Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hellioning posted:

Goddamn 19 is a clever map.
i just beat it myself, it owns

had to rewind multiple times because i would have one unit die, go back in time to fix that, and then the boss would go "oh, okay" and run halfway across the map to one-shot a different unit entirely, using a weapon that they didn't have before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Are the enrage mechanics some bosses get after losing a healthbar significant? So far, I've been making sure that I can actually burst down a boss in one turn before attempting to fight them, but I assume I'll eventually not be able to do so

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm debating getting the expansion, I'm so far pleased with the game compared to being horribly bored by 3h

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

posadas posted:

Are the enrage mechanics some bosses get after losing a healthbar significant? So far, I've been making sure that I can actually burst down a boss in one turn before attempting to fight them, but I assume I'll eventually not be able to do so

Yes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Leif's paralogue was a real motherfucker, especially since I stubbornly wanted to get that extra like 3000 gold from the top right corner. Pretty fun map though, I liked how the initial bunch of enemies with drops running away forces you into strategies that aren't just "bait the ballista with louis three turns in a row".

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm debating getting the expansion, I'm so far pleased with the game compared to being horribly bored by 3h

If you want to break the game in two, Tiki is there for you enhancing everyones growth rate by 15%. Also no real grinding in this game, skirmishes start to spawn after ch7 on hard and like ch11 on maddening? But theyre limited and take real time to re-appear.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Very rad of IS to make the sado-masochistic villain (Griss) a mage instead of a Berserker/Warrior/Wyvern Lord type

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

If you want to break the game in two, Tiki is there for you enhancing everyones growth rate by 15%. Also no real grinding in this game, skirmishes start to spawn after ch7 on hard and like ch11 on maddening? But theyre limited and take real time to re-appear.

I got skirmishes earlier on hard I think but I did invest in the area.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

But theyre limited and take real time to re-appear.

If you really want to grind them, you can spawn more by messing with your system clock.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, as you progress enemies really start abusing stuff like Chain Attacks against you just as much as you do it against them, huh? I kinda like it, definitely makes juggernauting all but impossible.

I was introduced to that as early as... chapter 5? The one that introduces chests and there's a side way in. I stuck Louis in what I thought was a good choke point and there were three guys chain attacking him any time someone took a 0 damage potshot. That adds up quickly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Great Sacrifice has an unmentioned effect: absolute boatload of XP. I don't know if it's based on amount healed, # of units healed, or just registers everyone regardless of health, but I used it at the end of a map to make sure I was fresh for one last turn of taking a boss to the face and gained 80-100 XP straight up.

On a different note, is there a reason not to promote before using second seal? Both require level 10 anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Second Sealing knocks you down to level 1 so if you want to promote and change class you always want to Master seal first.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Post Ch22 spoilers, but I really dig this wild pastel color palette.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Great Sacrifice has an unmentioned effect: absolute boatload of XP. I don't know if it's based on amount healed, # of units healed, or just registers everyone regardless of health, but I used it at the end of a map to make sure I was fresh for one last turn of taking a boss to the face and gained 80-100 XP straight up.

On a different note, is there a reason not to promote before using second seal? Both require level 10 anyway.

If you can set up formations where you can hit 5 units with a healing staff you can do that as well, so Micaiah is easily the best one for exp and sp gain.

And no, always promote before second sealing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
From what I can tell the xp gain is dependend on the level difference, so if you great sacrifice a bunch of benched low level units with a high level healer you won't gain much.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So when does this game get hard

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
game sucks so bad

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
ngl gonna lie I love that the final paralogue opens up after getting the Fire Emblem, and the reward is an engagement ring, so Alear and your favorite character can finally get Fire Embem Engaged

I'm a simple guy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I married a clown, and that's okay.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleared Tiki's paralogue and... it wasn't that bad? Yeah it took me 40t but I never felt like I wasn't advancing, I jist left a small squad at the entrance (since Alcryst could one-shot dragons with Longbow) and went on to unlock the seals. Only scary parts were when enemies started moving earlier than expexted. And also wasting too many Rescue uses for the Silver card and more.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Someone help me with chapter 10 on maddening. It's basically impossible to guess who Hortensia is going for other than Alear because of how many different weapons she has, she can kill most of my units in a turn or two and I can't burst her down in 1 turn because my team is split up. It's also impossible to bait her with Alear because she does more damage than I have HP and never misses thanks to her personal skill. Is it possible to stick to the outside of the level and not trigger her at all until all the other units are dead?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Engage Hard isn't that hard compared to Conquest Hard.

But it is significantly more fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway, Chapters 10 & 11 were really great. Game has some fantastic maps.

Also, a thing i'm really starting to appreciate about the game is that its the first game since the rewind was introduced where it feels like it meshes well with other systems. In Echoes it was there to paper over some of the jank. In 3H it was just a wildly overpowered tool compared to the general difficulty. But here even with like 10 charges it feels pretty fair. Its very easy to miss some mechanic with stuff like enemy engages and then eat poo poo for it so the rewind helps make those feel more fair and balanced. And even stuff like Engage using Fates wonky accuracy system is more palatable when if you want to waste a precious resource you can simply reroll.

Game's a delight to play. Having a blast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conquest Hard was too hard for me; I never made it past chapter 10.

Engage Hard I'm not sure is easier, but it does have the rewind button which is a huge quality of life improvement. I absolutely hate having to restart a map, and I love that it lets the enemy pull outright dirty tricks. My favorite is still (chapter 19) the boss using Micaiah's staff AoE to warp groups of units in your face, and then using rescue on the other boss when aggroed. It even taught me a cool trick that I've definitely abused in future chapters!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Engages are such a good mechanic. I'm so bummed they'll probably never appear again. :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Alfred has rapidly become one of my favorite characters in the game, especially after the Alfred/Celine A support, which feels like one of the longest and most involved supports I've seen in an FE game.

Celine finds Alfred working out again and starts to playfully tease him for being a dumb barbarian musclehead as she usually does. He starts off with his cheerful obliviousness schtick, and quickly grinds to a halt as he starts to have some kind of painful attack that leaves him doubled over and gasping. A couple of other supports mention it, but Alfred used to be afflicted with some kind of debilitating disease that almost killed him as a child. Everyone thought he had beaten it and it was gone, but the reveal here is that it's not - he still has it, and it still causes him horrible pain and issues, and all of the frantic bodybuilding musclehead poo poo is him desperately forcing himself to try to become stronger so he can overpower the disease that almost killed him.

Celine is horrified and says she's going to get help, and he yells at her to stop. She asks why - everyone on the Somniel is super nice and understanding and would eagerly help Alfred with no judgement. He responds that he absolutely can't stand the thought of accepting their pity and feeling like a useless burden, and that it's his life's wish to be strong like he believes a prince should be. Celine doesn't agree but accepts this, with a warning that if he should ever get seriously worse, she'll tell everyone anyway, which he in turn accepts.

The conversation turns to them both ruminating about finding happiness and purpose in life, with Alfred asking what would make Celine the happiest and Celine responding that she doesn't believe in chasing after a particular thing to make her happy and instead believes in finding little bits of happiness in day to day life. Alfred points out that she has a four leaf clover by her foot where they're talking, and how that's a small happiness because it reminds him of when they used to spend time together as kids.

The entire thing is very sweet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Engages are such a good mechanic. I'm so bummed they'll probably never appear again. :(
engages exactly wont appear again but itd be easy to reflavor the basic concept. like if you made another game with fe4/three houses style holy blood/crests, you could flavor it as them tapping into their legendary ancestors' power or whatever. it'd remove the swappability but itd be an interesting way to make the dichotomy between normal people and those with the holy blood have a bigger gameplay impact.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You could probably do something similar in like, FE4, but instead of the rings and Stands you could tie it into the holy weapons, like you temporarily tap into their power. It wouldn't work in actual FE4 because of the story and holy blood of course, but it wouldn't be too bad to make a similar thing in future games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

An idea so nice we had it twice

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I do hope they keep some semblance of it going forward. I wasn't really feeling it in the previews beyond the aesthetics but now that i've had some time with the game it just works so well. Both with the players and the enemies. Really impressive that they pretty much nailed the mechanic the first time it appeared. Usually these things take a couple of games.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd really rather not have a revisit of FE4's mad unit disparity; the nice thing about Engaging is that anyone can do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd really rather not have a revisit of FE4's mad unit disparity; the nice thing about Engaging is that anyone can do it.
i think fe4's mad unit disparity is cool honestly, it fits the plot and you deploy everyone anyway so everyone sees combat in a casual run (except arden and hannibal)

having units who have to work together to handle grunt waves and guys who can solo entire sections of the map is cool

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No I like it just fine in FE4, I just don't want them to do it again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bad news for the fe4 remake :bustem:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I really, really enjoy Engage pretty much just shooting class-based skill grinding into the sun and instead putting most of the powerful customization options on modular items you can move around freely. It's enormously superior to the concept of dragging characters through classes you don't actually want them to be in because you're trying to pick up specific skills in order to deploy them with their Exodia skillset in their final intended class three stages before the end of the game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wish there was an easy way to get SP for characters. There’s a whole bunch of skills I want to put on them but I don’t have access to Micaiah yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

from what i've seen, relying too much on defensive play will only make your life harder on a lot of maddening maps. if you just let the enemies come to you they can completely overwhelm you, the AI has hard counters for a lot of turtling strats

Again I don't feel like this is true. Now in fairness I'm only up to chapter 17, but I've never really felt like the game could overwhelm a properly played murderball. The chapter that came closest was the Timerra fog map and that was broadly "oops here's a Wyvern Lord from the fog. "

Miftan posted:

Someone help me with chapter 10 on maddening. It's basically impossible to guess who Hortensia is going for other than Alear because of how many different weapons she has, she can kill most of my units in a turn or two and I can't burst her down in 1 turn because my team is split up. It's also impossible to bait her with Alear because she does more damage than I have HP and never misses thanks to her personal skill. Is it possible to stick to the outside of the level and not trigger her at all until all the other units are dead?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to do that.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Miftan posted:

The trick is that you have to regroup your units all on one side after dealing with her retainers, even on Hard I couldn't beat with half my army on either side of her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scrap Dragon posted:

The trick is that you have to regroup your units all on one side after dealing with her retainers, even on Hard I couldn't beat with half my army on either side of her.

I split up on maddening and it was fine. She smashed Alear down to 1 HP with a swing from Luin but then died on the next turn, no harm no foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My strategy (on hard) has mostly boiled down to putting one of my unkillable units (Yunaka, Framme, Timerra on their own, Alear and Anna with some support) in front, drawing the enemy towards my squishier murderball, murdering them, and repeating. Maps are varied enough that this doesn't get dull, but the base strategy holds. That Framme and Yunaka also do ridiculous damage to anything that isn't a general doesn't hurt.