Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

zoux posted:

Guy on reddit makes a table of dudes who were on a HoF pace but fell off after 30. No actives.

wonder what happened to that Munson guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If CC gets in so should Buehrle (Buehrle should be in)

Buehrle would be in if he got out of the first inning in the last game of 2015.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

plus he tops out the scale on 'would be cool to hang out with'

Also didn't waste your entire afternoon standing around on the mound, grip it and whip it

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GoutPatrol posted:

His career really crashed and burned

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

:drat:

bawfuls posted:

You have to use context neutral stats for this, you can’t just look at raw OBP or SLG.

From 1980-1990 Dawson had a 129 OPS+ with plus defense at a premium position. He led the league in total bases twice and HR once, the later got him an MVP. He was also a plus on the basepaths according to Fangraphs.

As Bill James pointed out long ago, guys who do everything well but nothing outstanding tend to be underrated. They are quite valuable though, which is what WAR helps us to see and appreciate.

All extremely valid points, but that doesn't make a HoFer (in my opinion). But it all boils down to what you think The Hall should be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

I actually do think Buehrle should be in. He falls just (barely) short of the 60 WAR but his perfect game, no hitter, and ring should make up for that
I agree he should be in but I don’t care about the ring or the perfect game in this context.

Much more impressive is his consistency and durability (along with how fast he worked). 14 straight seasons of 200 IP is a remarkable achievement in the 21st century. And he only missed it his final year by 4 outs.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That’s just plane awful

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GPTribefan posted:

That’s just plane awful

I thought it was a very impactful statement

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

CC is in two years? He's gonna be my next big "probably not gonna get it but I'm gonna be sad about it" guy.

Oh i think he's getting in.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If CC gets in so should Buehrle (Buehrle should be in)

Hell, even if CC doesn't get in, although CC should get in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Buehrle, much like Pettitte doesn't belong. He only has 1 top 5 Cy Young finish. I don't think he was ever one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball in any year.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Sydin posted:

This is the big issue, the RSN deals were a huge cash cow for MLB and even if MLB buys back all the rights for pennies on the dollar, the most likely scenario would be them just trying to turn back around and find the next sucker who'll pay big bucks for them. I've seen a lot of speculation that MLB might try to consolidate it all in house and provide its own broadcast/streaming business - which could potentially lead to the death of the regional blackout - but I'm really skeptical that this would happen since I don't see how this would make teams nearly as much money as they would by selling the rights. Additionally there are teams who have rights not sold to Bally Sports, so to create a holistic in house solution MLB would have to actually pony up to buy back the rights from everybody else.

Major League Soccer spent the past, like, six years telling clubs not to sign local broadcasting rights beyond 2022 so they could make an international all-in-one package. Their deal with Apple costs $99 for a whole season if you don't have Apple TV+, so I'd assume baseball's number of games + prestige would cost much, much more, and have a longer lead-off time if they go that route.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

My stance on shithead-exclusion is unchanged: if your play is worthy but you are a huge rear end in a top hat/wifebeater/rapist/nazi/etc then you don’t get in while alive to enjoy and leverage it. Put those guys in 5-10 years after they die and note it on their plaque.

Don't you constantly bitch about Bonds not getting in?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Dave Stieb was great in the 80s. too bad he pissed off reporters and played in toronto. and blew up his back. and rehabbed and came back.

Anyway Stieb ruled

stump collector
May 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

https://youtu.be/8lIFItbwqVA

its a figure of speech!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

stump collector posted:

Dave Stieb was great in the 80s. too bad he pissed off reporters and played in toronto. and blew up his back. and rehabbed and came back.

Anyway Stieb ruled

finally the perfect post

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I didn't actually like Stieb as a kid because I was just a hair too young to remember him being good, and I couldn't figure out why the announcers kept talking up this broken old dude who didn't actually do much. Turns out he ruled and six year old me was dumb as hell.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All this emphasis on peak is I think particularly out of sync with appreciating greatness in the modern game.

As the talent pool deepens and the metagame matures, player usage has tended towards higher intensity for shorter duration. This is most obvious with pitchers, but even applies to hitters who rarely play 162 games anymore.

Given this trend, I think it’s foolish to discount achievements in longevity & consistency. Buehrle is one particularly good e recent example.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Patrick Spens posted:

Turns out he ruled and six year old me was dumb as hell.

This is my favorite part of liking sports but not actually following them. Like, watching the World Cup and knowing that Messi is legendary but not knowing HOW good he actually is and then reading up on him was mind-altering. Dude broke the game and I was under the impression that he's "pretty good."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

All this emphasis on peak is I think particularly out of sync with appreciating greatness in the modern game.

As the talent pool deepens and the metagame matures, player usage has tended towards higher intensity for shorter duration. This is most obvious with pitchers, but even applies to hitters who rarely play 162 games anymore.

Given this trend, I think it’s foolish to discount achievements in longevity & consistency. Buehrle is one particularly good e recent example.

Buehrle would be one of the highest paid pitchers in baseball if he were active today.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

stump collector posted:

Anyway Stieb ruled

:hmmyes:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dave Stieb gives me date vibes, in that his name is an anagram for date vibes.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nodoze posted:

If you aren't gonna put Bobby Abreu in the HoF how are you gonna put Ichiro in :smug:

What the gently caress

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Red posted:

Buehrle would be one of the highest paid pitchers in baseball if he were active today.

He was one of the highest paid when he was active!

Buehrle deserves to be in for that incredible streak of longevity while also being a very good pitcher. The HOF should not reflect solely the most dominant players because that's not what baseball is built around. It's season length and structure makes it a game of endurance and Buehrle is a perfect example of that while also having been a really good pitcher.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nodoze posted:

I actually do think Buehrle should be in. He falls just (barely) short of the 60 WAR but his perfect game, no hitter, and ring should make up for that

I mean, sure, a perfect game is great and all but it has nothing on this

duration: 1:52

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Buehrle should be in the Hall for not giving up his dog.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Put Drake LaRoche in the Hall

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, sure, a perfect game is great and all but it has nothing on this

duration: 1:52

I’ll do you one better!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200504160.shtml
1:39

I was at this game, and I don’t think my dad and I ever even had time to get up from our seats.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I ache for baseball

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm debating heading down to Arizona for 3-4 days in March to catch some ST games and maybe a WBC game; aside from USA vs Mexico none of the early round games in Phoenix are sold out yet and tickets are like $20-$50. Haven't looked at hotels yet though though.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Here's the thread I mentioned earlier about voting people out of the Hall of Fame. I ended up sticking with the voting deadline of February 24th at 12:05 PM Pacific Time, the first pitch of spring training, so if you're interested in participating, that's about a month from now.

I'm interested to see what criteria people end up using to determine when someone actually shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, whether it's based on their on-the-field performance or off-the-field behavior.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm heading to Florida next week to play in a national tournament, I cannot wait. Baseball is back! (for a weekend)

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I'm happy you get to go play baseball but sad that you have to go to Florida

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This will be my first tournament in Florida. In 2021 I did a fall tournament in Arizona where we got to play a game at Goodyear Ballpark (Angel's spring training field) and the Angels/Reds side fields, it was really neat and the fields down there are pristine. Hopefully Florida is not so muggy/rainy this time of year, it'll be at least 5 games in 3 days.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
CC Sabathia will be a first ballot inductee (into my new institution, the Hall of Very Large Baseball Players. Annual attendance will more than double the so called "Hall of Fame")

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Exodor posted:

Also I guess Frank White was a poo poo base runner since his oWAR + dWAR are ~8 higher than his overall WAR. Is there some other factor that would bring down the overall WAR?

This got buried without being answered (I believe). The explanation for this is in the bbref glossary:

"oWAR -- Offensive Wins Above Replacement (everything but Fielding)
The same statistic as Wins Above Replacement for Position
Players (WAR), but with the fielding value excluded.
oWAR + dWAR does not equal WAR.
Adding would count positions twice.
Contains the factor for batting stats, baserunning, a positional adjustment, and the replacement player adjustment."

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

I'm debating heading down to Arizona for 3-4 days in March to catch some ST games and maybe a WBC game; aside from USA vs Mexico none of the early round games in Phoenix are sold out yet and tickets are like $20-$50. Haven't looked at hotels yet though though.

I'm thinking about trying to go to Miami for the WBC semifinals, but I need to be in San Francisco on the 21st at the latest.

This brings up an interesting point. I'm trying to eventually visit all the MLB ballparks (18/30 so far). I haven't done Miami or Phoenix yet. If I see a WBC game, does that count? I'm at an MLB park watching baseball, but it's not MLB baseball.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Paper Tiger posted:

For a while I've been thinking about starting a thread where goons can submit ballots listing people they'd vote *out* of the Hall of Fame. Now seems like a decent time to actually follow through on it.

I'm thinking no limit to the number of people listed on a ballot, and anyone on at least 75% of ballots gets voted out. Submitting a blank ballot would mean that you think everyone already in the Hall should stay in. Just like the actual Hall of Fame voting, you could vote a person out for any reason or no reason at all. Ballots would be sent in via PM, but goons would be allowed/encouraged to 'publish' their ballot in the thread.

Any other guidelines people would want to see? Or a tweak to the threshold?

I'll probably set it up when I get home from work tonight, with a ballot deadline of first pitch of the first spring training game (currently Feb 24th).

Jeter. My ballot is filled out.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive this stupid uninformed question:

But are there many Caribbean players in Major League Baseball nowadays? Has there been a trend towards more/less of them? Are any of them famous/good?

I ask because the West Indies used to be a cricketing powerhouse, but have been poo poo for more than a decade now. And one of the theories is that young people are choosing Baseball as their sport of choice, (or at least the sport of a professional pathway), instead of the far far superior Test Cricket, Who doesn't love a sport that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins?

Again apologies if this question is stupid or ignorant, or worse rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive this stupid uninformed question:

But are there many Caribbean players in Major League Baseball nowadays? Has there been a trend towards more/less of them? Are any of them famous/good?

I ask because the West Indies used to be a cricketing powerhouse, but have been poo poo for more than a decade now. And one of the theories is that young people are choosing Baseball as their sport of choice, (or at least the sport of a professional pathway), instead of the far far superior Test Cricket, Who doesn't love a sport that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins?

Again apologies if this question is stupid or ignorant, or worse rude.
There are a few; the most prominent is the Marlins' Jazz Chisholm