Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Oh no I had Louis engage with Sigurd and he became ridiculously hot???

I actually like this game's art style, but I hope they keep the freedom to experiment with different styles depending on what vibe they're going for. I think Shadows of Valentia's character art really nails the sort of aesthetic that I'm into. But I think this game's super pop style is quite charming and distinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cephas posted:

Oh no I had Louis engage with Sigurd and he became ridiculously hot???

I actually like this game's art style, but I hope they keep the freedom to experiment with different styles depending on what vibe they're going for. I think Shadows of Valentia's character art really nails the sort of aesthetic that I'm into. But I think this game's super pop style is quite charming and distinct.

Became???

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Well.... He opened his eyes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Anytime Louis opens his eyes it means poo poo is about to go down

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finished CH22 and I mainly have UI woes after 60 hours of playing.

-Not being able to skip Arena intros
-Leveling up an emblem via Arena throwing you back out into top level menu
etc. Lots of little UI issues but its still pretty good in that regard.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
really want to gush about chapter 17 on hard, I'm probably a bit underleveled (no dlc/skirmishes/stat boosters) so the whole map felt like walking a perilous tightrope. took like 28 turns and 8 rewind charges but it felt soo good to finally beat. this is the most fun I've ever had with a fire emblem, this game rocks

framme has been my standout unit of the whole game so far but I think it might just be the class that's nuts because her level ups haven't really been particularly crazy. between chain guard, obliterating archers/mages/fliers, and dodge tanking in a pinch occasionally she's salvaged a ton of turns that would've otherwise been disastrous. she can even heal sometimes. framme rules

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Seconding the Framme love, she obliterates most colorless units, has staff use in the most staff friendly game since Thracia, and can Chain Guard.

She’s been my MVP for most of the game due to her utility.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

really want to gush about chapter 17 on hard, I'm probably a bit underleveled (no dlc/skirmishes/stat boosters) so the whole map felt like walking a perilous tightrope. took like 28 turns and 8 rewind charges but it felt soo good to finally beat. this is the most fun I've ever had with a fire emblem, this game rocks

framme has been my standout unit of the whole game so far but I think it might just be the class that's nuts because her level ups haven't really been particularly crazy. between chain guard, obliterating archers/mages/fliers, and dodge tanking in a pinch occasionally she's salvaged a ton of turns that would've otherwise been disastrous. she can even heal sometimes. framme rules

This is easily the coolest staff users have ever been and it’s not even close. Like yeah staves are good to broken in basically every fire emblem but having kung fu that can Break weapon triangle neutral opponents and Chain Guard adding a lot of utility means that healers are a ton more dynamic, especially in the early game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

My framme has also turned out extremely well, and I haven't even been taking proper advantage of chain guard like I probably should be. Did you promote her to master monk or the other one?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ROFL Octopus posted:

This is easily the coolest staff users have ever been and it’s not even close. Like yeah staves are good to broken in basically every fire emblem but having kung fu that can Break weapon triangle neutral opponents and Chain Guard adding a lot of utility means that healers are a ton more dynamic, especially in the early game.

second coolest imo; coolest was thracia

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chiming in as another person with an absolutely badass Framme. I gave her one of my Energy Drops and she was 100% worth it. One of my favorite units.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I had bad luck with my Framme and Jean. (Though it seems he's not good in the class anyway, with how his personal apparently works.) I'm considering switching Celine over to Martial Monk, since she has the mixed stat line for it, her speed's not really in doubling range anyway, and Anna, Ivy and Hortensia have tomes covered already.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I enjoy how unabashedly confident and assholeish Goldmary is. While Hortensia is annoying in my opinion, her retainers are some of my favourite characters. Panette is also such a wonderful personality. I’m surprised how engaged (get it) I get with the characters. The thing that’s annoying is that building supports is a pain in the rear end.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Clanne has actually turned out better than Framme for me, though I gather that's just me getting lucky with level-ups if what I've heard about his growths is accurate. He's a Mage Knight with inherited Canto so great mobility, plus his speed is crazy so he's my only mage who can consistently double non-armored enemies. Amazing Levin Sword user too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hortensia knows what game she's in. She gets fire emblem

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Einander posted:

I had bad luck with my Framme and Jean. (Though it seems he's not good in the class anyway, with how his personal apparently works.) I'm considering switching Celine over to Martial Monk, since she has the mixed stat line for it, her speed's not really in doubling range anyway, and Anna, Ivy and Hortensia have tomes covered already.

This makes me think I should do that for Chloe after having in griffin for a while. It gave her a decent mag (better than Framme's) at least and she's got decent stats everywhere but def. I changed her to wyvern for better growths, but I immediately regretted it and need the stave users a lot. Or halbardier or something. I find I don't get great use out of her as a flier, she's dodgy but not dodgy enough, and takes enough damage that sending her off on her own is worrying, and strong but not strong enough to one round things. Having her higher str and speed could be a great asset for both punching and ensuring I have enough staves.

Though that'd leave me with what...one lance use with Goldmary?

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
I put her into martial monk right at 10 and forged her weapon up a bit and she immediately became a really good combat unit, I assume jean would outshine her eventually but you get so many good staff users that I ended up just benching him after having some really unimpressive level ups

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Einander posted:

I’m thinking I want Anna to end up as High Priest, to maximize Luck.

Hargrimm posted:

Clanne has actually turned out better than Framme for me, though I gather that's just me getting lucky with level-ups if what I've heard about his growths is accurate. He's a Mage Knight with inherited Canto so great mobility, plus his speed is crazy so he's my only mage who can consistently double non-armored enemies. Amazing Levin Sword user too.

Yeah my Clanne is Sonic

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

hortensia knows what game she's in. She gets fire emblem

I love all of Hortensias supports. Most people just go along with her wanting to be super cute or defeat her at her own game like Chloe and Celine. I initially thought she'd be an annoying little poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All the paralogues have been on point so far except for Lyn's inexplicably being an FE6 map. The Distant Plains was right there to use for her from FE7 but whatever.

I love that Roy's is wyvern spam. :allears:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FrickenMoron posted:

I finished CH22 and I mainly have UI woes after 60 hours of playing.

-Not being able to skip Arena intros
-Leveling up an emblem via Arena throwing you back out into top level menu
etc. Lots of little UI issues but its still pretty good in that regard.

After Lost Eidolons, any UI issues this game has go completely undetected by me

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I managed to finish that Tiki Paralogue it only took having Etie & Alcryst both deployed and 40 turns of my life :toot:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I told myself I have too many staff users on my team but then Panduro showed up and I’m bringing this party boy all the way to the end

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I forgot I gave her a skull mask and got woken up to this sight.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Clanne had more natural (ie before Celica’s bonuses) than Citrine on her join map, so mine is incredibly blessed.

He’s also a poo poo wrecker and I put him in Sage for the S tomes even if Mage Knight’s skill and mobility are better.

I don’t even dislike the sage outfit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My Clanne and Framme are both monsters. The kids are too strong and cannot be stopped.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The absolute worst thing and not remotely tested by the developers is when you want to give your whole team one skill.

Better beat up Sigurd 10-12 times in a row and then go into a different room to buy and inherit the skill.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

My Citrine and Celine are definitely more siege mages, they have a ton of Mag but lose out to Clanne in Spd. My Framme is a monster, but a little squishy

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My Clanne and Framme are both monsters. The kids are too strong and cannot be stopped.

No christmas knight left behind

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

No christmas knight left behind

The first game where I think i'm gonna need to take both to the end.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tae posted:

The absolute worst thing and not remotely tested by the developers is when you want to give your whole team one skill.

Better beat up Sigurd 10-12 times in a row and then go into a different room to buy and inherit the skill.

This is me but Byleth and Edelgard when I had to inherit Lineage and Teaching onto every character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've decided i'm only giving people emblems based on what proficiences I want for them and they're just gonna need to deal with only having skills from those one or two guys.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

All the paralogues have been on point so far except for Lyn's inexplicably being an FE6 map. The Distant Plains was right there to use for her from FE7 but whatever.

I love that Roy's is wyvern spam. :allears:

I respect Lyn's paralogue; it's not her fault you never actually fight any Sacaeans in FE7. I'd rather have what we got than any of her maps, doubly so for The Distant Plains if that meant including its rain gimmick.

Though the maddest of them all has to be Leif's, true to form. I'm proud of myself for clearing it without any staff gimmicks.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I've done so much violence to Tiki.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gyoru posted:

There is no NG+ or any real postgame

You can get SP scrolls from the higher floor Tempest Trials after beating the game, but at that point you don't need them because you've already cleared the meaningful content
once again echoes proves itself the best game by virtue of having an extensive postgame

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This game already has a lot of content, I don't see what a postgame would add. If anything I wish they had condensed the paralogues more or gave a few character specific paralogues, the emblem ones are nice for nostalgia but also very samey.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I respect Lyn's paralogue; it's not her fault you never actually fight any Sacaeans in FE7. I'd rather have what we got than any of her maps, doubly so for The Distant Plains if that meant including its rain gimmick.

Though the maddest of them all has to be Leif's, true to form. I'm proud of myself for clearing it without any staff gimmicks.

I warpskipped Leif's map, which I feel is getting into the spirit of Thracia 776.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the deal with Tempest Trials? I haven't touched the tower of trials at all yet but I'm wondering if there's any fun to be had just doing random battles in there or if it'd be mostly kind of rote.

FrickenMoron posted:

This game already has a lot of content, I don't see what a postgame would add. If anything I wish they had condensed the paralogues more or gave a few character specific paralogues, the emblem ones are nice for nostalgia but also very samey.

Postgame stuff is nice in games where you can spend a lot of time building up characters because it gives you more to do with them after you finish the story. Sometimes it can be a bit of a bummer to have this army of incredible badasses but then only have like three more chapters where you get to enjoy using them.

Though it's worse in the FE games where you're encouraged to class hop for skills because that sometimes results in your units being in every role except the one you actually want them to be in for most of the game so they can get the skills to shine in their final class for four or five chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
For Leifs map I facetanked the Ballistas with Lyns clones, the ai *loves* attacking them over everything else and danced them into oblivion by sending someone fast and dodgy to kill the archers asap.