Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

lol hell yeah. he's been fine as a 6th/7th defenseman. he is better than Hajek and Nemeth. this saves Drury from himself if we don't make another idiotic signing like that. that's about how much money we can afford to spend on that type of guy. now please dump Hajek and rotate Harpur in with Jones for the next year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Chuckling at the notion that it's only in the playoffs.

Oh sure but it matters less in the regular season since knocking out a player on another team only helps you a little bit due to the way the schedule is set up.

knock out an opposing team's star player in a playoff series though and you can win on the backs of that

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Yeah, he sucks but hes been “fine” on the bottom pair and that contract can be buried easily. Not gonna call it a good signing but im not mad.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

maybe. "best full career" doesn't make sense for me as a rubric for this type of thing. I always go with the "gun to my head" test and look at their primes. if you're building a team for a full career, yeah, it'd Lidstrom (especially if you're in Canada or anywhere cold because of Pronger's wife)

This is always an interesting debate and both are valid. Do you lean more into the player in their peak? Or do you lean more into players who are dominant for a very long time? I tend to admittedly do both.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

There's always room on an NHL d corps for a guy who's big and doesn't complain

eXXon posted:

Huh? Was it not a shot attempt?

I guess the argument is that it wasn't shot at an angle that could reasonably go in? All I know is that it should be a big bump in the chart if it counted and it doesn't exist.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I still choose Lidstrom because it's not like there is a huge difference in the peaks. Pronger's was better but Lidstrom's was also incredible and his "peak" was basically his entire career.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lidstrom was a machine. He did absolutely everything at an A- level except his hockey instincts which were A++++, he was indestructible, and he was the ideal team captain who kept his mouth shut and worked his rear end off. I have him as a borderline top 5 player all time. I swear that guy had like 2 seconds' clairvoyance, he was loving always a stride ahead of the play.

I think I’ve brought it up on past times Lindstrom has come up, but it’s worth mentioning every time.

The last 2 minutes of the ‘09 Pens Wings game is just unbelievable in terms of how Lindstrom controlled the play. Like, I remember watching the dude just take the puck and keep running it up past a desperate to defend penguins team. It took MAF loving making the save of his life to prevent them from scoring.

Unfortunately a meteor did not then hit the stadium , but whatever.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

There's always room on an NHL d corps for a guy who's big and doesn't complain

This is true, him being 6’6 helps

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Harpur has been fine but he doesn’t really play like he is 6’6” and should be trying to murder guys more often

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Y’all are debating on the great goalie of all time and haven’t even mentioned the actual greatest goalie of all time:

https://youtu.be/TavsqFdZ1Hg

I watched 5 seconds of this video before I had to close it because the dude talking was super boring

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If these guys were so good how come they're not the fastest to 25 wins in NHL history?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Once upon a time, this would've been accurate. (Offer still valid with the Blackhawks!)

But since the opportunity has been offered to brag:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1618479849089208321

Three Four observations:
-He went five-hole on Darnell Nurse and then got it past the goalie. Kid's good.
-Johnny Gaudreau has now been booed in four buildings this season.
-Who knew their rival's best player walking in free agency would be the thing that, in some strange way and perhaps for only one moment, united the Battle of Alberta?
e- Second-straight OT winner for KJ in that building following the Golden Goal* in the World Juniors.

*Are Canadians the only ones who use the phrase "Golden Goal"? I don't remember hearing it in any context other than international tournaments they win.

It was used in that context in the 90s in soccer, but I haven't heard it in hockey context any other place. Sudden victory is how it's worded in USA Hockey, and it's Sudden Death in IIHF rules and in NHL context often enough (though overtime goal seems equally used). I think it's just a Canadian thing in hockey.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

This is always an interesting debate and both are valid. Do you lean more into the player in their peak? Or do you lean more into players who are dominant for a very long time? I tend to admittedly do both.

yeah I go with the peak argument because it’s easy for me to watch McDavid in the playoffs last year or Pronger in 05-06/06-07/09-10 and know “there’s been like…a handful of guys that have ever played the game better than that” as opposed to like Selanne still being very good at like 39. it’s impressive, but I’m gonna judge him off how nutty he was when he scored 76.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I’m actually quite happy with the placement of that chair, it’ll give a good view of the iceberg.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

fawning deference posted:

I think one of Brodeur's greatest assets was the puck handling and it no doubt added a lot of value in his career. From the goal line back, that was his office and he literally changed the way teams play because you pretty much couldn't dump and chase because he's go get it and fire an outlet pass out of the zone and catch you

yeah well hasek's greatest asset was that he was better at stopping the puck than brodeur

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Simplex posted:

The trapezoid is practically the Martin Brodeur rule, and practically every goalie for several generations emulated Patrick Roy's style. Those two things should probably be taken into consideration.

This, but for the Sean Avery rule

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

I’m actually quite happy with the placement of that chair, it’ll give a good view of the iceberg.

Eh it's a short term relatively low cost deal for a top six winger. Yes they had a prime opportunity to trade him now, but I don't think this significantly reduces his value as a trade chip down the line. Assuming he stays around a 55-65pt forward or better, that's a moveable contract at the next two deadlines. It's totally different from the mega deal for Miller which was an immediate and obvious self inflicted cannon ball wound to the stomach.

I don't think Kuzmenko's trade value was anywhere near as high as folks were thinking, a first round pick was a pipe dream. He'd likely return the second they idiotically dumped to keep Dickenson and while I'm all for picks I'm even more for Pettersson.

He's not gonna do anything to help the team improve, but it's not gonna harm and might (and I'll stress might) contribute slightly to convincing our star centre to re-sign.

With all that said, I wouldn't have cared slightly if they traded him. I am so sick of this core.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I know we're Canucks fans so we can only see darkness, but there is the not outlandish possibility that Kuzmenko improves year over year. He'll be Pettersson's regular winger in a contract year. If he jumps to say 80-90pts suddenly they're holding the most valuable trade deadline asset on the market.

A rebuild isn't a one and done fire sale at the first opportunity. It's about making conscious decisions to improve the team long term, and sometimes that includes betting on assets to increase in value for sale at a later time.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

If JT is not a centre (he’s not), then the Canucks have 38 million /45% tied up in wingers.

Wingers are the super valued position right now right?

Again in isolation it’s a fine deal, but they could have got a great price for him at the deadline, virtually free on the cap he’s about the only top 6 forward a bunch of capped out teams could have targeted.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That Kuzmenko deal is great for the Canucks. I'm not sure why he took it however but I'm assuming its to time the cap jump since he'd probably get squeezed this summer as a ufa

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

Again in isolation it’s a fine deal, but they could have got a great price for him at the deadline, virtually free on the cap he’s about the only top 6 forward a bunch of capped out teams could have targeted.

I think a lot of teams were rightfully questioning his shooting percentage and they'd have no chance to retain him beyond this year if they were capped out. Based on past deals for guys like that, his return would've been a 2nd round pick or a B prospect.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Clearly the greatest goalie every is Sergei Bobrovsky. Because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZPhiT2PeQ

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Eh it's a short term relatively low cost deal for a top six winger. Yes they had a prime opportunity to trade him now, but I don't think this significantly reduces his value as a trade chip down the line. Assuming he stays around a 55-65pt forward or better, that's a moveable contract at the next two deadlines. It's totally different from the mega deal for Miller which was an immediate and obvious self inflicted cannon ball wound to the stomach.

I don't think Kuzmenko's trade value was anywhere near as high as folks were thinking, a first round pick was a pipe dream. He'd likely return the second they idiotically dumped to keep Dickenson and while I'm all for picks I'm even more for Pettersson.

He's not gonna do anything to help the team improve, but it's not gonna harm and might (and I'll stress might) contribute slightly to convincing our star centre to re-sign.

With all that said, I wouldn't have cared slightly if they traded him. I am so sick of this core.
I appreciate your analysis, but this is me as a Canucks fan

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i think that’s a great deal for the Canucks. or rather, it would be if they trade him. it would be a better deal for a contending team. i’m surprised Kuzmenko is taking it. maybe they really do think it’ll be a flat cap. i feel like he could have gotten like 5x4years somewhere or something.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I think a lot of teams were rightfully questioning his shooting percentage and they'd have no chance to retain him beyond this year if they were capped out. Based on past deals for guys like that, his return would've been a 2nd round pick or a B prospect.

Perhaps true, but in that case the Canucks should be questioning that same shooting percentage.

I think the biggest issue here going forward is the timing, obviously you have to do it before the trade deadline, but the Canucks have to move a winger, even if Miller plays Centre. Brock, Kuzmenko, Garland, Podz, Hoglander, Pearson, Mikyehev - all notionally top 9 wingers. Now instead of getting screwed on getting rid of Garland or Brock they will get taken to the cleaners as they are forced into a move.

Edit; that said if Petey said sign him, or even gave that indication then sure whatever. Find it hard to believe they are best buds after 4 months but whatever.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 26, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

Edit; that said if Petey said sign him, or even gave that indication then sure whatever. Find it hard to believe they are best buds after 4 months but whatever.

I think it's less them being best buds and more him getting his first consistent linemate ever.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WeaponX posted:

Harpur has been fine but he doesn’t really play like he is 6’6” and should be trying to murder guys more often

He got wrecked trying to murder somebody against Pittsburgh in the preseason for Columbus.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

Perhaps true, but in that case the Canucks should be questioning that same shooting percentage.

Kuzmenko basically never shoots unless he's less than five feet from the net or he deflects the puck. He's going to have an above league average shooting percentage for his entire career unless he changes the way he plays.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

that kuzmenko signing is good but i'd love to see what kind of plan canucks management have where they don't just end up trading him at the deadline in two years as they miss the playoffs for the 5th consecutive season

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

SoggyBobcat posted:

Kuzmenko basically never shoots unless he's less than five feet from the net or he deflects the puck. He's going to have an above league average shooting percentage for his entire career unless he changes the way he plays.

It's 17% with an average distance of 22 feet. Money puck has 20 goals from 13.5 expected for all situations. 5v5 it's 11 goals from 7.55 expected with 14.3% shooting and an average distance of 27 feet. Matthews, for comparison , is 15 goals on 16.65 expected and 8% shooting from a range of 26 feet at 5v5 this year. Last year it was 38 goals from 30 expected 27 foot average release point and 11% conversion at 5v5.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dan Cloutier is the best goalie of a generation. So many memories.

Also re: Hasek - it's more that he shouldn't be in the top 10 alone. I'd atleast put Roy in there at a minimum. They're the top 3 goalies ever IMO and are on equal levels to me, each with their own strengths. Hasek was no doubt incredible in Buffalo. I'm also not really a fan of putting active players into "all time best" lists

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the thing that has always put hasek ahead of roy and brodeur for me is the 98 olympics. that czech team was not exactly full of all stars and he had a .97(!) GAA and a .963 SV . i mean thats just insane

just lol at this piece of hockey on the internet history:

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 27, 2023

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Jhet posted:

It was used in that context in the 90s in soccer, but I haven't heard it in hockey context any other place. Sudden victory is how it's worded in USA Hockey, and it's Sudden Death in IIHF rules and in NHL context often enough (though overtime goal seems equally used). I think it's just a Canadian thing in hockey.
I've only heard it as "Golden Goal" in hockey when it's literally used to win a gold, e.g. Crosby in 2010. I've heard overtime goals described as 'golden goals' in soccer, but that's very much not a Canadian-ism.

For the current game, I'd just describe it as an 'OT goal,' or more specifically a 'what-the-gently caress-were-you-doing-there-Nurse-I-can't-believe-how-much-we-pay-you OT goal'.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I understand that the Canucks have too much invested in wingers but Kuzmenko is fun and hasn’t even gotten a tonne if power play time. Plus he seems fairly charismatic and happy and he smiles a lot so at least he is a break from darkness.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 27, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah I've only ever heard golden goal in Soccer - usually in a tournament where it's sudden death without penalties. They don't tend to do these formats anymore.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
update on the Rangers/MSG using facial recognition to ban all employees who work at law firms that are suing them: our owner is currently going on TV slovenly wearing a Rangers scarf and looking/sounding like poo poo, threatening to purposefully stop liquor/beer sales at MSG during a Rangers game while putting signs like this up at all the vendors.

still an upper-tier NHL owner. We Love JD & The Straight Shot, Sir

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 27, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/llysowski/status/1618770480068165633?s=46&t=EN0HCb_wFsIkTKEgAF_SEw

Sabres playoff hopes are dead if Samuelsson is out for an extended period. His injury earlier this season led to their 8-game losing streak. hosed up.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

WoodrowSkillson posted:

bullshit putting yzerman behind sakic

Awards voting factoring in is dumb.

clean ayers act posted:

the really baffling thing about the athletic's list is that they're doing it in the middle of the season
you would think it would be prime dog days of summer content to fire off daily and drive traffic. the fact they're doing it now makes me wonder how desperate things are getting

The organizational prospect rankings are being released too! That's another month of summer content.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

the thing that has always put hasek ahead of roy and brodeur for me is the 98 olympics. that czech team was not exactly full of all stars and he had a .97(!) GAA and a .963 SV . i mean thats just insane

just lol at this piece of hockey on the internet history:

Only 4 D feels a little light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

I can't believe I'm doing this again, but man no Lidstrom is the 2nd best defenceman ever. He is the only defenceman over the age of 35 to have won the Norris Trophy in the expansion era, having done so three times including at age 40 (the year before he retired). He also won four other Norris trophies and a Conn Smythe for good measure. He made the playoffs every single year of his career and only retired because he wasn't interested in going through a rebuild. He likely had another 5 seasons in him if he'd wanted to keep going, his play had barely declined by age 41 when he hung them up.

Aside from Orr, the only player who maybe competes for the crown of best defenceman ever with Lidstrom is Eddie Shore who retired in 1940 and is most notable for nearly killing Ace Bailey during a game.

This discounts that Lidstrom's peak includes three distinct eras, all based on how much attention he was getting.
- '95 to '98, where guys on the team and those that know better are saying Lidstrom is the best player on a Stanley Cup champion that features lots of popular, star forwards
- '98 to '00, where Lidstrom is now being recognized as one of the best defensemen in hockey, but isn't really getting the credit for it because he isn't a large, bodychecking Canadian
- '01 onward, where Lidstrom is the gold standard for defensemen across the NHL, with Norris and Conn Smythe trophies to solidify that

Nick Lidstrom basically had a peak of 17 seasons. Never fell off. Never messed up.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lidstrom was better than Bourque at everything except rippin' shots

And the Red Wings played a much different system, at a different time, than those Bruins teams.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Much as I hate to grant it to him, he and Datsyuk on the ice were like a "you're not scoring and we're probably going to actually" button that a coach could push whenever he felt like

There was a game in 2010 against the Flames where Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg went from outside the zone to scoring a tap-in goal in the last five seconds of the game, before Nick scored the winner in overtime. Absolutely crazy.