Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Grendels Dad posted:

Not to defend the Rock too much, but how would losing that fight to Duncan work, like, at all? He's basically Conan in that movie, and you don't have Conan lose a fight mid-movie and only survive because the other guy gives him some grudging respect for fighting well, or whatever.

Conan loses in Conan too, the point was to show he wasn't ready at that moment and had to have a setback to overcome in the climax. Instead he is equally good right then and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lid posted:

Conan loses in Conan too, the point was to show he wasn't ready at that moment and had to have a setback to overcome in the climax. Instead he is equally good right then and there.

Duncan wasn't his nemesis though, that was some white guy who actually captured The Rock earlier. That fight with Duncan would do nothing to establish what you say, it's there to make The Rock win over the enemies of his enemy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I hated Uncut Gems. Two hours of lovely people yelling at each other. Yes, gambling and capitalism are lovely and destructive, I get the point and agree.

Uncut Gems is actually about how gambling is cool and fun

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

precision posted:

I do agree that Skinamarink is far more effective watched on a small laptop or TV screen while you're in bed in the dark. Seeing it in a theater surrounded by people is weird for it

It was worth watching it in a theater to hear someone exclaim "Oh, thank God!" at the ending, followed by everyone's relieved laughing. Wasn't many people in the theater, but love it or hate it, I think we were all thankful for the break in tension.

Not sure if it would be better or worse watching it at home in the dark. Would certainly emphasize some of the ambience.

Edit: I dropped some important context in the initial drafting without noticing. Fixed now.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 25, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're being funny but I don't know a thing threading thru the anxiety was my building contempt of Sandler's character so that the ending was a catharsis of sorts. Like you're waiting for this guy to gently caress it all and just getting oissed off that he inconceivaby keeps on getting away with it until he mouths off to the wrong guy.

Also it's shot like a loving beautiful dream. There's plenty of other things going on other than the panic attack.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Not to defend the Rock too much, but how would losing that fight to Duncan work, like, at all? He's basically Conan in that movie, and you don't have Conan lose a fight mid-movie and only survive because the other guy gives him some grudging respect for fighting well, or whatever.

Conan lost pretty badly in the middle of the first movie, ended up crucified on the tree of woe and had to be rescued by his surfer friend.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I felt good for Julia Fox because she gets money and away from creepy sweaty dudes (literally every dude in the movie besides Kevin G)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I felt good for Julia Fox because she gets money and away from creepy sweaty dudes (literally every dude in the movie besides Kevin G)

The weird guy she meets in Mohegan Sun was basically playing himself: https://theface.com/culture/uncut-gems-wayne-diamond-safdie-brothers-interview

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Conan lost pretty badly in the middle of the first movie, ended up crucified on the tree of woe and had to be rescued by his surfer friend.

Even in the original Robert E Howard stories, where's a top-of-the-pyramid Slayer of Men, he doesn't always win. Conan is regularly fooled, imprisoned, ambushed, and bewildered. That makes his eventual triumph even more satisfying.

Also even though Gerry Lopez surfs, I do not think that Subotai (his character) does, so he's his "archer and thief friend".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The absolute best moment in Howard's Conan is when Conan lops off a wizards head, the wizard bends over and picks it back , and Conan has an existential crisis about how to handle an enemy he can't defeat by beheading.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Yeah but losing the fight with Duncan doesn't serve a narrative purpose. It's not the setback against the villain fight, it's the Robin Hood beating a much stronger Little John using more than his muscle fight.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember it being just kind of dull
Yeah it's not very good or even entertainingly bad, and I say this as someone with a high tolerance of schlocky action flicks.

On a related note, I was killing some time the other day browsing the DVD section of Target, and I saw something that confused me: a Scorpion King franchise box set. Can you guess how many of them there are without looking it up? Somehow, five

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I believe the star of each sequel is an MMA fighter that had just retired at the time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Every time Howie Ratner put everything on the line for a dubious payout, I clapped and cheered.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Every time Howie Ratner put everything on the line for a dubious payout, I clapped and cheered.

he's always winning! the trick to gambling is to be good at it!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I believe the star of each sequel is an MMA fighter that had just retired at the time.

I was really disappointed in Randy Couture's performance in 2 - I thought he'd be a lot more stylish

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I prefer WWE Studios 12 Rounds trilogy where each movie was just a different wrestler trying to launch their movie career. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with Dean Ambrose in 12 Rounds 3 though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The best part of the Scorpion King sequels is some of them are prequels and some of them are sequels to the prequels, all of which are sequels/prequels to a prequel spin off from a sequel of a remake

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I prefer WWE Studios 12 Rounds trilogy where each movie was just a different wrestler trying to launch their movie career. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with Dean Ambrose in 12 Rounds 3 though.

The Marine has got to be worse though, right? Those were more movies and i think more than one of them had The Miz as their tough action hero.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but losing the fight with Duncan doesn't serve a narrative purpose. It's not the setback against the villain fight, it's the Robin Hood beating a much stronger Little John using more than his muscle fight.

Yeah, this. I was wondering iof maybe the OP confused Duncan for the main bad guy because otherwise the complaint wouldn't make any sense.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

julia fox is insanely hot in that movie. yowza

yes I know that's the point, she's supposed to be "too good looking" for his scummy gambling rear end. and, you know, it's a Hollywood movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

The Marine has got to be worse though, right? Those were more movies and i think more than one of them had The Miz as their tough action hero.

They switched to a new lead the same number of times but yea The Miz took over starting with The Marine 3 and he ended up doing The Marine 4, 5 and 6.

The Marine 2 is probably the most obscure wrestler of them all that they tried to launch into a movie career. Ted DiBiase Jr. was never even a main event wrestler so I don't know why they thought he was movie star material.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince McMahon is a bad business man and this is a consequence of two delusions at once. That all wrestlers are as good of actors as any actor and that making movies is easy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

The best part of the Scorpion King sequels is some of them are prequels and some of them are sequels to the prequels, all of which are sequels/prequels to a prequel spin off from a sequel of a remake

There's a similarly funny thing with the Death Race franchise. There was that Jason Statham reboot which led to a DTV prequel about the guy who was Frankenstein before him with that movie ending with the main character becoming injured in the accident that caused him to wear the mask. Although that was popular enough that they made a sequel which like instantly walked back all his injuries. Then that movie ends with the main character escaping prison and the main bad guy of the film getting injured in such a way that everyone thinks he's Frankenstein and he's the one that dies at the beginning of the reboot. So it kind of just undid the entire reason for the prequel in the first place.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As a Connecticut resident, his wife is probably an even worse businesswoman. She spent $100 million dollars to run for the Senate twice, lost by 20% each time, then got appointed to the Cabinet by Trump, and resigned to run a super-PAC for his re-election which I think went bankrupt. You can say that of course a Republican is going to have an uphill battle in Connecticut, but not making fistfuls of money by grifting Republicans on behalf of Trump? That takes special skill (or lack thereof).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CelticPredator posted:

I love stories about garbage people. It’s fun as hell!!

Coming from the NJ/NYC area, Uncut Gems is an accurate portrayal of our population of human trash always yelling and living in terminal stress. I loving love it!

precision posted:

I do agree that Skinamarink is far more effective watched on a small laptop or TV screen while you're in bed in the dark. Seeing it in a theater surrounded by people is weird for it

Was alone in the theater for the last showing of the night and they had the sound cranked higher than usual for no reason. Definitive way to watch it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

They switched to a new lead the same number of times but yea The Miz took over starting with The Marine 3 and he ended up doing The Marine 4, 5 and 6.

The Marine 2 is probably the most obscure wrestler of them all that they tried to launch into a movie career. Ted DiBiase Jr. was never even a main event wrestler so I don't know why they thought he was movie star material.

They were originally going to have Randy Orton do the second movie because he had actually been a Marine but then it came out that he had Bad Conduct discharge after going AWOL multiple times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

They were originally going to have Randy Orton do the second movie because he had actually been a Marine but then it came out that he had Bad Conduct discharge after going AWOL multiple times.

Not to worry, they made him the lead in 12 Rounds 2: Reloaded

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The whole WWE Films thing really came at this special moment in time between WCW's death and wrestling's fall from its peak of popularity and the Rock crossing over and no longer needing WWE. WWE and its fans got really insecure and you started to hear a lot of really silly arguments like "you wouldn't criticize this story if Lost did it!" Which is obviously dumb because (a) people criticize shows all the time and (b) there's no way WWE ever wanted to be held to the standard of GOOD tv. But all of wrestling was going through an existential crisis screaming about how wrestling popularity is a cycle and it would come back so WWE was like "if we just shove any wrestler in a dtv action movie they'll become a star like the Rock too, right?"

But I mean, at least it gave The Miz a career gimmick. So there's always that.

This is also the period of time WWE became terrified of ever actually making anyone a star for fear of abandonment issues. But that's another session.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse

Tars Tarkas posted:

Unrelated, but I have heard that the OP was 80% done last time, is it finished now?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

STAC Goat posted:

The whole WWE Films thing really came at this special moment in time between WCW's death and wrestling's fall from its peak of popularity and the Rock crossing over and no longer needing WWE. WWE and its fans got really insecure and you started to hear a lot of really silly arguments like "you wouldn't criticize this story if Lost did it!" Which is obviously dumb because (a) people criticize shows all the time and (b) there's no way WWE ever wanted to be held to the standard of GOOD tv. But all of wrestling was going through an existential crisis screaming about how wrestling popularity is a cycle and it would come back so WWE was like "if we just shove any wrestler in a dtv action movie they'll become a star like the Rock too, right?"

This is also the period of time WWE became terrified of ever actually making anyone a star for fear of abandonment issues. But that's another session.

Lost would have been way better if it had incorporated more wrestling storylines

e: John Cena's comedic chops has been one of the best surprises of the past decade

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Driftingmouse posted:

Unrelated, but I have heard that the OP was 80% done last time, is it finished now?

Next week it is!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

davidspackage posted:

Next week it is!

Pretty sure we're all unknowingly involved in somebody's kink here

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If you are wondering if they have PMed me about the thread OP, they have

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Pretty sure we're all unknowingly involved in somebody's kink here

threadging?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Lost would have been way better if it had incorporated more wrestling storylines

e: John Cena's comedic chops has been one of the best surprises of the past decade

John Cena not just being funny in Peacemaker, but bringing genuine feels to a ridiculous character was a real revelation.

Now we just need the right director to bring Wolfenstein: the New Order to the cinema with John Cena as the lead and we're set.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

If you are wondering if they have PMed me about the thread OP, they have

Oh my God, just never make a new thread, this weirdo deserves the torment.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse

davidspackage posted:

Next week it is!

Ah, good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

lol

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pirate Jet posted:

Oh my God, just never make a new thread, this weirdo deserves the torment.

honestly if its just a .jpg of a middle finger I won't hold it against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

It was definitely a traumatic time for them not just because of The Rock but there was a double whammy effect with Steve Austin too. As of like 2002 they had these two mega stars that if you looked at their age they should've been around for years to come. But by early 2004 both Austin and The Rock were gone, and the void they left must've been pretty daunting to think about if you're WWE at that time. With Austin it was more about injuries piling up over time than anything else, but the timing of them both leaving so close together changed the outlook for WWE within a very short span of time.

They recovered fairly quickly though, it was only like a year or two later that they had Cena built up to be the next big main event star.