Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngkmdA0KvPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I also thought there was only one piece of out-of-game exposition with FFXV and that was the short prequel anime. I really can't remember much else.

Unless we're counting the DLC for having a lot of story, then yeah. There's definitely a lot of DLC and it feels like the exposition in those is can feel bolted on, like someone else who was not part of the original writing team was asked to color between the lines.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxxidation posted:

XV was a strange one because the team was constantly working but they didn't have anything to work on, like that one designer who allegedly spent years modeling a single rock because they didn't have anything else to do.

Pretty sure that was FFXIV 1.0 and a pot, not FFXV, since FFXIV 1.0 was notorious for over-worked stuff like that and other objects.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone have a screenshot of this pot?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure that was FFXIV 1.0 and a pot, not FFXV, since FFXIV 1.0 was notorious for over-worked stuff like that and other objects.

the FFXIV story was about how a single barrel model contained as many polygons as a character model, which was an outlandish waste of resources

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think i've heard a similar story about those kinds of things going back to Daikatana

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Here, from an official presentation at a GDC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plant pot and barrel both technically correct

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's a nice barrelpot... Worth it imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear i think they're counting the flowers in the pot also

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Barrel!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nice flowers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

let's not forget the limsa lominsa opening scene with leviathan (?) leaping over the boat that made even beef PCs start blowing cartoon steam out their ears due to something incredibly silly like every scale being individually rendered instead of bumpmapped

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it's pretty safe to say that everything graphically done in the original XIV 1.0 was wrong.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it's pretty safe to say that everything graphically done in the original XIV 1.0 was wrong.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Even worse than anything from 1.0 is anything from the OF.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Even worse than anything from 1.0 is anything from the OF.

Oh yeah?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rascyc posted:

I also thought there was only one piece of out-of-game exposition with FFXV and that was the short prequel anime. I really can't remember much else.

Unless we're counting the DLC for having a lot of story, then yeah. There's definitely a lot of DLC and it feels like the exposition in those is can feel bolted on, like someone else who was not part of the original writing team was asked to color between the lines.

I mean, I guess they wanted to build a FFXV "universe" ? The amount of side media telling essential stuff is just weird

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15s-retro-themed-beat-em-up-will-be-/1100-6448093/

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV_Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2TUmcAT6r4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsVhwsUFaDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblcNFVVHT8

Apparently there was an important piece of story told through some official screenplay that was only available in the Squenix website or something?

And some of the game trailers contained story info too, but not all of them?

Fun stuff

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 25, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i lol every time i'm reminded of the original xiv crafting system. every single piece of equipment needed to be crafted from entirely too many crafted components from multiple other crafting jobs. most of the components were made from multiple other crafted components. this was like, basic newbie gear and it wasn't available in any other way. also, there was no auction house, so the only way to buy things from other players is by going through player-owned vendor npcs one by one. the rooms were packed full, tiny and poorly optimized, so every step you took would pop vendors in and out of sight.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Never forget FF14's grape controversy.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Colonel posted:

also crisis core's issues are less like. production and more being a cheap psp spinoff. the writing is a bit goofy but the remaster makes some of it a lot worse, not just cause of the dub but cause the visual changes kinda gently caress with the game's cutscene direction sometimes

but like all of the structural stuff is just the nature of what the game is, all of the ff7 spinoff games are made as janky side stories and not full rpgs of their own and crisis core follows the psp spinoff game road of having lots and lots of generic side stuff because you're supposed to play it on the train and not at home. you see the same problems in games like mgs peace walker, a lot of the base stuff in that is interesting in concept but it's not built for you to play it at home so it takes a huge amount of time for relatively little

Crisis Core's issues are that it's pure character assassination every which way you look.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
crisis core’s original cast and narrative arc is deeply stupid and I really don’t like how it portrays Zack’s last stand compared to the original, but the FF7 cast mostly gets its due. except sephiroth, who starts off well but then comes down with a bad case of genesis poisoning

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After 8 hours finally became a Jedi.

I cant remember any other incredibly long prologue since Kotor. FF13 doesnt count since that game never gets good.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Neither does Kotor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

Crisis Core's issues are that it's pure character assassination every which way you look.

Stupid take read the text this time and try again

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Oxxidation posted:

crisis core’s original cast and narrative arc is deeply stupid and I really don’t like how it portrays Zack’s last stand compared to the original, but the FF7 cast mostly gets its due. except sephiroth, who starts off well but then comes down with a bad case of genesis poisoning

They do Aerith extremely dirty, taking away every aspect of her character and giving it back by way of Zack. Girl can't even decide to wear ribbons in her hair by herself, ZACK has to give her the pink ribbon. Don't get me started on the "I'm afraid of the sky" bullshit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
FFXIV, so bad that they brought it a guy to fix it who said "gently caress this, we're redoing the entire game", still has some people who were asking for a 1.0 version kind of like how there's the WoW, classic. I think he was asked during an interview or something and basically said "no loving chance"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

They do Aerith extremely dirty, taking away every aspect of her character and giving it back by way of Zack. Girl can't even decide to wear ribbons in her hair by herself, ZACK has to give her the pink ribbon. Don't get me started on the "I'm afraid of the sky" bullshit.

Aerith’s “steel sky” line was a motif in FF7R and one of the script’s high points, the problem there was less with the concept and more the delivery

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

FFXIV, so bad that they brought it a guy to fix it who said "gently caress this, we're redoing the entire game", still has some people who were asking for a 1.0 version kind of like how there's the WoW, classic. I think he was asked during an interview or something and basically said "no loving chance"

True, but the exact word he said was "Nightmare."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
XBC3 is the only game I can think of where your active battle party is higher than 5 in a non-strategy/tactical RPG context, consistently at 6-7 all the time. Any other games you can think of with an active battle party of higher than 5?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Junpei posted:

XBC3 is the only game I can think of where your active battle party is higher than 5 in a non-strategy/tactical RPG context, consistently at 6-7 all the time. Any other games you can think of with an active battle party of higher than 5?

I remember Star Ocean 5 making a big deal about this.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Junpei posted:

Assuming I'm just sticking to JRPGs, all the Suikoden mainline games except 4 (they have 6 party members). Every Wizardry game also has at least 6, as do many dungeon crawlers derived from Wizardry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Prism posted:

Assuming I'm just sticking to JRPGs, all the Suikoden mainline games except 4 (they have 6 party members). Every Wizardry game also has at least 6, as do many dungeon crawlers derived from Wizardry.

More games need to this. Not too many modern day RPGs are doing it. Baldur's Gate series as well does like 5 party members, sometimes 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I said come in! posted:

More games need to this. Not too many modern day RPGs are doing it. Baldur's Gate series as well does like 5 party members, sometimes 6.

Yeah, they were the ones I was thinking of that didn't fit the JRPG mold: D&D-based RTWP games (plus the Gold Box games) hit 6 a lot.