Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

The side outshot by at least 9:1 is not trading casualties 1:1.

hmm, so what's your off the arse casualty rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Leandros posted:

They counted only those buried in Russian cemeteries at ~60 specific settlements, and estimate that number to be 40-60% of the total Russian regular forces killed. So 20k-30k at minimum, and this doesn't include separatists or Wagner. I guess that's one way of underselling your losses.

Who cares? This war won't end from these kind of losses. Your fantasy of every Russian dead isn't going to happen.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Starsfan posted:

Man it's hard to place losses from modern warfare in the same reality as what was going on 80 years ago.. You read so much cope about how Russia is nearing their breaking point with 30,000 to 40,000 casualties in a year and then wikipedia tells you that like 600,000 Russian soldiers got surrounded and surrendered around Kiev one week back in WW2.

It's straight up great war propaganda when everyone was made to believe the war was going to be over Any Day Now and The Hun Can't Sustain These Losses and it just kept going. And yeah the scale of it is just miniscule in comparison so "oh they're going to run out of guys soon!!!" just rings even more hollow.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BadOptics posted:

I assume you mean AIM-120's because even the newer AIM-9X doesn't have the range to go up against even the older BVR stuff the Russian AF could field (9X is like 22 mi at best vs the old R-27 at ~50 mi). And while they've been pretty bad with combined arms, I've not heard or read any reports anything about Russian fighter jets being pushovers in A2A combat (mostly because of operating in friendly AD zones and using their range and better radars) - even from western sources. F-16's would give the Ukrainians a big boost in capability, but I don't think it would be enough to achieve air domination let alone air superiority.

The wonder weapons narrative is stupid as gently caress on its face. It's a war of attrition now and Ukraine would need a staggeringly large number of weapons and troops and logistics to sustain them, all delivered in one push, to get a material advantage large enough to bring a dynamic end to the conflict. But that's not what's going to happen, they're going to get a few dozen tanks here, a couple hundred ATGMs there, enough to make Russia eat poo poo but not enough to actually win anything. Adding a few planes and sidewinders is just another line item on the butcher's bill, it doesn't matter how much better the F-16 or AIM-9X is or is not compared to Russian contemporary systems. They're going to lose airframes against air defenses, they're going to fire a lot of missiles that miss, they're going to have parts shortages, they're going to have debris ingestion that takes out engines, they're going to lack qualified pilots - all the same poo poo that drives wars of attrition in any other domain applies equally to jets.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Vomik posted:

the freedom being brought to the Ukrainian people doesn’t seem that great

listen fat, there is no greater expression of freedom than having your cells liberated from each other by explosives, just like when my grandpappy nuked the krauts at the alamo

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lmao the motherfuckers really did add 1 over 30 to say they are giving them over 30 tanks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In terms of how militaries function, which I think always gets left out, Ukraine has also probably seriously disrupted institutions within the military to keep this going. By way of example, almost every British cavalry instructor went to war in the autumn of 1914 to make up losses from that summer, were killed or still needed at the front, and were therefore unavailable as teachers. Now, that would be no problem if the war had ended in December 1914. It didn't, and so as the war went on, it took until 1916 for the British to be able to really train cavalrymen again and until 1917-18 for the training to approach pre-war standards. The expertise and supporting training infrastructure was lost.

The same thing happened when British staff officers were sent to replace KIA/WIA field officers in 1914. Again, in the framework of a short war with an existing force structure this would be a setback but not too disruptive. As it happened this had major repercussions as not only did it halt staff training and shrink the pool of staff available for various commands, it seriously effected future operations. To fight a war on the scale that was evident by late 1914 would require the UK to raise new Corps, even new Armies. That meant of course a massive expansion of planning and staff work, and the attendant personnel. They were all commanding battalions or dead. That meant British operations were poorly planned and small in scale throughout 1915, with obvious consequences. It took until 1916-17 for Corps level operations to really be executed competently and 1918 for planning to reach a scale that could support, for example the Hundred Days.

Ukraine doesn't just need aircrew, because they didn't just lose aircrew. They undoubtedly pushed instructors, operations officers and whoever else had wings into the cockpit as their losses mounted. That means that when a squadron's worth of shiny F-16s is delivered, there is no squadron to receive them. Even if there are a squadron's worth of western-trained pilots, the institution has either been lost or so damaged as to not be able to competently conduct operations. This applies to the armoured branch as well. The Ukrainian tank school isn't operating, nor is the mechanical school. Sure you can train individual soldiers in the West, but that's not the same as having the institutions that can support these weapons systems and maximize their effect on operations.

There's a serious erosion of capabilities across the board. It may not yet be that every Ukrainian soldier is a rifleman, but certainly many are that should not be, and their vacancies are creating a growing list of things the Ukrainian military cannot do, even if it remains in the field.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

In terms of how militaries function, which I think always gets left out, Ukraine has also probably seriously disrupted institutions within the military to keep this going. By way of example, almost every British cavalry instructor went to war in the autumn of 1914 to make up losses from that summer, were killed or still needed at the front, and were therefore unavailable as teachers. Now, that would be no problem if the war had ended in December 1914. It didn't, and so as the war went on, it took until 1916 for the British to be able to really train cavalrymen again and until 1917-18 for the training to approach pre-war standards. The expertise and supporting training infrastructure was lost.

The same thing happened when British staff officers were sent to replace KIA/WIA field officers in 1914. Again, in the framework of a short war with an existing force structure this would be a setback but not too disruptive. As it happened this had major repercussions as not only did it halt staff training and shrink the pool of staff available for various commands, it seriously effected future operations. To fight a war on the scale that was evident by late 1914 would require the UK to raise new Corps, even new Armies. That meant of course a massive expansion of planning and staff work, and the attendant personnel. They were all commanding battalions or dead. That meant British operations were poorly planned and small in scale throughout 1915, with obvious consequences. It took until 1916-17 for Corps level operations to really be executed competently and 1918 for planning to reach a scale that could support, for example the Hundred Days.

Ukraine doesn't just need aircrew, because they didn't just lose aircrew. They undoubtedly pushed instructors, operations officers and whoever else had wings into the cockpit as their losses mounted. That means that when a squadron's worth of shiny F-16s is delivered, there is no squadron to receive them. Even if there are a squadron's worth of western-trained pilots, the institution has either been lost or so damaged as to not be able to competently conduct operations. This applies to the armoured branch as well. The Ukrainian tank school isn't operating, nor is the mechanical school. Sure you can train individual soldiers in the West, but that's not the same as having the institutions that can support these weapons systems and maximize their effect on operations.

There's a serious erosion of capabilities across the board. It may not yet be that every Ukrainian soldier is a rifleman, but certainly many are that should not be, and their vacancies are creating a growing list of things the Ukrainian military cannot do, even if it remains in the field.

How much staffing can you do over zoom though?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't this a problem for Russia also? There were reports that training reinforcements was disrupted because all the trainers were dead. No idea if that was true of course. I guess they could pull people out from retirement?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

Isn't this a problem for Russia also? There were reports that training reinforcements was disrupted because all the trainers were dead. No idea if that was true of course. I guess they could pull people out from retirement?

Russia has a much, much bigger military. They also have several military academies that produce large classes of experts in various fields. So, while it would have been stupid and short sighted to press instructors into combat, they haven't even committed all of the combat formations of their military to the SMO, I don't think they've allowed out the supporting institutions - or at least not nearly to the same degree.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Best Friends posted:

I’ve been mulling on how Ukraine is white enough that invading them is a unique historical evil to other white countries (zero westerners supported arming the Iraqi insurgency or the NVA). but, they’re on the periphery enough that we in the west are still allowed to coup them, and if they ban a bunch of political parties core white countries can go “it’s different there.”

it’s in this in-between space. they’re European on the television when it’s time for heartstrings and South Vietnam behind closed doors at the state department when it’s time to assess who we want running the place.

The Balkans are pretty much the same deal. They're white as a matter of convenience for advancing our geopolitical goals but on the brown end of the white spectrum as far as our willingness to see them come to harm because of their Ottoman history, Islam being prevalent in places, etc. Just sub Cossacks & Soviets for Ottomans and Orthodox for Islam

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if you go by historical record, britain losing every single cavalry officer and instructor in 1914 was probably the best thing that could happen to their future in cavalry efforts

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
killing two generations of "alpha" males from most of europe may have been a net positive for the world

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the russians are about to take a town called Ulgedar

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1618332121474666496?s=46&t=705jWv712DxCoCSaHy6xig

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oooo boy…I’m not getting that money back that I put down for a dacha timeshare am I?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

oh no if the orcs take ulgedar, they'll probably disturb the prison of yogg-saron while looting titan technology :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Also, the Mig 31s with R-37s Russian has been sending out have even further ranges up to 398 km, honestly, I don't think the F-16 would be a game changer beyond protecting the airspace of particularly South-West Ukraine. Also, unless they want to kill their pilots, they probably need 1-2 years minimum to get some familiarity with the F-16 as it really does fly different than Soviet aircraft.

As far as combined arms, I would say dealing with an airspace that Western militaries don't usually need to handle. It isn't Ukraine's land based radar or even really the S-300 systems that are the issue but that they are getting constant AWACS coverage over large parts of Ukraine which allows them to keep their radars off until they need to launch. This forces either the Russians risk getting hit by AD or fly low enough to get hit by manpads. The solution for the Russians has generally been to use more standoff munitions from bombers or utilizing rockets at a distance for closer support.

I would say a Western airforce would face the same issue if either the Russians or the Chinese had that type of AWACS coverage.

Imo the only real advantage Ukraine has is the rules lawyering not-participation of the US, which makes it possible for them to have an AWACS that can never be shot down. A western air force in the same situation would simply shoot down the AWACS plane.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lol it’s Victor Zwinky’s birthday today that’s why the US is giving him stupid tanks as a present

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

killing two generations of "alpha" males from most of europe may have been a net positive for the world

The Penal battalions served the same purpose. Chalk another win for Uncle Joe!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Who cares? This war won't end from these kind of losses. Your fantasy of every Russian dead isn't going to happen.

I know your brain is literally broken and all but extrapolating "man that estimation sounds like a honk of poo poo" to "man it would rule if there were 4 more zeroes on that number" is kind of a stretch

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Dacha Nekrasova.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oh no, Louie CK is squatting in my Dacha Nekrasova!:(

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ukraine requesting that the West send these over

Buhnanenanaaaaahh nanenuhnanuhnaaaaaaaaahhhh (giant air whammy bars)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Leandros posted:

I know your brain is literally broken and all but extrapolating "man that estimation sounds like a honk of poo poo" to "man it would rule if there were 4 more zeroes on that number" is kind of a stretch

scared?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Kevin Rothrock
@KevinRothrock
managing editor
@meduza_en
, russia watcher supreme, email: kevin@meduza.io

(@kevinrothrock@newsie.social)

quote:

FULL BIOGRAPHY
Kevin Rothrock is managing editor at the English-language edition of Meduza. Previously, he served as web editor at The Moscow Times and RuNet Echo project editor at Global Voices.

One Woodrow Wilson Plaza
1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20004-3027

ABOUT THE WILSON CENTER
The Wilson Center, chartered by Congress in 1968 as the official memorial to President Woodrow Wilson, is the nation’s key non-partisan policy forum for tackling global issues through independent research and open dialogue to inform actionable ideas for the policy community.

lol every time. Haven't they heard of pen names?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Orwell had an incredible take that British people got uglier and weaker cause all the hot guys got murdered in WW1. can’t remember the title though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Vomik posted:

the freedom being brought to the Ukrainian people doesn’t seem that great

It's freedom to die. The freedom that any American enjoys if they earn as much money as Ukrainians.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Imo the only real advantage Ukraine has is the rules lawyering not-participation of the US, which makes it possible for them to have an AWACS that can never be shot down. A western air force in the same situation would simply shoot down the AWACS plane.

Yeah, constant AWACS is keeping Ukraine in the right to a large extent since honestly it’s AD would have probably fully collapsed and Ukraine would at the same mercy as any country in a similar situation.

That said, the Russians have also done a good job at clearing most of Ukraine’s air space. It is why I don’t think F-16s would make much of a difference.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Best Friends posted:

Orwell had an incredible take that British people got uglier and weaker cause all the hot guys got murdered in WW1. can’t remember the title though.

why did the war only kill the hot ones?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Why not just no train new cavalry? Did they still expect the trench warfare to stop at that point in the war? Our dudes on foot keep getting mowed down by artillery and machinegun fire but if only we had dudes on top of large horse to make them move faster, surely they would somehow dodge the bullets and barb-wires.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1618343976712671232

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Whoo a little of a spicy take

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/wxrry/status/1615753882420019203?s=46&t=705jWv712DxCoCSaHy6xig

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, constant AWACS is keeping Ukraine in the right to a large extent since honestly it’s AD would have probably fully collapsed and Ukraine would at the same mercy as any country in a similar situation.

That said, the Russians have also done a good job at clearing most of Ukraine’s air space. It is why I don’t think F-16s would make much of a difference.

It's kind of interesting to think about, like could f16's being vectored on target by an AWACS get the drop on mig31's with their absurd radar and long range missiles?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It isn't for Russia at least.

Do you think Russia intends genocide, even a social one? Or are you confusing a nation with a state?
This war is not existential for the Ukrainian nation, but it could be for the Ukrainian state. However, I don't really care if a state with legal pogroms gets destroyed. Of course the accompanying death and destruction is bad, but I don't see that being increased if Russia's goals change from 'puppet regime within existing institutions' to 'Ukraine is part of Russia now'.

Best Friends posted:

I’ve been mulling on how Ukraine is white enough that invading them is a unique historical evil to other white countries (zero westerners supported arming the Iraqi insurgency or the NVA). but, they’re on the periphery enough that we in the west are still allowed to coup them, and if they ban a bunch of political parties core white countries can go “it’s different there.”

it’s in this in-between space. they’re European on the television when it’s time for heartstrings and South Vietnam behind closed doors at the state department when it’s time to assess who we want running the place.

Ukrainian's whiteness isn't why the west is supporting them, it is a useful tool in it's internal propaganda.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1617374364927774721

the secret of the cancer tanks must not be given to the orks

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1617374364927774721

the secret of the cancer tanks must not be given to the orks

Is it really that secret? They started incorporating it into the design when I was in loving grade school.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I dont believe that the depleted uranium is so fuckin secret it cant be given to anyone. Iirc the reason Australia doesnt have DU inserts (and the Swedish were offered it but refused during the competition that led to the Swedish Leopard) is that its literally nuclear waste and they didnt want it.

Coincidentally, the fact that its nuclear waste is why its used. Hard as Tungsten but cheap because it would otherwise be waste.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

OctaMurk posted:

I dont believe that the depleted uranium is so fuckin secret it cant be given to anyone. Iirc the reason Australia doesnt have DU inserts (and the Swedish were offered it but refused during the competition that led to the Swedish Leopard) is that its literally nuclear waste and they didnt want it.

Coincidentally, the fact that its nuclear waste is why its used. Hard as Tungsten but cheap because it would otherwise be waste.

Australian tank coomers think Australia might actually have DU, just not officially, because the weight of the tanks is higher than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

fits my needs posted:

wtf are slavic eyes

Fat pads on the cheeks and upper lids.