Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kerrzhe posted:

the star wars mmo was good because it let you still be a good guy even on the empire side, and it always confused the hell out of the npcs

Absolutely. I loved playing through that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

threeangles strats:

The game has a sort of "persuasion" minigame, where your war council crew has to decide between two things, and your job as the protag is to convince them to vote your way. To persuade someone, you talk to them, hear them out a lil, then you pick between three dialogue choices. And to "win" you have to select the argument that would most likely convince the individual you're speaking to. Sometimes there's a dialogue option that's locked behind prior info you may or may not have gotten, depending on your previous story branches or how diligent you've been during the exploration segments, but even if you did unlock those options they aren't necessarily better than the other, not-locked choices. It's a nice mechanic, even if so far it's been pretty easy, because you only need to convince one dude out of four each time to break the default deadlock and get your desired outcome. (Reminds me of deus ex human revolution's persuasion minigame, which also had you consider what arguments would be most effective).

And so far, picking between which of the two options is best has been tricky, because they're questions like, "do we trust the neighbouring empire to leave us alone if we hand over the monarch-in-exile (who is also my bff) we're harbouring to them, or do we protect the exiled prince and try to fend off their much, much more powerful army?", questions about how one should navigate these extremely precarious political situations. It's interesting stuff, and genuinely tough to know which option would be "best" for the continuing survival of my cute little realm. The fallout of each of these decisions always feels meaningful.

Except... this last choice I got just now, feels so weird compared to the previous ones. The question being asked is, SPOILERS, "do we sell out the Romani people living in our realm and give them over to the tremendously bigoted state next door that wants to enslave them and grind them into dust/salt, they do not view the Romani as human beings and have demonstrated this to us many times; or do we not do that?"... This is something which the game frames as a difficult decision, on par with the previous ones, which is just wild, and pretty funny.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

are any of you actually playing forspoken besides bp

I have, the first 90 minutes are rather poor, hoping it's about to open up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it is funny that the game lets you make some abhorrent decisions

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Outside of the fact that explanation was clunky af, those curses in HP are explicitly only usable properly if you are evil. You need to really want and like murder for it to work.

Which of course is why cops could legally use them.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's very funny that the number one unforgivable curse in Harry Potter is a spell that instantly kills someone. Putting aside the classic "have you head of guns my dude?" thing at one point Harry Potter casts a spell at a fellow child that makes all the blood in his body start flying out almost killing him and he maybe gets detention?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kerrzhe posted:

i think being a lone beacon of good in a world full of evil is way more badass

That would make you, unless you are a moralist, evil.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

It's very funny that the number one unforgivable curse in Harry Potter is a spell that instantly kills someone. Putting aside the classic "have you head of guns my dude?" thing at one point Harry Potter casts a spell at a fellow child that makes all the blood in his body start flying out almost killing him and he maybe gets detention?

There are probably a ton of creative ways to kill people with spells in the HP universe. Didn't JK Rowling once say that nobody shits because they cast spells to remove the shits from their bodies when they need to. You could just keep casting that on someone and give them a long term metabolic disorder

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
will the pooping spell be in the game

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Grumbles posted:

There are probably a ton of creative ways to kill people with spells in the HP universe. Didn't JK Rowling once say that nobody shits because they cast spells to remove the shits from their bodies when they need to. You could just keep casting that on someone and give them a long term metabolic disorder

You got it wrong, they shat on the ground where thyy stood and then vanished away the poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
reminds me of the dude in the Misfits TV series that could control milk. then he killed a few folks by curdling the lactose in their blood stream

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

That would make you, unless you are a moralist, evil.

i think the word you're looking for is "hero"

being a hero is way more badass than being evil. and i dont mean just stupid superhero poo poo. i mean giving hope to the downtrodden and fighting back against oppressors. especially if you're outnumbered/outclassed by the machinations of said evil, and you win anyway. that's my jam.

probably not much of that in that harry potter game, which is why i am not interested in it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

you get more xp for being the good guy. at least you did in BG2, so I assume other games are the same.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

VideoGames posted:

I think more games should be like FFX-2 where last night in an attempt to save the land of Spira I put on a pop concert. It was magnificent!

In Space Rangers 2 I took a moment out of saving the galaxy to put on a pop concert. Also I ran a ski resort for a while!

Love that game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space Rangers 2 is a delight

I doomed the galaxy by forming a pirate rump state too weak to win but strong enough to keep the organic races from beating the robots lmao

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Space Rangers 2 is a delight

I doomed the galaxy by forming a pirate rump state too weak to win but strong enough to keep the organic races from beating the robots lmao

I've done that before but never on purpose lol

I do kinda miss the old translation. The Dominators are attacking all over the space!!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kerrzhe posted:

being a hero is way more badass than being evil. and i dont mean just stupid superhero poo poo. i mean giving hope to the downtrodden and fighting back against oppressors. especially if you're outnumbered/outclassed by the machinations of said evil, and you win anyway. that's my jam.

probably not much of that in that harry potter game, which is why i am not interested in it

If you go against the social mores of an entire world you are evil.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Kerrzhe posted:

:yeah:

Which is kind of another reason why I liked Triangle Strategy. Being able to tell every power to gently caress right off despite the fact that you are vastly outmatched yourself is a great feeling.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pwnstar posted:

It kinda makes sense because there’s also a spell that puts the blood back in his body and then he’s fine. There are no lasting consequences for anything because you can just magic them away in an instant. Except death, for whatever reason

I guess the thing that really doesn’t make sense is that there are a million ways to cause severe pain indirectly through bodily trauma but none of them are as big a deal as the spell that’s just “you feel pain now”

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 25, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let's say you're playing a game with an inventory system. You pick up a key. You walk to a locked door.
Do you want the game to automatically pull out the key and unlock the door? Or do you want to go manually into your inventory and select the Use option on the key?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

This is a problem of definitions.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Let's say you're playing a game with an inventory system. You pick up a key. You walk to a locked door.
Do you want the game to automatically pull out the key and unlock the door? Or do you want to go manually into your inventory and select the Use option on the key?

I think that depends on the game itself. If it's a puzzle game, then probably the second one. If any other kind of game, I want the door to just open.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it should be like jurassic park trespasser and you have to physically use the controls to get your arm to put the key in and turn

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
C) there is always a use door prompt and if I press it the key is used automatically if I have one

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hi-Fi Rush looks okay. The animation actually looks really nice, and it's basically Soundfall gameplay but mixed with character action. It looks like Sunset Overdrive and it feels like it will have the typical insincere AAA dialog (the trailer literally starts with, Hi there, this is me, you're probably wondering how I got here, well...)

it's also out today so I can just play it and see if it's any good

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 25, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

do i know the key fits that door?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1618342955202256928?s=20&t=w99rkLQ8FFRkwHRUjbE3WA

Excuse me?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think it looks fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, like it actually looks kinda sick but this is like out of nowhere lol

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
More than anything, I'm amazed that we've apparently circled all the way back to using "yep, that's me" unironically

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

back at e3 i thought redfall looked just ok

now it looks flat out bad to me

idk if it's just because bethesda is notoriously bad at showing their games, but it looks miserable. sorry harvey smith

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm gonna play Hi-Fi Rush when it comes out later.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

do i know the key fits that door?

no (but it does)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

no (but it does)

I ask because I booted up signalis for a bit, picked up a keycard in a room, then a bit later i tried a door and it just unlocked itself with the keycard without asking me and tbh I was kind of p*ssed off

But then I thought, wait maybe this is good?? I should ask the gamers

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the GEP gun is the only key I need

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I am not a fan of how at a certain point in Nier even the regular bad guys just start throwing a million energy balls at you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

The key and lock should both be fully 3D modeled down to the tumblers, you then have to perfectly insert it and turn it to open the door using the full capability of the physics engine to make sure the experience is as close to opening a real door as possible.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

yeah that’s not how I define evil, buddy. social norms that cause suffering are evil whether they’re the majority or not.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My character should karate kick the door open splintering it into a million pieces. The key should then be stuck in my inventory, undroppable, for all of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah that’s not how I define evil, buddy. social norms that cause suffering are evil whether they’re the majority or not.

I'm a materialist and relativist, which is why I play based games such as open-pvp MMOs