world... I was so absorbed with my own problems, I failed to see his.

I wish to talk with him more and to see what lies beneath those calm waters, to hear him speak freely and openly...

And perhaps I, too, will be able to bare my soul to him and share the demons that have plagued me all these years.

here he is eating rocks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what if they put isaac from the binding of isaac into dead space and made it a roguelike instead

I'd put 300 hours into it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm the knight clapping for Link as he eats the rocks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
we programmed our game to not actually care what you do, do whatever you want or don't, maybe don't even play the game either way we acknowledge it the same

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm the knight clapping for Link as he eats the rocks.

this was the one good cutscene in age of calamity. the entire story is so boring and then blam, link's eating rocks to impress his friends, and then back to boring

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

galenanorth posted:

it was the 1800s, if you did those things to poor people no one cared

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Should the Dead Space man talk?
"No" , says man posting on internet forum

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he should say things like, "the only dead space i see here is between your ears"

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

dead space? more like dead air

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bring back the SMRPG pantomime protagonist

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should put Isaac's good friend Mr. Potato Head from Dead Space 3 in the remake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really hope ReDead Space has a resource grind you can pay more money to circumvent

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The best way to play Bully is closing your eyes and cycling through all the clothing options before leaving for class in the morning.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't understand the math shirt, but I kinda want it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

I really hope ReDead Space has a resource grind you can pay more money to circumvent

Wait for the Dead Space 3 remake

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my favorite DSR change is definitely the fact that they turned isaac from a crewcut mid 2000s space marine into the dweebiest looking motherfucker this side of saturn, which is what a far future space engineer should look like anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Looper posted:

are any of you actually playing forspoken besides bp

I'm playing Nier