Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Even getting the most expensive one and probably overpaying, the Steam Deck is easily half what I paid for my desktop computer. Even when you add in the overpriced Steam Dock it's not bad for a computer that can play all your games better than your potato of a desktop counterpart. I'm at a point where I can pretty much play all the games I had on my desktop through the deck now.

It's also great because I had started to transition towards Roguelikes and platformers that already lent themselves well to using a controller, and had been using a Xbox controller for many of my games already. Much more comfy to lie in bed and play games than sit on the computer.

Only bummer is inconsistent battery drain since it doesn't always seem proportional to the system demands of some games, guess it's just iffy optimization of all these early access games I have slapped together with duct tape and spaghetti code. Also since I spent a chunk of change on this thing I'm constantly fretting about it getting dropped, stolen or broken which makes me balk at taking it places outside of home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Steam deck has been not only my favourite but most substantially 'game-changing' video game related purchase I've ever made.

The Orange Box was good, it was very good, but holy gently caress goddamn, this is The System for Me.

I mean, I just downloaded Shenmue 1 and 2, games I haven't played in literally over 20 years (well, for Shenmue 1). I got Crazy Taxi, Quake, literally all of the Doom games, a bunch of indie games I never finished from a decade ago, and my wife and our friends play Sea of Thieves nightly while hanging out on discord (that I'm using through the Deck).

It's somehow more than perfect.

I mean, I bought Splatoon 3 when it came out and really loved it. Really, really loved it. I got my Steam Deck on October 3rd, and actually haven't touched Splatoon 3 since. I actually feel kind of bad about that but :shrug:

I'll be putting in some time on our Switch when Goldeneye comes out tomorrow, I'm hoping my sons will love multiplayer as much as I used to, as they absolutely love ScreenCheat, but once that kind of wears off.... maybe I'll install the fan-modded Goldeneye and Perfect Dark ports on the Deck. Because I can.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

Even getting the most expensive one and probably overpaying, the Steam Deck is easily half what I paid for my desktop computer. Even when you add in the overpriced Steam Dock it's not bad for a computer that can play all your games better than your potato of a desktop counterpart. I'm at a point where I can pretty much play all the games I had on my desktop through the deck now.

It's also great because I had started to transition towards Roguelikes and platformers that already lent themselves well to using a controller, and had been using a Xbox controller for many of my games already. Much more comfy to lie in bed and play games than sit on the computer.

Only bummer is inconsistent battery drain since it doesn't always seem proportional to the system demands of some games, guess it's just iffy optimization of all these early access games I have slapped together with duct tape and spaghetti code. Also since I spent a chunk of change on this thing I'm constantly fretting about it getting dropped, stolen or broken which makes me balk at taking it places outside of home.

I spent $500 on a GTX 4080 and I spend almost all my gaming time on my 256GB Steam Deck.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Playing games on the Deck gives me the same joy I got from getting games on my Switch back in 2017. Except this time, half my library already exists on this platform and is a download away.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

VideoGames posted:

The decky plugin SteamGridDB makes me so happy. I love organising my libraries and there is such lovely art to choose from. I do have to press the menu button twice to get the choose artwork option to pop up though but I am completely willing to do this because it is so simple.

This is ultimately what pushed me over the edge to install Decky and I could t be happier. Sure, I told myself I could deal with missing artwork and icons (until I went and manually added it all) — the plug-in makes it so easy!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bob A Feet posted:

Playing games on the Deck gives me the same joy I got from getting games on my Switch back in 2017. Except this time, half my library already exists on this platform and is a download away.

It owns knowing that no matter how many Steam Decks they poo poo out, I won't lose access to any of my Steam Library or anything that comes out on Steam.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Party Boat posted:

Despite owning all three games for years (thanks humble bundles) I never played a dark souls. A fromsoft loving friend reminded me of them over Christmas do I decided to give the first one a go on deck and ended up completing it including optional bosses and now I'm into DS2. The time that I get to game in front of a TV or at my desk is short and prone to interruptions so if I hadn't been able to grab a quick session before bed on the deck I really doubt I'd have gotten into it enough to get hooked. Now I think I'm going to play the full trilogy on this little thing.

This but for the Yakuza series
Beat LAD and working on 0 and then got a few more to play through while sitting in bed.
Just makes my giant rear end steam library so much more accessible

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Lets try to play Company of Heroes like the old days, except this time using airplane wifi

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a wiki or site out there that gives be all end all guides for best performance for deck games? Getting tired of watching 20 minute YouTube vids for performance settings on certain games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's a Decky app that allows you to see other people configs and stuff and apply them, however, there's so many games on Steam a lot of the games I looked up configs for just didn't have anything.

There's also a Wiki and site out there too, but I don't know if those are up to date.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man travel is so much nicer with the Deck.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The steam deck retroactively justifies my 3000+ steam library and I’m actually finishing games these days, including some classic console games I’ve never played.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's a god machine. now if only there's workable controls for UItima Underworld 1&2 and exalt Ultima7+SI and I'd be in heaven. I haven't looked since I know it's probably impossible/PITA

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'll echo all the endorsements.

I grew up in the early 2000s era of gaming and fell out of love with it around 2008-2009.
I've tried so many times to get back into it; multiple PC builds, some consoles with the kids. Nada.

Somehow the Steam Deck brought back a ton of that joy and ease of play (pick up and dont think about it) with a huge PC library built in. Its the most substantial gaming I've actually enjoyed in over 20 years.

I kinda hate the feel of the plastic they used, but it's so incredibly minor I'd still give it a 10/10

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Y'all got me too hyped, just ordered my Deck. So stoked!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Installed Hi-Fi Rush on the deck tonight. Next thing I knew an hour and a half had disappeared.

Great game.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thinking about getting a deck, but I can only really afford the cheapest model. How does this thing run games off an sd card?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Thinking about getting a deck, but I can only really afford the cheapest model. How does this thing run games off an sd card?

Mostly fine. Installs can take longer but games should run perfectly fine.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I've been trying to get emudeck stuff set up and working. Both emulators I tried made my steamdeck completely stop responding to input from the controls. None of the buttons or sticks or trackpads did anything. I tried to close it with Steam+B, nothing. Does that even work in desktop mode? I don't know. The power button didn't even put it to sleep or anything. I'd set up an ssh connection to it earlier, and was able to kill the emulator through that, after which the deck responded to the controls again, though the left trackpad no longer acted like a scrollwheel. That was back to normal after a restart.

Well that was weird and a little frustrating, but I'm glad I'd taken the time to enable ssh , and that it's even capable of such a thing. I've also got tons of actual steam games to play, so I'm not even that bummed about those not working. I still love this little machine, even though I've spent more time tinkering with it than I have playing games. I'm sure that will change.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why were you in desktop mode?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Because I didn't have links to the emudeck stuff in game mode

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The real question: how hard is Dead Space gonna make this hardware sweat

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jokes posted:

I spent $500 on a GTX 4080

how in the

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RandolphCarter posted:

It's fine. I have no idea which games are installed on which and don't notice any difference.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

skeletronics posted:

Because I didn't have links to the emudeck stuff in game mode

During the EmuDeck setup it adds them as non-steam games. In game mode, in your library, go to the tab furthest right. If they're not there, try the setup again and pay attention.

The force-close button combination has not once worked for me when I've needed it to.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

During the EmuDeck setup it adds them as non-steam games. In game mode, in your library, go to the tab furthest right. If they're not there, try the setup again and pay attention.

The force-close button combination has not once worked for me when I've needed it to.

It only adds them as non steam games if you use the Rom manager thing afterwards to add them as non steam games.

Also if you’re gonna do this be aware it closes steam so it can do its thing and you have to use the hosed up defaults to navigate in the meantime, so you’re better off connecting remotely with something like anydesk to do it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It adds Emulation Station by itself even if you don't launch Steam Rom Manager.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
FWIW I think it looks better to add them as steam entries between the use of banners and such but if you have tripple digit numbers of roms or more obscure games that don't get scrapped easily, emustation is the better bet.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 27, 2023

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Here's a substitute PSU for $15 that's equivalent to the OE one. I've mentioned this one before, just BYO cable.

Heran Bago posted:

If you have a big piece of metal around you can get in the habit of touching it to discharge yourself.

Yeah but I can't do that too often otherwise I'll chafe.... :ohdear:

skeletronics posted:

I got my deck a few days ago, but was too busy over the weekend to spend much time with it until late last night. I wound up staying up way too late, lying in bed playing some grindy numbers go up type game. Today my roommate mentioned that while he was up late playing Civ, he kept seeing a steam notification that I'd started playing that game. He said it was happening like every 2 to 5 minutes for a long time. Is this a known issue? I forgot those notifications exist because I turned them off long ago. I don't like the idea of unknowingly spamming my friends list with notifications, though.

e: I set myself to invisible, but that's probably not a good long term solution since some friends do occasionally contact me through steam chat.

I've seen this before but I can't tell if it's a connection issue or if the person is actually closing/re-launching the game. :shrug:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I want to get a charging stand/dock, because I want to be able to just drop the Deck onto something to charge it. I doubt I'll hook this up to a TV (the TV I would hook it up to is already attached to a more powerful PC) so I don't really care too much about the fancy features on the official Dock. What's a good cheap option?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Chinook posted:

I want to get a charging stand/dock, because I want to be able to just drop the Deck onto something to charge it. I doubt I'll hook this up to a TV (the TV I would hook it up to is already attached to a more powerful PC) so I don't really care too much about the fancy features on the official Dock. What's a good cheap option?

So there's not really anything in the Switch-style drop-and-charge setup if that's what you had in mind, almost everything is going to require you to plug in a cable to the top of the unit to charge.

That in mind the absolute cheapest option would just be to drop something like this near a power outlet: https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Frosted-Aluminum-Playstand-Anti-Slip/dp/B09YY1NSBX/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As far as I know, there's nothing readily available that would put a charging connector on the bottom for simple docking, so you'll always have to plug in the cable.

E:f;b

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

KozmoNaut posted:

As far as I know, there's nothing readily available that would put a charging connector on the bottom for simple docking, so you'll always have to plug in the cable.

E:f;b

Yes, that makes sense, really. I should just build a simple stand to hold it, but it's too cold to go out and try to make something with wood, haha.

Vegastar, that cheap Jsaux stand might be exactly what I need. I'll get a little velcro grip to cinch the cable to the back of it, and that'll be perfect. Great suggestion!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

What's the best way to get Game Pass stuff on the Deck? Stream it from my PC with Moonlight?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dual boot windows

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Postman posted:

What's the best way to get Game Pass stuff on the Deck? Stream it from my PC with Moonlight?
Streaming through Xcloud is the only officially supported way of doing it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dual boot windows
Or this. Microsoft is never going to make Game Pass games installable on Linux.

E: Actually since we're on streaming, I set up GeForce Now last night to try it out since every time I've used it up to now it's been over a wired connection. I spent a full half hour playing Yooka Laylee through it and it worked pretty well, though I probably wouldn't pay for it unless there was something I absolutely couldn't play on Deck. It is still the only way to play Genshin on Deck as far as I know though come the gently caress on Valve you showed it on Deck in that Japanese launch video.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 27, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You can’t add Game Pass games to Steam (on Windows), can you? You can launch them, but without Steam input support afaik.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can't no, Game Pass games need to be launched from the Xbox app. I don't think you can involve Steam with them at any part of the process.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

You can't no, Game Pass games need to be launched from the Xbox app. I don't think you can involve Steam with them at any part of the process.

Targeting the Persona 5R exe launches the game, but without the Steam overlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Postman posted:

Just stream it directly from the cloud thing if you’re gonna be streaming it anyway, they published an official guide to add it as a shortcut in gaming mode and everything.