Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rolen won a shitload of Gold Gloves at a premium position

And his combined WARs are like 25 points higher than Helton's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/maddie_m_lee/status/1618028767515136006

MANROD is still in the Cubs' system :toot:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I’m glad Rolen got in and I dearly hope Helton gets in

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

davecrazy posted:

My hottest HoF take is that the guy who left Jeter off the ballot so he would not get an unanimous election is a national hero.

Honestly once Griffey and Jeter didn't get 100% I figured it really wasn't ever going to happen

And then it happened for a closer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reiche posted:

I’m glad Rolen got in and I dearly hope Helton gets in
It sounds like Wagner and Helton will get in next year considering how close they got this year

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm all for having all the elite players of their era in the Hall but I think it's crazy not to also vote in players who were not quite the most elite players but were also significant to the narrative of baseball during their career.
The writers elected Big Papi and they will elect Yadi. Jack Morris and Kirby Puckett are in the HoF. It makes sense for guys like Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly, Frank White, and so forth to be in the HoF, in my opinion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I'm all for having all the elite players of their era in the Hall but I think it's crazy not to also vote in players who were not quite the most elite players but were also significant to the narrative of baseball during their career.
The writers elected Big Papi and they will elect Yadi. Jack Morris and Kirby Puckett are in the HoF. It makes sense for guys like Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly, Frank White, and so forth to be in the HoF, in my opinion.

One of the bigger exclusions here is Dick Allen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

tadashi posted:

Lou Whitaker needs to get in before Murphy, Mattingly, and Frank White

So does Bob Grich

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Honestly once Griffey and Jeter didn't get 100% I figured it really wasn't ever going to happen

And then it happened for a closer

It was still a Yankee anyway, of course :jerkbag:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

tadashi posted:

This is why I’m against the idea of a “small” hall, there are too many exceptional players in baseball history. It’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Only the Absolute Best Players. Popular players from each era should be able to get in, even if they’re not statistically as impressive as other players already in.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Holy gently caress I can’t wait for baseball

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are pitchers and catchers even doing right now that they can't report to spring training.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Gerblederp posted:

Holy gently caress I can’t wait for baseball

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

tadashi posted:

Jack Morris and Kirby Puckett are in the HoF.

One of these things is not like the other

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya one beat his wife, the other didn't.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

How do you figure he deserves to be in the hall. Defense ?

If Harold Baines, Jack Morris, and Andre Dawson are hall of famers, Scott Rolen is a hall of famer

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Red posted:

If Harold Baines, Jack Morris, and Andre Dawson are hall of famers, Scott Rolen is a hall of famer

Dude gently caress you Andre belongs there.

I may be biased because he was my favorite player as a kid.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

So does Bob Grich

For sure. There are a lot of obvious omissions. I don't know why Whitaker can't get in when voted on by his peers except that the committee system lends itself to a system of gatekeeping by the members and also lobbying for HoF entry by candidates or their allies.

Maybe Whitaker just needs a critical mass of people connected to the 80s Tigers teams to get on a committee together. That's basically why Lee Smith and Harold Baines got in.

I just think "small hall" guarantees glaring omissions and also bad choices of inductees. And if writers are only going to induct players based on WAR or JAWS (which I like), or some plateau numbers, then why have a vote?

While I have time to post: people who don't think Scott Rolen belongs in the Hall of Fame have no appreciation for Scott Rolen's value.
1. True 3rd basemen are criminally under-represented in the Hall.
2. If people are just looking at Scott Rolen's raw offensive stats, I've got some news about Brooks Robinson you might want to look into...
3. His career WAR was 1.3 less than Jeter even though he played 3 less seasons.
4. By JAWS (a measure of peak WAR vs. career WAR), he improves the average score of HoF third basemen, even when you include guys who were not really 3rd basemen like Edgar Martinez and Paul Molitor.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 25, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Because you had to have a Big Hall, did ya
You had to open up the gates
You had to have a Big Hall, did ya
Oh, those players weren't that great

You had to let them all in, big brains
I don't know what it's all about
You had to seize control of the reins
You had to welcome in Harold Baines

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

When you are getting ready to complain about unworthy Hall of Famers, check their BRef page and see if their WAR is >60.

If it’s close or above 60 (Dawson 64.8), then they are at worst an interesting edge case worthy of nuanced consideration.

If they’re well below 60 (Morris 43.5, Baines 38.8) then fire away.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 25, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Dude gently caress you Andre belongs there.

I may be biased because he was my favorite player as a kid.

No problem, I used to love Orel Hershiser, and, well

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's extremely wrong that Shohei Ohtani is not in the HoF.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Andre Dawson is not a case of rose colored glasses. He was RotY, MVP, an 8x All Star, 4x Silver Slugger, 8x Gold Glove, 64.8 bWAR, 53.7 JAWS, etc.

He’s head and shoulders above guys like Morris and Baines

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

Andre Dawson is not a case of rose colored glasses. He was RotY, MVP, an 8x All Star, 4x Silver Slugger, 8x Gold Glove, 64.8 bWAR, 53.7 JAWS, etc.

He’s head and shoulders above guys like Morris and Baines

None of those 3 should be in.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Compelling argument

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

what is your rule of thumb WAR cutoff for the Hall of Fame?

I keep harping on WAR here because this is the realm where it is most useful. Over an entire career the individual randomness and quibbles we have with year to year WAR tend to wash out. (Like that one season Nola had 9.7 bWAR because of the way the algorithm treated Philly’s defense) There’s nobody with 100 WAR who you’re like “that guy wasn’t that good he just got lucky with the way the star is calculated” and there’s no 20 WAR player who secretly got jobbed by the math.

WAR isnt the end all be all of HoF discourse but it is an extremely useful starting point.

So if you’re gonna say a guy with 65 WAR isn’t a Hall of Famer (and imply it’s not even close) I’m going to need you to articulate where your bar is. 70? 80? 100?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 25, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Btw Dawson was elected by the voters while Morris and Baines were bullshit committee inductions.

If anything the BBWAA is too stingy, not too generous. All the least qualified inductions are committee cases.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lee Smith is another modern VC guy that should never have been elected

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, it's hard to argue that Dawson is clearly out unless your HOF is only inner circle dudes. Joe DiMaggio is probably the first guy to make the cut if Dawson is clearly out. Duke Snider is clearly out. Richie Ashburn, also clearly out. Sliding Billy Hamilton? See ya. You'd end up with a HOF of about 130 players.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Meanwhile the list of worthy players the writers have failed to elect includes the obvious like Bonds and Clemens, but also guys like Kevin Brown (67.8 WAR), Alan Trammell (70.7), and Ron Santo (70.5).

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

So does Bob Grich

Frank White was my favorite player as a kid but he's not quite HOF worthy.

Murphy, Whitaker and Grich should be in but gently caress Mattingly. Not good enough for long enough.

Also the HOF has too many Yankees already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WAR does at least useful for Hall of Fame discussion in like lining up everyone's numbers and seeing who the outliers are. And it doesn't mean someone HAS to be in because everyone near him his in or that someone shouldn't be in even if he's below the median. But it does naturally bring about the questions of "Why?" and what makes him different.

I feel like I have a much looser and bigger Hall view of things. I'm ok with guys getting in if they were historically significant or had really incredible runs. I'm ok with someone getting in because he was "the face of baseball" for a little while even if it didn't pan out. I mean I guess that could be stretched out and you could try and get me to put Yasiel Puig in the Hall or something. But I dunno. If the Hall is just a list of guys who hit a certain stat benchmark then it feels like it takes away any of the romanticism and natural baseball humanity of it. Its just a list then.

And do I know "romanticism and natural baseball humanity" are nonsense silly terms? Yes, of course. But baseball is a silly game and I'm a silly fan and Cooperstown is a silly little town that makes me feel like a kid when I go there. So I dunno. I'll accept an errant Harold Baines who maybe doesn't feel quite right for some guys who do even if their numbers might not be up to a high standard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sandy Koufax has 48.9 bWAR. Stats matter but context matters too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, it's hard to argue that Dawson is clearly out unless your HOF is only inner circle dudes. Joe DiMaggio is probably the first guy to make the cut if Dawson is clearly out. Duke Snider is clearly out. Richie Ashburn, also clearly out. Sliding Billy Hamilton? See ya. You'd end up with a HOF of about 130 players.
Hall of Fame players with 5 bWAR of Dawson includes:
Mike Piazza
Yogi Berra
Tim Raines
Eddie Murray
Tony Gwynn
Pudge Rodriguez
John Smoltz
Edgar Martinez
Pee Wee Reese
Ryne Sandberg
Ernie Banks
(Miguel Cabrera)
(Joey Votto)
Don Drysdale
Don Sutton
Duke Snyder
Ed Walsh
Craig Biggio
Willie McCovey
Roy Halladay
Dave Winfield
Bob Feller
Juan Marichal

If Dawson is an “obvious” shortfall then so are all these guys.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Sandy Koufax has 48.9 bWAR. Stats matter but context matters too.
The exception that proves the rule.

Sure you can get in with less than 50 WAR, IF you had a peak as great as Koufax did. 36.3 of that came in his final 4 years, and 46.8 were in the final 6. Basically everyone else with a peak that elite also hung around long enough to get 60+ WAR.

Morris meanwhile took 18 seasons to reach 43.5.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
David Ortiz only has 55.3 WAR

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ichiro has a career WAR of exactly 60 and a career OPS of only .757, the bum

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Right, borderline by the numbers guy who gets a boost for his narrative impact.

Working As Intended.

Edit: this was about Ortiz

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 25, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude if your theory has you saying things like "Ichiro was a borderline guy"

Speaking of questionable cases now, does Ozzie Smith even sniff a 26 man roster in 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Dude if your theory has you saying things like "Ichiro was a borderline guy"

Speaking of questionable cases now, does Ozzie Smith even sniff a 26 man roster in 2023
Andrelton Simmons was highly valued for awhile, and Ozzie Smith was presumably an even better defender