Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's also possible Warner Bros allows Matt Reeves to work independently of James Gunn's universe.

This is their plan apparently. Make good character movies with more grounded set pieces and allow the DCU with Gunn to do a little more comic based shlock like we get with the MCU. The MCU died with endgame because pretty much every movie except spider man had massive problems with story, pacing, tone, characterization. Far too many flat stupid characters and horrendous plot holes. Partly I think it's because their talented writers and directors kind of moved on to better things while a whole lot of first timers or people who've done like 3 eps of a tv show and an art house flick are now in charge of hundred million dollar franchises.

Like the Eternals. Absolute dogshit movie, directed by a lady who's only recent work of note was an indy about a 60 year old woman in a van having chats at twilight not exactly who I'd pick to helm a movie that needs to be heavy on action with a tight plot written around an ensemble cast being introduced for the first time.

Kind of puts me in the camp with all these movies where I just take a wait and see approach and watch them on streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Neil Armbong posted:

Always nice to see you pop up in these threads. Hope life is still treating you well.

All good so far. Life is starting to settle down into a routine, which is fine by me. I hope you and yours are good too

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lady Radia posted:

it was campy as hell I dunno about gritty

I think Gritty would make an awesome Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Freaquency posted:

It’s OK because I can think of few things less materially important to me than a pontiff validity crisis.

Also maybe some priests are gay? It is peak :catholic:

The whole "gay priest" scandal always puzzled me, because theoretically they're celibate so why does it matter if they aren't sleeping with men instead of not sleeping with women? And if they aren't celibate the gender of whoever they're breaking their vows with shouldn't matter.

Hell, you'd think it'd be a relief to find out priests were loving adults regardless of gender instead of what the sex scandals are usually about.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I found myself in a conversation with some really conservative catholics, Opus Dei style and heard this conspiracy theory from them that made me realize, oh you people are psychotic:

The wave of gay / child abusing priests in the US were due to draft dodgers who joined the priesthood as a way to avoid Korea / Vietnam / etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The whole "gay priest" scandal always puzzled me, because theoretically they're celibate so why does it matter if they aren't sleeping with men instead of not sleeping with women? And if they aren't celibate the gender of whoever they're breaking their vows with shouldn't matter.

Hell, you'd think it'd be a relief to find out priests were loving adults regardless of gender instead of what the sex scandals are usually about.

It's a scandal because of the church's long-standing condemnation of homosexuality. It's another point of gross hypocrisy. You'll notice if you look carefully that even the current pope isn't willing to go all the way to "...homosexuality is not a sin" - he's just drawing back the boundaries of the church's bigotry, because obviously sinners can get into heaven (if they confess), sinners can be allowed to go to church, etc. so he's saying yeah this category of sinner we should not treat as worse than all the rest of us sinners. A big step, of course, but also conspicuously not the bare minimum that would recognize that homosexuality isn't a choice or something bad, it's good and fine actually.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Now everyone is gonna find out how poorly Goldeneye aged!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Silly Burrito posted:

It was fair.

We don’t need Krypton, we don’t need Superman’s parents dying again, people know Superman and his story. Follow the example of the Tom Holland Spider-Man regarding the backstory.

Just have him working with Lois on a case for the Planet, saving the world against some threat(Mongul, Darkseid, Brainiac, etc), and he’s confident and gets the job done in the end.

Cliche, maybe but it’s simple and it will work.

Semi-related, we're in Season 3 of Harley Quinn and just watched the episode where they go into Bruce Wayne's mind. At some point Harley (I think) makes a comment about it being overdone or unnecessary to see again, which really got me.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

Now everyone is gonna find out how poorly Goldeneye aged!

if they remap the controls in a meaningful way it could still be fun

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just fell into a haute couture hole again, and baby, it's good

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Neil Armbong posted:

And speed it up, it's so slow moving.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Love the clickbait tweet which doesn’t even share what the bombshell is about!!!

Beaten, but it's juicy Catholic Church gossip and this guy is retweeting it because he appears by all accounts to be a tradcath loony.

E: People who have spent more time than me thinking about this - is the root of the impending "Catholic civil war" just the fact that Pope Francis isn't enough of a chud for some people? Like were people really questioning his validity as pope until the last couple of years?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 25, 2023

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

I was gonna say what could top that giant space marine sized coat then i scrolled down

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

I was gonna say what could top that giant space marine sized coat then i scrolled down

That designer did two consecutive collections last year. One super wide shoulders, the other super tall shoulders.

It's supposed to be Dracula themed (hence the super long... pink nails?) I dunno, poo poo's weird, I just like rubbernecking it.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 25, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

Man of Steel was good. :colbert:

Man of Steel was pretty great when you look back at the poo poo that came after. IMO the best superman overall, the worst clark Kent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

It's a scandal because of the church's long-standing condemnation of homosexuality. It's another point of gross hypocrisy. You'll notice if you look carefully that even the current pope isn't willing to go all the way to "...homosexuality is not a sin" - he's just drawing back the boundaries of the church's bigotry, because obviously sinners can get into heaven (if they confess), sinners can be allowed to go to church, etc. so he's saying yeah this category of sinner we should not treat as worse than all the rest of us sinners. A big step, of course, but also conspicuously not the bare minimum that would recognize that homosexuality isn't a choice or something bad, it's good and fine actually.

But if it's a choice and the priests are maintaining their vows of celibacy, then there's no such thing as a gay priest even if they have "sinful" thoughts of homosexuality. My understanding is there isn't a hierarchy of sins, so sexual fantasies are equally sinful regardless of the gender of the subject of those fantasies.

I know I'm trying to out logic a 2000 year old religion that's mostly just a system for reinforcing a rigid hierarchy and it's a mostly fruitless pursuit. Starting to get where Martin Luther was coming from.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

But if it's a choice and the priests are maintaining their vows of celibacy, then there's no such thing as a gay priest even if they have "sinful" thoughts of homosexuality. My understanding is there isn't a hierarchy of sins, so sexual fantasies are equally sinful regardless of the gender of the subject of those fantasies.

I know I'm trying to out logic a 2000 year old religion that's mostly just a system for reinforcing a rigid hierarchy and it's a mostly fruitless pursuit. Starting to get where Martin Luther was coming from.

Its still perfectly logical according to catholic doctrine because to sin in thought is the same as to sin in action. We're all sinners, it's whether or not you give into temptation, repent and redress that becomes the sticking point. Some hard liners will lose their mind but from someone who came through the catholic education system this is pretty much in line with much of what I remember.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

I don’t know exactly why this one feels racist but this one feels racist

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Amy Pole Her posted:

Man of Steel was pretty great when you look back at the poo poo that came after. IMO the best superman overall, the worst clark Kent.

Might be nostalgia but I still think Christopher Reeve is unmatched in both Superman and Clark Kent.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Freaquency posted:

I don’t know exactly why this one feels racist but this one feels racist

I mean they're dutch, so fair enough. That's from a "The New Royals" collection, which... I dunno, I'm a rubbernecker, I definitely don't understand fashion.

I kinda like this one from it, gotta lose the crown though. most of the others have... like drapes at the bottom or weird ugly fake jewels in the dress I don't get.

This one is of course called: Princess? No bitch, Queen

Meanwhile, just... what?

Here's the full promo video for this collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRVvQG8xbAc

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Neil Armbong posted:

Given the state of N64 emulation on Switch, I'm not that hopeful :(

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Silly Burrito posted:

I think Gritty would make an awesome Batman.

Well, he did get his start menacing a penguin. https://twitter.com/grittynhl/status/1044258341017587713?s=46&t=cj7KG_Tvr7XxDXppTRU7MQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Amy Pole Her posted:

Silly Burrito posted:

Might be nostalgia but I still think Christopher Reeve is unmatched in both Superman and Clark Kent.

IMO the last movies have struggled to capture the essence of Clark. It's why I bounced so hard off Man of Steel as Snyder fundamentally changed Clark by changing his earth dad Jonathan; instead of learning the concept of right & wrong, he focuses on teaching Clark to be closeted in his powers as us mere mortals aren't ready to understand him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I now await for a MCU romcom.

Thor: Love and Thunder is a romcom.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
New sport just dropped

https://twitter.com/blainehenrytfl/status/1618310631224119298?s=46&t=Clk9mX9DxtMEHYwC8evuLg

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

wandler20 posted:

And speed it up, it's so slow moving.

Uh no. In fact, slow it down. I can’t keep up anymore

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Meanwhile, just... what?

I think it's supposed to be based on a dress you wear to go clubbin'.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Australia day today and its typically a million degrees and humid af.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BlindSite posted:

sounds like a day in australia

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

I mean they're dutch, so fair enough. That's from a "The New Royals" collection, which... I dunno, I'm a rubbernecker, I definitely don't understand fashion.

I kinda like this one from it, gotta lose the crown though. most of the others have... like drapes at the bottom or weird ugly fake jewels in the dress I don't get.

This one is of course called: Princess? No bitch, Queen

Meanwhile, just... what?

Here's the full promo video for this collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRVvQG8xbAc

Haute Couture is insane because it's 95% nonsense and then the last 5% is literally the next five years of fashion.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

it was campy as hell I dunno about gritty

I didn’t think it was campy and it reminded me of Se7en and that was gritty what can I say I’m a simple man

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

My mom was already an ex-catholic by the time I was born (she married a divorcee! In the 70s! got kicked out! assholes!) but as I understand it, there are "mortal" sins and "venial" sins so yeah at least two tiers of sinning. I do not know which category having impure thoughts lands in but you are supposed to confess them.

The catholic church still doesn't let women be priests, right? Your last point there is the important bit. For me, it's just like... new popular pope does progressive things and gets lots of non-catholics going "oh yay they're opening up and he's great how cool" and I just have to throw a bucket of cold water on that because sure, he's an improvement on dead nazi pope, but the church is still telling people they can't use effective contraception, segregating and discriminating by gender, hoarding billions of dollars of wealth and loot, and you know, the whole sheltering pedophiles thing.

so basically,

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 26, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

What does Australia day celebrate? Bastille Day celebrates liberating a prison and then eventually executing their king, Independence Day in America celebrates a bunch of people signing a document that makes them traitors to the king of England and if it hadn't worked everyone who signed their name on that would have been executed. But then there's like Canada day and Australia day and you still have an English monarch on your money

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think it's straight up their Columbus Day.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

What does Australia day celebrate? Bastille Day celebrates liberating a prison and then eventually executing their king, Independence Day in America celebrates a bunch of people signing a document that makes them traitors to the king of England and if it hadn't worked everyone who signed their name on that would have been executed. But then there's like Canada day and Australia day and you still have an English monarch on your money

The landing of the first fleet and the founding of the colonies that went on to form the country.

Its also a big day for people getting their Australian citizenship and there's usually a bunch of awards announced like Australian of the year and honours for charities etc.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My dudes, do you know of good sports bar recommendations around Orlando Florida? Need a place to watch the games.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

It was fair.

We don’t need Krypton, we don’t need Superman’s parents dying again, people know Superman and his story. Follow the example of the Tom Holland Spider-Man regarding the backstory.

Just have him working with Lois on a case for the Planet, saving the world against some threat(Mongul, Darkseid, Brainiac, etc), and he’s confident and gets the job done in the end.

Cliche, maybe but it’s simple and it will work.

Superman is boring that that's why they keep making lovely movies about him. They have to try to put some sparkle on him because he's so gd boring.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
you wouldn't say that if karl urban was playing him

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Intruder posted:

you wouldn't say that if karl urban was playing him

That's probably not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What if Karl Urban played the Injustice Superman in a movie?