Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Messier was a beloved face

this is cruel phrasing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yes you were wrong about Jagr's last 7 years being mediocre (the post you quoted), thank you for admitting that.

Whether Messier's last 7 years were actually mediocre is debatable. He played on some really bad teams and still produced at an admirable level but my memories of him defensively in that era are not positive, but a lot of that could just be optics.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveyUpper/status/1618419805824118785?s=20&t=FCTifrpLBvhYmG5uW8Zgrw

This is pure filth from Kakko. I missed the game because I'm in Italy for work. Looks like the kid line did really well last night?

I haven’t seen any of the stats, but eye test wise I think they did play really well, it seemed like they were constantly in the Toronto end, I thought our best line on the night for sure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I gotta admit I'm really enjoying Rangers prospect ennui now that Jack Hughes is a top 5 player in the NHL

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Straight into the water bottle even. This is a thing of beauty.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I can't believe I'm doing this again, but man no Lidstrom is the 2nd best defenceman ever. He is the only defenceman over the age of 35 to have won the Norris Trophy in the expansion era, having done so three times including at age 40 (the year before he retired). He also won four other Norris trophies and a Conn Smythe for good measure. He made the playoffs every single year of his career and only retired because he wasn't interested in going through a rebuild. He likely had another 5 seasons in him if he'd wanted to keep going, his play had barely declined by age 41 when he hung them up.

Aside from Orr, the only player who maybe competes for the crown of best defenceman ever with Lidstrom is Eddie Shore who retired in 1940 and is most notable for nearly killing Ace Bailey during a game.
Bourque was a runner up for the Norris at 40 when he retired, made the playoffs every year except 1 on much less stacked teams, was top 4 in Norris voting in 19 of 22 years, never finishing below 7th and was runner up for MVP twice. To me, Bourque was considerably better before they turned 30 and still close enough past then that he had the better career.

Eric the Mauve posted:

We're talking about the last few years of his career here, which were pretty good but no really no better than the last few year's of Messier's. Messier is underrated as a player because he's a dick and because the tail end of his career was so Kafkaesque.

Kinda odd really--Messier was a beloved face of hockey most of his career and then spent his final playing years as a pariah. Jagr was a pariah most of his career and then spent his final playing days as a beloved face of hockey.
This is probably the only list that underrates Messier. He was also still beloved on the Rangers, it's just Vancouver that was an issue.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hasek has a higher playoff sv% than Roy

Roy did have Sakic and Foppa tho

Roy had three conn smythes tho that is a bit of a team trophy I suppose but it's the same argument I'm gonna use to say Crosby is better than McDavid so anyone reading this shut your pretty mouth

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
enjoy seeing posters talk about all the things that Bourque didn't win as evidence of his greatness

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveyUpper/status/1618419805824118785?s=20&t=FCTifrpLBvhYmG5uW8Zgrw

This is pure filth from Kakko. I missed the game because I'm in Italy for work. Looks like the kid line did really well last night?

yeah they did well, Kakko still the straw the stirs the drink on whatever line he's on and Chytil can score 'em, but the rest of the lines seemed blah from what I saw. Gallant is just too cute with his bullshit line juggling at this point. The Chytil faceoff goal was great too though

Rangers feel like a team that can't decide if they want to be a good competitive team or not.

ThinkTank posted:

Hasek is twice the goaltender either Roy or Brodeur was. He should be higher on the list. He had 81 shutouts in 735 games and unlike those other two guys did not play on defence oriented super teams.

Between 1993-1999 his save percentage was 930 or better every year aside from one when it was a paltry 920. Roys best year during that stretch was a 923 and ranged as low as 906. Brodeur was the height of the trap era Devils and only topped out at 927. Hasek's worst season in that stretch would've been the second best for both Roy and Brodeur.

Hasek was definitely more skilled. Brodeur was a good goalie for sure but most of his accomplishments also come from starting in the league at 20, playing a shitload of games every year, and spending his prime years playing behind a stacked team with multiple hall of fame defensemen in front of him. Was he a "fraud" or bad goalie that doesn't deserve accolades? No, but definitely wasn't the most skilled goalie and his numbers success is in huge part thanks to his teams.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lidstrom was better than Bourque at everything except rippin' shots

Also true. I feel like Lidstrom got better in his 30's as well rather than tailing off

Eric the Mauve posted:

We're talking about the last few years of his career here, which were pretty good but no really no better than the last few year's of Messier's. Messier is underrated as a player because he's a dick and because the tail end of his career was so Kafkaesque.

Kinda odd really--Messier was a beloved face of hockey most of his career and then spent his final playing years as a pariah. Jagr was a pariah most of his career and then spent his final playing days as a beloved face of hockey.

His return to NY left a bitter taste in the mouth because it was kind of like "look I'm back to lead the Rangers to the promised land again because I'm The Captain!" and then he did dick all for that because he was over the hill and the teams were terrible because they were constructed terribly. I remember rumors that he'd just hang out and read the newspaper and poo poo during practices because he was The Captain and didn't have to do that poo poo, the teams were country clubs, etc. I think at that point hockey was definitely evolving past dicking around in practice and playing yourself into shape in the preseason and all that kinda stuff and systems and details were getting more finely tuned and Messier's response was to I dunno tell people to play harder probably.

Yeah he put up some decent points but he floated a lot

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Crosby stole Kessel's Conn Smythe that first year. It was a total reputational award because he's Gary's beautiful boy. His second Conn Smythe was deserved though.

Levitate posted:

Hasek was definitely more skilled. Brodeur was a good goalie for sure but most of his accomplishments also come from starting in the league at 20, playing a shitload of games every year, and spending his prime years playing behind a stacked team with multiple hall of fame defensemen in front of him. Was he a "fraud" or bad goalie that doesn't deserve accolades? No, but definitely wasn't the most skilled goalie and his numbers success is in huge part thanks to his teams.

Oh yeah, I don't want anyone to think that I'm calling Brodeur, Roy or Bourque anything other than fantastic generational talents. It's no shame to be second best, I'm sure Brodeur and Roy are pretty satisfied with their careers considering the multiple Stanley Cups each won. Just like McDavid is incredible and the most skilled player in the league, but he's still not as good as Gretzky.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 26, 2023

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've always hated that mother fucker

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

mennoknight posted:

Spector also wrote this right before they lost to the blue jackets in overtime
Some kid named Johnson scored and for a second I was like "we lost to Jack Motherfucking Johnson?"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1618679646559830016?t=aS2cBV5NyZVfg05kqXw2lA&s=19

https://twitter.com/HockeyAgent1/status/1618679499423633409?t=pk18J-GQF54UOkn7ZclmPA&s=19

I'm mostly fine with that

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

I've always hated that mother fucker

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Borque going to Colorado to win made me loathe Borque and Boston fans

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Golden Man posted:

Borque going to Colorado to win made me loathe Borque and Boston fans

https://twitter.com/anezbitt/status/1056751106011758594

Islanders fans would have stabbed him

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

What huge losers

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Besides the 12 team no-trade clause this is a decent deal, this pretty much ensures Horvat is gone too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Besides the 12 team no-trade clause this is a decent deal, this pretty much ensures Horvat is gone too

that'd be fair value if he stopped scoring today through the end of the season
Potentially a damned steal

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

One of my favorite Brodeur memories, partly because of Gary Thorne's hilarious call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PoIWzd__uA

:byodood:HE GOT TIED UP AND LOST HIS STICK

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Crosby stole Kessel's Conn Smythe that first year. It was a total reputational award because he's Gary's beautiful boy. His second Conn Smythe was deserved though.

Crosby took tougher matchups and had tougher zone start deployments. Total points were fairly similar though Kessel had more goals.

I think you can make a good argument for Letang getting that CS too tbh. He was a total beast that playoffs and put up 15 points which wasn't that far off Kessel or Crosby.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Just look at Hasek's 98-99 season. It's probably the best single goalie season of the modern era when you look at that Sabres roster. They went to the fn finals that year

Yeah I don't think Roy or Brodeur coulda have gotten that roster to the finals

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah I don't think Roy or Brodeur coulda have gotten that roster to the finals

I think people forget how stratified team payrolls were prior to the salary cap. The Red Wings, Avs and Rangers consistently spent $30-40m more per year than most other teams.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The trapezoid is practically the Martin Brodeur rule, and practically every goalie for several generations emulated Patrick Roy's style. Those two things should probably be taken into consideration.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Good soup! posted:

One of my favorite Brodeur memories, partly because of Gary Thorne's hilarious call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PoIWzd__uA

:byodood:HE GOT TIED UP AND LOST HIS STICK

Thought the puck was a ring ding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Simplex posted:

The trapezoid is practically the Martin Brodeur rule, and practically every goalie for several generations emulated Patrick Roy's style. Those two things should probably be taken into consideration.

They are the Citizen Kane of goalies.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think one of Brodeur's greatest assets was the puck handling and it no doubt added a lot of value in his career. From the goal line back, that was his office and he literally changed the way teams play because you pretty much couldn't dump and chase because he's go get it and fire an outlet pass out of the zone and catch you

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

yeah Kakko was beasting. he actually made another play in the defensive zone to stop Matthews from getting a one-timer in the slot.

the end of the game/OT/third was a lot of "neither team really truly wants to win this game". Leafs and the Rangers seem like similar teams in that there's a lot of talent but, y'know, jeeze.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kessel definitely deserved the Smythe over Crosby in '16 because forwards' defense is unimportant.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes, in isolation it's not a bad deal, but then they gotta trade Horvat.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Also: Hasek was really good. if you put a gun to my head though and asked me to pick one goalie in their prime with my life on the line, it's prime Roy. which means he's a better player IMO. he's proved it. it's also why I go Chris Pronger as the #2 defenseman over Lidstrom/Bourque/etc.

Bourque put up good numbers on lovely teams and never won the big one as the guy. He's not in the top-top tier. Lidstrom is not far behind Pronger, and I'm willing to admit that I didn't watch enough Denis Potvin to affirmatively say otherwise. But he at least produced the goods. Life on the line, since 67 I go:

Orr

Pronger
Lidstrom/Potvin

Niedermayer
Leetch
Robinson
Stevens
Coffey
MacInnis

Bourque
Keith
Chara

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Kessel definitely deserved the Smythe over Crosby in '16 because forwards' defense is unimportant.

Crosby stole MAF's Conn Smythe the second year for not being MAF long enough for Murray to come back.

I'm going to argue until the end of time Pittsburgh sure as hell doesn't get through Washington (if not Columbus) if he's even average.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Rangers bottom six definitely crushed their opposites on the Leafs end which is not terribly surprising, the Rangers top guys like Panarin and Fox were pretty quiet though. Moneypuck had the Rangers and Leafs basically even on xG until the Rangers took the lead in the second, then they didn't generate anything defending the lead and the Leafs took off (Kreider's PP miss wasn't technically a shot so doesn't count towards xG). Only the Rangers third and fourth lines ended up positive by the end of the game, the Leafs only negative players were their bottom 6 (and Benn lol).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pronger's peak was probably better than Lidstrom's but in terms of career Lidstrom takes the cake

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

Pronger's peak was probably better than Lidstrom's but in terms of career Lidstrom takes the cake

maybe. "best full career" doesn't make sense for me as a rubric for this type of thing. I always go with the "gun to my head" test and look at their primes. if you're building a team for a full career, yeah, it'd Lidstrom (especially if you're in Canada or anywhere cold because of Pronger's wife)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes, in isolation it's not a bad deal, but then they gotta trade Horvat.

Yes, my relative support of this move is entirely presupposed on them moving Horvat for a pure futures package. If they keep him then I don't know what to say.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Albino Squirrel posted:

Some kid named Johnson scored and for a second I was like "we lost to Jack Motherfucking Johnson?"

Once upon a time, this would've been accurate. (Offer still valid with the Blackhawks!)

But since the opportunity has been offered to brag:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1618479849089208321

Three Four observations:
-He went five-hole on Darnell Nurse and then got it past the goalie. Kid's good.
-Johnny Gaudreau has now been booed in four buildings this season.
-Who knew their rival's best player walking in free agency would be the thing that, in some strange way and perhaps for only one moment, united the Battle of Alberta?
e- Second-straight OT winner for KJ in that building following the Golden Goal* in the World Juniors.

*Are Canadians the only ones who use the phrase "Golden Goal"? I don't remember hearing it in any context other than international tournaments they win.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 26, 2023

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1618690353451909120

but why

E: lmao whoops

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like Lidstrom a lot but I'll give special marks to the Prongers and Stevenses of the world because the NHL lets those players do their thing in the playoffs. The Rangers beat the Pens last year because of Trouba's elbow. Stevens changed so many playoff series with his elbow/shoulder. Pronger would literally step on a man to win.

As long as the NHL allows that behavior in the playoffs - and they still do even to this day - it's gonna be a real valuable thing to have in a player when you get there.

If it were a one game or playoff type situation I might take Pronger or Stevens over Lidstrom just because of that. because they might kill a guy and turn a series in your favor off of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

(Kreider's PP miss wasn't technically a shot so doesn't count towards xG)

Huh? Was it not a shot attempt?

Ginette Reno posted:

As long as the NHL allows that behavior in the playoffs - and they still do even to this day

Chuckling at the notion that it's only in the playoffs.