Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Games fun so far. The art style works really well and the way everything pulses with the beat means I'm pretty much tapping my toe the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Serephina posted:

That's... the exact same style of commentary (in the Steam Page's Trailer) that everyone is dunking on Forsaken for. Is it a style of US children's show or something?

yeah, it's from the immensely popular us children's show called the marvel cinematic universe

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

the dialog in the trailer has some of that 90s cringe to it as cowcaster said, although i'd say it felt like a different flavor of bad than the other types of AAA bad writing. more just, jokes that don't work and stale humor. the "well at least things can't get worse" *things get worse* kind of humor. rather than lampshading "THIS trope again!" humor

but the art team put a lot of love into the game. i wish writing teams were in love with the material as much as the design/art team was for these AAA games. because the art direction is actually pretty good, the animation almost Orange-level for what is in-game engine character animation. and that was kind of my feeling on Evil Within 2 as well, where the art/design team had a ball and the writing team was dragging behind not having the same amount of fun (except for a couple of notable scenes)

i'll have to see how it reviews

this trailer also made me realize i should at some point give sunset overdrive a fair chance

god I wish Jet Set Radio managed to become a franchise

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The writing is similar to Forspoken, but for whatever reason this is more palatable. Maybe it’s the art? Maybe it’s the delivery of the lines? I dunno. It’s bad, but it seems more coherent with the rest of the game’s world, if that makes sense.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

That's... the exact same style of commentary (in the Steam Page's Trailer) that everyone is dunking on Forsaken for. Is it a style of US children's show or something?

The animation style & detail looks top notch, tho.

that's not the same style, it's an older and cheesier saturday morning cartoon style
as opposed to the mcu style that tries to pingpong back and forth between cheesy quips vs "serious" storytelling and expensive played straight action scenes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Serephina posted:

it's bad but i think forspoken's problem is that the writers have no interest or love for the material they've been given with the world and game design... or they're afraid that people won't find the material genuinely engaging and interesting so they act above it and detached

thats not the vibe i get here, just that the writers aren't capable of being super funny and are using jokes from the Old Kids Show Jokebook

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Serephina posted:

That's... the exact same style of commentary (in the Steam Page's Trailer) that everyone is dunking on Forsaken for.

Not really. Forsaken feels like it's apologizing for being a fantasy world, while this feels stupid but at least sincere. Now if at some point in the game someone says "you fight with a guitar? that's stupid" then that would be terrible

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you skipped the cutscenes you wouldn't have this problem

powerful post

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Not really. Forsaken feels like it's apologizing for being a fantasy world, while this feels stupid but at least sincere. Now if at some point in the game someone says "you fight with a guitar? that's stupid" then that would be terrible

The one exchange from Forspoken I will probably remember forever if I don't play the full game is

Frey "huh, lots of ruined buildings"

Cuff "this was the center of the government, the ruins are all that is left, it was an important "

Frey "whatever I don't really care"

like the game is embarrassed you have to play it and see their game world.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Trick Question posted:

pentyne posted:

The one exchange from Forspoken I will probably remember forever if I don't play the full game is

Cuff "this was the center of the government, the ruins are all that is left, it was an important "

This makes me think about the debate over Doomguy in Doom 2016 and the famous monitor punch. The people who insist he was punching that monitor because he didn't care about the story and setting, and lament the perceived loss of that attitude in Eternal, are wishing for the badass silent protagonist equivalent of those self-apologetic Marvel quips (giving middle fingers to everything he sees because it's stupid).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

explosivo posted:

Games fun so far. The art style works really well and the way everything pulses with the beat means I'm pretty much tapping my toe the whole time.

It seems like they made a better version of No Straight Roads, which I’m 100% on board for.

Shame about the writing but hey, few games are perfect.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

This makes me think about the debate over Doomguy in Doom 2016 and the famous monitor punch. The people who insist he was punching that monitor because he didn't care about the story and setting, and lament the perceived loss of that attitude in Eternal, are wishing for the badass silent protagonist equivalent of those self-apologetic Marvel quips (giving middle fingers to everything he sees because it's stupid).

no, the equivalent would be if while doomguy smashed the monitor he said "could you BE any more annoying?". you can't compare "annoying quips" to "literal nonexistence of annoying quips".

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Volte posted:

That attitude was still in Eternal anyway. There are cutscenes where Doomguy literally walks off from people as they’re speaking.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

no, the equivalent would be if while doomguy smashed the monitor he said "could you BE any more annoying?". you can't compare "annoying quips" to "literal nonexistence of annoying quips".
It's the silent protagonist equivalent. He's basically miming the Marvel quip to undermine the earnestness of the story (if he were in fact doing that, which he isn't).

Anyway I didn't mean to re-ignite that debate specifically. All the debate over how Forspoken hurts itself by undermining the earnestness of its own story just reminded me of the past discussions of how people wish Doomguy would do that in Doom Eternal.

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't think DoomGuy16 is miming anything from the Marvel Movies, even metaphorically. You've got a weird idea in your head there Volte but I don't think it's coming out right.

Setting that aside, I still get a kick out of the lead dev refusing to elaborate on the Doom16 plot's development, stating "It was put in at the very last minute, no I don't want to talk about it, it's kind of shameful really". And yes, they knocked it out of the park.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Volte posted:

What

I literally just thought he reacted the way you would if you woke up from a coma and someone was like "haha...demons, right? listen, its my fault but it was for the greater good."

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Serephina posted:

I don't think DoomGuy16 is miming anything from the Marvel Movies, even metaphorically. You've got a weird idea in your head there Volte but I don't think it's coming out right.

Setting that aside, I still get a kick out of the lead dev refusing to elaborate on the Doom16 plot's development, stating "It was put in at the very last minute, no I don't want to talk about it, it's kind of shameful really". And yes, they knocked it out of the park.
There's this pervasive idea that keeps coming up that when Hayden is talking near the beginning of Doom 2016, Doomguy smashes the monitor because he's saying "gently caress a story, I just want to shoot demons not listen to any story" instead of just acting in character within the story, and that Doom Eternal suddenly made him care about the corny story.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What

I literally just thought he reacted the way you would if you woke up from a coma and someone was like "haha...demons, right? listen, its my fault but it was for the greater good."
Yes, that's basically right. "I don't care what you're saying, you're an evil dickhead *punch monitor*" and not "I don't care what you're saying, this is a Doom game and Doom games don't have a story *punch monitor*"

edit: whoops it was the chat thread, not this thread, that the original blog post that I was referencing was posted in so that might explain why what I said made no sense. I was referring to this interesting blog post about why that kind of Marvel quip essentially serves to say "sorry for the plot/setting" or "isn't this lame?" and how if Doomguy's punch means what some claim it does, then it's basically doing the same thing.

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1617728064305401857

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 26, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's bad but i think forspoken's problem is that the writers have no interest or love for the material they've been given with the world and game design... or they're afraid that people won't find the material genuinely engaging and interesting so they act above it and detached

thats not the vibe i get here, just that the writers aren't capable of being super funny and are using jokes from the Old Kids Show Jokebook

Trick Question posted:

Austin Walker wrote a good post about this exact thing. They have a whole world with interesting villains and allusions to deep mysteries and they go "haha this is so laaaaame" like a teenager being asked to roleplay in a school project or something.

https://www.clockworkworlds.com/post-cringe/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The writing in Hi Fi Rush seems perfectly fine and well suited towards the style it's going for and not really at all comparable to the "cringe" clips going around from Forspoken imo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

RoboQuest is pretty fun, but there's a lot of "under construction" signs and I feel like I might want a little more content before I commit time to it. Feels like it cribs a lot from Returnal in addition to classic FPS games and Overwatch, and that's good because Returnal is good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Austin Walker wrote a good post about this exact thing. They have a whole world with interesting villains and allusions to deep mysteries and they go "haha this is so laaaaame" like a teenager being asked to roleplay in a school project or something.

https://www.clockworkworlds.com/post-cringe/

I don't think you have to look for an overarching theory to explain it. That style of writing can be good (Thor Ragnarok) or it can be bad (Thor Love and Thunder) and it's about quality, balance, timing and so on. Good writing is good writing and - and also having only seen trailer dialogue - they just did it poorly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

there’s something tautological about a game i’ve never heard of before not actually existing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
what is the best fishing game on steam that isn't Sega Bass Fishing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949600/Intergalactic_Fishing/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256731240/movie480.webm?t=1581441079

there can be no other :colbert:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

pentyne posted:

Maybe I'm weird but it doesn't seem out of character for a teenager to react like that to something like that. Not everyone would react that way but likewise not everyone is gonna react all amazed or whatever.

This game doesn't look great but it really doesn't look as bad like the worst game of all time as the internet wants me to think. But to be fair I'm basing this on clips as I haven't played it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Resdfru posted:

Maybe I'm weird but it doesn't seem out of character for a teenager to react like that to something like that. Not everyone would react that way but likewise not everyone is gonna react all amazed or whatever.

This game doesn't look great but it really doesn't look as bad like the worst game of all time as the internet wants me to think. But to be fair I'm basing this on clips as I haven't played it

it's the dissonance between making this epic sprawling open world, the whole point of which is to explore and find cool things, and have your voiced protagonist basically making GBS threads all over it constantly

I assume it's not 100% that from start to finish, but it really takes me out of the game when it happens, like yanking the rug out from the player who might actually want to see those little lore tidbits.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

pentyne posted:

what is the best fishing game on steam that isn't Sega Bass Fishing?

RDR2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQTV1JolYoo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

the dialog in the trailer has some of that 90s cringe to it as cowcaster said, although i'd say it felt like a different flavor of bad than the other types of AAA bad writing. more just, jokes that don't work and stale humor. the "well at least things can't get worse" *things get worse* kind of humor. rather than lampshading "THIS trope again!" humor

but the art team put a lot of love into the game. i wish writing teams were in love with the material as much as the design/art team was for these AAA games. because the art direction is actually pretty good, the animation almost Orange-level for what is in-game engine character animation. and that was kind of my feeling on Evil Within 2 as well, where the art/design team had a ball and the writing team was dragging behind not having the same amount of fun (except for a couple of notable scenes)

i'll have to see how it reviews

this trailer also made me realize i should at some point give sunset overdrive a fair chance

This is on Gamepass

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It would be funny to go "giant buildings, whatever, not interested" in a linear shooter or something, but in an open world game it's a bit daft.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mistermojo posted:

I forgot how incredibly creepy the the spiders in Rain World are. it doesn't help that a dead one wound up in my shelter somehow
the centipede-spiders are so goddamn awful I hate how they move :cry:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have discovered someone made a Pushmo clone that is coming out next month

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1820790/PictoPull/

and it has crash and stretch puzzles too

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Tbf I don’t think the game is a complete scam, (as in “take the money and run”) but I’m fairly certain it’s kind of like how that DayZ nockoff was hyped eons ago and very quickly fizzled into nothing when it became clear it was developed by Dreamers and nothing else. H1Z1 I think it was called?
I feel like H1Z1 definitely helped in setting up the Battle Royal trend, a version of it that wasn't in the jankfest Arma eco-system.
Then promptly got left in the dust by competitors.

goferchan posted:

Shadows Over Loathing has one, but it also has this, which turns a bunch of non-spider enemy encounters into spiders:

Selecting that option also allows you to select "Arachnophonia" which replaces all enemy combat sounds with chittering spider noises.
Usually I get over shithead producers of media but this one still cuts deep :(

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sunset Overdrive is one of those games that wants you to think it's fast but plays real slow.

I dunno if that makes any sense.
I get it, I've played through the game twice and whatever DLC is on the PC.
It's not fast but the combat is constantly in motion, you're always jumping/grinding/bouncing/swinging.
The music was top notch for it too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rRTBAz6hg

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Titanfall 2: Ultimate Edition is $3.99AUD on Steam which is just a ridiculous bargain.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What

Yeah, I always interpreted Doomguy's dismissive violence as him just being so furious at the state of things he's flatly uninterested in whatever lame excuses the corporate elites have cooked up to try and smooth things over. It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he's overflowing with how much he cares.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fuckpot posted:

Titanfall 2: Ultimate Edition is $3.99AUD on Steam which is just a ridiculous bargain.

If you don't buy this you are a cop.

Titanfall is basically a first person moba, there's a gamemode with NPC soldiers you can murder before real players murder yo, also your ultimate is dropping a big robot from the sky.

Man I need to play some titanfall this weekend

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This is exactly correct btw in case anyone thought ddpm was joking. This game is loving great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I assume the Dark Zone in The Division is balanced around multiplayer? Because I was pretty overwhelmed as soon as I stepped in. I got my rear end kicked by multiple groups of elite enemies. I eventually managed to get some extractions, but it was a whole lot of effort for pretty average loot. I was solo because I think no one in my level range was playing (not surprising given the game’s age).

It was still fun though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I assume the Dark Zone in The Division is balanced around multiplayer? Because I was pretty overwhelmed as soon as I stepped in. I got my rear end kicked by multiple groups of elite enemies. I eventually managed to get some extractions, but it was a whole lot of effort for pretty average loot. I was solo because I think no one in my level range was playing (not surprising given the game’s age).

It was still fun though.

Div 1 or 2? On 2 the DZs have various areas of interest and they spawn enemies of varying difficulty. You can check on the map what difficulty the area is it goes from like normal to heroic. So you may have ran into a particularly difficult group of enemies but you can technically make your way and plink at some of the easier groups for loot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Div 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DZ is definitely balanced around Multiplayer and in my experience wasn't really worth doing other than if you want some PVP with the potential of maybe getting some loot.