Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Seriously did the writers just forgot Alexander existed? Was Worf being a lovely parent planned writing?

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Demilich posted:

Seriously did the writers just forgot Alexander existed? Was Worf being a lovely patent planned writing?

I feel like it probably started with the first, and then after a while when the writers finally remembered they just decided, what ever why not just lean into it.

I feel like a lot of shows, particularly older more serial ones, are/were written that way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard S3

Riker: “Hey Worf, whatever happened to Alexander?”

*Worf just stares blankly at him while the camera holds there for a solid minute before cutting to an entirely different scene*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trixie Hardcore posted:

He says he’s coming back and Benjamin Sisko would never abandon his family so he comes back. He’s not bound by linear time and he wouldn’t miss the birth of his second child so he’s definitely back before then. Anyway, if anyone wants to disagree with me regarding this matter I’d be happy to physically fight them in a venue of my choosing.

You have my sword gravity sabre

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Admiralty Flag posted:

You are a cowardly p'etaQ if that venue does not include Anbo-Jyutsu, the ultimate evolution of the martial arts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow they really want to touch those poison needles

They can barely hold back

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, who wouldn't want to escape from that episode?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Anbo-Jyutsu is for soft Federation babies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol gets me every time

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Star Trek!!

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Gatts posted:

Star Trek!!

Yeah!

Rewatching TNG after my first time DS9 experience.

Watched the first episode of SNW as well. Pretty good.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SNW only gets better. A couple questionable decisions along the way, but everything else is so good it doesn't matter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pretty people, pretty sets, pretty good writing.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The General posted:

SNW only gets better. A couple questionable decisions along the way, but everything else is so good it doesn't matter.

Once it wraps up it's obligatory Discovery tie in crap, it's really loving good.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Noam Chomsky posted:

Finished my first DS9 watch. Amazing show but I don’t like how it ended all that much.

So as someone who just recently watched it - what do you think happens in the season 6 episode, In the Pale Moonlight, where they bring the Romulans into the war? I'm curious on what a new watcher picked up on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Who's that chick in the middle?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Justin Credible posted:

So as someone who just recently watched it - what do you think happens in the season 6 episode, In the Pale Moonlight, where they bring the Romulans into the war? I'm curious on what a new watcher picked up on.

It’s been a bit since I watched it but they make that fake holorecording and then Garak sabotages the ship, and kills the guy who made the recording, so that the imperfections in the chip will be explained away as resulting from the shuttle explosion.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Ah sure it's better fresh. But yes, that's the basic idea.

But put this in your head for the next time you watch it - Garak didn't do anything but manipulate Sisko, plant the bomb and ice the forger.

He lied to him about even contacting anyone on Cardassia and says they all died - the same lie he tells Sisko to use on the Senator later. Garak also had the data rod the whole time, and did the farce with having to find a seller to get one in order to get the bio-mimetic gel that can be made into organic explosives. He always planned the blow up the Senator, as it was always the combination of the rod plus the assassination, even if it was a perfect forgery and wasn't found out. The evidence for all this is right there in the episode, it's just a 'between the lines' thing.

Garak started a war between galactic superpowers by killing one forger, blowing up one Romulan shuttle with a senator on it, and manipulating one Starfleet officer. While in exile, with no contacts or resources to speak of, save one data rod he squirreled away for a rainy day before his exile. Not even manipulating an Admiral or a head of a Starfleet division, just a starbase commander. Maybe the best Trek character ever, and certainly the most competent agent we ever see in Trek. Section 31 and the Tal'Shiar got nothing on Garak.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Who's that chick in the middle?

ezri dax

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I hate the look of Klingons post DS9.
HATE IT.

Also Garak is the best

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Demilich posted:

I hate the look of Klingons post DS9.
HATE IT.

Also Garak is the best

:agreed:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shouldn't garak be getting dunked on nonstop by everybody?

The cardassians were arguably lamer than ferengi.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ferengi will forever be weighed down by their early TNG appearances.

Even more so than the Cardassians.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The General posted:

I honestly do not know what they were thinking with Ferengi, considering that they were trying to use them as new antagonists to replace Klingons for the TNG.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was mostly roddenberry, and by that point he was barely capable of thinking at all.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The General posted:

Even more so than the Cardassians.

Alaimo with a cardassian Lemmy stache is more disturbing than whatever that external headgear is

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My problem with the helmets is how terrible they look while covering up world class makeup.

The stashe should have been nipple length.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'd like to know what those helmets were supposed to protect against

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Big Beef City posted:

They are like bump caps for going through attics

Think about how many people in Star Trek get their faces violently introduced to consoles even at a little turbulence, much less battles like the Cardassians were fighting with the Federation

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Justin Credible posted:

They are like bump caps for going through attics

Think about how many people in Star Trek get their faces violently introduced to consoles even at a little turbulence, much less battles like the Cardassians were fighting with the Federation

I just mean by looking at them, it's the same as telling a police officer, here's your bullet proof vest and handing them a bolo tie from the 90s

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I'd think the bigger risk is TBI-type stuff rather than damage from enemy weapons fire. Ships tend to just explode unless they are really heavily combat-focused. They also have strange anatomy - side neck bones? Abominations

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Justin Credible posted:

I'd think the bigger risk is TBI-type stuff rather than damage from enemy weapons fire. Ships tend to just explode unless they are really heavily combat-focused. They also have strange anatomy - side neck bones? Abominations

If you want to theorycraft/bullshit a reason, how about it works something like a roll-cage? Protects against "most" impacts, now largely ceremonial or something.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Surprised no one’s gone with ‘airbag helmet’

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Big Beef City posted:

they actually help contain their raw sexual energy

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Cardasssians only wear that stuff around Federation personnel to confuse the poo poo out of their anthropologists.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

I honestly do not know what they were thinking with Ferengi, considering that they were trying to use them as new antagonists to replace Klingons for the TNG.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

More races need to use laser whips

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goblins who gently caress. starfleet can't handle them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Beef City posted:

Spoon damage